Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,132
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    It wasn't too long ago that everyone on here thought he was the devil but now you guys like him?
    No, I don’t like him.
    I do.  Always have.  Doesn't mean I agree with everything he does, there is no one like that.  

I often wonder where we would be today if he had been able to beat Obama...would he have had 8 years....and then would Obama have ever been president...would the republicans not have abandoned their principles...

Nominating McCain and Romney and losing both times gave the crazies of the part a larger voice to try something different.  It did not end well.
    Sometimes I wish McCain had won. 2008 was a nice time. I even knew McCain voters and 3rd party votes able to appreciate and enjoy Obama's election. But it probably hastened (if not created) the place the GQP is in now.

Of course, I've heard it argued that McCain choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate was a key step in the crazification of the party. And I get this. I don't specifically blame McCain or think that this was a turning point. But it was probably a sign, i.e., there were already Republicans that just could not deal with the kind of candidate that worked across the aisle and was complimentary at times of his Democratic opponent. And, yeah, back then, Palin seemed off the wall. Now? She's not even on the top-25 deranged list. 

I generally appreciated McCain and I toyed with voting 3rd* before he announced his running mate. And I think choosing her was probably an misstep. But he chose her to appease a group of people that was just about to explode in terms of numbers and influence. And now, choosing someone like her would be met with unimpressed shrugs and accusations of choosing a RINO to appease the establishment.

*I am sure I would have voted for Obama either way; I only ever followed through on 3rd once and it was not for president. But she ended my entertainment of that abruptly. 
    That's kind of where I was at. I was perfectly fine with McCain. But as soon as he selected Palin it was game over.

In hind sight he didn't have much of a choice at the time. He trailed Obama by a large margin and needed a spark.

If you haven't seen "Game Change" with Woody Harrelson you should watch it. It's a great look into all of those decisions and how much of a mistake the McCain campaign knew they had made.
    Tina Fey crushed Palin's hopes and dreams.. crushed them like a grape.  It was a huge cultural and political moment.  
    Julianne Moore played her in the movie...did a great job
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    It wasn't too long ago that everyone on here thought he was the devil but now you guys like him?
    No, I don’t like him.
    I do.  Always have.  Doesn't mean I agree with everything he does, there is no one like that.  

I often wonder where we would be today if he had been able to beat Obama...would he have had 8 years....and then would Obama have ever been president...would the republicans not have abandoned their principles...

Nominating McCain and Romney and losing both times gave the crazies of the part a larger voice to try something different.  It did not end well.
    Sometimes I wish McCain had won. 2008 was a nice time. I even knew McCain voters and 3rd party votes able to appreciate and enjoy Obama's election. But it probably hastened (if not created) the place the GQP is in now.

Of course, I've heard it argued that McCain choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate was a key step in the crazification of the party. And I get this. I don't specifically blame McCain or think that this was a turning point. But it was probably a sign, i.e., there were already Republicans that just could not deal with the kind of candidate that worked across the aisle and was complimentary at times of his Democratic opponent. And, yeah, back then, Palin seemed off the wall. Now? She's not even on the top-25 deranged list. 

I generally appreciated McCain and I toyed with voting 3rd* before he announced his running mate. And I think choosing her was probably an misstep. But he chose her to appease a group of people that was just about to explode in terms of numbers and influence. And now, choosing someone like her would be met with unimpressed shrugs and accusations of choosing a RINO to appease the establishment.

*I am sure I would have voted for Obama either way; I only ever followed through on 3rd once and it was not for president. But she ended my entertainment of that abruptly. 
    That's kind of where I was at. I was perfectly fine with McCain. But as soon as he selected Palin it was game over.

In hind sight he didn't have much of a choice at the time. He trailed Obama by a large margin and needed a spark.

If you haven't seen "Game Change" with Woody Harrelson you should watch it. It's a great look into all of those decisions and how much of a mistake the McCain campaign knew they had made.
    Tina Fey crushed Palin's hopes and dreams.. crushed them like a grape.  It was a huge cultural and political moment.  

But Palin galvanized the extremists, those willing to believe outrageous lies to further political power. It can be argued she had bigger influence than anyone else in that era,  including Obama, leading directly to trump and his Kenya lies, that started his powerful political movement. We’ll be dealing with the result of this movement for decades, as a direct result of how trump changed politicking with scotus in mind. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,373
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

But Palin galvanized the extremists, those willing to believe outrageous lies to further political power. It can be argued she had bigger influence than anyone else in that era,  including Obama, leading directly to trump and his Kenya lies, that started his powerful political movement. We’ll be dealing with the result of this movement for decades, as a direct result of how trump changed politicking with scotus in mind. 
    Everyone called her an idiot but now she was the mastermind of something?

