Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Nice to know some conservatives still have enough backbone to rightfully call out this bullshit for what it is. 
    And people thought he was a demon spawn when he was running for president, now that he went up against Trump and this he's ok.
    Demon spawn? I think people disagreed with his politics, still do, but at least knew he was a relatively decent human being. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the current maga republicans though. 
    mickeyrat said:
    Nice to know some conservatives still have enough backbone to rightfully call out this bullshit for what it is. 
    And people thought he was a demon spawn when he was running for president, now that he went up against Trump and this he's ok
    Well, we can pretend nothing has changed and everything is the same as it was when he was running for president, but that would be intellectually dishonest, wouldn't it? 

Things change. It's a drastically different country now than it was even just 11 years ago. 
    People thought he was the antichrist.  This was the time when all the ugliness in politics was really starting to show.  Having Trump around made everything prior seem like childs play now.

@Merkin Baller yes, that was my point.  The world was viewed much differently years ago.
    I think you're being a little hyperbolic w/ "Demon spawn" & "Antichrist", but I get your point. I wasn't a fan of him or his politics, but the last 8 years have added a lot of perspective, as they'll do. 

It's also worth noting that this was well after the start of the tea party & birtherism etc... the ugliness was already well established by 2012. 
    Oh for sure but I saw it raise to new heights during the Obama years.

I forgot about the Tea Party, it seems like forever ago.  Do you remember the Minute Men?  They got some press for a bit.
    I didn't at first, but after a quick google search, I recall them a little. They seem like a swell bunch. 

Looks like in addition to the minute men border patrol of the early 2000s, they were also an anti-communist group back in the '60s. 

It's amazing the way history continues to repeat itself in the good ol' US of A,. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    And people thought he was a demon spawn when he was running for president, now that he went up against Trump and this he's ok.
    Demon spawn? I think people disagreed with his politics, still do, but at least knew he was a relatively decent human being. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the current maga republicans though. 
    mickeyrat said:
    And people thought he was a demon spawn when he was running for president, now that he went up against Trump and this he's ok
    Well, we can pretend nothing has changed and everything is the same as it was when he was running for president, but that would be intellectually dishonest, wouldn't it? 

Things change. It's a drastically different country now than it was even just 11 years ago. 
    People thought he was the antichrist.  This was the time when all the ugliness in politics was really starting to show.  Having Trump around made everything prior seem like childs play now.

@Merkin Baller yes, that was my point.  The world was viewed much differently years ago.
    I think you're being a little hyperbolic w/ "Demon spawn" & "Antichrist", but I get your point. I wasn't a fan of him or his politics, but the last 8 years have added a lot of perspective, as they'll do. 

It's also worth noting that this was well after the start of the tea party & birtherism etc... the ugliness was already well established by 2012. 

I forgot about the Tea Party, it seems like forever ago.  Do you remember the Minute Men?  They got some press for a bit.
    I didn't at first, but after a quick google search, I recall them a little. They seem like a swell bunch. 

Looks like in addition to the minute men border patrol of the early 2000s, they were also an anti-communist group back in the '60s. 

It's amazing the way history continues to repeat itself in the good ol' US of A,. 
    Hold it, there were a Minute Men carrying the McCarhyism torch in the 60's?  Well hot damn, I didn't know that.  Time to google and read up.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Hold it, there were a Minute Men carrying the McCarhyism torch in the 60's?  Well hot damn, I didn't know that.  Time to google and read up.
    Only based on what I just saw on google... OTOH though, it was on the internet so it has to be true, right? 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Only based on what I just saw on google... OTOH though, it was on the internet so it has to be true, right? 
    All sorts of things came around in the 60's so I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

All sorts of things came around in the 60's so I wouldn't be surprised.
    The group from the '60s was the first google hit... I thought "no wonder I don't remember them... how the f old does Tempo think I am?"
  • Options
    Has the NYPost released Hunter's laptop yet? Explained the chain of custody and how it came into Ruddy Ghouliani's possession? Anyone at the Post been subpoenaed to testify?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Considering the yutes of 'Murica not being drawn by Sarah Hucksterbee, don't you forget about them.

Charlie Kirk’s right-wing empire loses a key asset: Students for Trump

The split shows how Turning Point USA and its affiliates are wrestling with their identity as parts of the GOP seek a Trump alternative

As the 2024 presidential election cycle gets underway, the political arm of Turning Point USA, the influential right-wing nonprofit run by Charlie Kirk, is losing a key asset: Students for Trump.

