Ed at Home RIVER CROSS

13»

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,946
    Lifted said:
    on2legs said:
    Loved the performance.  Great choice of tune... very fitting.  

Also... has Ed officially embraced the baseball hat stage of his career?  
    Ed has been wearing baseball hats since Pearl Jam has been a band.
    Not on a regular basis.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited April 2020
    tbergs said:
    Yeah.  Lyrics may be positive at the end but the music is pure depressive. Great job but need more upbeat for this show.
    I agree. It felt like a funeral dirge to me, with the organ and the dark room. 
    He could've have played The Fixer I guess.
    He could've done any number of things. He chose River Cross. Whatever. It's a beautiful song, but I find it rather depressing, verse by verse:

1. Can't get across a river.
    2. I'm alone and there is no safety.
    3. Clouds have taken over and everything comes to an end, over and over
    4. Can't sleep, sun never comes out
    5. Wild lion's got me trapped
    6. All futures die
    7. Govt and religion spread misery and our will is in a choke hold

And then you want to "share a light" -- what light? The ending, to me, is a futile attempt at inserting hope into the song. No matter how many times you repeat it, it sounds like a desperate plea that probably won't get answered given the overwhelming odds presented in the previous verses on the song. 

Add the funeral organ and some candles on the altar, you've got a mood buster of a performance.

Just my interpretation. I know the vast majority of fans thought it was perfect for the occasion. To each their own. It was Ed. I'm glad I watched.

Post edited by what dreams on
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Postscript . . .the average viewer at home who doesn't study PJ lyrics most likely didn't understand a word he said. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,107
    edited April 2020
    Postscript . . .the average viewer at home who doesn't study PJ lyrics most likely didn't understand a word he said. 
    Par for the course, though, right?
    Not the easiest to understand.  I love the misheard lyrics videos
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    I honestly don’t know what you guys are talking about in this instance. I understood him just fine?!
  • My wife made that comment....
    I knew what he was saying as I have listened a bunch of times and read the lyrics.
    She really liked the song, though, despite not knowing what he was saying.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    edited April 2020
    It was a perfect choice for the times and a beautiful version. I could understand him fine. 
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    Loved it. Confirms for me the studio version is rather overproduced and really really didn't need to be.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Whywhyzed said:
    Loved it. Confirms for me the studio version is rather overproduced and really really didn't need to be.

Then it would have been a solo EV song and not a Pearl Jam song.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,267
    Anyone else want a digital tour of that room now?
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    Whywhyzed said:

Then it would have been a solo EV song and not a Pearl Jam song.
    Agreed. 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 713
    Ed was great, as were the Stones but Paul McCartney- yikes!
  • RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,610
    Am I the only one who thinks that it was exteremely boring 2h event?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,702
    RW8297 said:
    Am I the only one who thinks that it was exteremely boring 2h event?
    That's why I recorded it on my DVR. Fast forward was my friend.

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    I thought it was terrible. Some of the performances were good, didnt like eds choice of song, but the tone of the whole thing is just SAD. We dont need more sad. I was hoping for uplifting like 911. This was not a distraction from the current situation, it was a dramatic over telling of it.
  • Yes. Did not expect so much break between artists. They should have just played song to song and maybe every 20 minutes have Fallon/Kimmel say a few words. The way it was programmed did not make it an uplifting event or a distraction.  
  • mcdevittpbmcdevittpb Posts: 220
    Yes. Did not expect so much break between artists. They should have just played song to song and maybe every 20 minutes have Fallon/Kimmel say a few words. The way it was programmed did not make it an uplifting event or a distraction.  
    Also the event should have been commercial free.