Nassau Coliseum 2003

2»

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,176
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I was at that show. You can disagree with the sentiment, but the crowd was well within their rights. Political statements can be antagonistic - that's just how it goes.
    I still don't see what those in the crowd didn't understand about or couldn't separate about what Eddie said.

...I mean... come on...

Edit: maybe I am misremembering what Eddie said... but I don't think so..
    It was the Bush mask and song choice. Given the area and timing, people were still pretty sensitive. I don't think there's anything wrong with what Ed did but it was provocative like good art often is.
    Criticizing a war criminal and an unjust war slaughtering thousands of civilians =/= 9/11

Still don't see why it would be hard to separate. The mask or the song.

Never gotten that moment. Even in the cinema in copenhagen when I saw the doc it was like - what even is this...
    I went to 8 or 10 shows on that tour, all in the Northeast from Philly to Boston. The Bush mask stuff would always get a few people worked up but it's wild how much of a crazy outlier this particular show was. I have seen about a thousand shows in my life of all shapes and sizes and have never experienced a crowd reaction like that on such a level.

All that to say I think 99% of the time your position holds. They'd get a few jeers but most people know the deal. Attempting to make a retroactive rhetorical argument against the audience is a waste of time. Just sit back and marvel at a truly unique night.
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
    edited October 2020
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I was at that show. You can disagree with the sentiment, but the crowd was well within their rights. Political statements can be antagonistic - that's just how it goes.
    I still don't see what those in the crowd didn't understand about or couldn't separate about what Eddie said.

...I mean... come on...

It was the Bush mask and song choice. Given the area and timing, people were still pretty sensitive. I don't think there's anything wrong with what Ed did but it was provocative like good art often is.
    Criticizing a war criminal and an unjust war slaughtering thousands of civilians =/= 9/11

Never gotten that moment. Even in the cinema in copenhagen when I saw the doc it was like - what even is this...
    I went to 8 or 10 shows on that tour, all in the Northeast from Philly to Boston. The Bush mask stuff would always get a few people worked up but it's wild how much of a crazy outlier this particular show was. I have seen about a thousand shows in my life of all shapes and sizes and have never experienced a crowd reaction like that on such a level.

All that to say I think 99% of the time your position holds. They'd get a few jeers but most people know the deal. Attempting to make a retroactive rhetorical argument against the audience is a waste of time. Just sit back and marvel at a truly unique night.
    Funny you mentioned the Philly show. You know who Ed went after at that show? Joe Biden. Crazy to even think about
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

...I mean... come on...

They only played bush leaguer one time that tour in the northeast. Did Ed bring out just the mask at other shows?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 629
    It got awkward but nothing real New Yorkers can’t handle.

Regardless I’m so happy they haven’t played in Long Island since.

09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Ed should read this:

em·pa·thy
    /ˈempəTHē/
    noun
    1. the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

We've long since forgiven his lack thereof. He can make it up to us by making their first post-COVID shows a week long stand at the Nassau Coliseum. 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,131
    edited October 2020
    Ed should read this:

em·pa·thy
    /ˈempəTHē/
    noun

We've long since forgiven his lack thereof. He can make it up to us by making their first post-COVID shows a week long stand at the Nassau Coliseum. 
    What he said still had nothing to do with whatever they were booing about.

I still think that reaction to someone criticising an unjust war and acts of war crimes is irrational. 

Lol, "empathy".

Apples and oranges.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,687
    I was scared and disgusted.  Some trashy girl in front of me reached in her jeans and threw a used tampon.  I almost vomited.  I don’t think it hit anyone.  I hope not.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,943
    😂
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 629
    mvw said:
    I was scared and disgusted.  Some trashy girl in front of me reached in her jeans and threw a used tampon.  I almost vomited.  I don’t think it hit anyone.  I hope not.
    Long Island @ it’s finest 

🤦‍♂️ 
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Ed should read this:

em·pa·thy
    /ˈempəTHē/
    noun

What he said still had nothing to do with whatever they were booing about.

