Stone & Mike on Reddit Thursday 4/9 at 4pm PT

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,319

STONE and/or MIKE:

The production on the new album is lightning-in-a-bottle!

Could you share any insight about how you managed to get it to sound so “live” and spontaneous, despite the intricate arrangements?

(Your thoughts on any of the songs are welcome, but Quick Escape, Retrograde and that entire final section of Clairvoyants are of particular interest to me personally…)

Josh Evans helped a lot of it to sound like that.I think Quick Escape basics were done live. It was us rocking out and then tightening up the live basics. Retrograde was built up but parts of it were recorded live i recall. Clarvoience was us going in at different times .MM

Hey guys! New album rocks! Thanks for giving us something to enjoy during isolation.

How’s rescheduling the tour coming? Are you guys picking tentative dates yet or waiting until the world situation settles down some? In particular, the US dates is what I’m curious about.

Its a crazy world right now. I wish I had an answer.MM

Hey Mike and Stone! My buddy met you guys at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville on 8/17/2000. Apparently Mike bought a pre-Civil War Martin that day. My friend is wondering if Mike still has it, and if it ever made it on any recordings.

Yes I remember.I cant remember if I used it on any records but I love it and still have it.MM

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,790
    Did Stone leave early?
    I miss igotid88

As a Seattle kid, I always looked up to you guys for helping put us on the map culturally. You guys have done so much more beyond music that I appreciate. Stone, I admire your efforts to promote carbon neutrality to combat a looming climate crisis. Mike, I am forever grateful for the work you do raising awareness for a disease that debilitated my mother for most of my childhood. Thanks to both of you.

Anyway, onto the question. As a member of a band, I always found many of my favorite moments came before shows, waiting out in a parking lot that smelled like vomit, meeting people from other bands before the show began. Do you guys have any stories from hanging out with other bands before you guys were famous? How did this change as you exploded in popularity?

Thanks! I used to try to meet all the bands that came to town. I waited for Iron Maiden at their Hotel and got "Cheers Mike from Clive Burr on my tour book, Met Paul Stanley in Seattle in 1984 or 85 . There is a story about how I met the Scorpions but thats for another time....MM

Mike : What was the inspiration for "Retrograde" ? (Sergio/Brazil)

I think it was a riff I had been messing around with for awhile.The ending was inspired by going to space and beyond in my mind.I wanted to create a feeling of lift off and outer worlds to be discovered and inner worlds too!MM

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Posts: 810
    igotid88 said:
    Did Stone leave early?
    Knowing Mike, he's probably just staying late lol
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    Contributor & Patron - liveon4legs.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10 | 2024: Vegas 5/16-&-18, Indy? Wrigley 2?

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    EDIT: Thanks everyone. This was an extremely rewarding experience for us. Thanks for all your questions and it would be cool to do this again sometime soon.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    Thank you @demetrios !!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Posts: 810
    Thanks Demetrios for documenting these! I was following it on Reddit but it is nice to have it saved cleanly in one place :)
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    Contributor & Patron - liveon4legs.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10 | 2024: Vegas 5/16-&-18, Indy? Wrigley 2?

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • epbadgerepbadger Posts: 663
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thank you @demetrios !!!!
    Yes!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this 
    @demetrios!!! You Rule!
  • Thanks @demetrios for organizing all this here. Much easier to navigate.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Thanks demetrios.  

Pretty calm Q and A.  I think if we ever see Of the Earth on an album it will be completely redesigned (like True Love Waits by Radiohead)

None of my questions got answered this time (but im not complaining. Ed answered me twice on the last chat!)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    Thanks, D.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    Thanks @demetrios !!!!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    Thank You, Demetrios
  • Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,591
    Thank you! 
    demetrios said:

What is the very best dessert?

Otter Pops !!! Bananas FosterMM

Never tried Bananas Fosters. Looks good.

Otter Pops, we call them Freezies up here in Canada.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,152
    Stone answered my question :)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462

Cool :) you could have asked Mike a Kiss question ;)

Cool man!

• rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 306
    Stone answered my questions regarding using open tunings and if his Grammy (featured in the PJ20 film) was still in his basement. 
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    I totally forgot about this!  Looking forward to reading through the thread! 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • moleculemolecule Posts: 622
    Haven’t had time to catch up. Did anyone ask abort the half symbol on the album spine?
    🤙
  • LizJLizJ Posts: 347
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/fy1oxr/this_is_mike_mccready_and_stone_gossard_from/

You can read the whole AMA here. 

Someone asked about the half lung specifically but didn’t get an answer. 

There was only this other answer (posted above) that Gigaton is „it’s own record“.  Whatever that means 😉
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    Thanks D!  That made it much simpler. 
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
    KV4053 said:
    Thanks D!  That made it much simpler. 
    Np. :) 

• LizJLizJ Posts: 347
    demetrios said:
    Thank you for always keeping us posted! 😊
  • moleculemolecule Posts: 622
    LizJ said:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/fy1oxr/this_is_mike_mccready_and_stone_gossard_from/

You can read the whole AMA here. 

Someone asked about the half lung specifically but didn’t get an answer. 

There was only this other answer (posted above) that Gigaton is „it’s own record“.  Whatever that means 😉
    Thanks!
    🤙