Stone & Mike on Reddit Thursday 4/9 at 4pm PT

Comments

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    Cheers for posting the replies demetrios. I thought about opening a Reddit account for it but couldn't really be arsed and am banking on the questions I'd ask being asked by others-seems to be the case thankfully. Let's hope they've been so bored by the lockdown they answer a whole heap!
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,320

Does recording and playing with the band still feel the same as it did 30 years ago?

recording seems more interactive to me these days cause in the early days i just didnt care as much how stuff went down, I was just excited to be there and probably didnt have the confidence to say what I really wanted.Now I know a bit more what I like to hear and will seach for the sound.Its a lot of work now but there is less anxiety for me.MM

I remember reading a quote from Jeff that said Ten was recorded as a way to get out and play more gigs. Do you have a similar approach to records now, or is has it become more considered as you've matured as a band?

Love the new album and looking forward to seeing you live when the world has returned to normal!

I remember that qoute from Jeff and he was right . we needed to get on the road and see how we would evolve and learn as a band to get more intuitive.I have a picture that Karen Mason took of our first show and it looks like we are in different bands to me. kind of disjointed but we had only been together for 7 days with Ed. we needed to get out there and compete.... Now I think about how things will sound on record and not always worry about doing it live. The Live shows of course are super important though.MM

Hey guys! Huge fan here and was lucky enough to be at the Philadelphia show where y’all played Ten cover to cover. Release means a lot to me and I was tearing up a little bit just knowing it was coming. That whole night was special to me and absolutely one of the greatest of my entire life.

Anyway, my question (for either/both of you) is what’s your favorite story/memory about Chris Cornell that most of us might not know?

Fav Chris C story ... SG recording at litho for down on upside. The month before Mike had left a human dummy called a safety man at studio while we had recorded No code(?) .. People had been using Safety Men to cheat in the SUV lanes by having in passenger seat.. Long story short.. Safety man had been on the couch the whole time SG record and one day Matt Bayles arrived and was getting ready to record and as he turned around Safety man stood up and scared the shit of him...Chris has snuck in and put on all of safety mans clothes and sat there for 20 mins waiting ... so funny...

What is one thing you wish you could change about your career at this point in time, and what is one thing a past failure has taught you that helped you later in life?

Good question, I wouldn't change anything about my career Im grateful to have done so much more than I imagined as a young guitar player at 12 years old in my first bands Warrior and Shadow. I think moving to Los Angeles with Shadow in'86 and getting sick with crohns made me give up on music or made me look at life in a different way when I had to move back to Seattle.That experience made me know what an opportunity might look like or made me aware of a door being open when Stone called me all thiose years agoMM

Stone, id like to hear your thoughts on Shawn Smith. His passing hit me hard as I was introduced to Pearl Jam through Shame and Interiors(one of my favorite albums of all time). His voice was amazing and Brad helped me through some rough teenage angst. I have a feeling that Buckle Up would have made an amazing Brad single. Really appreciate you throughout the years and Bayleaf is criminally underrated.

Missing Shawn Smith like crazy. I wish i had some time back with him to tell him my feelings. I wish i had been better for Brad and had gotten a chance to finish more songs with him. Shawn was so in the moment with his voice... incredible . also very fun and playful. rip ss

• bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 761
    That last one is soooo great.  Literally LOL'd….

I was 12 years old when I heard Black for the first time, and I’ll never be able to put into words how much that song resonated with me. It is nothing short of a masterpiece, and I honestly believe it changed my life.

What song changed your lives?

Can’t wait for your online gig on the 18th and I really hope to see yous play an Irish gig very soon! Stay safe! 💚

I have to believe Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street saved my life. those records are so beautiful to me still. Couldnt Stand the Weather Too, Band of Gypsies Hendrix my dad had that album. Queen News of the world,Led Zep 2, Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks, Replacements Tim, KISS ALIVE is why I started playing guitar...MM

What is the very best dessert?

Otter Pops !!! Bananas FosterMM

Thank you guys for coming to do this!

Do you ever feel like you don’t have enough time to complete the songs you write? How do you choose which songs to keep working on and flesh out, and which songs to abandon?

