Options

17 Dead in Canadian province of Nova Scotia in a mass shooting

13»

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Up to 23 identified victims now, and more details about the shooter, who was apparently fascinated with the RCMP. It seems he would purchase old police vehicles at auction and restore them so they looked original - I’m not sure why that’s even legal (perhaps if they aren’t licensed to drive on-road?). 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Up to 23 identified victims now, and more details about the shooter, who was apparently fascinated with the RCMP. It seems he would purchase old police vehicles at auction and restore them so they looked original - I’m not sure why that’s even legal (perhaps if they aren’t licensed to drive on-road?). 
    The fact an ordinary citizen can do this and make it look that authentic is really quite frightening.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    ontario was sending out amber alerts to our phones to tell travellers to self quarantine...so the RCMP decided to warn people via twitter instead of an Amber Alert...WTF.

A major RCMP fail...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    ontario was sending out amber alerts to our phones to tell travellers to self quarantine...so the RCMP decided to warn people via twitter instead of an Amber Alert...WTF.

A major RCMP fail...
    Yes. That does not reflect well on the RCMP. Perhaps Twitter can be used... IN CONJUNCTION with more established emergency notification tools at their disposal. 
    I am not sure how they justify that decision. 
  • Options

A major RCMP fail...
    Yes. That does not reflect well on the RCMP. Perhaps Twitter can be used... IN CONJUNCTION with more established emergency notification tools at their disposal. 
    I don’t think they are justifying it. From what I’ve read, they had admitted it wasn’t the right decision, but didn’t realize initially  quite how widespread the massacre was. 
  • Options

A major RCMP fail...
    I know the amber alert system works...they sent out a covidc19 alert while I was at work...the alert went off from every corner of the building and everyone reaching for their phone.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

A major RCMP fail...
    I don’t think they are justifying it. From what I’ve read, they had admitted it wasn’t the right decision, but didn’t realize initially  quite how widespread the massacre was. 
    It was more of a general statement, I’m not pointing fingers... 
    One thing I’ve learned in my profession is that people make decisions because it was the right decision at the time. 

Obviously they have more important things to investigate right now, but to “close the gaps” on future situations the RCMP would want to learn why that decision was made and ensure a documented process on how to communicate emergency situations to the public will be done going forward. Essentially, take the human element out of it. After all, all humans make mistakes. 
  • Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 344
    edited April 2020
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I hope this was not Covid 19/financial pressure led to this...but that was a thought that can mind.

however, it seemed welled planned.  The shooter had a police uniform and similar police cruiser that the RCMP use.

With everything going on, mental health is definitely something that I’ve been worried about since this started. What a tragedy 
    All kinds of people have all kinds of time on their hands right now. Most are reading, watching tv, listening to music, etc. Some are planning shit like this. 
    It's something I was wondering about the other day. What kind of future are we setting ourselves up for based on the impacts of this virus? Between the virus and the continued political divides, I'm very intrigued about how children will come out of this time period. Many are resilient as hell and will be fine, but I feel that in some ways there's a fostering of extremism that could result in some serious ramifications 10 - 15 years from now.
    My nephew is 6 years old and harboring some alarming anti-Chinese sentiment.
    Its sure is interesting how kids can see through all of our BS and call a spade a spade....I wish I had the ability to look at things w/ a fresh untainted brain.  
    Post edited by lindamarie73 on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I hope this was not Covid 19/financial pressure led to this...but that was a thought that can mind.

however, it seemed welled planned.  The shooter had a police uniform and similar police cruiser that the RCMP use.

With everything going on, mental health is definitely something that I’ve been worried about since this started. What a tragedy 
    All kinds of people have all kinds of time on their hands right now. Most are reading, watching tv, listening to music, etc. Some are planning shit like this. 
    It's something I was wondering about the other day. What kind of future are we setting ourselves up for based on the impacts of this virus? Between the virus and the continued political divides, I'm very intrigued about how children will come out of this time period. Many are resilient as hell and will be fine, but I feel that in some ways there's a fostering of extremism that could result in some serious ramifications 10 - 15 years from now.
    Its sure is interesting how kids can see through all of our BS and call a spade a spade....I wish I had the ability to look at things w/ a fresh untainted brain.  
    I wish you did too.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited April 2020
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Speaking of tainted brains and not being able to see through BS and not being able to call a spade a spade

Maybe you should make an effort.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:

So do we all
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Mmmmm. 

I love the smell of bullshit in the morning. 
  • Options
    benjs said:
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    JimmyV said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I wish you did too.
    Buy a mirror 
  • Options
    How did this thread go from a mass shooting in Canada to anti-Chinese sentiment>to tainted brain>to someone posting a picture of some unknown people that are not connected to this mass shooting...WTF
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    This place..   . It just isn't surprising any more. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Turns out the RCMP shit the bed on that amber alert...

the agency responsible for issuing amber alerts reached out to the RCMP and the RCMP never responded...wtf

who the fuck is running the RCMP should be terminated...

unacceptable and lives were likely lost due to inaction by the RCMP.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2020
    How did this thread go from a mass shooting in Canada to anti-Chinese sentiment>to tainted brain>to someone posting a picture of some unknown people that are not connected to this mass shooting...WTF
    I apologise for my part in that, I must have thought I was in the Coronavirus thread when I responded to a musing about the post-COVID world.
    "Listen Linda" and her Sveedish troll... I can't take responsibility for that foolishness.

Please everyone, back to the tragic topic, with respect.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2020
    Sad for the victims and their families.  When stuff like this has happened in the past, people didn’t have to worry about hugging and grouping together to help each other through the trauma...I hope they can still find comfort or closure somehow.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I apologise for my part in that, I must have thought I was in the Coronavirus thread when I responded to a musing about the post-COVID world.
    "Listen Linda" and her Sveedish troll... I can't take responsibility for that foolishness.

Please everyone, back to the tragic topic, with respect.
    No apologies needed...

it’s all ggod
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The US Consulate in Nova Scotia did a better of of alerting ex pats that there was an active shooter on the loose.

if the RCMP wasn’t to be considered the Canada’s National Police Force they need to do better, much better.

After this incident I hope the provinces who use the RCMP start thinking about their own provincial forces...Ontario and Quebec have their own police...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Information now suggests that the massacre started with domestic violence. The killer and his girlfriend were at a party, there was possibly some sort of disagreement, they went home and he assaulted her. She was able to escape and hid, and he left and embarked on his killing spree, first going back to the party and killing several people there. I haven't read any other details about what exactly happened at the party, though. 
  • Options
    The RCMP didn’t even really find him...they just happened to be at the same gas station.

Nova Scotians appear pissed at the RCMP brass...

I saw 2 interviewed, one lost his brother, one his wife and both feel the lack of an amber alert lead to more killings.  The fellow who lost his wife and unborn child feel they’d be alive today with an amber alert..

Give Peas A Chance…