GOP

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

What about the ones that work for cash that don't pay taxes?  
    They pay sales taxes... and the fault for them getting paid under the table is on their employers, who enable the law breaking and break the law themselves.  They are also not paying taxes required. Seems to me the undocumented immigrants are no worse, or even 'less worse'.  At least we can understand why they want to work and are working. 
    Yes and the property they rent has taxes but it's not the same.  Local city and state taxes miss out on this.

This happens in pretty much every restaurant and landscaping business here in NY.  I remember reading an article where the workers mailed most of their money back home and none of it was ever spent here.
    That doesn't pass the sniff test.  An undocumented worker will likely be working for less than minimum wage, or dirt cheap.  For them to be able to live here but still send "most" of their money back to Mexico/Central America doesn't seem possible.  

But again, it's about who is paying them.  They would not be drawn here if they could not work under the table. 
    They make $150 a day standing outside of Homedepot when they do work.  The others that have the kitchen jobs and landscaping jobs get paid well too.  They aren't making under minimum wage.
    Interesting that you know the going rate.  But it's irrelevant if they send the money back or not.  I'm just not buying "most".  Either way, the only reason it's happening is because criminal business owners are willing to pay under the table to undocumented workers, and then not paying their fair share of taxes.
    Why is it interesting?  Information is key.

You mention business'.  Wasn't a law signed by Bush Dubya that penalized a company if they got caught hiring undocumented workers?  Did that go away?  

actually signed? not sure about that.

I do know requirement for e-verify was pushed back on hard and eventually dropped to voluntary.
    E-verify!  That was it!  We were required to do that on every federal project we did.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

They pay sales taxes... and the fault for them getting paid under the table is on their employers, who enable the law breaking and break the law themselves.  They are also not paying taxes required. Seems to me the undocumented immigrants are no worse, or even 'less worse'.  At least we can understand why they want to work and are working. 
    Yes and the property they rent has taxes but it's not the same.  Local city and state taxes miss out on this.

This happens in pretty much every restaurant and landscaping business here in NY.  I remember reading an article where the workers mailed most of their money back home and none of it was ever spent here.
    That doesn't pass the sniff test.  An undocumented worker will likely be working for less than minimum wage, or dirt cheap.  For them to be able to live here but still send "most" of their money back to Mexico/Central America doesn't seem possible.  

But again, it's about who is paying them.  They would not be drawn here if they could not work under the table. 
    They make $150 a day standing outside of Homedepot when they do work.  The others that have the kitchen jobs and landscaping jobs get paid well too.  They aren't making under minimum wage.
    Interesting that you know the going rate.  But it's irrelevant if they send the money back or not.  I'm just not buying "most".  Either way, the only reason it's happening is because criminal business owners are willing to pay under the table to undocumented workers, and then not paying their fair share of taxes.

You mention business'.  Wasn't a law signed by Bush Dubya that penalized a company if they got caught hiring undocumented workers?  Did that go away?  
    I doubt it went away, but I"m curious why ICE is raiding homes rather than the businesses that are drawing them here.  

Is $150 the nationwide rate, or just the rate where you live?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    No it sure if it’s still the case, but raids on house trailers full of illegals(like a dozen in a trailer fit for 1 or 2) seemed like a regular occurrence  when I was working on hog farms and several years after. We’d get coworkers recruited to fill in for emergency duty when another location was basically staffed by one of those “families” that skipped down or were arrested.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I doubt it went away, but I"m curious why ICE is raiding homes rather than the businesses that are drawing them here.  

I don't know about other states, here in NY that is the going rate.

Does ICE still raid homes?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't know about other states, here in NY that is the going rate.