Im always writing and yes I wish I could finish all of them , in terms of PJ whatever songs the guys respond to that I write Im happy for. I never know what that will be though and I have to be open and let go sometimes. MM

Mike, you made an amazing job on the Quick Escape and Super Blood Wolfmoon solos. Are You using more Strats on Gigaton?

Love from Curitiba, Brazil

Im using equal Fenders and Gibsons. It depends on the song. on Wolfmoon for sure a Strat cause I wanted to write a solo like Jeff Beck cause I saw him live and it blew my mind. thats me trying to play like him of course I could never get there but its worth a tryMM

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Nice to see Mike give the Replacements some love. 

I remember Eddie was honored to play after them at ACL

Stone: follow-up to Moonlander when?!

Mike: any plans for a solo record?

I would like to do a solo record some day and have some Ideas for it. I hope it will happen in the next few yearsMM

• SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
    demetrios said:

What is one thing you wish you could change about your career at this point in time, and what is one thing a past failure has taught you that helped you later in life?

Good question, I wouldn't change anything about my career Im grateful to have done so much more than I imagined as a young guitar player at 12 years old in my first bands Warrior and Shadow. I think moving to Los Angeles with Shadow in'86 and getting sick with crohns made me give up on music or made me look at life in a different way when I had to move back to Seattle.That experience made me know what an opportunity might look like or made me aware of a door being open when Stone called me all thiose years agoMM

this was my question!!!

Good evening guys, gigaton is amazing, thank you for all the amazing music you have made. Two quick questions

1. Are the rumors about Gigaton being a part of a two part album true

2. Is there any chance that we could get another lost dogs type album with all the unreleased songs from Avocado onward

Hope you’re both doing great in these tough times and thanks again for all the amazing music, can’t wait to see you guys live when all this is over!

Gigaton is its own record. Id love to record more music in this time of pandemic but its imoportant that we are all taking measures to be safe. Good Idea about Lost Dogs 2 Ill bet we have the music for that.MM

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    And the double album balloon deflates...pffffffffffffff...............
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018

What are some bands that I should be listening to that don't get a lot of recognition? Mike, you mentioned The Rare Forms on your latest "bathroom session" and I'm loving them. It was also really cool to see your interaction with Jason Isbell. Now if we can just get you hooked on Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers we can make a country fan out of you!

Anyways, thank you so much for all of the music. It's gotten me through a lot, and I absolutely can't wait to see you guys when this is all over!

I really like The Kolars right now.Cool songs great show. Jason Isbel is one of the best lyricists Ive ever heard, I like Sturgill Simpson alot.Ill have to check out Tyler Childers. I love Johnny Cash,Hank Williams,Emmy Lou Harris,Dierks Bently,Brad Paisley,Keith Urban, The Carter Family,MM

Hi Stone and Mike, thanks for doing this! Really digging Gigaton and the Hunted Down cover! Given that we are all kinda stuck inside, what kind of recording setup do you guys have at home? Also, I've been fixated on learning to play the guitar part of In Hiding. Can you recall the first time you played it in concert?

Right now Ive been recording on my I phone. I love In Hiding my favorite Stone song.I was probably nervous about playing it live because of the dual melody we are playing.MM

Hi guys! First off hope you and your families are both safe right now and are doing well.

This question has probably been asked, but it seems like you guys had a lot of choices for this record, the one notable that missed the cut is Can’t Deny Me. Two years ago when you guys released it as a single, did you have a different concept for the album? If so, when did that all change?

Also, was Of The Earth ever considered for this album? I love the song and would love to hear a studio recording of it some day (hoping that maybe we have enough “Stray Cats” laying around)

Cant Deny Me was a single that came out when we didnt have a record out.It might come out again someday but Im not sure. I think Ed feels like we havent gotten the best take of Of The Earth from what I remember.I hope we can get it sometime>MM

Hey there Stone! I’m Cricket and I’m from Olympia, WA. I love Gigaton! I hope you don’t mind me asking a question that is not related to the new record. I’ve been asked this question my whole life and I would really like to know why your parents named you Stone??? I was born in 1971 and my father grew up in the golden age of Rock n Roll. He named me after his favorite band - Buddy Holly and the Crickets. I look forward to your reply. ;-)

My dad named me... said it was after Stoney Burke a cowboy character on Rifleman? or some old 50s western show. turns out im not as tough as cowboys. soft west coast liberal ..

