Options

I'm going through all Pearl Jam albums in order!

Comments

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Listening to Backspacer now. I don't know how Brendan O'Brien is recording/producing vocals... but he is doing it wrong.
    What's the verdict? You can't break my heart with this ranking/review, because it is my least favorite. 
    JPPJ84 said:
    Listening to Backspacer now. I don't know how Brendan O'Brien is recording/producing vocals... but he is doing it wrong.
    What's the verdict? You can't break my heart with this ranking/review, because it is my least favorite. 
    Ha, same

BACKSPACER (2009). Fans use to talk about the brickwalled production of the album released before this one - but I find Backspacer to be even more harsch sounding. And Eddie sounds like he has an even worse cold. Especially on Just Breathe. Why does every string being plucked on that song have to attack my ears? It should have sounded like it belonged on Neil Young’s warm and pleasant Harvest Moon - not Metallica’s Death Magnetic. Other songs sound overproduced - I have never noticed or been irked by added piano parts like on this album. And the doubling of Eddies vocals on Speed of Sound just sounds off. No need to overproduce the song when the demo sounded great. Backspacer was and is to me a disappointing album, mostly due to the production but also in how uninspired some of the songs come off. Sure - some of them really grow live (Got Some, Just Breathe and Unthought Known) but yeah...
    The End, Just Breathe and Unthought Known are 4 star songs for me. Don’t care about the rest. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited August 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Ha, same

BACKSPACER (2009). Fans use to talk about the brickwalled production of the album released before this one - but I find Backspacer to be even more harsch sounding. And Eddie sounds like he has an even worse cold. Especially on Just Breathe. Why does every string being plucked on that song have to attack my ears? It should have sounded like it belonged on Neil Young’s warm and pleasant Harvest Moon - not Metallica’s Death Magnetic. Other songs sound overproduced - I have never noticed or been irked by added piano parts like on this album. And the doubling of Eddies vocals on Speed of Sound just sounds off. No need to overproduce the song when the demo sounded great. Backspacer was and is to me a disappointing album, mostly due to the production but also in how uninspired some of the songs come off. Sure - some of them really grow live (Got Some, Just Breathe and Unthought Known) but yeah...
    The End, Just Breathe and Unthought Known are 4 star songs for me. Don’t care about the rest. 
    The End I always found to be "generic" and "manipulative" in it's easiness. Even more so by the theatrics going on in how Eddie sings the song that feels too played up for me. Makes it hard to listen to. It sounds like he sings it in character in a musical.

When the album came out I loved Unthought Known, Got Some (so glad that one came out early to balance out The Fixer) and Just Breathe. This time around, returning to the album I felt like Got Some is a great song but it sounds like the lyrics are temporary "scat vocals" at places and Unthought Known is less explosive than I thought. I think with both Got Some and Unthought Known it has to do with me being so used to the live versions. And missing that omph and "life" in the studio versions.

With Just Breathe - just compare the quality of the live version (that they pushed as the music video) and the studio version. A lot less Death Magnetic-harshness, random loudly mixed instruments sounding like synth samples (the organ) or "NOW YOU WILL FEEL THINGS"-forced like the violins and less "lead singer being forced to sing with influenza" on the live version. But the song is great. Obviously now one of their classics. And to think, people back then wrote it off as a lazy Into the Wild re-write.

https://youtu.be/_7ioE4wRil8

https://youtu.be/XTb9GNIxpMk

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tbh I don’t just go by the studio version when it comes to ranking or rating songs. If I did that I‘d find Given to fly or Light Years a bit boring. But knowing live versions they are two of my favorites.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Hold up, one star for the Fixer?  
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Hold up, one star for the Fixer?  
    Too much? ;)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    one star for speed of sound?  come on!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    That Speed of Sound doesn't even exist. This is the only one that counts

https://youtu.be/2eEILQb36jo
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

This is 4 stars right here!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    mcgruff10 said:

Is the a demo?  I m really digging it!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Is the a demo?  I m really digging it!!
    Yeah, it was the award for beating that scavenger hunt before the album came out (if I remember it correctly). You hear how it doesn't have those unnecessary drums making the song sort of robotically "upbeat" and the plink-plonky piano?. No weird double vocals with two Eddies either. Good stuff. At the time I think I felt it sounded a bit to In to the wildy. After the first listen.