I still think that reaction to someone criticising an unjust war and acts of war crimes is irrational. 

Lol, "empathy".

Apples and oranges.
    Lol. I was half joking.  But, it is about empathy.  You're misconstruing what that was about. You're making it about Bush, etc.  LIers were making it about the fact that there were still massive scars that were healing and Ed ripped them right off without any empathy for what they might be thinking just so he could make a political point.  There were towns that had a large swath of families massively impacted that left communities at large with gaping holes.  And he went right for the open wound.  You had to be in that place and time to understand that.  He didn't at the time. He's now had time to think about it. So, Jeff can take his "art" and stick it up his ass. It's one thing to try to make people uncomfortable. It's quite another to do it as they did. It's not about Bush. Let's be clear about that. Yes, that was the lightning rod. But, don't mistake that as the meaning behind the feeling.

This also does not mean Ed (or Jeff) cannot and is never empathetic. But, in this situation he was 100% in the wrong and it's good they felt it collectively. I do wonder if they've ever  thought about what they really did and reconsidered their righteousness.

So, you, my friend are on pineapples and baseballs.  Mine was not.  

That being said - PJ should come be "brave" and play Long Island and all will be forgiven.  lol. lol. lol.  (are those enough lol's to make you understand where this is coming from?)
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

...I mean... come on...

They only played bush leaguer one time that tour in the northeast. Did Ed bring out just the mask at other shows?
    I definitely saw that routine more than once. I would have guessed it was Bushleaguer each time but apparently not. I'll scan the setlists and see if anything rings a bell.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    I remember him just putting the mask up on the mic stand, not doing bushleager at some shows, maybe during porch. I dont recall which shows.
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

...I mean... come on...

Funny you mentioned the Philly show. You know who Ed went after at that show? Joe Biden. Crazy to even think about
    Funny. Looking at the schedule I didn't realize they did a proper Philly show that year. I caught them once or twice in Camden so I must have missed the Biden attack.
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

...I mean... come on...

Funny. Looking at the schedule I didn't realize they did a proper Philly show that year. I caught them once or twice in Camden so I must have missed the Biden attack.
    Spectrum 03 had one of the loudest crowds ever.   That show was amazing.   
    RS65573 said:
    I remember him just putting the mask up on the mic stand, not doing bushleager at some shows, maybe during porch. I dont recall which shows.
    Yeah, I definitely remember the routine. FWIW, they played Bushleaguer night 1 Mansfield so that must have been one of the other times I saw it.
    mvw said:
    Were you sitting behind Donita Sparks?
    edited October 2020
    pjl44 said:
    RS65573 said:
    Yeah, I definitely remember the routine. FWIW, they played Bushleaguer night 1 Mansfield so that must have been one of the other times I saw it.
    I didn’t realize they played it again that tour in the northeast .  Good call.  How was it received at that show?
  • mvw said:
    Her name was Angela or Gina. No doubt about it
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,943
    edited October 2020
    Jerry: I don't see you as a Susie. Sharon, maybe.

Elaine: What am I, a bulimic, chain-smoking stenographer from Staten Island?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 1,194
    Agree with @mcgruff10 / the show was gearing up to be an all time great (I mean Long Road into RVM, the list goes on) and it ended up becoming an epic show for other reasons.  I wasn't up front so didn't witness anything other than the booing but now I can pretty much recite Ed's speech word for word and you can hear that one guys screaming "Play rock n roll" on the boot.  Pretty powerful stuff.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL), 5/16/24 (NV), 5/18/24 (NV), 5/28/24 (WA), 5/30/24 (WA), 8/29/24 (IL), 8/31/24 (IL), 9/3/24 (NY), 9/4/24 (NY), 9/7/24 (PA), 9/12/24 (MD), 9/15/24 (MA), 9/17/24 (MA)