Students for Trump has leased its popular web domains and social media accounts to Kirk’s Turning Point Action since 2019, supporting the group’s move into more explicit campaign work and solidifying its identity for donors as the country’s premier conservative youth movement. With more than 1.3 million followers across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, Students for Trump has amplified Turning Point’s online megaphone, making its messaging go viral and rallying its activists around the former president.

Now, Students for Trump is clawing back control over those assets, according to contract documents and people familiar with the situation, raising questions about how closely Turning Point will be associated with Donald Trump’s 2024 campaign. The split, which has not been previously reported, shows how the Turning Point network, which gained prominence over the last seven years because of its proximity to Trump, is wrestling with its role and direction as parts of the GOP seek out an alternative standard-bearer.

The separation follows a failed effort by Kirk’s main deputy, Tyler Bowyer, to assert greater control over the Students for Trump accounts, said knowledgeable people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private dealings. The changes Bowyer floated would have included removing the Trump name and renaming the accounts as official Turning Point properties. He discussed leveraging the rebranded accounts as part of a new initiative using social media influencers to fundraise for political candidates, according to people who heard Bowyer’s pitch. But not all the money would go to the candidates, as influencers would get a cut of any fundraising they perform.

The idea fell flat with Students for Trump’s national chairman, Ryan Fournier, according to people familiar with the discussions. Fournier indicated that he wanted the identification with Trump to remain explicit and worried that the revenue plan proposed by Bowyer, the chief operating officer of Turning Point Action, the political arm of Turning Point USA, would leave too little money for candidates.

Andrew Kolvet, a Turning Point spokesman, said there was no intention to rename the social media accounts so long as Trump was in the race for president. He also said Turning Point leaders were “still allies of the Students for Trump project and support it wholeheartedly.” Fournier declined to comment.

The dynamic is a delicate one for Turning Point, which has long been able to pitch its pro-Trump tent large enough to fit other big-name GOP politicians who flock to the group’s conferences. A competitive presidential primary, however, may soon pit Trump against some of those politicians, testing the loyalty of groups like Turning Point.

Galas hosted by Turning Point at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Florida over the past two years have featured vehement debate among donors about whether nominating Trump again would harm the party’s prospects, according to people in attendance. “Probably the most common view is, ‘Please, God, let it be someone else,’” one person said, summarizing the comments.

One option favored by some of the group’s benefactors is Ron DeSantis, Florida’s popular Republican governor. “I think Ron DeSantis would be Donald Trump without all the baggage,” Doug Deason, a Dallas investor and member of Turning Point USA’s advisory council, told the Daily Mail.

Bowyer helped bring DeSantis to Phoenix, where Turning Point is based, several months before last year’s midterms. Kirk stumped with DeSantis in the Tampa Bay area on the Saturday before the midterms, days before DeSantis coasted to reelection, while many of Trump’s favored candidates stumbled.

Last month, DeSantis sat for a one-on-one interview with Kirk in the governor’s mansion in Tallahassee and spoke favorably of the Kirk-endorsed candidate for chair of the Republican National Committee, Harmeet Dhillon, who mounted an unsuccessful challenge to Trump-backed Ronna McDaniel.

Kirk, on a different episode of his talk show, called Trump’s support for McDaniel “demoralizing,” though he reaffirmed that he was backing Trump in 2024 “enthusiastically, by the way.”

Turning Point as an organization, however, has been less clear about its plans. It has hardly spurned Trump, as have other high-profile activist groups, such as Americans for Prosperity, which is backed by billionaire Charles Koch. But it also resisted immediately endorsing Trump after his announcement last fall, unlike some groups focused on young conservatives, such as the New York Young Republican Club and the California College Republicans.

Turning Point’s more ambiguous stance reflects its latest effort to reinvent itself, as well as the growing pains of a group fueled by Trump-era culture wars. Founded in 2012 to promote support for free markets among young people, it soon became an appendage of Trump’s MAGA movement, raising more than $65 million annually, according to public filings by Turning Point and its affiliated groups, which are set up as nonprofits. With those resources, Turning Point grew into a conservative influence machine involving political jamborees, podcasts, biblical citizenship classes and K-12 curriculum.