Does ICE still raid homes?
    They did during the Trump admin.  I don't know if they have in the last two months.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

We got raided by ICE in 2017. Had to pay penalties on a couple of employees who our payroll department failed to obtain copies of identification on or lost them in the shuffle. For the employees listed by ICE who were not legal we were not penalized as long as we had copies of the identification they provided us and let them go. The ease of entering the country and obtaining false documents in an effort to make 10x the money is the biggest draw, not the businesses who you think are enabling the issue. We sent the government money for unknowingly hiring people who entered illegally and obtained illegal documents, who’s responsibility is it to keep this from happening? Obviously we could have avoided any penalty had those copies been obtained, but that is bound to happen when you have over 300 new hires a year.
    edited March 2021
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

We got raided by ICE in 2017. Had to pay penalties on a couple of employees who our payroll department failed to obtain copies of identification on or lost them in the shuffle. For the employees listed by ICE who were not legal we were not penalized as long as we had copies of the identification they provided us and let them go. The ease of entering the country and obtaining false documents in an effort to make 10x the money is the biggest draw, not the businesses who you think are enabling the issue. We sent the government money for unknowingly hiring people who entered illegally and obtained illegal documents, who’s responsibility is it to keep this from happening? Obviously we could have avoided any penalty had those copies been obtained, but that is bound to happen when you have over 300 new hires a year.
    If you are hiring people with fake IDs, your HR is either clueless or intentionally looking the other way.  We do I9, background check,  social verification and fingerprinting. 
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If you are hiring people with fake IDs, your HR is either clueless or intentionally looking the other way.  We do I9, background check,  social verification and fingerprinting. 
    Yeah that is it. Not sure if you have ever seen a legit fake ID or SS card, there is no noticeable difference whatsoever. Add to that Permanent Resident cards which are a List A on the I9 and constitute as the only form of identification required. I am willing to bet you have never seen one with the sleuth operation you are running. Certain contracts require background checks and fingerprinting, when they come in we are required to submit them.
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah that is it. Not sure if you have ever seen a legit fake ID or SS card, there is no noticeable difference whatsoever. Add to that Permanent Resident cards which are a List A on the I9 and constitute as the only form of identification required. I am willing to bet you have never seen one with the sleuth operation you are running. Certain contracts require background checks and fingerprinting, when they come in we are required to submit them.
    Are you saying you are reviewing cards,  not using a third party to do your national checks?
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Are you saying you are reviewing cards,  not using a third party to do your national checks?
    In house unless the contract requires otherwise. We currently have 24 projects going on between Texas and Oklahoma in 16 cities. Turnover in the construction industry is insane so the combination of methods you use to fill positions are not justifiable for us. There are undoubtedly businesses who knowingly cheat the system, but I do not think they are as prevalent as you seem to.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Back in the late '90's/early 2000's I worked in the bar/restaurant business in NYC. Illegal immigrants did, and still do, comprise a huge part of the work force. That's why those ICE raids were always just for show. They could have walked into every restaurant in the city and deported half the staff but that would have brought the industry to its knees, so no chance they were about to do that. 
    Having said that, most of the illegals I knew worked like dogs- 6 days a week, 12 hour shifts in the kitchen. 
    Also, in the bar business there were lots (not millions, though) of Irish who were illegal. 
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think you would be very surprised on how easy it is to obtain fake documents.  Did you read my story about the 42 people w false documents working on a federal penitentiary?
    In Cali early 90's I knew people with fake documents and was surprised they could enter back in the country with them but they did.

Lastly most construction jobs that aren't public works don't do much vetting.  I have a SWAC card that did some serious deep vetting but not everyone is doing that.

Someone mentioned the Irish.  Besides them and the Vietnamese I have never seen tighter groups that look out for each other.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think you would be very surprised on how easy it is to obtain fake documents.  Did you read my story about the 42 people w false documents working on a federal penitentiary?
    In Cali early 90's I knew people with fake documents and was surprised they could enter back in the country with them but they did.

Lastly most construction jobs that aren't public works don't do much vetting.  I have a SWAC card that did some serious deep vetting but not everyone is doing that.

Someone mentioned the Irish.  Besides them and the Vietnamese I have never seen tighter groups that look out for each other.
    the chinese

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

the chinese

They are tight but not like the two I mentioned.  The Chinese seem to flourish with indentured servitude whereas the Irish and Vietnamese really do have each others back.

