Options

Lou Barlow / Sebadoh / Folk Implosion / Sentridoh

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    goldrush said:
    My copy of the final instalment of the Artist Enabler series arrived yesterday.

Lou’s new album ‘Reason To Live’ on blue vinyl, the sleeve was hand made, scratched out, coloured etc by Lou
    7” of children’s TV show songs
    ’Last of the Losers’ cassette

Fantastic!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Another one for the Lou collection just arrived.

‘Live At Sonic Boom Records 1/24/05’, limited to 200 copies =)

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Lou has got another ‘backyard gigs’ tour coming up:

“here’s th complete list of shows imabout t play!! Cedar Grove NJ the last piece of the puzzle!! u buy yr tix thru the link https://www.eventbrite.com/o/lou-barlow-17083068226 and r provided w the location, then, if it’s a backyard,  u just show up w yr chair and I play at u for 2 and a half hours!! u can yell out songs for me t play and, if I can, I play them.. like all decent things in life it’s simple!! plenty of tix available everywhere!! (tix t the Dragon Saddle Fest are available thru a separate link, it’s a proper shindig w the Supersuckers!)”

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Lou has got another ‘backyard gigs’ tour coming up:

“here’s th complete list of shows imabout t play!! Cedar Grove NJ the last piece of the puzzle!! u buy yr tix thru the link https://www.eventbrite.com/o/lou-barlow-17083068226 and r provided w the location, then, if it’s a backyard,  u just show up w yr chair and I play at u for 2 and a half hours!! u can yell out songs for me t play and, if I can, I play them.. like all decent things in life it’s simple!! plenty of tix available everywhere!! (tix t the Dragon Saddle Fest are available thru a separate link, it’s a proper shindig w the Supersuckers!)”

Steve Wynn (of the Dream Syndicate, et al) just finished up  a series of backyard/ small venue tours.  Such a cool idea! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    A beautiful couple!
    May be an image of 2 people and indoor

• Options

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The new Folk Implosion single has dropped  B)

Feel It If You Feel It is available on their Bandcamp page on vinyl (limited to 300 copies, due to ship in November), cd, cassette, and digital

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I completely forgot that I’d pre-ordered the Folk Implosion 12” single last April! It arrived this morning and was a very cool surprise.

12” silver vinyl, in a hand drawn sleeve signed by Lou and John on the back  =)

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I missed out on getting one of these, but they look cool as hell.

'It Just Goes With...' by The Folk Implosion is a "uniquely-designed "Four-Sided" lathe cut format, featuring triple-spindled clear 10", limited 163 copies, each copy is uniquely hand-crafted by lathe-guru Mike Dixon, packaged with screen-printed, hand-numbered artwork."

Here's Lou's "instructional video" showing how it works

https://youtu.be/0L8oCd0-NQ0

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    ^^^^^ They look cool! I passed. Didn't want to spend the $100.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    So… this happened last night…

Phoenix Central Park is a pretty cool performance space in Sydney. It only holds about 120 people and tickets are free, but you have to sign up for a ballot to have a chance. Lou played 2 shows but I missed the post about the ballot last week so I thought I was going to miss out. 

Luckily Lou posted that there were 5 or 6 spots open for both of his shows and I was lucky enough to get in for the 8.15 show  =) 
    It all happened so fast that the evening was a bit of a blur! I didn’t take any photos and can’t remember much of the set list - it was a real ‘in the moment’ experience. Just another reason why Lou is one of my favourite musicians on the planet. He was funny as always in between songs, and played some pretty deep cuts from his catalogue.

It more than makes up for the fact that I couldn’t get to either Dinosaur Jr show tonight or J’s solo show.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    New Folk Implosion album ‘Walk Thru Me’ will be released on June 28th  =)

“How the fuck are we going to turn this into a song?” That’s the question Lou Barlow and John Davis have asked themselves since co-founding the Folk Implosion in the early 1990s. Beginning with improvised jams featuring Barlow on bass and Davis on drums, the duo develop their beat-driven pop collages from the ground up. It’s the process they used on their debut cassette, Walk Through This World with the Folk Implosion, and one they’ve returned to 30 years later on their spellbinding, self-referencing reunion, Walk Thru Me.  

Separated from their homes in Massachusetts and North Carolina, Barlow and Davis collaborated remotely, flashing back to their early friendship as penpals. A sweaty bass and drums session went down in Barlow’s attic, before they booked studio time with producer Scott Salter (St. Vincent, Spoon, The Mountain Goats). 

Contrasts and comparisons are the keys to unlocking Walk Thru Me, and the Folk Implosion as a whole. Beyond the audible differences between Barlow’s soft voice and Davis’s urgent, reedy proclamations, their approaches to songwriting are strikingly distinct. While Barlow approached his lyrics from a protective paternal perspective (“My Little Lamb”), Davis paid tribute to his late father, shining a light on their complicated relationship (“The Day You Died”). 

Finally, Davis’s Persian music studies in weekly Zoom lessons inspired him to integrate traditional Middle Eastern instruments such as the setar, oud, saz, and tombak. 

“Because we’re so separate, part of this album is me desperately trying to telepathically communicate to John and Scott, who are 700 miles away from me,” Barlow concludes. “A big part of what I consider to be the Folk Implosion is taking disparate things and turning them into pop.”

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    New single, Moonlit Kind, also dropped today

https://youtu.be/5dDOoDkXJXU?si=86l8WQ_kAy43fQVx

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    New single, Moonlit Kind, also dropped today

https://youtu.be/5dDOoDkXJXU?si=86l8WQ_kAy43fQVx

Ooooh!  Nice, I like it!