Options

25 Years since Red Rocks

darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
Why haven't they been back?

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,101
    Most likely, it's because it doesn't have a very large capacity.  I think it's something like 10,000 people.

PJ has migrated to fewer dates and larger venues of the years.   Shows of the capacity are pretty rare these days.

edit:  Someone's going to point out that they could do 10 shows there to satiate the demand, but the counterargument, is if they have 30 shows in them in a year....  they're going to be able to play in front of more fans if those 10 dates were allocated to larger venues in different places (plus make more money).
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,297
    edited June 2020
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    That was one hell of a summer. Those two nights are very underrated in my opinion. Ed stopping show due to the fight, and they picked up without missing a beat. That is one place there is no fighting. At a Pearl Jam concert!
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    densan said:
    That was one hell of a summer. Those two nights are very underrated in my opinion. Ed stopping show due to the fight, and they picked up without missing a beat. That is one place there is no fighting. At a Pearl Jam concert!
    Love those shows.  Hope one is a Vault.  We know they have the audio (Christmas single)
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    They could do it ala LA 2009. I think that place was pretty small, 4 shows in a week
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    They could do it ala LA 2009. I think that place was pretty small, 4 shows in a week
    Haha... I knew this argument was coming (hence my note in the 2 post in this thread).

PJ tours seem to get getting smaller.  As a result the odds of playing smaller venues also seems to be getting smaller.  Sometimes they'll do one, as a one off, during a tour of large venues.   I don't think they'd do 4 of them.

If PJ only has 20 to 30 shows in them at best in a year, are they going to use up 4 of them in the same place playing to a small number of fans?  I dunno.  I don't see it :(

I find it's similar to u2.  It's hard to play 10000 seaters, when for the same amount of work you can play 20000 seat arenas for 50000 seat stadiums.   I imagine this is why u2 has never gotten back there since their infamous show in 1983.

If you spend the time to do a small residency there:

1) Less fans get to see you
    2) Your tour covers less ground, making you inaccessible to more fans
    3) For all that, you pocket half the money for the same amount of work.

I could make the same argument for my hometown arena which has a small capacity. PJ should play here.  All they need to do is make it 4 shows to make it worth their while.. lol.

• Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    In 95, RR was not a ticketmaster venue. Unfortunately RR now appears be in their dirty ass hands.
    Maybe someday somewhere their will be the opportunity to spend the night in line outside an independent record store, and then score some tix when they open the shop. Talk all night with die hards about music, party, cath a few Z's. If you ever get the chance, ...
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    Seeing a show at Red Rocks is on my bucket list.  I'm fairly surely it's to small for PJ.  I wonder what other act would play it that it would inspire me to go.
  • Options
    BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,147
    Zod said:
    Seeing a show at Red Rocks is on my bucket list.  I'm fairly surely it's to small for PJ.  I wonder what other act would play it that it would inspire me to go.
    Ed ?
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Ed ?
    Wow, I didn't of think of that.  That would definitely get me to go!

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    densan said:
    In 95, RR was not a ticketmaster venue. Unfortunately RR now appears be in their dirty ass hands.
    Maybe someday somewhere their will be the opportunity to spend the night in line outside an independent record store, and then score some tix when they open the shop. Talk all night with die hards about music, party, cath a few Z's. If you ever get the chance, ...
    We used to do that outside of a record store in Milpitas California for concert tickets in the 80's. I cut more than a few morning classes in junior high and high school to do it. 
  • Options
    ed at red rocks. OMG YES please GOD PLEASE
  • Options
    I think I missed the glory days of waiting in line.  When I was younger it was usually lollapalooza's which were through TM and didn't sell out right away, so it was a matter of just grabbing a ticket.  When I finished high school we figured out the phone thing (where you would call a TM in a different location than where the show was to buy the tickets... there would be no queue and they could still process the order).   I remember lining up for Smashing Pumpkins tickets in '97 and that was pretty annoying and we got mediocre seats.   In '98 I line up with a friend so he could get PJ tickets and he got screwed by the random wristband thing.  I ended getting way better tickets a few days before the show.  

My glory days of getting good tickets was the phone trick and the early days of online ticketing (before bots and before the general public figured it out).   I never really liked the stand in line all night thing :)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,725
    Zod said:
    Most likely, it's because it doesn't have a very large capacity.  I think it's something like 10,000 people.

Would make a great 10club members only event.