The website says "Swallow my pencil and bleed out my pen"

I hear "swallow my piss (beer) and breathe out my pen (vape pen)"

Anyone else?

I also don't have the lyric book in front of me to compare

Post edited by sparky_fry on

Comments

• Travels WithTravels With Posts: 579
    From the lyrics in the vinyl.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352

Anyone else?

I don't think Eddie has much time for vaping in between chain-smoking.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,502
    This is my favourite  song atm. I love  the lyrics.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475

Not only my favorite song on this record but one of my all time favorites do to these lyrics right here! Holy shit those are some powerful lyrics. Yes, I do hear "swallow my pencil and bleed out my pen" just as the lyrics state. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    This is my favourite  song atm. I love  the lyrics.
    Wait, this song gives out money?!  Now I love it even more!!  :)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • "Whoever said it's all been said gave up on satisfaction" on an all-out rocker is such a perfect opener for an album released 7 years after the one before.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,162
    In my top 3 or 4 on the record! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Travels WithTravels With Posts: 579
    After a week or two this one was just warming up for me but now it is thee rocker on the album.  I love it.  And I'm pretty sure I get chills everytime on...
    "Surrender the wish we'll be together again
    But I won't give up....No, I won't give up"

That's pure magic in these times.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Best song the band has released in a long, long time.
    5-28-06
    6-20-08
    10-27-09
    10-28-09
    5-21-10
    4-28-16
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,946

Anyone else?

My ears hear the version in the official lyrics.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    I hear the official lyrics but on the other hand I can’t hear the “Trump” in Quick Escape. Then again the lyrics makes sense and I haven’t got another take on the line...
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
    Best song the band has released in a long, long time.
    Whoever thought  ;)
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,946
    TJ25487 said:

Not only my favorite song on this record but one of my all time favorites do to these lyrics right here! Holy shit those are some powerful lyrics. Yes, I do hear "swallow my pencil and bleed out my pen" just as the lyrics state. 

Its my favorite song on the album and I love that part of the song.  I drive my wife crazy because I always need to turn up the song when it hits that part. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    TJ25487 said:

Its my favorite song on the album and I love that part of the song.  I drive my wife crazy because I always need to turn up the song when it hits that part. 
    Haha! Hard not to turn the song up. IMO the song really gets going with these lyrics and then does not let up until the very end. The second section of lyrics are almost as good as the first and finish the song off with a bang! Tremendous! 

I don't know if it is the production or what but Ed's voice just seems so on point on this whole album. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,068
    First listen of this song left me confused and feeling like the song is all over the place. It’s moved into one of my favorites off of the album now. Hopefully they can pull this off live. I love towards the end where it quiets down the builds again. Has an arms aloft feel in that part.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,574
    TJ25487 said:
    on2legs said:
    TJ25487 said:

Haha! Hard not to turn the song up. IMO the song really gets going with these lyrics and then does not let up until the very end. The second section of lyrics are almost as good as the first and finish the song off with a bang! Tremendous! 

I don't know if it is the production or what but Ed's voice just seems so on point on this whole album. 
    Definitely. I love the lyric and how Ed delivers it. Swallow my pencil and bleed out my pen and then when this whole section comes next:

Pull myself aside on a sleepless night
    Sadness blurs, I'm in need of a light
    Out of balance, balance, balance this time
    I'm feeling fading calling as I'm falling out of sight

It's a fantastic song.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited May 2020
    That balance.  Balance balance part really makes me get chills. I can imagine the  aggression  live. It is the best song in ages
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    And let's not forget the final crescendo when Ed belts:

A rubble of commandments from the road, step aside!
    A rubble of commandments in the road, step aside!!!!!!!!

I want to hit something after that! Hahaha! 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,162
    Wonder if they contemplate making this the opening rocker for the first show back...??? Well know the song pretty well by then. This could scorch the roof off the joint if they can nail it live!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    TJ25487 said:

Wonder if they contemplate making this the opening rocker for the first show back...??? Well know the song pretty well by then. This could scorch the roof off the joint if they can nail it live!? 
    Yes and yes. On both. Wonderful 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Wonder if they contemplate making this the opening rocker for the first show back...??? Well know the song pretty well by then. This could scorch the roof off the joint if they can nail it live!? 
    Would be perfect. Maybe just play the whole album front-to-back even :grin:
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,519
    TJ25487 said:

"Living forward in a backwards town...I feed em drinks just to watch em drown"

love it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    TJ25487 said:

Love that part! 
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    This will be the new "Getaway" imo.  Awesome on record but will struggle to translate live.  
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
    This will be the new "Getaway" imo.  Awesome on record but will struggle to translate live.  
    I have a feeling you’re right.
  • mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 106
    I was actually listening to this the other day and was wondering what people's take on that specific line is in terms of meaning (I definitely do hear the official lyrics though pretty clearly in the song)

"Swallow my pencil and bleed out my pen"

Any guesses what this means/is trying to say?
  • i am still super happy about getting to know this album before the live tour hits. i will even state that i hate having a new album released within a week/month before the start of a supporting tour for the new record. by any band. not just pj
    i'm finding different gems every week with the new pj record, and have listened about 15 times so far. the album has such a strong start and that has overshadowed the greatness of each of those first 4 individual songs for me. having said that this opening track i was floored with this week. it's absolutely fantastic in every sense. imo
    and i especially can't not get over this lyric. my mind is blown again! 
    "all the answers will be found, in the mistakes that we have made"  wow !
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    I'm not wild about the keyboard/guitar back and forth in the first half (in fact it's my least fave non-Buckle Up part of the album) but man I love the 2nd half of this song.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I hear: 

"I'm hearing Satan calling as I'm falling out of sight."

Every time, I stop and look in the lyric book to figure out what the words *actually* are there ... then forget the next time I listen to the song.

everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • CL58497CL58497 Posts: 2
    edited May 2020
    Still owe myself more listens to Gigaton, everything's great though. When I actually focus, which is not always easy but it is a delight. 
    Post edited by CL58497 on