Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Looks like the GOP won one in my district: "All students will now enter at the front door in the morning. All other doors will be locked. You can still drop your 7th or 8th grader off in the back and they will to walk up to the front door."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,114
    dankind said:
    Looks like the GOP won one in my district: "All students will now enter at the front door in the morning. All other doors will be locked. You can still drop your 7th or 8th grader off in the back and they will to walk up to the front door."
    Controlled entry is not a bad thing at all. It can be part of a larger solution. But … if we don’t do something about the other factors….then all we did is setup a really nice funneling point for a future active shooter. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited June 2022
    dankind said:
    Controlled entry is not a bad thing at all. It can be part of a larger solution. But … if we don’t do something about the other factors….then all we did is setup a really nice funneling point for a future active shooter. 
    Like the “cage” I mean locked playground they put kids inside with no way out? Rotating by grade all day long for recess. 

There are 50 kids in that cage most of the day 

these people don’t need to go inside.  Locking the doors doesn’t make me feel better 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    So - a friend shared a survey from their local high school with me.  One of the questions was "What is your sexual orientation"

Straight = 62%
    Gay/Lesbian = 10.9%
    Bi/Pan = 18.5%
    Asexual = 4.3%
    Other = 4.3%

Nationally Gallup found 7.1% put themselves into a category other than straight.

So why the disparity?  Is this more legit data?  Are kids not sure and trying different things out?  Is the GOP correct in that schools, etc (while allowing those that are truly other than straight to be themselves) are also encouraging experimentation and false moves away from the mean?

It is a very interesting statistic.  Wish I knew what the real data was...it's quite the difference...7.1% vs 38%....is the 7.1% just low cause people are scared to be and tell the world you they really are?

I would suspect data set is different.

a 50 year old may be gay and isn’t comfortable sharing that fact.  A teen may be more comfortable.  

Are there more gay people that are teens? Probably not.  There are probably more out teens 
    Seemed strange to me as this is in a very conservative state...but in one of the smaller liberal pockets (university area).  Those numbers were shocking to me that they were so high. I do wish there could be a true deep dive with all the reasons on it to understand it better.
    In college I was aware of a lot of experimentation going   on.  I know those same people today. Twenty years later they are married and have kids. 

sexuality on the whole is more fluid than we think.  Those people grow up, have kids, get married. They choose family and being committed to their spouse. They probably identify as straight. They aren’t gay, but they are not exactly straight either  

I have 4 nieces and 1 nephew, 4 of them being teenagers. Of the teenagers, the 3 oldest have each confided in their parents at some point or another that they thought they might be gay, but weren't sure... since making those declarations, 2 of those 3 now are pretty confident they aren't. 

My only point of making this comment is that I think in many cases, teenagers are simply figuring things out, and as opposed to when I was in high school in the early 90s, less afraid to consider the possibility they're gay, never mind suggesting it to their parents. 

I could be way off on this, but that poll quoted might just be teenagers being unsure, and leaving open the possibility. 
    In college what I saw was almost exclusively women   being fluid.  Do I think it’s because women are more likely to be bisexual? No.  It’s more socially acceptable and that’s what I then observed.  

looking at history the Romans are a perfect example. Bisexual men are all over the historical record. Were there more bisexual men in antiquity or was it more socially acceptable and then that’s what you saw? I don’t think there were more bisexual men then 

yes, figuring it out is one factor. Having a cultural environment that allows you to figure it out is another. 
    I don’t think colleges are making people gay, they might be creating an atmosphere where people are comfortable being who they are. That’s not a bad thing

plus people are also more sexual generally when they are 20 
    anecdotally, I'm finding this at both my girls' schools (high school and middle). There is ONE male that is a different pronoun/gay, and there are literally several classmates of them that are female and are gender fluid and/or gay. I think this might be due to the possibility that society still just accepts women who are gay/bi more than males are accepted. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,637
    So - a friend shared a survey from their local high school with me.  One of the questions was "What is your sexual orientation"

Straight = 62%
    Gay/Lesbian = 10.9%
    Bi/Pan = 18.5%
    Asexual = 4.3%
    Other = 4.3%

Nationally Gallup found 7.1% put themselves into a category other than straight.

