Video Stream From The Vault

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Metallica, Phish, DMB, Dead and Co, Grateful Dead are all doing weekly free shows with donation links.

Pearl Jam finally steps up to the plate and they are charging. Why is this band so backwards when it comes to fan engagement?
    Donations means you still pay. Unless you don't donate.
    I miss igotid88
    I remember people here saying they would pay a monthly fee or something similar to get video streams. 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    Metallica, Phish, DMB, Dead and Co, Grateful Dead are all doing weekly free shows with donation links.

Pearl Jam finally steps up to the plate and they are charging. Why is this band so backwards when it comes to fan engagement?
    Yes, I understand that. We are currently in a global pandemic where many people have lost their jobs however and they may not be in a financial situation where they can afford to do so

. Other bands are able to do it, why can't Pearl Jam? Why are they always so behind?
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 556
    js87130 said:
    “First time playing at home in Seattle in almost a decade?” What about the Key Arena show in 2013? I swear I was there. That happened, right?
    Very excited for this, but yeah, what? Strange.
    Either donate or don’t, not sure why that matters. Bands can do what they want. Is there a line? Why not just make all their output free with optional ‘donation’? Buy it or don’t, babies.
    igotid88 said:

Exactly
  • Clutch just did a live stream where they let the fans pick the songs. 4,000 die hard fans had a say in that. All free. Played songs they havent played in 23 years. 
  • I don't understand why people in here are japping about them charging for this like they're Gene Simmons or something.

I haven't seen any of you complaining that they didn't let you download their boots off nugs for free because "pandemic" or "people are struggling now so Pearl Jam should also struggle and not make money". So why would they with a "video boot".

This is a band that is on the nicer and liberal end of the spectrum when it comes to fans using their stuff and putting up stuff on youtube or sharing between eachother - whether it is video-boots with Pearl Jams official bootleg audio on it or whatever.

They are very liberal - even so much so that this very show already exist on youtube with the offical audio on it, if I'm not mistaken.

So, yes Metallica is releasing shows for free on youtube and hoping you donate for a good cause. Pearl Jam is instead doing it through nugs (who want a cut of every stream I would imagine). Just because Metallica was doing it for free, and some bands jumped on that model doesn't mean one is greedy for not suddenly doing the same.

I DON'T WANT TO BE CALLED NO GOD DAMN SHEEP - BUT I'M STICKING UP FOR MY FAVORITE BAND HERE.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I don't understand why people in here are japping about them charging for this like they're Gene Simmons or something.

I haven't seen any of you complaining that they didn't let you download their boots off nugs for free because "pandemic" or "people are struggling now so Pearl Jam should also struggle and not make money". So why would they with a "video boot".

This is a band that is on the nicer and liberal end of the spectrum when it comes to fans using their stuff and putting up stuff on youtube or sharing between eachother - whether it is video-boots with Pearl Jams official bootleg audio on it or whatever.

They are very liberal - even so much so that this very show already exist on youtube with the offical audio on it, if I'm not mistaken.

So, yes Metallica is releasing shows for free on youtube and hoping you donate for a good cause. Pearl Jam is instead doing it through nugs (who want a cut of every stream I would imagine). Just because Metallica was doing it for free, and some bands jumped on that model doesn't mean one is greedy for not suddenly doing the same.

I DON'T WANT TO BE CALLED NO GOD DAMN SHEEP - BUT I'M STICKING UP FOR MY FAVORITE BAND HERE.
    I get it. I paid to watch a live Electric Six gig a couple of weeks ago (they put on a pandemic show and sent the video and audio of it afterwards for us to keep - a superb idea) and a Mick Flannery gig and a couple of others during the pandemic. I'm all good with paying to support artists and paying for good artistic content.
    What I find difficult about this is we're paying for content that is already out there. The band aren't doing anything new. If they were doing a live gig and giving the proceeds to charity or their crew, I'd be all over paying for it, and paying more than €10 for it. This just feels like an easy and frankly lazy way to make some money. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

Pearl Jam Prep Pay-Per-View of 2018 Seattle Show

Nugs.net stream features 33-song set with numerous covers, Brandi Carlile guest spot

Pearl Jam will document a hometown concert from their 2018 tour in an upcoming pay-per-view broadcast.

The band’s August 8th performance at Seattle’s Safeco Field — the first of two sold-out gigs billed as “The Home Shows” — will be available to view via Nugs.net throughout Labor Day weekend, starting September 4th at 8 p.m. ET. The general public can access the recording for $14.99, and Pearl Jam’s “Ten Club” members will receive special pricing. 

The 33-song, career-spanning set featured numerous covers (Neil Young’s “Throw Your Hatred Down” and “Rockin’ in the Free World,” the Beatles’ “I’ve Got a Feeling,” the White Stripes’ “We’re Going to Be Friends,” Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb” and Little Steven’s “I Am a Patriot”) and a guest spot from Brandi Carlile on her song “Again Today.” 

“We’ve worked with Pearl Jam for 20 years, and while we miss seeing them on stage, the archive of more than 400 performances dating all the way back to 1993 has helped fans fill the void,” Nugs founder and CEO Brad Serling said in a statement. “Streaming this incredible 2018 show from their hometown of Seattle is a ray of sunshine for these times.”

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2020
    1. Is it in black and white or in full colour all the way through?

2. Is it edited for this stream/release - or is it just a recording of the screens from the real time editing at the show?

@Santos L. Halper
    @Rubysdad  
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

You're wrong about NUGS.NET needing a cut. Nugs.net started LivePhish in 2002.  Brad started it as a way for Phish to let their fans get every live show hours after it was played.

Lots of bands use nugs now.  I *think* Phish was first, hence their LivePhish platform.

They encourage donations from their FREE stream tonight.  They'll probably have t-shirts with proceeds going to charity, but you don't have to pay to watch, and you don't have to buy anything.  You won't get shamed for not contributing.

If you're able and can, you donate.  If you can't or don't want to, you don't.

If Pearl Jam wants to charge, that's their business, but don't blame nugs.net or act like fans just want free stuff.  We can watch this and lots of other stuff on youtube.

The point is simply that many other bands have been doing this every week for several months for free.  Nothing is stopping Pearl Jam.  Just like nothing is stopping them from the missing Ten Club singles you complain about.

Tonight is the 20th week Phish has done their free webcast Dinner and a Movie since the pandemic.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972

Nathaniel Rateliff is doing one tonight!  
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    I care less about them charging $10 for a show and more about the lack of variety. Why not upload night 2 or something from the 2018 tour? I'd gladly pay $10 to watch the footage of a show that I attended and haven't seen before. A good amount of the folks who attended the Home Shows attended the replay at MOPOP the next day and have, therefore, already seen it. From a sheer business perspective if the goal is to make/raise money, why not show a completely different concert? I'm guessing they'd make a whole lot more if they gave us a gig we hadn't seen the footage of before. I'm sure there are reasons (probably that they don't store the footage) but just thinking out loud here.
  • The vault releases have become my favorite thing the band has done over the last decade. More often than not the shows have been awesome. I hope this isn’t a substitute for the normal vault release this year due to vinyl production issues.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The vault releases have become my favorite thing the band has done over the last decade. More often than not the shows have been awesome. I hope this isn’t a substitute for the normal vault release this year due to vinyl production issues.
    Totally agree, I absolutely love the vault releases on vinyl.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • I'm big on wording and semantics, but are we really thinking this is a substitute for a vinyl because they used the word "vault"?

As a younger GD fan (40) who never got to see them, they had their view from the vault videos that I rented from blockbuster on VHS in high school.  I think of the vault as the archives, but obviously with Pearl jam, they do have a Vault Vinyl series.  I have a few as a record collector for 25 years.

It just never occurred to me until reading this thread that one had anything to do with the other.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

I don't understand why people in here are japping about them charging for this like they're Gene Simmons or something.

And you're usually negative towards the band 
    I miss igotid88
  • I'm big on wording and semantics, but are we really thinking this is a substitute for a vinyl because they used the word "vault"?

As a younger GD fan (40) who never got to see them, they had their view from the vault videos that I rented from blockbuster on VHS in high school.  I think of the vault as the archives, but obviously with Pearl jam, they do have a Vault Vinyl series.  I have a few as a record collector for 25 years.

It just never occurred to me until reading this thread that one had anything to do with the other.
    To put it in perspective, since Vinyl Vault #6, the new vault is usually announced in the August Newsletter. The only reason I know this is because My birthday is August 29th, and for the last 3 years when people ask me what I want for my birthday, I always tell them money for the PJ vault. 

There has been absolutely no word from anyone about a vault on Vinyl for this year, and with the "vault" wording it just makes it seem like this will be it. I personally wouldn't mind a CD or even a Cassette vault, just to be different for a year. Although im sure most people want the vinyl.
  • ryanphishesryanphishes Posts: 586
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, I was expecting it too, but it's possible it could be next month or later in the year due to covid or other reasons.

Other vinyl is being pressed, just like posters are still coming out.  I'm not saying the band is hurting for money or anything, but I'm sure they do want to keep the merch wheel spinning.  The pandemic has slowed a lot of things, but there's not really a reason to not do the vinyl at all this year.

Cue the complaints about the singles and the info about that record production facility burning down, but like I said, records keep coming out each week.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Thinking this will take the place of the vinyl vault this year didn't even occur to me. Damn, I hope not. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Where is the code? It says for 10C members to click elsewhere and then it wants a code that we redeem. Did I miss an email? 
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • moses562 said:
    Where is the code? It says for 10C members to click elsewhere and then it wants a code that we redeem. Did I miss an email? 
    Your code was in the newsletter.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    moses562 said:
    Your code was in the newsletter.
    Well that’s what I get for browsing it this month. Thanks! 
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,642
    edited August 2020
    marcos said:
    Does anyone know if this Nugs TV is compatible with Apple Air Play, or do they have an app so that it can be viewed on a TV? 
    I have the Nugs app on my AppleTV.  AirPlay should work fine too.

https://help.nugs.net/support/solutions/articles/6000064117-which-devices-are-compatible-with-the-pay-per-view-to-watch-on-my-tv-
    Post edited by mvw on
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    i would gladly pay and watch if *all* the money was going to a designated charity/charities, not just some nebulous “portion of the proceeds”. but as others have mentioned, numerous other bands have set the bar much higher than what pearl jam is attempting here, some of them on the nugs platform even, making this show stream a pretty disappointing announcement all around, imo.
    AndySlash said:
    i would gladly pay and watch if *all* the money was going to a designated charity/charities, not just some nebulous “portion of the proceeds”. but as others have mentioned, numerous other bands have set the bar much higher than what pearl jam is attempting here, some of them on the nugs platform even, making this show stream a pretty disappointing announcement all around, imo.
    I think the other portion goes to employees as well.
    I miss igotid88
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    I'm big on wording and semantics, but are we really thinking this is a substitute for a vinyl because they used the word "vault"?

To put it in perspective, since Vinyl Vault #6, the new vault is usually announced in the August Newsletter. The only reason I know this is because My birthday is August 29th, and for the last 3 years when people ask me what I want for my birthday, I always tell them money for the PJ vault. 

There has been absolutely no word from anyone about a vault on Vinyl for this year, and with the "vault" wording it just makes it seem like this will be it. I personally wouldn't mind a CD or even a Cassette vault, just to be different for a year. Although im sure most people want the vinyl.
    If this years "vault" is something I have to watch during a limited 3 day window and the it disappears (until they likely try to sell it to me later) I will not be happy.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
This discussion has been closed.