Options

2020 Tour Posters: Rank 'Em

jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856
So the poster you bought or were gonna buy doesn't commemorate the great time you had in that city, or conjure memories of the setlist for a show that became an instant classic. Even moreso than normal tour posters, one might argue, the 2020 posters are artwork: capsules of strange days and what might have been. There are some great looking posters from this "tour". Do you agree? How would you rank 'em? How does your list compare with the best sellers? Does Ames' Baltimore design hint of a full album performance of Gigaton? Would Sperry's have topped them all? Ok, I'll start....

1. San Diego
2. Ottawa
3. Quebec City
4. NYC 1 (Williams)
5. St. Louis
6. Baltimore
7. NYC 2 (Mumford)
8. Toronto
9. Nashville
10. Hamilton
11. Phoenix
12. Oklahoma City
13. Denver
14. Oakland 1

Comments

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,250
    Balt
    STL 
    NYC 1
    OKC 
    Ottawa 
    NYC2
    Hamilton 
    PHX/Nash
    Toronto 
    Tied for last: Denver OAK1 San Diego Quebec 
  • Options
    1. NYC 1 - Williams
    2. Baltimore 
    3. Quebec City
    4. Ottawa 
    5. OKC
    6. San Diego
    7. St Louis
    8. Toronto 
    9. NYC - Mumford
    10. Phoenix 
    11.Nashville 
    12. Oakland
    13. Hamilton 
    14. Denver

...I am sure some will change after a while. But my ranking so far
  • Options
    CrewCrew Posts: 299
    Toronto
    Baltimore
    NYC Mumford
    St. Louis
    Klausen (both)

The rest in no particular order.
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    I said a version of this in the Lost Dogs thread, but to me the NYC Williams is the best because it works best as, like you said, a “capsule of strange days and what might have been.” While many of the other posters work off the theme of climate change, NYC1 really jumps out to me as capturing the convergence of what should have been the launch of Pearl Jam’s US tour and the outbreak of global mayhem, both colliding in New York at roughly the same time. To me it seems so on-point that it’s almost hard to believe it was designed pre-COVID (though I think that about several lines/songs on Gigaton too so I guess it’s appropriate).

But after I made other post I looked again and realized that it doesn’t actually say “2020” anywhere on it which is a bit of a drawback.
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    I said a version of this in the Lost Dogs thread, but to me the NYC Williams is the best because it works best as, like you said, a “capsule of strange days and what might have been.” While many of the other posters work off the theme of climate change, NYC1 really jumps out to me as capturing the convergence of what should have been the launch of Pearl Jam’s US tour and the outbreak of global mayhem, both colliding in New York at roughly the same time. To me it seems so on-point that it’s almost hard to believe it was designed pre-COVID (though I think that about several lines/songs on Gigaton too so I guess it’s appropriate).

But after I made other post I looked again and realized that it doesn’t actually say “2020” anywhere on it which is a bit of a drawback.
    No doubt and well said, my friend. Clairvoyant :glasses: in a way similar to some of the lyrics/tracks on RTJ4.

On a similar note, interesting the Apollo poster was piggybacked onto the 3/30 MSG show poster. Williams, IMO, seized the opportunity to elevate his poster design, but still kinda surprising that Apollo didn't get it's own print :pensive:
  • Options
    Did the Williams poster already go on sale here and I missed it?  Checking for a friend....
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    @jjflash
    you missed the poster for the secret fundraiser show that PJ was doing a few days before their NY trip down here in South Jersey for Operation Yellow Ribbon to benefit our never ending growing expensive care package shipping expenses.  Shh don't tell anyone but the BK/Emek/Sperry/Munk One collaboration for this poster would have been the best!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,951
    @jjflash
    you missed the poster for the secret fundraiser show that PJ was doing a few days before their NY trip down here in South Jersey for Operation Yellow Ribbon to benefit our never ending growing expensive care package shipping expenses.  Shh don't tell anyone but the BK/Emek/Sperry/Munk One collaboration for this poster would have been the best!

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    I'm not digging the Oak1 poster, which I think is a good thing, because if had been a beautiful poster, I would of felt more bad about the show getting postponed.

I am still curious if we'll see an Oak2 poster out of this?
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I'm not digging the Oak1 poster, which I think is a good thing, because if had been a beautiful poster, I would of felt more bad about the show getting postponed.

I am still curious if we'll see an Oak2 poster out of this?
    I am pretty sure that it has been revealed that Chuck Sperry was designated to do Oak2, but that it wasn't produced and, therefore, won't show up here-or anywhere for that matter.  I love Sperry posters and will be forever gutted  depressed if he isn't re-enlisted to do the make up show down the line....
  • Options
    DE4173DE4173 Posts: 324
    OKC
    Toronto
    NYC 2 (Mumford)
    Ottawa
    Quebec
    Hamilton
    St Louis
    Baltimore
    Nashville/Phoenix
    San Diego
    NYC 1 (Williams)
    Denver
    Oakland 1
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
  • Options
    @jjflash

• Options
    Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound UK Posts: 338
    edited August 2020
    1. Phoenix 8/10
    2. Nashville 7.5/10
    3. Quebec 7/10
    4. San Diego 7/10

