Do you agree with this chart?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    I think the chart is pretty close. Of course things can be nitpicked, but it gives a good overview and puts them generally in the right categories. I've read or been exposed to most of those sources at various times, and think it is a fair assessment.

I also think its pretty close.  Not sure I would put MSNBC to close to "hyper-partisan liberal" but then I don't read that source all that often.
    I don't agree with that at all.  

You don't think "hyper-partisan liberal" is exaggerated?  Maybe it's the "hyper" part that seems a bit overboard.  Like I said, I don't go there much.  In what way are they "hyper-partisan"?
    Yes I was agreeing with you....MSNBC is definitely not "hyper-partisan liberal".  Maddow is always providing the GOP argument to counter her own.  O'Donnell is pretty harsh but he doesn't bury facts like Hannity and Carlson.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    I think the chart is pretty close. Of course things can be nitpicked, but it gives a good overview and puts them generally in the right categories. I've read or been exposed to most of those sources at various times, and think it is a fair assessment.

I also think its pretty close.  Not sure I would put MSNBC to close to "hyper-partisan liberal" but then I don't read that source all that often.
    I don't agree with that at all.  

You don't think "hyper-partisan liberal" is exaggerated?  Maybe it's the "hyper" part that seems a bit overboard.  Like I said, I don't go there much.  In what way are they "hyper-partisan"?
    Yes I was agreeing with you....MSNBC is definitely not "hyper-partisan liberal".  Maddow is always providing the GOP argument to counter her own.  O'Donnell is pretty harsh but he doesn't bury facts like Hannity and Carlson.

Ah, I see.   Thanks for clarifying!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    I wouldn’t trust Maddie governors by the GOP counterpoint over having an actual guest on. That’s like not allowing a defense attorney and saying well the prosecution provide a defense point of view and he still sounded guilty.
    Fox is definitely very right. But CNN and MSNBC are also definitely the left counterpoint. I always find it sunny that everyone craps on Fox and anyone who watches it, but then drinks the CNN Kool-aid 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    mace1229 said:
    I wouldn’t trust Maddie governors by the GOP counterpoint over having an actual guest on. That’s like not allowing a defense attorney and saying well the prosecution provide a defense point of view and he still sounded guilty.
    Fox is definitely very right. But CNN and MSNBC are also definitely the left counterpoint. I always find it sunny that everyone craps on Fox and anyone who watches it, but then drinks the CNN Kool-aid 

What is telling about the chart is not left or right. Both add value to the political spectrum.

Its the top to bottom of the chart. Fox is in the lowest box. After 7pm when the majority of Fox’ audience tunes in, they turn into a propaganda network. The level of dishonesty skyrockets. CNN and MSNBC are nothing like that.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    JimmyV said:
    bbiggs said:
    eddiec said:
    JW269453 said:
    CNN and MSNBC should be closer to where Fox is on the liberal side. They are all only around to provide confirmation bias for their viewers at this point. Other than that the only glaring mistake I see is that InfoWars should be right above AP & Reuters...
    I don't see CNN as the counter to Fox. CNN invites a conservative point of view to their discussions.
    To be fair, Fox News also brings on liberal guests.  I think they are pretty comparable in terms of bias.  I tune into both on a weekly basis, in equal doses, so I'm not beholden to either.  I do think that CNN is to the left what Fox News is to the right, or somewhere close to it.

Even in primetime?

You nailed it. Fox has afternoon hosts that attempt to provide legitimate news. Neil Cavuto took a lot of heat criticizing trump for hydroxychloroquine. Shep Smith took a lot of heat working at Fox and criticizing trump, but was finally pressured to quit.

At 7pm the popular Fox “opinion” hosts take over and if a democrat appears after that time they will get shouted over and bullied. The other major news network hosts do not operate like that.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    JW269453 said:
    CNN and MSNBC should be closer to where Fox is on the liberal side. They are all only around to provide confirmation bias for their viewers at this point. Other than that the only glaring mistake I see is that InfoWars should be right above AP & Reuters...
    It's interesting because I try as best I can to look at different media outlets, and I do see 'some' bias from CNN and MSNBC.  That said... with regards to Trump,  it's hard not to be annoyed and borderline angry with what he does and says.  When I watch CNN sometimes, I do wish they would be more professional and less dramatic about their distain towards Trump.  But they're not being overly opinionated or skewing facts.  They could run a news cycle based solely on what Trump himself says and does. They're against him sure, but it's not without reason and not without using his own words against him. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Parksy said:
    JW269453 said:
    It's interesting because I try as best I can to look at different media outlets, and I do see 'some' bias from CNN and MSNBC.  That said... with regards to Trump,  it's hard not to be annoyed and borderline angry with what he does and says.  When I watch CNN sometimes, I do wish they would be more professional and less dramatic about their distain towards Trump.  But they're not being overly opinionated or skewing facts.  They could run a news cycle based solely on what Trump himself says and does. They're against him sure, but it's not without reason and not without using his own words against him. 
    Honestly any human being should show disdain toward tRump.  Politics doesn't matter...he is a complete piece of shit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Parksy said:
    JW269453 said:
    I agree with this.  CNN is generally my choice for news.  Can't watch Fox.  Watch and listen to some MSNBC but at times tjhey make me cringe.  CNN was always a little left biased, but I thought not too bad.  With trump though, they have decided to start becoming what he has been saying they are.  Just little barbs thrown in here and there.  Snarky side comments.  It's frustrating to see how they are letting him get to them as professionals.  But I guess it's somewhat understandable.  Still makes them look small when they do.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    brianlux said:
    Yup. I have referenced this chart to folks on here a few times before. It is generally accurate. 

If only the majority of people would get their news from that top green box....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Yup. I have referenced this chart to folks on here a few times before. It is generally accurate. 

If only the majority of people would get their news from that top green box....
    For sure!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,949
    What would be the reason to watch anything else than PBS for news?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    My guess is people like having the news spun the way they like it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,718
    Bingo 
  • Options

nicknyr15 said:
    Bingo 

Ah, sorry guys, WRONG!

For example, if the news were spun the way I like it the headlines would read:

GLOBAL WARMING SHOWN BY SCIENTISTS TO BE REVERSING

COVID-19 PANDEMIC COMES TO AN END

CHAUVIN/ THREE OTHERS INDICTED FOR MURDER/MANSLAUGHTER

TRUMP RESIGNS!