Options

Factory farms are as despicable a wet markets.

2»

Comments

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
     These numbers are actually higher... if based on population and vegetarians and vegans weren't counted..  

We ate much better prior to cheap processed meats and factory farming... see below..

Wonder why we also lead the world in obesity, heart disease, diabetes etc.. We're #1!!!!  

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    myoung321 said:
     These numbers are actually higher... if based on population and vegetarians and vegans weren't counted..  

We ate much better prior to cheap processed meats and factory farming... see below..

Wonder why we also lead the world in obesity, heart disease, diabetes etc.. We're #1!!!!  

Don’t forget before High Fructose Corn Syrup was added to everything.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    btw -- I went Vegetarian in 2010 after being diagnosed with some serious heart issues and having a couple of surgeries .. I'm still here today and I think my change in diet has a lot to do with that fact....oh and the cardiac ICD that's saved my life a couple of times now.. ;)  ...ouch!!!!! 

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/270253/shocked-by-heart-icd-ouch-again-oct-19#latest

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    myoung321 said:
    btw -- I went Vegetarian in 2010 after being diagnosed with some serious heart issues and having a couple of surgeries .. I'm still here today and I think my change in diet has a lot to do with that fact....oh and the cardiac ICD that's saved my life a couple of times now.. ;)  ...ouch!!!!! 

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/270253/shocked-by-heart-icd-ouch-again-oct-19#latest

I'm glad you're still with us, myoung.  You're a good soul.  Keep up the good health!  :smile: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    brianlux said:
    myoung321 said:

I'm glad you're still with us, myoung.  You're a good soul.  Keep up the good health!  :smile: 
    Thanks man!... Appreciate that.  

I can't tell anyone what they should eat, but I can share my experience. Becoming a Vegetarian for personal health reasons. How the cardiologist was blown away by my numbers a year after giving up meat.  It then opened my eyes to the facts about factory farming and made me look at the bigger picture, the one I'd ignored and pretended didn't matter for years. Maybe the realization about my own mortality made me look at all life in a different way?  Put it this way....If they could wave a magic wand and cure my heart issues I would not go back to eating animals. 

• Options
    static111 said:
    myoung321 said:

Good point... that crap is everywhere

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    static111 said:
    myoung321 said:

I used to just figure sugar was sugar until several years ago when I read a book that talked a lot about how bad high fructose corn syrup is for the body.  Wish I could remember what book it was but, man, that got me off that stuff fast!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited May 2020
    brianlux said:
    myoung321 said:
    static111 said:
    myoung321 said:

I used to just figure sugar was sugar until several years ago when I read a book that talked a lot about how bad high fructose corn syrup is for the body.  Wish I could remember what book it was but, man, that got me off that stuff fast!

I would be suspicious of that book.  Chemically, to your body, added fructose is fructose, regardless of the source.  If it's bound up in fiber, as it is in fruit, then it's fine.  It's very hard to consume too much fructose in fruit.

The real argument against HFCS is not in what it is to your body, it's the quantity in which it is used, and the environmental impact of producing it.  The environmental impact of replacing all HFCS with granulated sugar, sucrose, would likely be worse, but it also wouldn't be practical.  The bottom line is that added sugar is the enemy nutritionally, and HFCS is easier to produce than traditional sugar so that ease of production and low cost ends with more added sugar in our diets.

All that being said, you can pry added sugars from my cold dead hands lol
    Giving up meat altogether (especially factory meat) and living a happy life is entirely possible, giving up cookies and brownies leaves a bleak existence.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    myoung321 said:
    static111 said:
    myoung321 said:

I would be suspicious of that book.  Chemically, to your body, added fructose is fructose, regardless of the source.  If it's bound up in fiber, as it is in fruit, then it's fine.  It's very hard to consume too much fructose in fruit.

The real argument against HFCS is not in what it is to your body, it's the quantity in which it is used, and the environmental impact of producing it.  The environmental impact of replacing all HFCS with granulated sugar, sucrose, would likely be worse, but it also wouldn't be practical.  The bottom line is that added sugar is the enemy nutritionally, and HFCS is easier to produce than traditional sugar so that ease of production and low cost ends with more added sugar in our diets.

Giving up meat altogether (especially factory meat) and living a happy life is entirely possible, giving up cookies and brownies leaves a bleak existence.

I would be suspicious of your being suspicious of that book. :lol:

No, seriously, it was probably a Bill McKIbben or Richard Manning book- both excellent writers and researchers.  The book was about a lot more than just high fructose corn syrup.   It was also about how mono-cropping vast field of corn is unsound farming practice carried out by big agribusiness.  As a back-to-the-land kind of guy, it's probably one you would like.  I'll try to find it when I get the time.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    myoung321 said:
    static111 said:
    myoung321 said:

I don’t think it is the problem of added sugars to traditionally sweet foods like cookies and pastries per say.  The problem is more about getting around using actual ingredients and just using HFCS and flavorings in place of actual ingredients like tomatoes when it comes to things like pasta sauces or in large doses of processed cheeses. Additionally hfcs unlike real sugar is not bonded fructose and glucose which takes longer for the body to digest, it is a suspension with the fructose and glucose separated in the syrup, thus allowing the fructose a clearer path to the liver where it is quickly converted to fat causing, fatty liver, obesity, diabetes etc.  Plainly stated HFCS is used in so many products where it has no actual place and that is a major driver of unknowing fructose intake.  It’s one thing to know not to drink a 2 liter of cola and a box of cookies, but another to think you are eating actual food when in fact you are just eating flavored and processed HFCS.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden