Options

Video Stream From The Vault

13»

Comments

• Options
    RobZ said:
    Half the country out of work and they're charging admission for a stream.  Booooooo I say....
    Are you saying, “Booooooo” or
    “Boooooo-urns?”
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited August 2020
    igotid88 said:
    I don't understand why people in here are japping about them charging for this like they're Gene Simmons or something.

I haven't seen any of you complaining that they didn't let you download their boots off nugs for free because "pandemic" or "people are struggling now so Pearl Jam should also struggle and not make money". So why would they with a "video boot".

This is a band that is on the nicer and liberal end of the spectrum when it comes to fans using their stuff and putting up stuff on youtube or sharing between eachother - whether it is video-boots with Pearl Jams official bootleg audio on it or whatever.

They are very liberal - even so much so that this very show already exist on youtube with the offical audio on it, if I'm not mistaken.

So, yes Metallica is releasing shows for free on youtube and hoping you donate for a good cause. Pearl Jam is instead doing it through nugs (who want a cut of every stream I would imagine). Just because Metallica was doing it for free, and some bands jumped on that model doesn't mean one is greedy for not suddenly doing the same.

I DON'T WANT TO BE CALLED NO GOD DAMN SHEEP - BUT I'M STICKING UP FOR MY FAVORITE BAND HERE.
    And you're usually negative towards the band 
    Naw, I find myself calling the shots fairly as they come. One advantage of not having ones own head up ones own fandom's ass. 

I think my criticism is fair when decisions should be criticized. And the other way around.

Demanding Pearl Jam should stream video for free (didn't they just stream Lollapalooza 2018 free btw?) just because Phish and Metallica does it, doesn't sit right with me. Like there suddenly being rules about how artists have to act and behave during a pandemic? 

If you guys should be mad at something - it should be that Pearl Jam doesn't do an acoustic show - free or not - in front of a chicken coop.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    1. Is it in black and white or in full colour all the way through?

2. Is it edited for this stream/release - or is it just a recording of the screens from the real time editing at the show?

@Santos L. Halper
    @Santos L. Halper @rubysdad @Kelly Curtis
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I don't understand why people in here are japping about them charging for this like they're Gene Simmons or something.

I haven't seen any of you complaining that they didn't let you download their boots off nugs for free because "pandemic" or "people are struggling now so Pearl Jam should also struggle and not make money". So why would they with a "video boot".

This is a band that is on the nicer and liberal end of the spectrum when it comes to fans using their stuff and putting up stuff on youtube or sharing between eachother - whether it is video-boots with Pearl Jams official bootleg audio on it or whatever.

They are very liberal - even so much so that this very show already exist on youtube with the offical audio on it, if I'm not mistaken.

So, yes Metallica is releasing shows for free on youtube and hoping you donate for a good cause. Pearl Jam is instead doing it through nugs (who want a cut of every stream I would imagine). Just because Metallica was doing it for free, and some bands jumped on that model doesn't mean one is greedy for not suddenly doing the same.

I DON'T WANT TO BE CALLED NO GOD DAMN SHEEP - BUT I'M STICKING UP FOR MY FAVORITE BAND HERE.
    Naw, I find myself calling the shots fairly as they come. One advantage of not having ones own head up ones own fandom's ass. 

I think my criticism is fair when decisions should be criticized. And the other way around.

Demanding Pearl Jam should stream video for free (didn't they just stream Lollapalooza 2018 free btw?) just because Phish and Metallica does it, doesn't sit right with me. Like there suddenly being rules about how artists have to act and behave during a pandemic? 

If you guys should be mad at something - it should be that Pearl Jam doesn't do an acoustic show - free or not - in front of a chicken coop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No one "demanded" anything.

A few people simply stated that many other musicians have been doing this for awhile.  Then some people said maybe nugs wants a cut, and people pointed out that nugs has done it as a free service.

I watched the 20th free phish show streamed using nugs platform last night.  They've been doing it for 20 weeks in a row.

It really makes you realize how long this has been going on, and it's a reminder how long ago PJ tour was postponed, and how fucked everything still is.

Pearl Jam doesn't owe us anything (except the singles, right SC?).
    We can comment or complain or compare what other musicians are doing.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    NewJPage said:
    I'm big on wording and semantics, but are we really thinking this is a substitute for a vinyl because they used the word "vault"?

As a younger GD fan (40) who never got to see them, they had their view from the vault videos that I rented from blockbuster on VHS in high school.  I think of the vault as the archives, but obviously with Pearl jam, they do have a Vault Vinyl series.  I have a few as a record collector for 25 years.

It just never occurred to me until reading this thread that one had anything to do with the other.
    To put it in perspective, since Vinyl Vault #6, the new vault is usually announced in the August Newsletter. The only reason I know this is because My birthday is August 29th, and for the last 3 years when people ask me what I want for my birthday, I always tell them money for the PJ vault. 

There has been absolutely no word from anyone about a vault on Vinyl for this year, and with the "vault" wording it just makes it seem like this will be it. I personally wouldn't mind a CD or even a Cassette vault, just to be different for a year. Although im sure most people want the vinyl.
    If this years "vault" is something I have to watch during a limited 3 day window and the it disappears (until they likely try to sell it to me later) I will not be happy.
    oh yeah, you know there will be a DVD sold at a later time.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    kingmattkingmatt Posts: 121
    Hmmmmm.... no.

I would pay money to watch the boys sit around in lawn chairs but not this. Just seems like a mis-fire to me.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,022
    Check your 10club email ...

We realized there was a technical issue with some of the Nugs.net Ten Club Member Codes.

Below is a New Code for you to use!
  • Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 410
    Are we sure that this event will be available in Europe. I have a subscription for nugs but can’t see the „normal“ PJ-Videos (Garden, Showbox etc). The Metallica videos works fine for me. Are PJ-Videos blocked in Europe (Germany) or am I missing something?
  • Options
    SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 713
    I really wish we could get confirmation that this is or is not our vault release for the year. I would be a lot more stoked about this stream if we knew a vault vinyl was around the corner. Like London Ontario 2013. 😁
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    20 bucks a year gets me access to Neil Youngs entire catalog..weekly access to new concert films...videos of Neil playing mini concerts at his home that I can access at any time.  $10 for a stadium show I can watch for one weekend .... :ohstop:
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    edited August 2020
    igotid88 said:

I feel you usually come to your own conclusions sometimes. About what the band is doing or supposed to do? It's okay to ask questions
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PorchRatsPorchRats Albany, NY Posts: 164
    Shame on you Pearl Jam... charging for this while 10’s of millions out of work and the pandemic still raging... 🖕🏻
    2000: Saratoga
    2003: Albany, Hartford, Camden 1+2,
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston 2,
    2008: Mansfield,
    2010 MSG 1+2,
    2011: Alpine Valley 1+2
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn 1+2, Philly 1+2, Hartford
  • Options
    rlm2145rlm2145 Posts: 68
    Yeah they can fuck right off with charging for this ("a portion of proceeds" is not satisfactory). 

I'm watching the free stream now and just gave $35 to the LA Food Bank 

Man they do NOT make it easy sometimes.

I still remember sending an email a couple years ago essentially saying "As best I can tell over the last 365 days, my 10C membership has only gotten me emails asking me to buy more t-shirts. I've been a paying member since '98, what exactly did I pay for? Maybe you can give me this year back?" No answer. Not surprised. (And yes I'm still a member)
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,939
    You don't have to like everything the band does, but you do have to be respectful when you disagree. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here

Please see the Posting Guidelines.

This discussion has been closed.