Options

Do you agree with this chart?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited May 2020
    I’d move CNN further left. Where CNN is on the chart seems accurate like 5-10 years ago. But they’re way more left these days. Might be more of an anti-Trump bias than a anti-conservative bias though. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    You can nitpick the hell out of something like this.  Half of Americans would pile almost all of them into the lower-left corner and put infowars, Fox News, etc at top-middle.

I have no experience with OAN, but I'd have thought it would be in that red box in the lower-right corner.  I generally think it's pretty close...I'd move Mother Jones left (but not down).

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    edited May 2020
    CNN and MSNBC should be closer to where Fox is on the liberal side. They are all only around to provide confirmation bias for their viewers at this point. Other than that the only glaring mistake I see is that InfoWars should be right above AP & Reuters...
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • Options

Sorry the link doesn't work.  Not sure why.
    Alex Jones ) responded with his own chart saying “dying dinosaur media’s extreme liberal bias” and that it unfairly “demonizes” independent media" (sure, Alex, whatever you say) :

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JW269453 said:
    CNN and MSNBC should be closer to where Fox is on the liberal side. They are all only around to provide confirmation bias for their viewers at this point. Other than that the only glaring mistake I see is that InfoWars should be right above AP & Reuters...

Wait, you see InfoWars as neutral, unbiased, and fact reporting?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

Haha no, total sarcasm on my part.

• Options
    JW269453 said:

Assuming the CNN/MSNBC part is not sarcasm (since you said InfoWars was)...I would move MSNBC further left, perhaps.  But not further down.  They might be as biased as Fox but not nearly as dishonest.

I am OK with where CNN is...I'd still put 'em in the middle, but I don't tune in a ton.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:

Haha no, total sarcasm on my part.

Of course!  Sorry, I should have known!  :smile:
    More coffee, please!  :lol:

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I think the chart is pretty close. Of course things can be nitpicked, but it gives a good overview and puts them generally in the right categories. I've read or been exposed to most of those sources at various times, and think it is a fair assessment.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    I think the chart is pretty close. Of course things can be nitpicked, but it gives a good overview and puts them generally in the right categories. I've read or been exposed to most of those sources at various times, and think it is a fair assessment.

I also think its pretty close.  Not sure I would put MSNBC to close to "hyper-partisan liberal" but then I don't read that source all that often.

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:

Assuming the CNN/MSNBC part is not sarcasm (since you said InfoWars was)...I would move MSNBC further left, perhaps.  But not further down.  They might be as biased as Fox but not nearly as dishonest.

I am OK with where CNN is...I'd still put 'em in the middle, but I don't tune in a ton.
    I don't think any of them are really in the business of reporting unbiased news, they just want viewers and they know how to get them. You have to remember, it's all about the $$$. Anderson Cooper net worth $200 million and Sean Hannity net worth $250 million...please. Most people do not check the facts anyway, they just believe the first thing they are told from the source that makes them feel warm and fuzzy.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    I think it is overall pretty spot on. The sources I most rely for accurate and complex analysis fall exactly where they should based on what I've read. I recently started reading The Economist more and really like their global coverage and analysis of current events. On the otherside, I enjoy The Atlantic as well. They can both immerse me in about a 10 - 15 minute read on a topic. I see the lean from The Hill and Politico and read each to get perspective from both sides. I really don't read or follow anything below the yellow rectangle. I only view CNN as a basic news source (i.e. general overview based on the writer/reporters view and the information at hand). It would be like if I still tuned in to my local channels world news tonight. I am not much in to opinion pieces unless it is a subject matter expert discussing a current dilemma, but even those sometimes get too partisan.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    edited May 2020
    JW269453 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:

I don't think any of them are really in the business of reporting unbiased news, they just want viewers and they know how to get them. You have to remember, it's all about the $$$. Anderson Cooper net worth $200 million and Sean Hannity net worth $250 million...please. Most people do not check the facts anyway, they just believe the first thing they are told from the source that makes them feel warm and fuzzy.
    I disagree with the bolded quite a bit. There are definitely many brands on that chart who do exactly what you suggest, but I think the closer you get to the top middle, the lower the percentage of their coverage that applies to your statement. Of course they don't want to go broke, but I think many still have a strong regard for fair and accurate reporting. Your two examples just happen to be the most reference extremes of each "side". Can any of us really name any other big name "news" personality from those other sources (I don't mean Alex Jones either)?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    JW269453 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:

