Options

Name 3 cool things going on right now?

West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
edited July 2020 in All Encompassing Trip
I think it's a good idea to remind ourselves about the positive aspects of life, so I'd like you to list 3 cool things which are going on right now (as it may not always be the case)?
Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020
    1. My parents are still here
    2. There's no more washing up
    3. I left fb, rewarded myself with ten club membership and never looked back cos you're all great :)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    I am #1 on Dankinds Asshole list, friends and family that I can rely on, live near a beach.

I'm easy to please.
  • Options
    Yeah I think I saw the list, I like the last 2!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think there are only two thus far?  I just managed to elude that inclusion.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,689
    I have to tell you, one thing not on my list is where I live- El Dorado County, California.  I'm considering petitioning to have it renamed either "Hell Dorado County" or simply "Burnt County".  :smiley:

But cool as in far out, groovy, righteous, gnarly, cherry, bitchin', neeto, boss, rad, and awesome:

1. A Ben Webster record I had forgotten all about that I listened to last night called Soulville.
    2.  I managed to get to Ikea and purchase a Kallax shelf for my LP's (big YAY!)
    3.  The book I'm reading is way cool, Nat Hentoff's Listen to the Stories.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    hedonist said:

That list is waaaaay incomplete at only 2.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:

Fine, Parrotman!  (Cockatielman?)

- I do not have pancreatic cancer (a very real fear two weeks ago).
    - I'm re-starting physical therapy in a couple of weeks and am so looking forward to regaining my strength and having that positive, productive sense again.

AND BONUS!!!  I am soon to hit double-nickel territory; wasn't sure I'd make it for a while there :)

Lots more but I needed a nudge, so thank you for getting that out of me, Poncier.  It helped in ways.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,473
    1. Yesterday, my step-dad made it off the table after cardiac arrest and has signs of brain function.
    2. My sister moved back and saw her sons again. I found her a lakeview home, furnished it. She hasn't died of substance dependency yet.
    3. I'm enjoying the outdoors and camping again in a few days.
  • Options
    @brianlux I just googled where you live, looks hellish:

Good news about the Ikea Kallix, we have the Expident, in fact I need to go to IKEA soon... I just find the prospect of walking round a windowless maze daunting. It'd be better if they could do collection only like Argos.

Great news @hedonist and @tish
  • Options

Good news about the Ikea Kallix, we have the Expident, in fact I need to go to IKEA soon... I just find the prospect of walking round a windowless maze daunting. It'd be better if they could do collection only like Argos.

Ah, beautiful Lake Tahoe!  It really is quite a lovely place!  But if you come to visit, avoid summers- way too many crowds, and Winter- same thing only skiers and mucky roads.  Late fall and  mid to late spring are the best times. 

But here's the deal with El Dorado County.  First, a map:
    El Dorado Hills California - Wikipedia
    Tahoe is located near that grey patch in the far right side of the left hand map.  There are also some marvelous high country surrounding Tahoe.  But most of the inhabited parts of the county are in the lower foothills on the mid to far left side of the county map and none of it looks anything like Tahoe. 

Here's why I (sort of) jokingly call it "Hell Dorado County":

-Summers are brutal- long and dry.  Normal dry spells run at least 3 months and I've seen five months running here with no rain.
    -Water can be a real issue here and in prolonged drought, and if you live outside on of the city limits, the county can basically confiscate your well. 
    -The political climate here is great... if you are a die-hard republican, don't believe in climate change, and are not too worried if someone discovers you hate people of color.
    -The county seat of Placerville, which is near where I live, has the nickname "Hangtown" and hangman's nooses are seen on street signs, city building signs and many businesses.  Many people here are proud of the violent nature of the gold rush days (not to mention the genocide of the indigenous peoples in the 1800's).  Some  examples:
    Placerville CA - Hanged Dummy at Hangmans TreeMDE_2788 eW

-Because we are east of several major metropolitan areas and the prevailing winds blow our way, our air quality is often quite poor, at times matching or is even worse than Los Angles' several time a year.

-And last but not least, wild fire danger is very high to extreme from mid June through September and sometime into early November. 
    Here's what the 97,000 acre King Fire in El Dorado County look like in 2014:
    King Fire may put UC research forest to the test - ANR news

And here's a satellite view of the Paradise Camp fire which happened in November of 2018 (different county to the north of here but same elevation, terrain, climate, etc.) What you see is about 153,000 acres on fire.  The same thing could happen here:
    Camp Fire 2018 - Wikipedia

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited July 2020
    brianlux said:

Ah, beautiful Lake Tahoe!  It really is quite a lovely place!  But if you come to visit, avoid summers- way too many crowds, and Winter- same thing only skiers and mucky roads.  Late fall and  mid to late spring are the best times. 

Tahoe is located near that grey patch in the far right side of the left hand map.  There are also some marvelous high country surrounding Tahoe.  But most of the inhabited parts of the county are in the lower foothills on the mid to far left side of the county map and none of it looks anything like Tahoe. 