5. OKC 5/10
    6. NYC1 (Williams) 5/10
    7. Toronto 4/10
    8. Baltimore 3/10
    9. St Louis 3/10

10. Hamilton 2/10
    11. Ottawa 2/10
    12. NYC2 (Mumford) 1.5/10
    13. Denver 1/10
    14. Oakland 1/10
    Post edited by Planet of Sound on
  • Options
    cardosocardoso Porto Alegre-BR Posts: 1,461
    STL
    NYC - Ian
    BALTIMORE
    OKC
    NYC - Dan
    First: Porto Alegre, Brasil 28.11.2005 ........... Next:  St. Paul 2, USA 02.09.2023
  • Options
    KUHL2009KUHL2009 Posts: 28
    Tier 1:
    1. Quebec
    2. Ottawa
    3. Williams NYC

Tier 2:
    4. Toronto
    5. St. Louis
    6. OKC
    7. Mumford New York

Tier 3:
    8. Denver
    9. Nashville
    10. Phoenix
    11. Hamilton
    12. Baltimore
    13. San Diego
    14. Oakland

• Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 700
    Ottawa
    Toronto 
    OKC
    Hamilton
    NYC Mumford
    Phoenix 
    Nashville
    Quebec
    Baltimore
    Denver
    St. Louis
    Oakland
    NYC Williams 
    San Diego 

Lots of close choices in there for sure and some that may flip spots in time or after seeing them in person.  Overall a strong poster year and strong showing by old and new artists.
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    So the poster you bought or were gonna buy doesn't commemorate the great time you had in that city, or conjure memories of the setlist for a show that became an instant classic. Even moreso than normal tour posters, one might argue, the 2020 posters are artwork: capsules of strange days and what might have been. There are some great looking posters from this "tour". Do you agree? How would you rank 'em? How does your list compare with the best sellers? Does Ames' Baltimore design hint of a full album performance of Gigaton? Would Sperry's have topped them all? Ok, I'll start....

1. San Diego
    2. Ottawa
    3. Quebec City
    4. NYC 1 (Williams)
    5. St. Louis
    6. Baltimore
    7. NYC 2 (Mumford)
    8. Toronto
    9. Nashville
    10. Hamilton
    11. Phoenix
    12. Oklahoma City
    13. Denver
    14. Oakland 1
    Don't sleep on the Oakland poster based on a lo res image
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    Lol
  • Options
    rbandhbrbandhb Kansas City Posts: 102
    1- San Diego 
    2- PHX
    3- OKC 
    4- Nashville
    5-,Mumford MSG 
    6- Baltimore Ames

always so tough to tell without seeing them in person. 

Also looking for a St Louis as we were going to that show if anyone has one they’d part with/regret buying etc. 
    Bonner Springs 2000
    Bonner Springs 2003
    Council Bluffs 2003
    Kansas City 2010
    Atlanta Music Midtown 2012
    Wrigley Field 2013
    Seattle 2013
    St Louis 2014
    Tulsa 2014
    Lincoln 2014
    MSG 1 2016
    MSG 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    Seattle 2 2018
    Missoula 2018
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    My favorites
    Baltimore
    NYC-Mumford MSG
    Hamilton
    Toronto
    NYC-Williams Apollo (Didn't care for this at first but I am coming around to it. Glad I snagged one after all!)
    Don't care for the rest.

A friend of mine suggested that Baltimore could be improved if it said Pearl Jam in large letters at the very top and the subheader was The Fabulous Gigaton Experience. I agree.

• Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,085
    Oklahoma 
    St Louis
    Hamilton
    Ottawa
    Baltimore
    MSG
    Apollo
    ———
    Toronto
    Phoenix
    Nashville
    ———
    Denver
    Quebec
    San Diego
    Oakland
  • Options
    Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Ottawa
    Baltimore
    OKC
    STL
    PHX
    Nashville
    Toronto
    Quebec
    Oakland
    MSG
    Hamilton
    San Diego
    Denver
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    To critique art by artists way better than me....

1. Quebec
    2. Ottawa
    3.  OKC

and then everything else.  So far i’ve only purchased Baltimore. 
  • Options
    Duly noted :sunglasses: Looking forward to seeing it....lotta visuals happening in it!
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    New York - Mumford
    Ottawa
    Toronto
    Nashville
    OKC

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,951
    jjflash said:
    14. Oakland 1

Got a high res image? 
  • Options
    fl247556fl247556 Posts: 272
    Oklahoma 
    Phoenix
    Baltimore
    St Louis
    Ottawa
    Toronto
    Quebec
    MSG Apollo
    Nashville
    Hamilton
    Denver
    San Diego
    Oakland
    freddie vedder
  • Options
    paylingpayling Seattle Posts: 302
    jjflash said:

1. San Diego
    2. Ottawa
    3. Quebec City
    4. NYC 1 (Williams)
    5. St. Louis
    6. Baltimore
    7. NYC 2 (Mumford)
    8. Toronto
    9. Nashville
    10. Hamilton
    11. Phoenix
    12. Oklahoma City
    13. Denver
    14. Oakland 1
    Yes! 
    PA
  • Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    1. OKC
    2+:  take your pick
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 912
    OKC is awesome.  Had tix, would've buy in a second if I didn't make the agreement w/the wife of no posters to shows I don't attend.  house is running out of wall space.  Had Denver tix as well.  Not getting a lot of love on the board.  Stiff competition this year for sure.