And guess what, the same thing was to happen on the follow up too.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    I'm missing the ratings for each song?
  • Options
    cutz said:
    Scroll up, they’re all there. 
  • Options
    cutz said:
    On the album star rating, click on the right arrow to see the song ratings
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    I think both sides start out promisingly - Gonna See My Friend, Got Some and Amongst The Waves, Unthought Known are strong enough songs.
    The demo of Speed of Sound was much better as everyone has already said, and I enjoyed Supersonic and The End live. 
    The Fixer and Johnny Guitar are just ok (but The Fixer definitely loses points for the video!) 

But I will never see the appeal of Force Of Nature. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    I think a different thread clearly and unequivocally proved that Johnny Guitar was better than Black.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    mcgruff10 said:

This is waaaaay better than the overproduced studio version. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    cutz said:
    On the album star rating, click on the right arrow to see the song ratings
    Thank You !
  • Options
    edited August 2020

LIGHTNING BOLT (2013).
    A return to form. Eddie hasn’t sounded this good since Riot Act - and neither has the production. The trend of ending the album with a generic sap song and ruining a great Eddie solo song (Speed of Sound on Backspacer, Sleeping By Myself here) with out-of-place drums and overproduction continues. Why did they decide to make a song about having to sleep alone weirdly uptempo? Why even include an already released Eddie song? There are some future Pearl Jam classics on here. My big gripe with the album though is that it sounds like a patchwork of different identities, atmospheres and production. It reminds me of a B-side collection or a soundtrack. It comes off less like an album with one identity and more like a collection of songs thrown together to get an album out.
  • Options
    I agree on most points here. Would give Infallible 4 stars and Pendulum five. I like Future Days so that’s three stars for me. 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    Getaway and Yellow Moon are my favourites on LB, so they would get a 5 for me. Sirens is a 3 at most, no more no less.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Yeah it’s probably sunk to my least favorite.  At least a couple of tracks on Backspacer make it in my top 50 (Unthought Known, Got Some), I can’t say the same for LB.  Sirens is great in the studio, but I have trouble with it performed live.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Yeah it’s probably sunk to my least favorite.  At least a couple of tracks on Backspacer make it in my top 50 (Unthought Known, Got Some), I can’t say the same for LB.  Sirens is great in the studio, but I have trouble with it performed live.
    Lightning Bolt live has turned into a real positive in the show.  I think they've done a great job with it,  especially the closing solo. 

I think Getaway is the best studio song on the record,  but the few times they have played it live has felt lifeless. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    goldrush said:
    I think both sides start out promisingly - Gonna See My Friend, Got Some and Amongst The Waves, Unthought Known are strong enough songs.
    The demo of Speed of Sound was much better as everyone has already said, and I enjoyed Supersonic and The End live. 
    The Fixer and Johnny Guitar are just ok (but The Fixer definitely loses points for the video!) 

But I will never see the appeal of Force Of Nature. 
    Agreed on FON...I've never seen the appeal.  Not a bad song...but average in my opinion
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Yellow Moon - least liked song since Avacado (Parachutes)

Last three songs could all get a single star.  

Always interesting to see where people land on Sirens and Yellow Moon as they rate this record.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Yellow moon is my fav track on the record, along with Pendulum, Swallowed Whole, and Getaway. 
  • Options

Always interesting to see where people land on Sirens and Yellow Moon as they rate this record.
    For me Sirens would be a 2 star...YM a 5...that's my favorite song on the album

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited August 2020

Oddly, or not, people tend to like one or the other but not both. (Although SC likes them both.)
  • Options

Oddly, or not, people tend to like one or the other but not both. (Although SC likes them both.)
    I think it is odd that some people put Sirens and Retrograde at the same rating.  I think Retro is a far superior song

• Options

I think it is odd that some people put Sirens and Retrograde at the same rating.  I think Retro is a far superior song

I'm on the opposite side of that one, but that is why it is interesting to hear from other fans.
  • Options

I'm on the opposite side of that one, but that is why it is interesting to hear from other fans.
    yep....I also put Cropduster up as a defining PJ song...to me it is just brilliant :)