Loving the new album boys! Was a struggle working it all out :-)

I've got a few questions

1. I'd love to know why Seven O'Clock isn't in standard tuning (like Even Flow :-) )

2. Stone - what model Gibson do you usually play live and what finish is it?!

3. Mike - if you could only have 3 pedals on your board what would they be?

4. If you could swap roles for one gig, what part of each others would you most love to play!

Thanks again, and Mike hope you had a cool birthday and Stone we've got a Claytown Troupe tee for you (he gave me permission to reprint a Claytown Troupe tee for you) as a pressie so will get it to you via Henrik T :-)

7 oclock came from a jam originally and was put together over a few years? 3 pedals Ibanez Tube screamer,Dunlop Cry Baby, Delay that I can get a beat with. I would want to sing I think? I dont know?MM

Love the new album... given some of the themes, was “Of The Earth” considered for the track list?

We didnt talk about Of The Earth but it would be great sometime to recordMM

Is there a certain favorite show/moment that comes to mind from the band’s early years?

jeffs bday in Hamburg 92?... pure chaos and drunken joy.

If you could be in any other band (doesn't have to be an axe wielding genius) which would it be and why!?

Thunderpussy !! cause I love jamming with them !! Molly has a great sense of 70's references as does Whitney. Im the 5th Pussy as they have said. I just love them as people and musicians. They are the real deal.MM

Really loving Gigaton so far! Don’t really have a question, just wanted to say thank you for all the great music you guys have put out. Also, just thank you for being upstanding human beings. I can’t think of a band I would rather become obsessed with. Thank you.

Thanks Tim!!MM

I would love to hear more about your early guitar playing. How'd you guys first learn? What inspired you to pick up the guitar and play each day? What type of practice routine did you follow for the first several years? Maybe contrast that with what you do today to keep expanding your guitar playing vocabulary and ability?

Also, for what it's worth, Gigaton is a great album as are all of the others. I've been listening from the beginning. Your music has been a major part of my life through all the ups and downs. Thanks!

I first got a guitar at 11 years old.Played my first show at12 and ahalf with Warrior (Danny Newcomb,Rick and Chris Friel) we practiced all the time for years. It became my obsession to play guitar.I took about 2 year of lessons from Mike Wilson in Seattle WA. He was very encouraging and gave me my first confidence. I probably rehearsed with Warrior/Shadow 4 to 5 days a week for 6 years? We played shows and put on our own shows too.Dick and Sharon Friel let us rehearse all those years in there house.We were loud!!thanks.Now I am learning how to fingerpick, working on scales I never knew and taking singing lessons.gotta keep learning.MM

Do you guys practice by yourselves pretty much on the daily even when the band isn’t active? And also do you keep a schedule with your practice and writing or just when you’re feeling it? Cheers from Edmonton.

I play alot of Acoustic right now. finger picking i want to get better at. Plus when I play electric Its easier that acoustic.Im not on a strict schedule but i play most days.MM

Congratulations on being, objectively the best band!!! Will we ever get a Matt Cameron instructional DVD with all of ya'll playing with him in the studio but, the primary focus is on him and his appendages? Or more live Matt-cam in the near future? Everyone could use more Matt-cam...

Thanks for continuing to be there for so many people for such a long time - you guys really are the best band.

Great Idea!!! Im always down for more Matt Cameron!! watch him do Jesus Christ Pose from the Paramount in Seattle I forget the year but its unbelievable. I remember watch Soundgarden that night with my Jaw open....they were brilliant an Matt was on fire !!MM

Have you guys ever pranked each other throughout the years? If so, what was your favorite one?

Usually the pie in the face on our birthdays. Im not a good pranker I feel too guilty!MM

Thanks for doing this, and can't wait to see you guys in concert again soon!

What were your first, favorite, and funkiest guitar pedals?

Super Big Muff was my first pedal in 1980? the funkiest was a pedal Gretch made that I used on Nothing as It Seems. I forget the name..MM