Options

I'm going through all Pearl Jam albums in order!

Comments

• Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 924
    I think insignificance from the 2000 bootlegs is a monster of a song 
     I absolutely love it. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    Insignificance, Grievance, Light Years, NAIS, and Sad all belong near the top of the PJ catalogue 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023

RIOT ACT (2002)
    My personal favorite — but I understand if Eddie’s sleepy closed-mouth singing and the lack of teeth even in the heavier songs isn’t for everyone. But the album is magic with its warm, moody production. Maybe 1-2 songs should have been cut to make it perfect. The album was a disappointment sales wise but the tour following it could be the best one they’ve ever done.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    Riot Act ranks towards the bottom for me. There are songs here I really like, but most of the songs doesn’t grab me one way or the other. It is the album I am the most neutral towards in the entire PJ catalogue.

The show I attended that tour (Perth, AUS) was great. I remember being a tad annoyed with the seats, but after Roskilde it was of course understandable. I was in the front row, bringing a homeless guy I had met the same day in on my spare ticket. He had the time of his life, and was in tears during the encore for Throw Your Arms Around Me. 

I am gonna spin this record tonight. Been a while.. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Niko80 said:
    Riot Act ranks towards the bottom for me. There are songs here I really like, but most of the songs doesn’t grab me one way or the other. It is the album I am the most neutral towards in the entire PJ catalogue.

The show I attended that tour (Perth, AUS) was great. I remember being a tad annoyed with the seats, but after Roskilde it was of course understandable. I was in the front row, bringing a homeless guy I had met the same day in on my spare ticket. He had the time of his life, and was in tears during the encore for Throw Your Arms Around Me. 

why You were annoyed that you were in the front row?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I like the love for Riot Act.  Arc is one of my favorite tracks.  So if I were to rate it, it’s 5 stars just based on the euphoric feeling I get from it and also the tribute to the victims from Roskilde.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Niko80 said:

why You were annoyed that you were in the front row?
    I was young at the time, and I thought the chairs and barriers took away from the rock n roll atmosphere. 

Today, at 39, I would not complain for a millisecond😜
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Insignificance, Grievance, Light Years, NAIS, and Sad all belong near the top of the PJ catalogue 
    Yes but don't forget about "Of The Girl" and "Parting Ways" - my two favourites on the album.
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I like the love for Riot Act.  Arc is one of my favorite tracks.  So if I were to rate it, it’s 5 stars just based on the euphoric feeling I get from it and also the tribute to the victims from Roskilde.
    I was at the first live version of Arc in San Diego. Talk about chills. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options

LOST DOGS (2003)
    Pearl Jam’s B-side collection absurdly enough consists of some of the absolutely strongest songs the band has recorded. It is okey for a B-side collection to be a bit rugged and rough around the edges, but there are one or two ”joke” songs too many on here to call it a masterpiece. But in a way it still is. There is something wrong with Pearl Jam keeping some of these songs off the albums.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

LOST DOGS (2003)
    Pearl Jam’s B-side collection absurdly enough consists of some of the absolutely strongest songs the band has recorded. It is okey for a B-side collection to be a bit rugged and rough around the edges, but there are one or two ”joke” songs too many on here to call it a masterpiece. But in a way it still is. There is something wrong with Pearl Jam keeping some of these songs off the albums.
    Still baffled to this day that Leatherman was excluded from this compilation.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    (evacuation is underrated by the way)

great tight rocker with good enough lyrics for what it is. better than maaaany other similar rockers from the band. 
    Yeah, I don’t get the ‘hate’ for it. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    (evacuation is underrated by the way)

great tight rocker with good enough lyrics for what it is. better than maaaany other similar rockers from the band. 
    Yeah, I don’t get the ‘hate’ for it. 
    Prefer evacuation over songs like Get Right, GSFM, Breakerfall and Big Wave. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options

PEARL JAM (2006).
    I remember every step of this album’s release - from crude audience recordings of Comatose premiering live to the lead single Word Wide Suicide dropping to staying up in the middle of the night streaming the band’s short concert played at David Letterman. I also remember the harsh sound of the album (coming off the soothing Riot Act) and it sounding as Eddie sang with a giant cold. The vocal recording sounds off. Both with it sounding like Eddie badly needs a cup of tea and something to blow his nose with - but also, it sounds like a weird almost Cher-like autotune-effect at places. Revisiting the album (the original mix and the 2017 remix) it still sounds like that. A lot of these songs really grew when played live with the band all fired up. Some still felt like they needed more work to make the great lyrics pop (Marker in the Sand and Army Reserve) while some felt unnecessarily run of the mill (Come back, Big Wave). Also - how could the band decide to release such a shitty album cover?
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Blasphemy 
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,542
    edited August 2020
    Two stars for Inside Job? 
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I like the album cover, and only one star for Comatose...no love for Avocado/Self-Titled.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    I like the love for unemployable. Great song! 

I’d take one star from Gone and give it to Life Wasted. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    unemployable four stars and marker only two?  you day drinking again?
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    Pearl Jam was the first time I ever got hold of an album leak before it was released. I burnt it onto a cd and listened to it pretty much non-stop on the 4 hour drive to the fan club show at London Astoria on 20/04/06. I wasn't proud of it (especially as I was working in a music store at the time!) but six of the songs from this record were played for the first time at that show, so I'm really glad I did. Pearl Jam will always remind me of an amazing club show. With the exception of Come Back (which I have never been able to get into), I've got nothing but love for this album.

SET 1
    World Wide Suicide
    Life Wasted
    Severed Hand
    Unemployable
    Gone
    Even Flow
    Sad
    I Am Mine
    Insignificance
    Army Reserve
    Present Tense
    Better Man
    Marker In The Sand
    Do The Evolution
    Why Go

ENCORE 1
    Man Of The Hour
    Given To Fly
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    Porch

ENCORE 2
    Comatose
    Leaving Here
    Yellow Ledbetter

ENCORE 3
    Alive
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unemployable = show killer 
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Options
    RobertwileysrRobertwileysr Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Posts: 22
    PJNB said:
    Why Go and Indifference as a five star are the strangest rating to me. I think of them more in the 4 star area 
    Daughter is weaker than both imo and it got 5. Indifference is a top 5 song for me so I am happy it is getting some love. 
    I think Indifference is severely underrated. It's my all time favorite PJ song, as I love the message I get from it, and it's got a lot of sentimental value for me, and not to mention the way the song sounds, but, there isn't a bad-sounding PJ song, so...I agree that Daughter is weaker than both Why Go and Indifference. Daughter probably wouldn't be in my top ten. I don't know what my top ten would be, and I don't want to think about it, unless someone holds a gun to my head, and says that they will shoot if I don't. It's disrespectful to the other PJ songs. There are so many really really really good ones, that it doesn't boil down to ten. imo
  • Options
    Listening to Backspacer now. I don't know how Brendan O'Brien is recording/producing vocals... but he is doing it wrong.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    One star for Comatose???
    Are you freaking kidding me? 
    :heartbreak::heartbreak::heartbreak:
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    agreed.  one of the worst.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    agreed.  one of the worst.
    I’ve yet to witness it live and I am grateful for that!
  • Options
    Probably why they never play it. It’s a great studio take though. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Listening to Backspacer now. I don't know how Brendan O'Brien is recording/producing vocals... but he is doing it wrong.
    What's the verdict? You can't break my heart with this ranking/review, because it is my least favorite. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    What's the verdict? You can't break my heart with this ranking/review, because it is my least favorite. 
    Ha, same
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    Ha, same

BACKSPACER (2009). Fans use to talk about the brickwalled production of the album released before this one - but I find Backspacer to be even more harsch sounding. And Eddie sounds like he has an even worse cold. Especially on Just Breathe. Why does every string being plucked on that song have to attack my ears? It should have sounded like it belonged on Neil Young’s warm and pleasant Harvest Moon - not Metallica’s Death Magnetic. Other songs sound overproduced - I have never noticed or been irked by added piano parts like on this album. And the doubling of Eddies vocals on Speed of Sound just sounds off. No need to overproduce the song when the demo sounded great. Backspacer was and is to me a disappointing album, mostly due to the production but also in how uninspired some of the songs come off. Sure - some of them really grow live (Got Some, Just Breathe and Unthought Known) but yeah...