Over time, its efforts to transcend Trump’s movement put Turning Point at odds with Students for Trump, which has maintained an unswerving mission of building youth support for the MAGA movement. Fournier founded the initiative in 2015 while at college in North Carolina, first as a single Twitter account. Today, it boasts about 250,000 followers on Twitter. An Instagram account brings its 832,000 followers a stream of memes ridiculing Democrats and the left.

Turning Point Action’s own social media accounts, meanwhile, maintain more modest activities, with fewer than 10,000 followers on Twitter. The group’s 501(c)3 arm, Turning Point USA, has a larger following, but tax law limits its election-related work.

A 2019 news release announcing the acquisition of Students for Trump called it a “social media phenomenon” and said it would anchor the network’s campaign work in the 2020 cycle.

“Students for Trump will be the official chapter-based, pro-Trump student group on hundreds of college and high school campuses across America beginning this fall,” the release promised.

A profile of Kirk on the Turning Point site says Students for Trump in 2020 “activated hundreds of thousands of new college voters through its more than 350 chapters present on campuses in battleground states.”

Charlie Kirk’s right-wing empire loses a key asset: Students for Trump - The Washington Post

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    There are times I just have to believe my own eyes and ears. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,834
    Kat said:

I like your non-mod participation.

thanks for this post.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    McCarthy excuses Republicans who heckled Biden, calls them ‘passionate’  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/02/08/biden-mccarthy-republicans-heckling/ 

McCarthy excuses Republicans who heckled Biden, calls them ‘passionate’
    By John Wagner
    February 08, 2023 at 13:34 ET
    House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) on Wednesday excused fellow Republicans who heckled President Biden during his State of the Union address, saying they were “passionate.” But he suggested that the smarter play would be not to “take the bait” from Biden.
    McCarthy’s comments came during a Fox News interview after a clip was played from Tuesday night’s speech in which Biden said “some Republicans” want to require new votes to authorize Social Security and Medicare every five years. The president was referring to a plan by Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) that would require such votes on all legislation.
    Biden’s line was met with yelling by Republicans, including Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), who called Biden a “liar.”
    “Fox & Friends” co-host Steve Doocy noted that polling showed that independent voters were turned off by the heckling and asked McCarthy what happened.
    “Well, the president was trying to goad the members, and the members are passionate about it,” McCarthy said.
    McCarthy accused Biden of saying “something he knew was not true” and reiterated that House Republicans are not seeking to cut Social Security or Medicare.
    Still, McCarthy counseled: “We need to be smart. Don’t take the bait.”
    The GOP heckling came despite McCarthy’s reminder to Republicans earlier Tuesday to behave during the president’s address. Hours before the speech, McCarthy and other Republican leaders had told lawmakers during their weekly conference meeting that all eyes would be on them as Biden delivered his remarks, according to people in the room for the meeting who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss it freely.

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    edited February 2023
  • Options
    And who is that POOTWH base again? And who made up the bulk of his Administration? And who’s the slicker version ready to tap into that base? Doesn’t bode well for ‘Murica’s future.

A new poll gives us insight into a troubling anti-American movement

When you hear the phrase “Christian nationalists,” you might think of antiabortion conservatives who are upset about the phrase “Happy Holidays” and embrace a vaguely “America First” way of thinking. But according to a Public Religion Research Institute-Brookings Institution poll releasedWednesday, Christian nationalists in fact harbor a set of extreme beliefs at odds with pluralistic democracy. The findings will alarm you.

“Christian nationalism is a new term for a worldview that has been with us since the founding of our country — the idea that America is destined to be a promised land for European Christians,” PRRI president and founder Robert P. Jones explained in a news releaseon the survey of more than 6,000 Americans. “While most Americans today embrace pluralism and reject this anti-democratic claim, majorities of white evangelical Protestants and Republicans remain animated by this vision of a white Christian America.”

The poll used the following beliefs to gauge how deeply respondents embraced Christian nationalism:

• “The U.S. government should declare America a Christian nation.”
    • “U.S. laws should be based on Christian values.”
    • “If the U.S. moves away from our Christian foundations, we will not have a country anymore.”
    • “Being Christian is an important part of being truly American.”
    • “God has called Christians to exercise dominion over all areas of American society.”

PRRI found that 10 percent (“adherents”) of American adults believe in these ideas overwhelmingly or completely; 19 percent agree but not completely (“sympathizers”); 39 percent disagree (“skeptics”) but not completely; and 29 percent disagree completely (“rejecters”).