I don't recall her doing anything  to stir up conspiracy theories?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

I disagree.  She was an idiot,  but not the great manipulator that Trump is

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,347
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

death panels......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

She was literally so stupid that she ushered in the practice of only putting her on friendly media so that she wouldn't be challenged. This led to an entire universe of bullshit that we are still dealing with. Anyone can "prove" any point they make because there is a story about it on some disingenuous news organization website. That is all the proof that magats require. A link or meme on the internet.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

death panels......
    She said death panels?  I thought that was Newt.  But that's the only one?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

She was literally so stupid that she ushered in the practice of only putting her on friendly media so that she wouldn't be challenged. This led to an entire universe of bullshit that we are still dealing with. Anyone can "prove" any point they make because there is a story about it on some disingenuous news organization website. That is all the proof that magats require. A link or meme on the internet.
    She could debate.  I thought she did well on there and the one interview she had with Couric is what sunk her.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

I disagree.  She was an idiot,  but not the great manipulator that Trump is

Doesn’t matter that she was an idiot. She trumped before trump. She got them engaged just in time for the Kenya lies. She revolutionized the use of social media to spew lies and conspiracy theories.I’ll defer to Steve Schmidt,

“She is the first of a generation of politicians who live in a post-truth environment. She was, and there’s no polite way to say it, but a serial liar,” Steve Schmidt, who helped lead John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign and pushed him to choose Palin as his running mate, tells FRONTLINEin the documentary America’s Great Divide: From Obama to Trump.

“She would say things that are simply not true, or things that were picked up from the Internet,” the former GOP operative, who had also worked as a campaign adviser to President George W. Bush, continues. “And this obliteration of fact from fiction, of truth from lie, has become now endemic in American politics. But it started then.”

Schmidt and Palin have clashed in the years after the campaign ended, each accusing the other of mischaracterizations.

Palin’s role in exploiting America’s divisions (including on social media) and paving the way for the rise of President Donald Trump is explored as part of America’s Great Divide — a two-night, four-hour special premiering Jan. 13 and 14 on air and online that shows how the country’s increasingly divisive politics over the past decade have led to this moment.

• Options

I agree Russ that her political dreams were crushed and she was not able to turn her lying BS into political wins like trump can. Leaving her governorship before her term was over was the ultimate in stupidity. But she laid the groundwork of lying to lie to protect the lies, and using social media to enhance that. Who did it on this level before her? She was the true maverick.
  • Options
    History is going to have a field day with Palin & tRump.

• Options
    Dems lose next year and maga gets to write the story
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,464
    Yeah I was leaning towards McCain until he chose Palin. That was basically the last straw for me and the republican party moving forward actually. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I was leaning towards McCain until he chose Palin. That was basically the last straw for me and the republican party moving forward actually. 
    same....I voted for Kerry because I was pissed off at Bush for cutting taxes and going to war at the same time. That didn't jive.

I would have veered back for McCain but the party lost me with Palin. The GOP needs to die and re-emerge as a real party. Right now it's just a bunch of racist hilljacks/morons.

• Options
    same....I voted for Kerry because I was pissed off at Bush for cutting taxes and going to war at the same time. That didn't jive.

I would have veered back for McCain but the party lost me with Palin. The GOP needs to die and re-emerge as a real party. Right now it's just a bunch of racist hilljacks/morons.

Spoken like a true cpa..
  • Options

Spoken like a true cpa..
    But it's amazing how many CPAs around me are rabid tRumpsters. And they all push the trickle down bullshit.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,464
    edited July 2023

Yeah I was a republican up until 06/07 ish...but by then you could see weirdo crazy people like Michelle Bachman gaining way more power and influence than someone like her should. And the constant culture war drumbeat was getting off the ground and gaining steam....you could just tell that they were not serious people. And now look at 'em: the wackjobs are running the asylum. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,155
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

This makes sense.  I did vote for Obama over McCain mostly due to Palin and the crazies.  I think Mitt was the last push to keep the party from evolving into what it has become, but you are likely very right regarding the selection of Palin being the first visible sign of what was to come.  Or the first big, national sign.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

I had a client get rooked into this...actually my client's son talked her into putting all of her retirement money into a gold fund and ended up losing at least a third of it.

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

This makes sense.  I did vote for Obama over McCain mostly due to Palin and the crazies.  I think Mitt was the last push to keep the party from evolving into what it has become, but you are likely very right regarding the selection of Palin being the first visible sign of what was to come.  Or the first big, national sign.
    I was always amazed in 2016 to see the people that supported McCain/Romney become rabid tRump supporters even though neither McCain nor Romney supported him. I made that statement several times in facebook arguments. Fucking blew my mind.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    Dems lose next year and maga gets to write the story
    Yep. May some of it will come through in other countries, but America's already starting to tell the story of how good slavery was for the slaves. The victors tell the stories.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

Spoken like a true cpa..
    But it's amazing how many CPAs around me are rabid tRumpsters. And they all push the trickle down bullshit.

Yeah chamber of commerce CPAs, supporting small business, it’s like grand central for conservatives, and being in the center of the country certainly doesn’t help. 

They all believe in the trickle down crap because they make any excuse not to pay taxes. It doesn’t even matter if it’s their taxes. I remember being a young accountant and small business owners would get frustrated about payroll and sales taxes, and I’d need to keep my mouth shut thinking, folks it ain’t your money nor is it your taxes. 
  • Options

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,272
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    No, I don’t like him.

don't forget when katie couric destroyed palin's career when she asked her the gotcha question "what newspapers do you read?".
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

• Options

• Options

I had a client get rooked into this...actually my client's son talked her into putting all of her retirement money into a gold fund and ended up losing at least a third of it.

If there is a commercial for it, bitcoin, gold, reverse mortgages, then you should know that it isn't good for you.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    They need to do a full on investigation like they did to Santos.  I still find this hard to believe that no one knew prior.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,977
    mickeyrat said:
    She appeared weak kneed upon the Ronny Raygun mention. Or not all there in the moment with the starry eyed glaze over look until she snapped to. Mesmerized by the BS.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©