So why the disparity?  Is this more legit data?  Are kids not sure and trying different things out?  Is the GOP correct in that schools, etc (while allowing those that are truly other than straight to be themselves) are also encouraging experimentation and false moves away from the mean?

It is a very interesting statistic.  Wish I knew what the real data was...it's quite the difference...7.1% vs 38%....is the 7.1% just low cause people are scared to be and tell the world you they really are?

a 50 year old may be gay and isn’t comfortable sharing that fact.  A teen may be more comfortable.  

Are there more gay people that are teens? Probably not.  There are probably more out teens 
    Seemed strange to me as this is in a very conservative state...but in one of the smaller liberal pockets (university area).  Those numbers were shocking to me that they were so high. I do wish there could be a true deep dive with all the reasons on it to understand it better.
    In college I was aware of a lot of experimentation going   on.  I know those same people today. Twenty years later they are married and have kids. 

sexuality on the whole is more fluid than we think.  Those people grow up, have kids, get married. They choose family and being committed to their spouse. They probably identify as straight. They aren’t gay, but they are not exactly straight either  

I have 4 nieces and 1 nephew, 4 of them being teenagers. Of the teenagers, the 3 oldest have each confided in their parents at some point or another that they thought they might be gay, but weren't sure... since making those declarations, 2 of those 3 now are pretty confident they aren't. 

My only point of making this comment is that I think in many cases, teenagers are simply figuring things out, and as opposed to when I was in high school in the early 90s, less afraid to consider the possibility they're gay, never mind suggesting it to their parents. 

I could be way off on this, but that poll quoted might just be teenagers being unsure, and leaving open the possibility. 
    I think this is exactly right.  My wife has a theory that a lot of these kids are not just confused, but rather they feel different than other kids in general.  And now there is a name for it (or they think there is).  In other words, 30 years ago, they wouldn't call themselves non-binary.  They were just 'losers', 'dorks', etc.  But now there is something for them to latch onto for a time.  It's just growing pains.

My 13 year old has a friend that's a boy that declared himself non binary and calls himself "Sage" now.  Well Sage has a significant other who is a girl, but also non-binary.  Maybe I'm wrong, but they both seem straight to me.  I think they are just young. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,978
    Just wait until shooters start attacking school buses.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    At some point the GOP needs to stand up to their own crazies. Not voting for the crazies in your party isn’t enough.

the fact that a trump endorsed candidate in Georgia lost by 50 points is creating  “concerns”.  the simple fact he lost is the evidence the vote was rigged the margin doesn’t even factor into it. Trumps endorsement is so powerful, an endorsed candidate  can’t lose in a fair election or so the justification goes. 

The fact we aren’t even talking about democrats here shows there is no limit to their attempts to undermine democracy. They don’t want a democracy, full stop.
    republicans need to call this out aggressively. 

What they want is a governor with 20 percent support from republicans and zero percent support from democrats.  Totally rational 

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,502
    At some point the GOP needs to stand up to their own crazies. Not voting for the crazies in your party isn’t enough.

the fact that a trump endorsed candidate in Georgia lost by 50 points is creating  “concerns”.  the simple fact he lost is the evidence the vote was rigged the margin doesn’t even factor into it. Trumps endorsement is so powerful, an endorsed candidate  can’t lose in a fair election or so the justification goes. 

The fact we aren’t even talking about democrats here shows there is no limit to their attempts to undermine democracy. They don’t want a democracy, full stop.
    republicans need to call this out aggressively. 

What they want is a governor with 20 percent support from republicans and zero percent support from democrats.  Totally rational 

This is it, they are actively trying to bring an end to our democracy. 

November's going to be a shit show. 
  • Options
    So - ignoring the obvious crazies in the party (and the fact that those not crazy are pandering to voters who seem to be).... do you agree to any point GOP might have?  