Who are these people? “Nearly two-thirds of white evangelical Protestants qualify as either Christian nationalism sympathizers (35%) or adherents (29%).” Thirty-five percent of all Whites are adherents. Put differently, Christian nationalist adherents are a minority but when combined with sympathizers still comprise a stunning 29 percent of Americans — many tens of millions.

Christian nationalists also make up the base of the Republican Party. “Most Republicans qualify as either Christian nationalism sympathizers (33%) or adherents (21%), while at least three-quarters of both independents (46% skeptics and 29% rejecters) and Democrats (36% skeptics and 47% rejecters) lean toward rejecting Christian nationalism.” In total, “Republicans (21%) are about four times as likely as Democrats (5%) or independents (6%) to be adherents of Christian nationalism.” Some promising news: There are fewer adherents and sympathizers among younger Americans. “More than seven in ten Americans ages 18-29 (37% skeptics, 42% rejecters) and ages 30-49 (37% skeptics, 35% rejecters) lean toward opposing Christian nationalism.” Support is also inversely related to educational attainment.

Christian nationalist adherents are emphatically out of synch with the pluralist majority. “Americans overall are much more likely to express a preference for the U.S. to be a nation made up of people belonging to a variety of religions (73%).” They also are much more likely to hold authoritarian and racist views.

“Adherents of Christian nationalism are nearly seven times as likely as rejecters to agree that ‘true patriots might have to resort to violence to save our country’ (40% vs. 16%),” the news release said. In addition, “While only about 3 in 10 Americans (28%) agree that ‘because things have gotten so far off track in this country, we need a leader who is willing to break some rules if that’s what it takes to set thing right,’ half of Christian nationalism adherents and nearly 4 in 10 sympathizers (38%) support the idea of an authoritarian leader.”

There is also a strong racist/white grievance element:

Around four in ten Americans (41%) agree that discrimination against white Americans is as big of a problem as discrimination against Black Americans and other minorities, compared to 58% who disagree. Approximately two-thirds of Christian nationalism sympathizers (66%) and more than three-quarters of Christian nationalism adherents (77%) agree with this statement. Among Christian nationalism sympathizers and adherents who are white, agreement with this sentiment rises to 73% and 85%, respectively.

Moreover, a stunning 83 percent of adherents think “God intended America to be a new promised land where European Christians could create a society that could be an example to the rest of the world.” Two-thirds of Americans overall reject this explicitly racist statement

More than 70 percent of adherents embrace replacement theory, nearly one-quarter harbor the antisemitic view that Jews hold too many positions of power and 44 percent believe Jews are more loyal to Israel than America, the poll found. More than 65 percent think Muslims from some countries should be banned. Almost 70 percent believe “the husband is the head of the household in ‘a truly Christian family’ and his wife submits to his leadership.”

If you thing this sounds like MAGA tripe, you’re right. This is the hardcore MAGA base. More alarming: “Nearly six in ten QAnon believers are also either Christian nationalism sympathizers (29%) or adherents (29%).”

The findings highlight challenges to those who cherish the American creed that “All men are created equal” and who embrace the anti-establishment clause of the First Amendment. And because Christian nationalists adopt their views as articles of religious faith, they might be far less willing to reexamine them. The task of inculcating American values of inclusion, democracy and rule of law will have to come, in all likelihood, from within church communities.

The survey also confirms that Christian nationalism is not tied to any specific candidate. Rather, a vast number of like-minded Americans could be receptive to an authoritarian, racist, dogmatic message donning the cloak of Christianity. Defeating a single candidate won’t end this movement.

Given their numbers and potential staying power, the response to this threat to pluralistic democracy must be cross-partisan. And it will have to go beyond politics. To counteract Christian nationalism we will need a positive, optimistic message that celebrates an inclusive, diverse democracy in which no American is more “real” than another.

What makes us unique — or “exceptional” as the right likes to say — is that America isn’t defined by race or religion. Believers in American values have their work cut out for them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/09/prri-poll-christian-nationalism/

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I have a feeling Sununu would run circles around Desantis in a debate and would be a good general election candidate....yet the deplorable base probably won't go for him. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/09/new-hampshire-sununu-desantis-conservative-00082032

‘Sorry, Ron, you're No. 2’: Sununu says he’s the top dog among conservative governors

“I'm ranked the most fiscally conservative governor in the country,” Sununu told POLITICO.

“I'm ranked the most fiscally conservative governor in the country,” Chris Sununu, who is expected to make a 2024 presidential bid, said. | Scott Olson/Getty Images

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu wants voters to know: He’s a conservative.

The Republican governor, known for being outspoken against former President Donald Trump, tried to shed the moderate label often foisted upon him during an interview at POLITICO’s The Fifty: America’s Governors.

“I’m ranked the most fiscally conservative governor in the country,” said Sununu, who is expected to make a 2024 presidential bid. “I’m No. 1 in personal freedoms. Sorry, Ron, you’re No. 2,” he added, a jab at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, considered a frontrunner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

“I would challenge anyone on Second Amendment rights. We’re far and away the best, you know, because we believe in those individual freedoms. Regulatory reform, I’ll challenge any state on it,” Sununu added.

Sununu acknowledged that he may be “more moderate” on social issues. But on those issues, New Hampshire has “better results than almost anywhere else,” he said.

“I would challenge anyone on conservative credentials.”

Sununu also took shots at Democratic Party plans to strip New Hampshire of its first-in-the-nation status in the presidential primary calendar, calling the move “a complete fool’s errand,” and saying the plan to bestow that status on South Carolina would open President Joe Biden up to primary attacks.

“He’s really opened... himself up for challengers,” Sununu said. “And I firmly believe there will be challengers.”

“They’re gonna have to let it play out. But there’s no doubt someone will step in and be a real challenger to Biden, because he tried to move the primary away from [New Hampshire],” Sununu said.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    mickeyrat said:
    Kat said:

I like your non-mod participation.

thanks for this post.
    Concerned citizen first, and thank you, mickeyrat. If I see something to contribute, I'll bring it. There's a lot to talk about. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,207
    edited February 2023
    Kat said:

no idea how people still vote for this party when they speak like this.  unless you are wealthy you are just voting against your own interests. it's crazy to me and I know plenty of people who will not vote for Dems.  I really don't understand it.  And I don't mean to imply that Dems don't have plenty of flaws but in general they aren't out to screw the average American.  
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    pjhawks said:
    Kat said:

no idea how people still vote for this party when they speak like this.  unless you are wealthy you are just voting against your own interests. it's crazy to me and I know plenty of people who will not vote for Dems.  I really don't understand it.  And I don't mean to imply that Dems don't have plenty of flaws but in general they aren't out to screw the average American.  
    Even if you are wealthy how do you justify voting GOP? I agree with you though....I always have told my kids that the Dems are about people and Repubs are against everything the Dems are for.

Literally it makes no sense for a small gov't repub to support laws against abortion. That's the ultimate government power grab.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    cue the outrage machine....

Chick-fil-A tests its first plant-based sandwich
    By DEE-ANN DURBIN
    Today

Chick-fil-A is jumping on the plant-based bandwagon.

The Atlanta chain said Thursday that it’s testing its first plant-based entrée __ a breaded cauliflower sandwich __ at restaurants in Denver; Charleston, South Carolina; and the Greensboro, North Carolina, area. The test begins Feb. 13.

Chick-fil-A said its culinary team spent four years developing the sandwich after guests told the chain they wanted to add more vegetables to their diets. Chick-fil-A tested mushrooms, chickpeas and chopped vegetables formed into patties but kept returning to cauliflower for its mild flavor.

Like Chick-fil-A’s signature chicken sandwich, the cauliflower steak is marinated, breaded, pressure-cooked and then served on a bun with two pickle slices.

Chick-fil-A is a relative latecomer to the plant-based fast food scene. Burger King started selling its Impossible Whopper __ featuring a plant-based burger made by Impossible Foods __ in 2019. Starbucks launched an Impossible sausage sandwich in 2020. McDonald’s debuted its McPlant burger __ developed with Beyond Meat __ in the United Kingdom in 2021. And KFC began selling Beyond Meat nuggets last year.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

By DEE-ANN DURBIN
    Today

The Atlanta chain said Thursday that it’s testing its first plant-based entrée __ a breaded cauliflower sandwich __ at restaurants in Denver; Charleston, South Carolina; and the Greensboro, North Carolina, area. The test begins Feb. 13.