Here in NY you have vans that go and pick people up from work and drop them off somewhere.  60 minutes or Vice did a special on this.  Now I look for the vans.
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't doubt that it's easy to get fake documents, but those fake documents are worthless if a business spends the less than $50 to do a national background and social security check.  The illegal would have had to done full out identify theft in order to pass a check, and that's just not very likely.  
    If a business were really concerned about hiring illegals, they could avoid doing so by conducting proper background checks and not picking up people at the Home Depot. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't doubt that it's easy to get fake documents, but those fake documents are worthless if a business spends the less than $50 to do a national background and social security check.  The illegal would have had to done full out identify theft in order to pass a check, and that's just not very likely.  
    If a business were really concerned about hiring illegals, they could avoid doing so by conducting proper background checks and not picking up people at the Home Depot. 
    Again, did you read my story about the 42 people whom were using identities of dead people?  They worked for quite a while until they did the E-verify then they weren't working anymore.

You have a great point in doing thorough background checks.  For everyday manual labor this isn't going on unless you are on federal projects or MTA/PA jobs here in NY.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Again, did you read my story about the 42 people whom were using identities of dead people?  They worked for quite a while until they did the E-verify then they weren't working anymore.

You have a great point in doing thorough background checks.  For everyday manual labor this isn't going on unless you are on federal projects or MTA/PA jobs here in NY.
    Didn't you say that the 42 people had their socials come back as deceased?  That tells me that the background check process worked.  The mistake was hiring people before the verification was completed. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If our government were really concerned about illegals they could do more than use small businesses to police for them and fund their failed programs. I am not concerned with unknowingly hiring illegals, I am concerned that if it happens I have done so by the law. There was a time when E-Verify seemed like it may be the future of hiring as a contractor, but after seeing the implications of trying to find Americans who will fill the jobs that immigrants do it quickly stopped becoming a requirement. You have our government who does a terrible job of keeping illegals out and the illegals who are knowingly breaking the law, but lets pass the buck onto small businesses. Makes perfect sense...
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If our government were really concerned about illegals they could do more than use small businesses to police for them and fund their failed programs. I am not concerned with unknowingly hiring illegals, I am concerned that if it happens I have done so by the law. There was a time when E-Verify seemed like it may be the future of hiring as a contractor, but after seeing the implications of trying to find Americans who will fill the jobs that immigrants do it quickly stopped becoming a requirement. You have our government who does a terrible job of keeping illegals out and the illegals who are knowingly breaking the law, but lets pass the buck onto small businesses. Makes perfect sense...

businesses weren't going to be told E-Verify was mandatory.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

As a contractor we have had multiple projects that E-Verify was mandatory on, written into the contract. Government projects obviously try to save face by making sure no illegals are hired and many independent school districts were starting to require it as well. I have only had 1 contract in the last 3 years requiring E-Verify, but prior to that it was looking like it would become the norm.

FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

As a contractor we have had multiple projects that E-Verify was mandatory on, written into the contract. Government projects obviously try to save face by making sure no illegals are hired and many independent school districts were starting to require it as well. I have only had 1 contract in the last 3 years requiring E-Verify, but prior to that it was looking like it would become the norm.

government dictates government contracts. joe blow shop owner says no. gop said no. volunteer only. so really they arent serious about addressing jack fucking shit. just keep the fear train rolling.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Can we go ahead and use a term like undocumented people or something, non citizens maybe, idk but last I checked, illegals isn’t a type of person. In fact I don’t think it’s illegal to be a person.  I know some of you sure were happy about changing the name of the Washington franchise to Football Team. Let’s try not to use the language of the right.  Unless of course you think it’s ok to refer to a whole group of people as Illegals. Maybe we can change the name to the Washington Illegals. I mean since it seems to be ok to use everywhere else.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Can we go ahead and use a term like undocumented people or something, non citizens maybe, idk but last I checked, illegals isn’t a type of person. In fact I don’t think it’s illegal to be a person.  I know some of you sure were happy about changing the name of the Washington franchise to Football Team. Let’s try not to use the language of the right.  Unless of course you think it’s ok to refer to a whole group of people as Illegals. Maybe we can change the name to the Washington Illegals. I mean since it seems to be ok to use everywhere else.
    Pick the term and I will comply, that’s what it comes down to owning a business. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

government dictates government contracts. joe blow shop owner says no. gop said no. volunteer only. so really they arent serious about addressing jack fucking shit. just keep the fear train rolling.