1) Abortion - just to kick this off.  Highly contested topic.  I personally don't think someone is evil who thinks it's murder and I don't think someone is evil if they want women to decide.  
    2) Mass shootings/gun control - Where I agree with GOP - I do believe schools and some other places need to have robust security plans.  I believe in school resource officers (for many reasons).  I do think we need to look at the underlying causes and signs that lead to this whether it's mental health, bullying, etc.  I am not aligned on not instituting limitation to gun ownership.
    3) Immigration - I agree the border needs secured.  I am not for the wall or the full extent of the GOP is after...but I think it has been a problem for a long time and the Dems have no interest in solving.
    4) Minimum/living wage debate - I believe the market can set the price for the most part.  And it has with the labor market....which also has helped lead to crazy inflation.
    5) School books - on the issue regarding text books, like math, with what GOP deems inappropriate material....I've looked at some of it and I believe they have a point in some of the instances I saw.  
    6) Economy - unsure if anyone has this right but I'm not smart enough to know.  Even the Clinton (with GOP congress) economy ended up crashing due to tech bubble bursting.

I'm sure there are more...just a start.

Are there any issues where you don't just simply align with the Democratic party?

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I don’t align gop on anything really. If I do it’s a RINO position

im not in a religious cult, gun cult, or in a cult of personality  though.  

• Options
    edited June 2022

Fair enough.  I find it a bit weird though to align with 1 party solely.  Though I do wish I had perhaps asked this question sometime before 2014ish. ;)
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Fair enough.  I find it a bit weird though to aline with 1 party solely.  Though I do wish I had perhaps asked this question sometime before 2014ish. ;)
    I tend to be free trade, pro business etc.  those aren’t Republican positions anymore.  Tariffs etc. that use to be a democrat thing so I don’t necessarily think I’m more of a democrat now it’s more that the GOP positions I was open to aren’t GOP positions today 

I’m more libertarian on drugs, abortion etc. none of it is the governments business. I tend to naturally align more with the “big government” party today weirdly enough on that stuff

• Options
    edited June 2022

Fair enough.  I find it a bit weird though to aline with 1 party solely.  Though I do wish I had perhaps asked this question sometime before 2014ish. ;)
    I'm a registered independent, and like so many in the country usually find myself voting for the candidate I hate the least, which usually (but not always) leads to voting democrat. (edit:: I don't base my assessment of candidates on whether or not I like or hate them, I factor in their platform, etc - I used the phrasing I did as I simply don't like many politicians, if any at all)

I have voted republican in the past, and until 2016 would vote 3rd party for president as a rule (I live in a pretty blue state, it always picks the democrat)

I had no love for Hillary, but I thought at the time, and still think she would have been better for the country than TFG. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options

I tend to be free trade, pro business etc.  those aren’t Republican positions anymore.  Tariffs etc. that use to be a democrat thing so I don’t necessarily think I’m more of a democrat now it’s more that the GOP positions I was open to aren’t GOP positions today 

I’m more libertarian on drugs, abortion etc. none of it is the governments business. I tend to naturally align more with the “big government” party today weirdly enough on that stuff

Makes sense.  thanks.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    So - ignoring the obvious crazies in the party (and the fact that those not crazy are pandering to voters who seem to be).... do you agree to any point GOP might have?  

1) Abortion - just to kick this off.  Highly contested topic.  I personally don't think someone is evil who thinks it's murder and I don't think someone is evil if they want women to decide.  
    2) Mass shootings/gun control - Where I agree with GOP - I do believe schools and some other places need to have robust security plans.  I believe in school resource officers (for many reasons).  I do think we need to look at the underlying causes and signs that lead to this whether it's mental health, bullying, etc.  I am not aligned on not instituting limitation to gun ownership.
    3) Immigration - I agree the border needs secured.  I am not for the wall or the full extent of the GOP is after...but I think it has been a problem for a long time and the Dems have no interest in solving.
    4) Minimum/living wage debate - I believe the market can set the price for the most part.  And it has with the labor market....which also has helped lead to crazy inflation.
    5) School books - on the issue regarding text books, like math, with what GOP deems inappropriate material....I've looked at some of it and I believe they have a point in some of the instances I saw.  
    6) Economy - unsure if anyone has this right but I'm not smart enough to know.  Even the Clinton (with GOP congress) economy ended up crashing due to tech bubble bursting.