Chick-fil-A said its culinary team spent four years developing the sandwich after guests told the chain they wanted to add more vegetables to their diets. Chick-fil-A tested mushrooms, chickpeas and chopped vegetables formed into patties but kept returning to cauliflower for its mild flavor.

Like Chick-fil-A’s signature chicken sandwich, the cauliflower steak is marinated, breaded, pressure-cooked and then served on a bun with two pickle slices.

Chick-fil-A is a relative latecomer to the plant-based fast food scene. Burger King started selling its Impossible Whopper __ featuring a plant-based burger made by Impossible Foods __ in 2019. Starbucks launched an Impossible sausage sandwich in 2020. McDonald’s debuted its McPlant burger __ developed with Beyond Meat __ in the United Kingdom in 2021. And KFC began selling Beyond Meat nuggets last year.

They done gone all woke and shit!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

By DEE-ANN DURBIN
    Today

I can guarantee that Tucker Carlson will be talking about this within the next week....right after he does a five minute segment on the Maya Rudolph's less than sexy m&m's  Super Bowl commercial. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/09/mitt-romney-book-republicans-authoritarian-biography

Mitt Romney to mull Republicans’ ‘slide toward authoritarianism’ in biography

Biographer of Utah senator and former presidential nominee ‘astonished by his level of candor’ in cooperating with new book

Mitt Romney lost the 2012 presidential election to Barack Obama and was later elected to the US Senate where he twice voted to impeach Donald Trump
    Mitt Romney lost the 2012 election to Barack Obama and was later elected to the US Senate, where he twice voted to impeach Donald Trump. Photograph: Amanda Andrade-Rhoades/Reuters
    Thu 9 Feb 2023 08.45 EST

In a new biography, the Utah senator and former US presidential nominee Mitt Romney will reportedly consider the Republican party’s “slide toward authoritarianism” and how he may have helped empower extremists.

The book will be called Romney: A Reckoning and will be published in October. News of its release comes after the senator made headlines by confronting George Santos, the New York fabulist who has rocked the House Republican party, before Joe Biden’s State of the Union address.

Romney said Santos was a “sick puppy” who did not belong in Congress. Santos, who faces investigations and calls to resign but remains a key vote in support of the House speaker, Kevin McCarthy, responded by taunting Romney over his failed presidential ambitions.

Romney’s biographer, McKay Coppins, told Axios of the senator’s “candor”.

“I’ve been covering Senator Romney for more than a decade,” Coppins said. “When I approached him two years ago about writing this biography, I told him it would only work if he was ready to be completely forthcoming.

“He reacted like it was a dare. I was astonished by his level of candor.”

Axios said Romney’s cooperation extended to giving Coppins “private emails, text messages and diary entries … including real-time communications among many of the most powerful figures in American politics”.

Emails and journal pages, it said, covered the 2012 presidential election. In that contest, Romney, a financier and former Massachusetts governor regarded as a Republican with appeal to middle America, lost conclusively to Barack Obama.

In 2016, Romney first opposed Donald Trump then flirted with working for him as secretary of state.

Elected to the Senate in Utah in 2018, Romney returned to opposing Trump as a more moderate voice in the congressional Republican party.

Romney was the only Republican senator to vote to convict Trump in his first impeachment trial, for seeking political dirt from Ukraine. He was one of seven senators who voted to convict in Trump’s second trial, for inciting the Capitol riot.

According to Axios, Romney considered a memoir but opted to cooperate with Coppins, without editorial control, because he felt he could not be “objective about my own life”.

Coppins, the site said, will now “show Romney himself reckoning with what he considers his party’s slide toward authoritarianism and what role he may have played in empowering the extreme forces within the GOP”.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    y

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/09/mitt-romney-book-republicans-authoritarian-biography

Biographer of Utah senator and former presidential nominee ‘astonished by his level of candor’ in cooperating with new book

Mitt Romney lost the 2012 presidential election to Barack Obama and was later elected to the US Senate where he twice voted to impeach Donald Trump
    Mitt Romney lost the 2012 election to Barack Obama and was later elected to the US Senate, where he twice voted to impeach Donald Trump. Photograph: Amanda Andrade-Rhoades/Reuters
    Thu 9 Feb 2023 08.45 EST

In a new biography, the Utah senator and former US presidential nominee Mitt Romney will reportedly consider the Republican party’s “slide toward authoritarianism” and how he may have helped empower extremists.

The book will be called Romney: A Reckoning and will be published in October. News of its release comes after the senator made headlines by confronting George Santos, the New York fabulist who has rocked the House Republican party, before Joe Biden’s State of the Union address.

Romney said Santos was a “sick puppy” who did not belong in Congress. Santos, who faces investigations and calls to resign but remains a key vote in support of the House speaker, Kevin McCarthy, responded by taunting Romney over his failed presidential ambitions.

“I’ve been covering Senator Romney for more than a decade,” Coppins said. “When I approached him two years ago about writing this biography, I told him it would only work if he was ready to be completely forthcoming.

Axios said Romney’s cooperation extended to giving Coppins “private emails, text messages and diary entries … including real-time communications among many of the most powerful figures in American politics”.

Emails and journal pages, it said, covered the 2012 presidential election. In that contest, Romney, a financier and former Massachusetts governor regarded as a Republican with appeal to middle America, lost conclusively to Barack Obama.

In 2016, Romney first opposed Donald Trump then flirted with working for him as secretary of state.

Elected to the Senate in Utah in 2018, Romney returned to opposing Trump as a more moderate voice in the congressional Republican party.

Romney was the only Republican senator to vote to convict Trump in his first impeachment trial, for seeking political dirt from Ukraine. He was one of seven senators who voted to convict in Trump’s second trial, for inciting the Capitol riot.

According to Axios, Romney considered a memoir but opted to cooperate with Coppins, without editorial control, because he felt he could not be “objective about my own life”.

Coppins, the site said, will now “show Romney himself reckoning with what he considers his party’s slide toward authoritarianism and what role he may have played in empowering the extreme forces within the GOP”.

As RNC chairman Michael Steele had a lot to do with getting tea party folks elected...... that was 2010......

• Options

Thu 9 Feb 2023 08.45 EST

"Slide toward authoritarianism?" More like headlong dive. And we were told that "it couldn't happen here."

Adherents of Christian nationalism are nearly seven times as likely as rejecters to agree that ‘true patriots might have to resort to violence to save our country’ (40% vs. 16%),” the news release said. In addition, “While only about 3 in 10 Americans (28%) agree that ‘because things have gotten so far off track in this country, we need a leader who is willing to break some rules if that’s what it takes to set thing right,’ half of Christian nationalism adherents and nearly 4 in 10 sympathizers (38%) support the idea of an authoritarian leader.”

There is also a strong racist/white grievance element:

Around four in ten Americans (41%) agree that discrimination against white Americans is as big of a problem as discrimination against Black Americans and other minorities, compared to 58% who disagree. Approximately two-thirds of Christian nationalism sympathizers (66%) and more than three-quarters of Christian nationalism adherents (77%) agree with this statement. Among Christian nationalism sympathizers and adherents who are white, agreement with this sentiment rises to 73% and 85%, respectively.

Moreover, a stunning 83 percent of adherents think “God intended America to be a new promised land where European Christians could create a society that could be an example to the rest of the world.” Two-thirds of Americans overall reject this explicitly racist statement

More than 70 percent of adherents embrace replacement theory, nearly one-quarter harbor the antisemitic view that Jews hold too many positions of power and 44 percent believe Jews are more loyal to Israel than America, the poll found. More than 65 percent think Muslims from some countries should be banned. Almost 70 percent believe “the husband is the head of the household in ‘a truly Christian family’ and his wife submits to his leadership.”

If you thing this sounds like MAGA tripe, you’re right. This is the hardcore MAGA base. More alarming: “Nearly six in ten QAnon believers are also either Christian nationalism sympathizers (29%) or adherents (29%).”

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,564
    edited February 2023
    Who has watched The Family, the limited series documentary on Netflix? Watch it! The US is indeed leaping towards authoritarianism, in the form of a theocracy, and this doc shows you some of that shit storm that's been brewing for so so so long. I just wish it had been released more recently - it could use another episode or two added on now!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Anybody watch this or even heard of it?  Proud Family on Disney.  Of course FOX is all over it.  Friend of mine posted this but haven't seen anything on it really.  Trying to find a good article that isn't from FOX about it.
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/disney-digging-grave-woke-nonsense-karol-markowicz
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981

Just a few miles from me....I should go say hi
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,127

Only if it’s “consensual“ mmmm
  • Options

Only if it’s “consensual“ mmmm
    Is mother present or is it all male FBI agents?

Brilliantati©