Pretty much. 
    static111 said:
    An illegal is an illegal immigrant.  Not a group unless it just so happens to be a group of them.  Undocumented, illegal, extended stay.  Same difference.

As for the govt not really caring about someone's hiring practices?  I would say that is true now unless it's public work or state/federal.
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's interesting that you don't think as a business owner, you have a responsibility to ensure that a person you are hiring is qualified to work in this country.  If business owners spent the less than $50 to properly verify a person, then the undocumented workers would cease coming into the country eventually. They come here to work.  If there's no work, they don't come.  My company does its due diligence, so can yours.  I don't complain that it's the gov't fault that they are here.  It's not.  It's the business owners who try to pay cheap wages along with the taxes. 
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's interesting that you don't think as a business owner, you have a responsibility to ensure that a person you are hiring is qualified to work in this country.  If business owners spent the less than $50 to properly verify a person, then the undocumented workers would cease coming into the country eventually. They come here to work.  If there's no work, they don't come.  My company does its due diligence, so can yours.  I don't complain that it's the gov't fault that they are here.  It's not.  It's the business owners who try to pay cheap wages along with the taxes. 
    I do, that is why we require an I9 and the appropriate accompanying documents. Comparing the commercial construction industry to whatever industry you are in is probably the main disconnect. I imagine you are hiring a completely different demographic than me and if we only had to employ people who were not going to quit in a month your vetting process might make more sense. I don't think you understand the difficulties in managing a workforce that is constantly changing not only personnel but locations. We start laborers out at a minimum of $14/hour and will hire anyone at that rate as long as they provide what is required by law, I would say 1 out of 5 last more than a month. I am just baffled at your unwillingness to place any fault on our government, maybe it has to do with the business you are in?
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I do, that is why we require an I9 and the appropriate accompanying documents. Comparing the commercial construction industry to whatever industry you are in is probably the main disconnect. I imagine you are hiring a completely different demographic than me and if we only had to employ people who were not going to quit in a month your vetting process might make more sense. I don't think you understand the difficulties in managing a workforce that is constantly changing not only personnel but locations. We start laborers out at a minimum of $14/hour and will hire anyone at that rate as long as they provide what is required by law, I would say 1 out of 5 last more than a month. I am just baffled at your unwillingness to place any fault on our government, maybe it has to do with the business you are in?
    I'm in financial services.  One of the parts of the business we oversee is a network of call centers and collection agencies.  We require full background checks, fingerprinting, drug screening, OFAC check and social verification.  For this business, some of the attrition rates are 40-50% annualized.  Is construction up higher than that?

It's not that I don't blame the gov't, but there's a practicality matter at work here.  The gov't cannot be everywhere.  I see this as a supply and demand issue.  The businesses that are willing to hire or look the other way because they receive a clear financial benefit (employer taxes) are generating the demand that draws the supply over the border.  It's an economics problem to me. 
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm in financial services.  One of the parts of the business we oversee is a network of call centers and collection agencies.  We require full background checks, fingerprinting, drug screening, OFAC check and social verification.  For this business, some of the attrition rates are 40-50% annualized.  Is construction up higher than that?

It's not that I don't blame the gov't, but there's a practicality matter at work here.  The gov't cannot be everywhere.  I see this as a supply and demand issue.  The businesses that are willing to hire or look the other way because they receive a clear financial benefit (employer taxes) are generating the demand that draws the supply over the border.  It's an economics problem to me. 
    I can only speak for my company which has hired over 4,000 employees since 2002. I can also say that we are not looking the other way for financial benefit, our starting laborer wage has grown from $10/hour to $14 and masons $20/hour to $25. Undocumented workers will always have a presence until the government and businesses who are actually looking to cheat the system crack down, but I stand by the fact that getting into this country is on the government. Once here they both seem to do a good job at enabling.
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:

What FiveBelow is getting at is it appears that the vetting you do costs a wee bit more than what it is worth to keep a worker around whom might be there for a month.

We would go through a labor company so we didn't have to put up with all that because it is annoying to put forth all that effort and they quit after a day.

Russel what on earth are you fingerprinting for?  I know of 3 jobs that is required for, a police officer, teacher and security guard.  How financials needs to do that is interesting.