Options

The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    i saw a clip of his first appearance on ufc last night. looking at him then and looking at him now i can't believe it is the same guy. he has that thing barry bonds had where his head got bigger with age. weird.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    i saw a clip of his first appearance on ufc last night. looking at him then and looking at him now i can't believe it is the same guy. he has that thing barry bonds had where his head got bigger with age. weird.
    maybe not so weird. he is open about testosterone replacement therapy. and he works out like a fiend..... plus his supplements etc....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    rgambs said:
    I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    He's not just a stoner shooting the shit, that is a defense tactic that protects him from criticism for the ignorance he hosts and sometimes voices.  On the other hand, he is a comedian, and he is a stoner, and he doesn't take himself too seriously.  If he provides a platform for ignorance, and he DOES do that, don't fucking kid yourself, then he mostly does it for entertainment value.

I do get annoyed that he plays the fence-sitter when it's convenient and plays the passionate participant when that's convenient.

And I will say again, while he has plenty of listeners who listen for fun, he absolutely has a core fanbase of conspiracy-minded dolts who see the Illuminati behind every symbol when they hit the blunt.
    He is ABSOLUTELY the stupid man's smart man.

I like Joe, but the conspiracy stuff and the "Trump is funny" stuff makes it hard sometimes.
    agree 100% gambs
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I don’t like talking to racists, white nationalists, rapists or their ilk or similarities. Nor do I want to hear them. Joe the Team Trump Treason supporter wants to “hear them out.” Giving them a voice. And you seem okay with that?HughFreakingDillon said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    To the point, I really like his show. Used to listen more years ago when I was in the car more. Don't have as much time now, so I generally focus on specific guests. My wife likes him, too, so it's a default show we can agree on when we're on a long drive together. 

And, yeah, NewsRadio is one of the most underrated comedies of all time. Used to watch it over and over in college.

I'll agree with you on newsradio but that's it. Regarding Biden v Trump, Rogan is acting like an opportunist idiot to play to his audience. And he is lying to please his audience by telling half truths.

Yes Biden is losing some sharpness but so is trump. But trump can  overcome it with his lying and bullying, an opportunity Biden just doesnt have. Bidens  problem is he continually searches for the truth in his comments which makes his stuttering look worse and then people think omg look how old he is.

I dont see how Oliver or Stewart lie about their political beliefs or pretend to be independent but then sway to the candidate of  choice simply to please their audiences like Rogan shamelessly does
    You're making it out to be calculated and it's not. He's high and shooting the shit for 3 hours.
    THIS. everyone takes joe seriously, and half the time you shouldn't. the other half, you should just listen to his guest. part of the problem is people who aren't familiar with it don't know the difference. i know when he's just 'shooting the shit with his buddies in his basement" and when he's actually being serious. 

one of his downfalls is he absolutely doesn't take his influence seriously. he thinks it's laughable that people care what he thinks. he even said so after all that bernie shit blew up. "i'm just an idiot in my basement talking shit" or something to that effect. 

i hate the fact he has assholes and racists and ted nugents on. but he just likes talking to everyone. anyone who thinks he's a racist/birther/whatever simply isn't paying attention, or looking for something/someone to be outraged about. not everyone deserves all your shitty labels. 

thinking his audience is just "macho ufc types" shows just how ignorant some people are. yes, i do watch ufc, but i'm about as anti-macho as you get. lots of people just find his guests interesting. like me, they'll tune in when it's elon musk or neil degrasse tyson, but won't when it's ted nugent or just one of his ufc fighter friends. (the latter of which are often just boring snoozefests). 

try reading. i explicitly stated "i hate that he has" those types of people on. and he's not a trump supporter. he wanted to vote for bernie, and said he would vote for trump over biden. he later clarified that wasn't an endorsement for trump; he said "i'd vote for a monkey over biden" because he, like many, think biden is losing his marbles. jesus this gets old. not everyone who doesn't wish trump in the grave is a fucking trump supporter. once you learn that, you'll be a lot better off. 

i watch the podcasts with guests i'm interested in, and i don't watch the ones i'm not interested in. it's pretty simple. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    I don’t like talking to racists, white nationalists, rapists or their ilk or similarities. Nor do I want to hear them. Joe the Team Trump Treason supporter wants to “hear them out.” Giving them a voice. And you seem okay with that?HughFreakingDillon said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    To the point, I really like his show. Used to listen more years ago when I was in the car more. Don't have as much time now, so I generally focus on specific guests. My wife likes him, too, so it's a default show we can agree on when we're on a long drive together. 

And, yeah, NewsRadio is one of the most underrated comedies of all time. Used to watch it over and over in college.

I'll agree with you on newsradio but that's it. Regarding Biden v Trump, Rogan is acting like an opportunist idiot to play to his audience. And he is lying to please his audience by telling half truths.

Yes Biden is losing some sharpness but so is trump. But trump can  overcome it with his lying and bullying, an opportunity Biden just doesnt have. Bidens  problem is he continually searches for the truth in his comments which makes his stuttering look worse and then people think omg look how old he is.

I dont see how Oliver or Stewart lie about their political beliefs or pretend to be independent but then sway to the candidate of  choice simply to please their audiences like Rogan shamelessly does
    You're making it out to be calculated and it's not. He's high and shooting the shit for 3 hours.
    THIS. everyone takes joe seriously, and half the time you shouldn't. the other half, you should just listen to his guest. part of the problem is people who aren't familiar with it don't know the difference. i know when he's just 'shooting the shit with his buddies in his basement" and when he's actually being serious. 

one of his downfalls is he absolutely doesn't take his influence seriously. he thinks it's laughable that people care what he thinks. he even said so after all that bernie shit blew up. "i'm just an idiot in my basement talking shit" or something to that effect. 

i hate the fact he has assholes and racists and ted nugents on. but he just likes talking to everyone. anyone who thinks he's a racist/birther/whatever simply isn't paying attention, or looking for something/someone to be outraged about. not everyone deserves all your shitty labels. 

thinking his audience is just "macho ufc types" shows just how ignorant some people are. yes, i do watch ufc, but i'm about as anti-macho as you get. lots of people just find his guests interesting. like me, they'll tune in when it's elon musk or neil degrasse tyson, but won't when it's ted nugent or just one of his ufc fighter friends. (the latter of which are often just boring snoozefests). 

try reading. i explicitly stated "i hate that he has" those types of people on. and he's not a trump supporter. he wanted to vote for bernie, and said he would vote for trump over biden. he later clarified that wasn't an endorsement for trump; he said "i'd vote for a monkey over biden" because he, like many, think biden is losing his marbles. jesus this gets old. not everyone who doesn't wish trump in the grave is a fucking trump supporter. once you learn that, you'll be a lot better off. 

i watch the podcasts with guests i'm interested in, and i don't watch the ones i'm not interested in. it's pretty simple. 
    And by doing so you support someone who gives a platform to racists and white supremacists. No thanks.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

And by doing so you support someone who gives a platform to racists and white supremacists. No thanks.
    if that's your criteria, you'd better research and find out the political and racial leanings of every single person you have ever given a dime or a view to. that local food mart down the way? yeah, he has a sister who was raped and had an abortion, and now he donates to anti-abortion groups. you'd better ask him about it and stop shopping there. 

that obscure singer/songwriter from your town? yeah, he once got mugged by a brown person, and now secretly supports the wall. you'd better accost him after his next show, ask him about it, and tell him you are giving away his cd's and want your money back for the concert. 

that band you love on this website? yeah, you know, the one who's lead singer was a huge supporter and still friends of barrack obama? that president that killed hundreds of innocent people in drone strikes? you'd better burn all your cd's and vinyl and stop paying for access to this website. because by doing so, you support someone who gives a platform to someone guilty of war crimes. no thanks. 

looks like you're going to be busy for a while. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

if that's your criteria, you'd better research and find out the political and racial leanings of every single person you have ever given a dime or a view to. that local food mart down the way? yeah, he has a sister who was raped and had an abortion, and now he donates to anti-abortion groups. you'd better ask him about it and stop shopping there. 

that obscure singer/songwriter from your town? yeah, he once got mugged by a brown person, and now secretly supports the wall. you'd better accost him after his next show, ask him about it, and tell him you are giving away his cd's and want your money back for the concert. 

that band you love on this website? yeah, you know, the one who's lead singer was a huge supporter and still friends of barrack obama? that president that killed hundreds of innocent people in drone strikes? you'd better burn all your cd's and vinyl and stop paying for access to this website. because by doing so, you support someone who gives a platform to someone guilty of war crimes. no thanks. 

Yawn. Barack Obama guilty of war crimes? According to who?

I know where my money goes and it doesn’t go to folks who give white supremacists and racists a platform, out of “an interest in what they might have to say.” I don’t need to be informed of their views as I know them all to well. SPLC, see?

Those bands you speak of? I don’t listen to shit like that and I know who and what the content is of the artists I read, look or listen to. I’m not as ignorant as you tend to think I am. What fucking band are you talking about? Like you know what and who I listen to? Yea, right.

You know where I shop or the type of neighborhood I live in? Again, yea right.

Nice lashing out fantasy but even if it were all true, all that you said? I wouldn’t be publicly defending it.

Busy being self quarantined, listening to my music and reading my books with a very clear conscious. Thanks for the laugh.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    You got 2 people who have a legit shot at the presidency...Voting trump over Biden because Bernie didn’t win the nomination of the party is about the dumbest thing an American can do....but there are a lot of dumb Americans...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

I know where my money goes and it doesn’t go to folks who give white supremacists and racists a platform, out of “an interest in what they might have to say.” I don’t need to be informed of their views as I know them all to well. SPLC, see?

Those bands you speak of? I don’t listen to shit like that and I know who and what the content is of the artists I read, look or listen to. I’m not as ignorant as you tend to think I am. What fucking band are you talking about? Like you know what and who I listen to? Yea, right.

Nice lashing out fantasy but even if it were all true, all that you said? I wouldn’t be publicly defending it.

Busy being self quarantined, listening to my music and reading my books with a very clear conscious. Thanks for the laugh.
    typical response. you missed the entire obvious point was that you have no idea who props up whom with what views, not everyone is public in their day to day political/societal activities, so your whole premise is useless. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

typical response. you missed the entire obvious point was that you have no idea who props up whom with what views, not everyone is public in their day to day political/societal activities, so your whole premise is useless. 
    But the original comment you responded to was “gives a platform to” offensive views, which is quite different than “secretly supports” 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

As is yours but you're okay with knowing Joe gives a platform to racists and white supremacists, even if you don't listen to "them," you still watch. I'm not and wouldn't. Carry on.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    my conscience doesn't hinge on the actions/inactions of any celebrity i occasionally watch on youtube. ffs. your constant virtue signalling is out of control. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my conscience doesn't hinge on the actions/inactions of any celebrity i occasionally watch on youtube. ffs. your constant virtue signalling is out of control. 
    Do you listen to Sam Harris at all? I ask this because you mentioned some of the guests you like to listen to on Joe's show and Harris has some of those guests on and more in that vein. He's much more thoughtful and responsible than Joe too. You may enjoy his show if you're not listening already.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Do you listen to Sam Harris at all? I ask this because you mentioned some of the guests you like to listen to on Joe's show and Harris has some of those guests on and more in that vein. He's much more thoughtful and responsible than Joe too. You may enjoy his show if you're not listening already.
    not listening already? no clue what that's supposed to mean. hadn't heard of sam harris until now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    not listening already? no clue what that's supposed to mean. hadn't heard of sam harris until now. 
    Why so defensive? Was just trying to make a friendly suggestion. Sam Harris has been a guest of Joe's a couple of times.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Watched a ton of Sam's debates and lectures.  Actual brilliance is amazing to listen to.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Smellyman said:
    Watched a ton of Sam's debates and lectures.  Actual brilliance is amazing to listen to.

For sure, it's in short supply. If you haven't already checked out his podcast you should, was called Waking Up but now is called Making Sense ( the latter has a paywall now unfortunately). I hope that referral wasn't somehow insulting, it's not meant as such.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Wasn't insulting at all.

• Options
    dignin said:
    Sam is/was a named part of that so called dark web intellectual group with Joe , Jordan Peterson, Eric Weinstein and his brother Bret a couple years ago.

You might find him interesting.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

If you are voting for someone, you’re supporting that person. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

One of the biggest problems with lesser of two evils voting 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

One of the biggest problems with lesser of two evils voting 
    Supporting the lesser of two evils isn’t so bad, depending on the evils. 
  • Options
    Yea, he should be taken seriously and be elevated because of his guests, who are interesting, by the way! But did you notice the shoulders in the suit jacket??? My god, who’s his tailor????? And who’s his barber? 

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/29154711/ufc-249-joe-rogan-does-postfight-interviews-octagon

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Why so defensive? Was just trying to make a friendly suggestion. Sam Harris has been a guest of Joe's a couple of times.
    not sure where you get that i was defensive. i watch maybe 2% of joe's podcasts. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yea, he should be taken seriously and be elevated because of his guests, who are interesting, by the way! But did you notice the shoulders in the suit jacket??? My god, who’s his tailor????? And who’s his barber? 

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/29154711/ufc-249-joe-rogan-does-postfight-interviews-octagon
    what the hell are you talking about? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    not sure where you get that i was defensive. i watch maybe 2% of joe's podcasts. 
    Hugh take a breath here. Dignin offered a suggestion about Harris. Not knowing if you had/do listen or not to Harris' show.

This exchange is earnest enough on Dignin's part

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Hugh take a breath here. Dignin offered a suggestion about Harris. Not knowing if you had/do listen or not to Harris' show.

This exchange is earnest enough on Dignin's part
    yeah, i know. i understand now why he thought i was defensive. i went back and looked at what he wrote, which, right now, is very clear, but at the time, i read it in a different way, that for whatever reason, wasn't, at the time. 

i wasn't being defensive, but now realize why he thought i was. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    pjl44 said:
    He has had some very interesting guests.  But 100 Million?  Wow.
    Looks like this will be my last year of watching Rogan. I'm only an occasional viewer. Not enough of a reason to shell out money to subscribe to Spotify .  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    he said once it fully switches over nothing changes.  it will stillbe free