Are there any issues where you don't just simply align with the Democratic party?

2) When you say you don't believe in limitations on gun ownership, are you saying that any weapon (machine gun, semi, full, etc.) should be available?  And it should be available at age 18?  And you shouldn't have a background check?  These are all limitations on gun ownership.  If that's your position, it's even further right than Justice Scalia in the DC v Heller.  He even said that Constitution allows limitations in his opinion.  

3) If you want to solve the immigration issue, crack down on employers that employ people without I-9s and work under the table.  No jobs, no immigration.  It won't be solved tomorrow, but it will be solved.  Of course we have 11MM unfilled jobs in this country so there's also the fact that we need people.  

There are few positions where I'm 100% aligned with either party.  The world is grey and we need moderate policies.  
  • Options
    2) double negative confusion I think mrussel. He said "I am NOT aligned with NOT instituting limitation to gun ownership". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

The Republicans aren't Republican anymore.  They are the party of cruelty and idiocy.  

Kandiss Taylor ran for GA governor and won a whopping 3.4% of the vote.  She is claiming it was rigged and she really won.  That's what we have here.  https://uk.news.yahoo.com/trump-loyalist-lost-georgia-governor-091715708.html
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    mrussel1 said:

2) When you say you don't believe in limitations on gun ownership, are you saying that any weapon (machine gun, semi, full, etc.) should be available?  And it should be available at age 18?  And you shouldn't have a background check?  These are all limitations on gun ownership.  If that's your position, it's even further right than Justice Scalia in the DC v Heller.  He even said that Constitution allows limitations in his opinion.  

3) If you want to solve the immigration issue, crack down on employers that employ people without I-9s and work under the table.  No jobs, no immigration.  It won't be solved tomorrow, but it will be solved.  Of course we have 11MM unfilled jobs in this country so there's also the fact that we need people.  

There are few positions where I'm 100% aligned with either party.  The world is grey and we need moderate policies.  
    With guns:
    you already cannot buy RPG’s so the idea there isn’t a limit isn’t even true. It’s up to us to determine that limit. Shoulder fired missiles are “arms”

with immigration 
    its set up to make it impossible to do it “the right way” so blaming illegal immigrants for coming here the only way possible is missing the issue entirely. You are right with no one hiring them they wouldn’t come. However employers can take as advantage of  illegals and pay them literally nothing so they do it and we allow it to happen. Employers prefer that they be illegal, as if they weren’t their leverage over them goes away.

Speaking from non US experience. I lived in the UK for 9 years legally, all my kids were born there. Getting citizenship was next to impossible and we had lawyers who we paid a lot. There is no pathway to citizenship. It’s the same in the US if you are from Mexico.  The only difference is in the US children born here are citizens automatically 
  • Options

#1) I'm pro choice. Personally I'm anti-abortion, but don't think I have the right to tell a woman what to do. I'm firmly against late term (barring the obvious exception like mother's health). I do agree there should be a limit, but 6 weeks ain't it. 

#2) I think the 'well regulated' portion of 2A needs more attention (for the originalists, at least... personally I think going by something written 250 years ago word for word is f'ing asinine). Anyone can't have any gun at any time, there needs to be limitations

#3) we need immigration reform, but with that being said, immigrant labor is a pretty important aspect to our economy. I also think the 'border crisis' as it's been portrayed in the RW media isn't half as dire as the GOP wants you to believe.

I tend to lean left more than I do right, but as mrussell said, there's a lot of grey in the world and we need more moderate politicians / policies. 

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,827
    edited June 2022

That's not even the point anymore. I understand conservatism but this isn't about left/right...or at least it should not be.  The party's literally aiming for dictatorship and I no longer feel I have the luxury to vet Dems or consider voting third, much less appreciate any "reasonableness" on any GOP issues.