-Summers are brutal- long and dry.  Normal dry spells run at least 3 months and I've seen five months running here with no rain.
    -Water can be a real issue here and in prolonged drought, and if you live outside on of the city limits, the county can basically confiscate your well. 
    -The political climate here is great... if you are a die-hard republican, don't believe in climate change, and are not too worried if someone discovers you hate people of color.
    -The county seat of Placerville, which is near where I live, has the nickname "Hangtown" and hangman's nooses are seen on street signs, city building signs and many businesses.  Many people here are proud of the violent nature of the gold rush days (not to mention the genocide of the indigenous peoples in the 1800's).  Some  examples:

-Because we are east of several major metropolitan areas and the prevailing winds blow our way, our air quality is often quite poor, at times matching or is even worse than Los Angles' several time a year.

-And last but not least, wild fire danger is very high to extreme from mid June through September and sometime into early November. 

And here's a satellite view of the Paradise Camp fire which happened in November of 2018 (different county to the north of here but same elevation, terrain, climate, etc.) What you see is about 153,000 acres on fire.  The same thing could happen here:

Thank you @brianlux I can tell you really have thought about this.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:

- I'm re-starting physical therapy in a couple of weeks and am so looking forward to regaining my strength and having that positive, productive sense again.

AND BONUS!!!  I am soon to hit double-nickel territory; wasn't sure I'd make it for a while there :)

Lots more but I needed a nudge, so thank you for getting that out of me, Poncier.  It helped in ways.
    Ha! I was referring tongue in cheek to Dan's A-hole list being too small at only 2 members, not the list of replies to this topic.

But quite glad to hear #1 on your list. Stay well.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Yeah, but too much complaining and I feel bad about that.  This is the cool thread and complaining is not cool!  I wish I hadn't posted any of that.  Sorry!

• Options
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:

Ha! I was referring tongue in cheek to Dan's A-hole list being too small at only 2 members, not the list of replies to this topic.

Oh :blush:

As to the A-holes, only DK knows...

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    hedonist said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:

Is that Maynard or Paul Schaefer?
  • Options

Yeah, but too much complaining and I feel bad about that.  This is the cool thread and complaining is not cool!  I wish I hadn't posted any of that.  Sorry!
    Don't be silly I love your posts as they're very funny educational, informative and entertaining. I didnt have time to reply properly earlier as I was working. Finally finished work now and I have 3 days completely off not just work but running errands for other people.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Don't be silly I love your posts as they're very funny educational, informative and entertaining. I didnt have time to reply properly earlier as I was working. Finally finished work now and I have 3 days completely off not just work but running errands for other people.

Three days off from work and errands!  I think that qualifies as very cool:smile:

• Options
    hedonist said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:

Is that Maynard or Paul Schaefer?
    Or possibly Pitbull?
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841
    hedonist said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:

So happy that your cancer scare was just a scare. I lost my brother-in-law to pancreatic cancer in 2018. It's a beast. Stay well, my friend.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    1. My parents are still here
    2. There's no more washing up
    3. I left fb, rewarded myself with ten club membership and never looked back cos you're all great :)
    Can you still have messanger even if you leave fb?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Yes, I had to deactivate rather than delete my account (disappointing) but I've kept my contacts ♡♡♡♡♡
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    Poncier said:
    hedonist said:

So happy that your cancer scare was just a scare. I lost my brother-in-law to pancreatic cancer in 2018. It's a beast. Stay well, my friend.

Oh man, I am so sorry.  And thank you!

tempo, Paul Shaffer?  Sacre bleu!

That is indeed the one, the only, Maynard.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I somehow managed to graduate (in June) from Massage Therapy & Functional Bodywork school (3rd career change/20 years) despite the Covid.

I dodged a bullet from buying a POS massage table today.

I got my hair cut and highlighted today for the first time since November and I'm feeling special!! :smiley:  :s
  • Options
    Oh yeah and I'm taking the MBLEX on Monday.

It's terrifying but it is the equivalent of 3 positives. 

Positive Positive.

• Options
    Oh yeah and I'm taking the MBLEX on Monday.

It's terrifying but it is the equivalent of 3 positives. 

Positive Positive. (Positive)?

• Options
    I somehow managed to graduate (in June) from Massage Therapy & Functional Bodywork school (3rd career change/20 years) despite the Covid.

I got my hair cut and highlighted today for the first time since November and I'm feeling special!! :smiley:  :s
    Congratulations!

My hair guy and his assistant offered to come to my home since salons here are closed again. I may take him up on it...for a cut, anyway. 
  • Options
    Thank you! 

Ooo that would be nice, I wish mine could have come to me!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841

Congrats on your graduation. That is exciting :clap: . I am getting my hair cut at the end of the month. Can't wait. Hopefully, things will still be good here, and the salons will still be open.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Here's something very cool that will be going on in a little less than three hours.  Steve Wynn's Friday afternoon Medicine Show (which frequently features his wife, Linda Pitmon, on percussion and backing vocals)  is always a highlight of my week!

Edit:  ^^^That's one cool thing. 

Here's the other two:
    2.  Dreamgirl's "Name 3 cool things" thread is way cool!
    3.  Dreamgirl is waa-ay cool!
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I like the poster @brianlux but this thread is called 3 cool things, not one thing, so you kinda need to add 2 more cool things to you post please? I'm sure you can think of something... I might post again too.
    I'm thinking of cancelling my haircut @glowgirl as it's much longer now and they usually always cut too much off. One of my hairdressers is really cashing in and not even offering wet cuts (so it costs double).