Options

Who Should Biden pick as his running mate?

2»

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    Looks like Whitmer is taking some heat from the conservative faction over her stay at home order.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/michigan-gov-whitmer-faces-fierce-backlash-over-strict-stay-home-n1182711
    The headline doesn't really tell the story. She's doing crazy stuff like not allowing Target to sell things like seeds, gardening equipment, baby car seats, or paint. If you have an in-state vacation house, you're not allowed to travel to it. It's hard enough to stay at home; if you don't give people some leeway they'll give it up altogether soon.
    I know. I read all of that. There has been a petition signed by several hundred thousand as well. It's an interesting stance and some of it I don't understand, but this could hurt her viability as a VP choice if she is imposing authoritarian type restrictions, even though the current dip shit  in chief just made himself out to be a dictator.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,058
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:
    Looks like Whitmer is taking some heat from the conservative faction over her stay at home order.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/michigan-gov-whitmer-faces-fierce-backlash-over-strict-stay-home-n1182711
    The headline doesn't really tell the story. She's doing crazy stuff like not allowing Target to sell things like seeds, gardening equipment, baby car seats, or paint. If you have an in-state vacation house, you're not allowed to travel to it. It's hard enough to stay at home; if you don't give people some leeway they'll give it up altogether soon.
    I know. I read all of that. There has been a petition signed by several hundred thousand as well. It's an interesting stance and some of it I don't understand, but this could hurt her viability as a VP choice if she is imposing authoritarian type restrictions, even though the current dip shit  in chief just made himself out to be a dictator.
    I agree completely. If he's demanding things loosen up (even if it's too soon) and she's not allowing people to plant tomatoes, that's not a lesser-of-two-evils decision you want to force people into making.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    He’ll probably pick Harris. Maybe Klobuchar. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    He’ll probably pick Harris. Maybe Klobuchar. 
    God I hope it’s the latter if it’s one of those two.  Partially because I think Amy is the better pick electorally (Biden will already have success with Harris’ base, Amy brings some midwestern support). Partially because I think she could be a fine-enough President if Biden keels over and dies. And lastly, because I cannot stand Harris. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    he needs to pick michelle obama.

he needs an earthshaker. someone who will help to electify the base. i am sorry, i love most of the women listed. i want warren, or abrams, or harris, but i do not see klobuchar or the like exciting the base.

what if he picks tulsi? someone to siphon moderates and republicans away from trump?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

he needs an earthshaker. someone who will help to electify the base. i am sorry, i love most of the women listed. i want warren, or abrams, or harris, but i do not see klobuchar or the like exciting the base.

what if he picks tulsi? someone to siphon moderates and republicans away from trump?
    Klobuchar is underrated

Tulsi is overrated 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options

Tulsi’s repellent and says weird shit. They need to forget about pulling votes from trump and they have to go for high turnout, in particular with swing states. 
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Stacey Abrams (nearly won the Georgia governorship in 2018; The highest office she has ever held is the state House)
    pjl44 said:
    tbergs said:

Meh, nothing crazy that I’ve seen. Burger King drive thru packed, Home Depot packed ect.ect.
    I’m working even more overtime. Lots of leeway.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    That's part of the problem.
    Target shouldn't be packed.
    Don't go to the store unless you absolutely need to.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Too many slow people.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Stacey Abrams (nearly won the Georgia governorship in 2018; The highest office she has ever held is the state House)

I agree, but for some reason people seem to be pushing this narrative that the actions the governor took are draconian, I’m saying it seems to be in line with federal social distancing guidelines and what other states have done. No win situation for her it seems. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113

Tulsi’s repellent and says weird shit. They need to forget about pulling votes from trump and they have to go for high turnout, in particular with swing states. 

I liked Tulsi early in the campaign. But after a few months I realized she honestly is not a democrat.

I think Klobuchar would be a terrific running mate. Smart and down to earth with midwestern influence. But the democratic base is energized by having an African American on the ticket. Not sure Harris is on a par with Klobuchar. Maybe Val Demings cut hat presents a name recognition issue and I might have gotten her name wrong.
  • Options
    Hi! said:

I agree, but for some reason people seem to be pushing this narrative that the actions the governor took are draconian, I’m saying it seems to be in line with federal social distancing guidelines and what other states have done. No win situation for her it seems. 
    If I'm in Target here in MA, there are no sections roped off. That seems insane. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Elizabeth Warren
    He's not picking Tulsi...her whining about the DNC process won't do much good in the general.  What else does she have?  I suppose Russia could back off since they'd have pretty good coverage on both sides.

I'll buy Klobuchar as a choice because she's from a swing state (that pains me to say) and she comes across as moderate/reasonable.  My favorite remains Warren, but people think of her as liberal and while she could pull in a few Bernie people, I don't think she helps with the moderates.  Harris makes sense in general, though she's from a state that the Dems don't need to sway.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    i am basing my picks on if something happens to joe while president. at his age it is possible that something could happen. bernie had a heart attack a few months ago, so anything is possible. i think warren, booker, michelle, harris, any of them would make a fantastic president.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    OnWis97 said:
    He's not picking Tulsi...her whining about the DNC process won't do much good in the general.  What else does she have?  I suppose Russia could back off since they'd have pretty good coverage on both sides.

I'll buy Klobuchar as a choice because she's from a swing state (that pains me to say) and she comes across as moderate/reasonable.  My favorite remains Warren, but people think of her as liberal and while she could pull in a few Bernie people, I don't think she helps with the moderates.  Harris makes sense in general, though she's from a state that the Dems don't need to sway.

Warren might have a lower chance than Tulsi. Her governor is a republican and he would get to appoint a replacement before a special election is held, which is not required until 145 to 160 days after the vacancy. No way Biden hands a seat to the Rs for that duration nor risks having a special election where the democrat would be running against a sitting senator for a state that could vote for a Republican.
  • Options
    i saw that both abrams and warren said that they would accept if biden were to offer. so that is reassuring. to me at least.

• Options
    i saw that both abrams and warren said that they would accept if biden were to offer. so that is reassuring. to me at least.
    I like Warren but her intellect and clear grasp of policy would just highlight Joe’s confusion. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited April 2020
    Andrew Cuomo (impossible because we live in a country where It is ok to say “no men”, but every day Cuomo demonstrates his poise and integrity in this crisis)
    I think he will pick Harris.  I feel like her early exit was done with a wink and a handshake.  She was the one tossing the "Biden is a racist" bombs early-on.  She will come into the fold and completely un-do that.  I thinks its lame and its all bullshit.  Phony reality show shit and identity politics... and I liked Harris in the first debate, but after that, I really dont want her near the white house.  He 'affirmative action'/equal pay initiatives she hinted at with punitive punishment for businesses turned me on her.  She will make a decent enough attack dog.

I would give serious thought to Cuomo if he can get NY on autopilot dealing with Covid by then.  There is no hotter politician right now, and he seems like the complete antidote to Trump right now.  He was hated in NY, even by a lot of Democrats (much of it is unjustified and silly IMO), Republicans in NY hate him more than Obama, and the guy skyrocketed to like 88% approval including 70% of Republicans.  Covid will be THE issue this election, and so far, Cuomo has acquitted himself better than anybody.
    It seems clear that the path is there for Cuomo in 2024.  This way, Biden could have 1 term and step away.  

but I guess he HAS to pick a female, and bonus points for one with darker skin.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Kamala Harris
    I would love to see Harris destroy Pence in a debate....she would disembowel him
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,756
    Gretchen Whitmer (Michigan governor)
    I would love to see Harris destroy Pence in a debate....she would disembowel him
    I'm not convinced he has any innards to disembowel. He stands there with the same blank stare and empty soulless eyes. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Attorney General Harris
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    how about eric holder. or if you really want to make some heads explode, bill clinton. 

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Elizabeth Warren

Like Sideshow Bob planned with Bart Simpson.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin