Options

Pearl Jam and Philosophy (New Book Coming Out November)

igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,407
edited March 2021 in The Porch
New book coming out next year.
https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/pearl-jam-and-philosophy-9781501362798/?fbclid=IwAR3qeqNW9JUu6lHgyjMDP3RzMyeKCETIs3HqkTVjr0Qwsg6IqS69oBaoNwQ

Pearl Jam and Philosophy Hardcover – November 4, 2021 by Stefano Marino (Editor), Andrea Schembari (Editor)
http://amzn.to/3cjRAQn

I miss igotid88
Post edited by igotid88 on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,852
    List price: $120.00

Damn!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Stefano Marino
    In 2021, 30th anniversary of "Ten", we will celebrate the anniversary with the very first book of philosophical interpretations of the songs of Pearl Jam: "Pearl Jam and Philosophy", Bloomsbury Academic Publishing, forthcoming :)

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    demetrios said:
    List price: $120.00

Damn!
    Yeah, but what's the shipping cost?

Too soon?
  • Options
    The list price is higher than the average new book because it's coming from the academic publishing side of Bloomsbury. A lot of university and other academic libraries purchase at that initial price point. It's like the prices video rental stores paid for new VHS tapes back in the day. Depending on the publisher/title, some academic books eventually have a lower price point, especially if the book has a paperback printing.

That said, I don't know anything specific about the price/publishing of this book. But I suspect that many regulars won't be disappointed if they make the $120 investment...

As a contributor, though, I am really excited! There's going to be lots of great stuff on a variety of topics. For me, it was finally a chance to write about some ideas and thoughts that had been rolling around in my head for years.
  • Options
    SM236947 said:
    The list price is higher than the average new book because it's coming from the academic publishing side of Bloomsbury. A lot of university and other academic libraries purchase at that initial price point. It's like the prices video rental stores paid for new VHS tapes back in the day. Depending on the publisher/title, some academic books eventually have a lower price point, especially if the book has a paperback printing.

That said, I don't know anything specific about the price/publishing of this book. But I suspect that many regulars won't be disappointed if they make the $120 investment...

As a contributor, though, I am really excited! There's going to be lots of great stuff on a variety of topics. For me, it was finally a chance to write about some ideas and thoughts that had been rolling around in my head for years.

Thanks for clarifying. If I can get a copy here in Canada then I'll be happy. :) 
  • Options
    From the same people putting out Not For You Pearl Jam and the Present Tense 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    stemarinostemarino Posts: 10
    edited October 2020
    Yes, I understand that the price of the hardcover version of the forthcoming collection of essays 'Pearl Jam and Philosophy', edited by Andrea Schembari and me as both academic scholars and long-time Pearl Jam fans, is very high, and - as already noted in one of the comments above - this depends on the fact that the book is coming from the academic publishing side of Bloomsbury, and this is not unusual for academic books that are often purchased at that initial price by university and other academic libraries. 
    I have recently finished working at another collection of essays, in that case on Immanuel Kant's philosophy rather than on the philosophical contents and implications in Pearl Jam songs, and also the price of the hardcover version of the Kant book, published by a German academic publisher, is very high. So, as I said, this is not unusual for academic books. https://www.degruyter.com/view/title/537494
    As editors of this book and also authors of two chapters included in it, we surely hope that the publisher may decide after some months to also have a paperback printing at a lower price, but please understand that this does not depend on us as authors or editors of the book, but it only depends on the publisher.
    As editor of this book and author of one of its chapters, I fully agree with what I have read in the comment above. It is really exciting, as an academic scholar of philosophy and at the same time a long-time Pearl Jam fan ever since my teens, to work at this book which allowed to all of us, the authors of the single essays collected in 'Pearl Jam and Philosophy', to write about some ideas and thoughts that had been rolling around in our heads for years or even decades.
    As we learn from the refrain of 'Even Flow', sometimes 'thoughts arrive like butterflies' and indeed the idea to plan, realize and publish a book like this came to my and Andrea's minds while we were in Firenze in June 2017, waiting for Eddie Vedder to go on stage and perform his - absolutely unforgettable - solo concert at the 'Firenze Rocks' festival. We were there, waiting for the concert to start, and we suddenly thought 'Well, we are academic scholars, we write articles and books on a variety of philosophical and literary topics for our work, when we were young our lives were saved by Pearl Jam - freely referring to Lou Reed's famous song 'Rock 'n' Roll', of course -, and there are so many philosophical aspects that can be found in so many Pearl Jam songs, so one day we should definitely write a book on Pearl Jam and philosophy'. We are so happy, sincerely happy, that our idea spontaneously emerged before Eddie Vedder's concert in Firenze 2017 finally became a book, that we are currently working at and that we will publish in 2021, for the 30th anniversary of 'Ten'.
    Thanks for your interest in our project, ciao :)
    Stefano
    Post edited by stemarino on
  • Options
    PJamminPJammin Posts: 571
    Just to confirm - the preorder is for an actual hardcopy version of the book, correct? At first glance it appears to reference the e-book .

• Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    stemarino said:
    Yes, I understand that the price of the hardcover version of the forthcoming collection of essays 'Pearl Jam and Philosophy', edited by Andrea Schembari and me as both academic scholars and long-time Pearl Jam fans, is very high, and - as already noted in one of the comments above - this depends on the fact that the book is coming from the academic publishing side of Bloomsbury, and this is not unusual for academic books that are often purchased at that initial price by university and other academic libraries. 
    I have recently finished working at another collection of essays, in that case on Immanuel Kant's philosophy rather than on the philosophical contents and implications in Pearl Jam songs, and also the price of the hardcover version of the Kant book, published by a German academic publisher, is very high. So, as I said, this is not unusual for academic books. https://www.degruyter.com/view/title/537494
    As editors of this book and also authors of two chapters included in it, we surely hope that the publisher may decide after some months to also have a paperback printing at a lower price, but please understand that this does not depend on us as authors or editors of the book, but it only depends on the publisher.
    As editor of this book and author of one of its chapters, I fully agree with what I have read in the comment above. It is really exciting, as an academic scholar of philosophy and at the same time a long-time Pearl Jam fan ever since my teens, to work at this book which allowed to all of us, the authors of the single essays collected in 'Pearl Jam and Philosophy', to write about some ideas and thoughts that had been rolling around in our heads for years or even decades.
    As we learn from the refrain of 'Even Flow', sometimes 'thoughts arrive like butterflies' and indeed the idea to plan, realize and publish a book like this came to my and Andrea's minds while we were in Firenze in June 2017, waiting for Eddie Vedder to go on stage and perform his - absolutely unforgettable - solo concert at the 'Firenze Rocks' festival. We were there, waiting for the concert to start, and we suddenly thought 'Well, we are academic scholars, we write articles and books on a variety of philosophical and literary topics for our work, when we were young our lives were saved by Pearl Jam - freely referring to Lou Reed's famous song 'Rock 'n' Roll', of course -, and there are some many philosophical aspects that can be found in so many Pearl Jam songs, so one day we should definitely write a book on Pearl Jam and philosophy'. We are so happy, sincerely happy, that our idea spontaneously emerged before Eddie Vedder's concert in Firenze 2017 finally became a book, that we are currently working at and that we will publish in 2021, for the 30th anniversary of 'Ten'.
    Stefano
    This is an interesting project, and I look forward to its release.  I was getting my BS in philosophy when Riot Act came out, which seemed apropos.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    You are right, I just looked at the publisher's website and it is not clear whether they refer to the hardcover printed version of the book or the e-book... I am sorry for this, which obviously does not depend on the book's authors but on the publisher's website.. I will try to check and let you know.
    Beside this, should it be of interest for anyone here, this summer I briefly talked about the project of the book 'Pearl Jam and Philosophy' and the idea itself of a philosophical interpretation of Pearl Jam songs during a TV program, now available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diayxtzF8wI
    Thanks again for your interest and best wishes.
    Stefano
  • Options
    stemarino said:
    As we learn from the refrain of 'Even Flow', sometimes 'thoughts arrive like butterflies' and indeed the idea to plan, realize and publish a book like this came to my and Andrea's minds while we were in Firenze in June 2017, waiting for Eddie Vedder to go on stage and perform his - absolutely unforgettable - solo concert at the 'Firenze Rocks' festival. We were there, waiting for the concert to start, and we suddenly thought 'Well, we are academic scholars, we write articles and books on a variety of philosophical and literary topics for our work, when we were young our lives were saved by Pearl Jam - freely referring to Lou Reed's famous song 'Rock 'n' Roll', of course -, and there are some many philosophical aspects that can be found in so many Pearl Jam songs, so one day we should definitely write a book on Pearl Jam and philosophy'. We are so happy, sincerely happy, that our idea spontaneously emerged before Eddie Vedder's concert in Firenze 2017 finally became a book, that we are currently working at and that we will publish in 2021, for the 30th anniversary of 'Ten'.
    Stefano
    This is an interesting project, and I look forward to its release.  I was getting my BS in philosophy when Riot Act came out, which seemed apropos.
    "Riot Act" is a very philosophical album, in my view!
    It is so rich, complex, stimulating and challenging: one of my favorite PJ records, definitely.
    Thanks for defining our project about PJ and philosophy "interesting", I was happy to read your comment: we are doing our best to publish a book that can be of some interest for both readers of philosophy and fans of PJ.
    Best, Stefano

• Options
    stemarino said:
    You are right, I just looked at the publisher's website and it is not clear whether they refer to the hardcover printed version of the book or the e-book... I am sorry for this, which obviously does not depend on the book's authors but on the publisher's website.. I will try to check and let you know.
    Beside this, should it be of interest for anyone here, this summer I briefly talked about the project of the book 'Pearl Jam and Philosophy' and the idea itself of a philosophical interpretation of Pearl Jam songs during a TV program, now available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diayxtzF8wI
    Thanks again for your interest and best wishes.
    Stefano
    Thanks Stefano. Yes, it would be great to have confirmation of it being a hardcover edition. Hope all is well wherever you happen to be today.
  • Options
    And it looks like your Youtube video has now been blocked....bummer.
  • Options
    PJammin said:
    And it looks like your Youtube video has now been blocked....bummer.
    It's not blocked. You just have to watch it on YouTube and not here
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    stemarinostemarino Posts: 10
    edited October 2020
    Sorry if the video was blocked here... I think that you can easily find it on YouTube, should you be interested in it. Thanks.
    Post edited by stemarino on
  • Options
    PJammin said:
    Just to confirm - the preorder is for an actual hardcopy version of the book, correct? At first glance it appears to reference the e-book .

Dear all, as promised, as co-editor of the forthcoming book 'Pearl Jam and Philosophy' I got in contact with the publisher and they told me that I can confirm that the price for the hardcover is $120, while the price for the ebook is $108. They also added that the price of the ebook will decrease once the paperback comes out, and they plan to release a paperback 18 months after hardcover publication. I hope this information may be useful for anyone in the community of Pearl Jam fans interested in our project of a collection of essays dealing with different philosophical aspects and implications that, in our view, as academic scholars and also long-time Pearl Jam fans, are present in the songs of this very special and indeed unique band. All the best, ciao. Stefano
  • Options
    Thanks for following up Stefano. I just checked the link above and when you add the item to the cart to preorder it continues to recognize it only as a purchase of an eBook for $120. Hopefully they will make that change on the site to recognize the purchase as being an actual hardcopy for $120 and not the eBook for $120. Thanks again for looking into this for us. 
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    igotid88 said:
    Stefano Marino
    In 2021, 30th anniversary of "Ten", we will celebrate the anniversary with the very first book of philosophical interpretations of the songs of Pearl Jam: "Pearl Jam and Philosophy", Bloomsbury Academic Publishing, forthcoming :)

