Options

International Shipping cost increase

vi7alogyvi7alogy Posts: 65
edited October 2020 in The Porch
Hi everyone. Long time member. First time poster. 

I just wanted to gauge everyone's thoughts on international shipping costs.

I have always ordered from the Ten Club store and been reasonably happy for shipping as an international customer. I understand costs for shipping to international destinations would be high and accepted these. 

I went to order the MOLINE 10/17/2014 VAULT #10 VINYL and saw that shipping to Australia had increased to $72.99 US ($102.33 Australian). This is a significant increase, as when I have ordered in the past, standard international shipping has been $35.99 US ($50.46 Australian).

The reply from the Ten Club when I questioned the increase was as follows:

---

There are a couple different reasons for the change in the Vault shipping fees this time around.

The first is that this, unlike previous releases, is a 4 disc set, adding enough weight to cross into the 5 lb (2.3 kilo) weight class. There is a significant increase in the shipping cost for that 1 lb jump.

Shipping rates almost always increase incrementally each year. Ten Club does its best to stand pat on our rates as long as possible, and in the past has drastically undercharged for Vault and other releases.

Furthermore, some time in the last year, the Universal Postal Union convened an Extraordinary Congress, a meeting of all nations, to review a shipping rate system that had been in place for almost 150 years, and move to a “self-declared” system with each country setting their own terminal dues. This provided each country an opportunity to raise rates where they deemed appropriate. This along, with actions such as Brexit, has resulted in increased shipping rates the world over.

The Vault is also available at our UK/EU store here - https://pearljam.probitymerch.com/products/a9e9c1a3-f32f-4a08-a38f-4c3eee0c673a
For specifics on shipping fees in our EU/UK store, please contact service@musicglue.com

---

Having checked the EU/UK store, the cost of shipping to Australia ($309.67 Australian) is nearly four times the cost of the vinyl itself ($87.23 Australian).

This is making it increasingly harder for international customers like myself to be able to afford merchandise from the store, especially in the current climate. 

I have been a long time member and fan. I have often missed out on Ten Club exclusives due to time differences in release times between the States and Australia, but whenever I can get an item, I always will. But I find it hard to justify this major increase to shipping for international customers. 

Just wanted to see what others thought, particularly non-US customers. 

Cheers. 
Post edited by vi7alogy on

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    edited October 2020

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited October 2020
    £3.99 shipping here in the UK. Everyone outside of the UK or US seems to be getting ridiculous shipping costs. Feels like the kind of thing I should be ordering a few of.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,736
    FR181798 said:
    £3.99 shipping here in the UK. Everyone outside of the UK or US seems to be getting ridiculous shipping costs. Feels like the kind of thing I should be ordering a few of.

Blows my mind it's only £3.99 shipping in the UK. It's what $16 bucks for those who live in the USA? 

Just hope we don't get hit with customs here in Canada on our Vault vinyl. If Canada Post delivers it to us, we might not have to pay for customs. But if it's delivered by UPS, might have to go to Canada customs & complete the B-15 form.

It was $47.94 to ship to Atlantic Canada.

• Options
    FR181798 said:
    It just dawned me that I have a virtual address in Northern Ireland (which I normally use for purchases from Amazon UK) and I could have saved lots of money with the shipment to Ireland which is £47 if I had used my brain properly. 
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,692
    FR181798 said:
    It just dawned me that I have a virtual address in Northern Ireland (which I normally use for purchases from Amazon UK) and I could have saved lots of money with the shipment to Ireland which is £47 if I had used my brain properly. 
    I changed my shipping to a northern Ireland address.
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    vi7alogy said:

I have always ordered from the Ten Club store and been reasonably happy for shipping as an international customer. I understand costs for shipping to international destinations would be high and accepted these. 

I went to order the MOLINE 10/17/2014 VAULT #10 VINYL and saw that shipping to Australia had increased to $72.99 US ($102.33 Australian). This is a significant increase, as when I have ordered in the past, standard international shipping has been $35.99 US ($50.46 Australian).

---

There are a couple different reasons for the change in the Vault shipping fees this time around.

The first is that this, unlike previous releases, is a 4 disc set, adding enough weight to cross into the 5 lb (2.3 kilo) weight class. There is a significant increase in the shipping cost for that 1 lb jump.

Shipping rates almost always increase incrementally each year. Ten Club does its best to stand pat on our rates as long as possible, and in the past has drastically undercharged for Vault and other releases.

As I mentioned in Santos' initial "psst... 10/10/2020" thread, it only cost $15.99 to ship Neil Young's 'Archives II' box set to Sydney.
    That box set weighs in at almost 7lb, making it heavier than a Vault, so the part in bold does not sit well with me at all.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    Stinks^^. I mailed my bud 4 records from US to Ireland it cost $60. Not worth it.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    goldrush said:
    vi7alogy said:

---

As I mentioned in Santos' initial "psst... 10/10/2020" thread, it only cost $15.99 to ship Neil Young's 'Archives II' box set to Sydney.
    That box set weighs in at almost 7lb, making it heavier than a Vault, so the part in bold does not sit well with me at all.

I'm finding it hard to find too many stores left in the US that can ship a single record for under $20.   Shipping out of the US seems to keep getting more expensive :(

10c (Except for that one wierd period in time) has always been a pricier that say indie stores that ship via usps, but overall there does seem to be some correlations between the trend of international shipping going up almost everywhere and 10c's shipping prices going up too.
  • Options
    To the OP:  research the rates with the United States Postal Service. If those rates are materially less, I’m sure you could find a US resident on these boards to ship to from 10c and that person can then send to you.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023