I've never been a one-issue voter...but now I'm a "no-issue" voter. I don't support (an extreme view nobody really has) banning guns but if a Dem says they want to ban them, they still have my vote. Ten years ago? Who knows? But I'm blue no matter who and the GQP is to blame for that. 

"Issues" is kinda BS, anyway. I once voted against (i.e., voted 3rd) a Gov candidate who was pretty aligned with me on issues but I really questioned his leadership ability. I actually think I was wrong, but at the time, "issues" were not the only thing.

Right now, I want to know whether they want to lead or they want to rule. The GOP wants to rule and even any candidates that are better than that eventually get pulled in (see all the GQPers that thought Trump was their death in 2016 and now are hopelessly devoted to him).

I don't know whether the party is 10% crazies or 90% crazies. And I don't care...the party's final product is "crazy." Our republic is hanging in the balance. I don't care about school books.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

That's not even the point anymore. I understand conservatism but this isn't about left/right...or at least it should not be.  The party's literally aiming for dictatorship and I no longer feel I have the luxury to vet Dems or consider voting third, much less appreciate any "reasonableness" on any GOP issues.

I've never been a one-issue voter...but now I'm a "no-issue" voter. I don't support (an extreme view nobody really has) banning guns. 

"Issues" is kinda BS, any. I once voted against (i.e., voted 3rd) who was pretty aligned with me on issues but I really questioned his leadership ability. I actually think I was wrong, but at the time, "issues" were not the only thing.

Right now, I want to know whether they want to lead or they want to rule. The GOP wants to rule and even any candidates that are better than that eventually get pulled in (see all the GQPers that thought Trump was their death in 2016 and now are hopelessly devoted to him).

I don't know whether the party is 10% crazies or 90% crazies. And I don't care...the party's final product is "crazy." Our republic is hanging in the balance. I don't care about school books.
    Well said. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,038
    You all want immigration reform?  It might come in the way of a cashless society.  Can't pay someone if they don't have an electronic account of some sort and that comes w a SS#.

Went to 2 baseball games at different parks and they both are "cashless".
  • Options
    2) double negative confusion I think mrussel. He said "I am NOT aligned with NOT instituting limitation to gun ownership". 
    Hahaha I just read his question and was going to respond with this same thing....yup, used a bad double negative.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    You all want immigration reform?  It might come in the way of a cashless society.  Can't pay someone if they don't have an electronic account of some sort and that comes w a SS#.

with new technology comes with new ways to defraud. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,038

W cash it's a hell of a lot easier.
  • Options
    Hahaha I just read his question and was going to respond with this same thing....yup, used a bad double negative.  
    Ah yes, I misread. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Illegal immigrants pay something like 13 billion dollars a year into social security using recycled numbers. Benefits they will never get back out. 

It’s harder to open a bank account true.  However getting a working SS number isn’t hard and it’s advantageous for the system to work out that way for everyone but them 
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Maybe. I don’t understand peoples obsession with cash though.

im electronic only. I don’t even have a debit card. If someone robs my CC, I lose it, my house burns down with it inside, I don’t care. It’s not my money and I’m not liable. I can insure stuff, not cash. People who carry a credit limits worth of cash around and that money is gone and it’s yours 

I totally get why the under banked population deals in cash. Why others do it I never understand 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,122
    mrussel1 said:

Straight = 62%
    Gay/Lesbian = 10.9%
    Bi/Pan = 18.5%
    Asexual = 4.3%
    Other = 4.3%

I think this is exactly right.  My wife has a theory that a lot of these kids are not just confused, but rather they feel different than other kids in general.  And now there is a name for it (or they think there is).  In other words, 30 years ago, they wouldn't call themselves non-binary.  They were just 'losers', 'dorks', etc.  But now there is something for them to latch onto for a time.  It's just growing pains.

My 13 year old has a friend that's a boy that declared himself non binary and calls himself "Sage" now.  Well Sage has a significant other who is a girl, but also non-binary.  Maybe I'm wrong, but they both seem straight to me.  I think they are just young. 

Also, the world can be a confusing and intimidating place, even without teens questioning rgender. Mix in being raised within a pro gun culture, and it can become deadly.