That should be good!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options

CDN $170.50

The first scholarly discussion on the band, Pearl Jam and Philosophy examines both the songs (music and lyrics) and the activities (live performances, political commitments) of one of the most celebrated and charismatic rock bands of the last 30 years. The book investigates the philosophical aspects of their music at various levels: existential, spiritual, ethical, political, and aesthetic. This philosophical interpretation is also dependent on the application of textual and poetic analysis: the interdisciplinary volume puts philosophical aspects of the band's lyrics in close dialogue with 19th- and 20th-century European and American poetry. Through this widespread philosophical examination, the book further looks into the band's immense popularity and commercial success, their deeply loyal fanbase and genuine sense of community surrounding their music, and the pivotal place the band holds within popular music culture.

• Publisher : Bloomsbury Academic (Nov. 4 2021)
    • Language : English
    • Hardcover : 256 pages
    • ISBN-10 : 150136278X
    • ISBN-13 : 978-1501362781
    • Item Weight : 788 g
    • Dimensions : 15.24 x 22.86 cm

• Options
    edited March 2021
    List price: $108.00
    Online price: $86.40
    Save $21.60 (20%)

Table of contents

Preface
    Theodore Gracyk, Minnesota State University, USA

Introduction
    Stefano Marino, University of Bologna, Italy, and Andrea Schembari, Univesity of Szczecin, Poland

1. Contingency, (In)significance, and the All-Encompassing Trip: Pearl Jam and the Question of the Meaning of Life
    Stefano Marino, University of Bologna, Italy

2. “Just Like Innocence”: Pearl Jam and the (Re)Discovery of Hope
    Sam Morris, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA

3. Who's the Elderly Band Behind the Counter in a Small Town?
    Radu Uszkai, Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Romania, and Mihail-Valentin Cernea, Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Romania

4. Making a Choice When There Is No “Better Man”
    Laura M. Bernhardt, University of Southern Indiana, USA

5. That's Where We're Living: Determinism and Free Will in “Unthought Known”
    Enrico Terrone, University of Torino, Italy

6. No Code Aesthetics
    Alberto L. Siani, University of Pisa, Italy

7. Can Truth Be Found in the Wild?
    Paolo Stellino, Nova Institute of Philosophy, Portugal

8. “They Can Buy, But Can't Put On My Clothes”: Pearl Jam, Grunge, and Subcultural Authenticity in a Postmodern Fashion Climate
    Stephanie Kramer, Independent Scholar

9. Pearl Jam's Ghosts: The Ethical Claim Made From the Exiled Space(s) of Homelessness and War-An Aesthetic Response-Ability
    Jacqueline Moulton, Institute for Doctoral Studies in the Visual Arts, USA

10. Pearl Jam: Responsible Music or the Tragedy of Culture?
    Cristina Parapar, Sorbonne University (Paris IV), France

11. Pearl Jam / Nirvana: A Dialectical Vortex that Revolves around the Void
    Alessandro Alfieri, Accademia Delle Belle Arti Di Roma, Italy

12. The Tide on the Shell: Pearl Jam and the Aquatic Allegories of Existence
    Andrea Schembari, Univesity of Szczecin, Poland

Index

Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Very interesting 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I'm probably buying this one when it will be released.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pap said:
    I'm probably buying this one when it will be released.

Same here. But will keep an eye out when there is a good sale.
  • Options

• Options
    Early career researcher discount? :smile:
  • Options
    I hope the price drops. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I hope the price drops. 

Me too. It's right now $157.50 CDN over @ Amazon Canada.