I disagree with the bolded quite a bit. There are definitely many brands on that chart who do exactly what you suggest, but I think the closer you get to the top middle, the lower the percentage of their coverage that applies to your statement. Of course they don't want to go broke, but I think many still have a strong regard for fair and accurate reporting. Your two examples just happen to be the most reference extremes of each "side". Can any of us really name any other big name "news" personality from those other sources (I don't mean Alex Jones either)?
    The curve pretty much reflects the market.  There are those that want to have their beliefs confirmed and are almost willing to be lied to (or at least have a blind spot to the lying).  There are those that essentially want facts but want to hear someone from their POV discuss those facts and say what it means for "their side." And there are those that want "just the facts."  I'm sure that market share has fallen as the news cycle has become 24/7 through the internet and so many TV channels.  But there is a market for it and while it's impossible to always be unbiased, there are some that do a decent job.

• Options
    tbergs said:
    JW269453 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    JW269453 said:

My statement was not intended for all of the listed sources, just the 3 main cable news options who over the years have taken much more noticeable stances in order to maintain their base.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

I also think its pretty close.  Not sure I would put MSNBC to close to "hyper-partisan liberal" but then I don't read that source all that often.
    I don't agree with that at all.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

I don't agree with that at all.  

You don't think "hyper-partisan liberal" is exaggerated?  Maybe it's the "hyper" part that seems a bit overboard.  Like I said, I don't go there much.  In what way are they "hyper-partisan"?

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    Should National Enquirer even be on this chart? I guess random tabloid articles are neither right or left...
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Should National Enquirer even be on this chart? I guess random tabloid articles are neither right or left...

LOL. probably not.  But the real question is, where's The Onion!?!

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    JW269453 said:
    I don't see CNN as the counter to Fox. CNN invites a conservative point of view to their discussions.
  • Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 344
    eddiec said:
    JW269453 said:
    I don't see CNN as the counter to Fox. CNN invites a conservative point of view to their discussions.
    Tell that to that race baiting hack Don Lemon.....
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    eddiec said:
    JW269453 said:
    Tell him what exactly? That CNN brings on conservative guests to share their viewpoint?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    "race baiter/ing" 
    "pull the race card" 
    "all lives matter"

Helpful phrases for determining who just might be a good old fashioned racist.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    eddiec said:
    JW269453 said:
    To be fair, Fox News also brings on liberal guests.  I think they are pretty comparable in terms of bias.  I tune into both on a weekly basis, in equal doses, so I'm not beholden to either.  I do think that CNN is to the left what Fox News is to the right, or somewhere close to it.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,609
    eddiec said:
    JW269453 said:
    Maybe he should get a bumpy ride, eh?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 344
    rgambs said:
    "race baiter/ing" 
    "pull the race card" 
    "all lives matter"

Helpful phrases for determining who just might be a good old fashioned racist.
    Don’t forget Blue lives Matter cause we know first responders are inherently racist.....  
  • Options
    Please, no thread crapping.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    bbiggs said:
    eddiec said:
    JW269453 said:
    To be fair, Fox News also brings on liberal guests.  I think they are pretty comparable in terms of bias.  I tune into both on a weekly basis, in equal doses, so I'm not beholden to either.  I do think that CNN is to the left what Fox News is to the right, or somewhere close to it.

Even in primetime?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    I haven't watched cable news in a few years, but I would be surprised to learn there was any legitimate CNN or MSNBC equivalent to the way Fox News covered COVID in February and March.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    JimmyV said:
    bbiggs said:
    eddiec said:
    JW269453 said:

Even in primetime?
    Most of my Fox News exposure is Tucker Carlson, who I find to be more fair than Hannity.  Carlson does invite liberal guests on; yes.