Alright is the new opener

2»

Comments

• VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Will be a great opener!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    cutz said:
    I hope not. Nothing against the tune, but I’m just not that into mellow openers. Even Release. 
    I know what you mean but they do that for a reason I think....gives them plenty of time to get the sound just right
    I‘m not sure of the reason, but opening with a Release or Long Road whatever is fine if they insist.  But I’ve hated how over the past few years, they’ve often opened with three mellow songs in a row. Just looking at two shows I attended, Pendulum-Wash-Nothingman opened Brooklyn ‘13, and Sometimes-Release-Low Light opened Boston ‘18. I’m not a fan of that. Hopefully that lose that “formula” whenever this tour begins. 
    Well, at least they didn't open with Release and then play Arms Aloft>LOL

I understand what you're saying about the 3 Slow Burners to star the show. The place is pumped for the show I think most are ready for a Rocker after a Slow Opener?

I can see Alright Opening a show.
    It’s so funny you mentioned that PJ20 moment because I was there as well and was thinking about it in relation to this discussion. As you’ll attest, that place was about to EXPLODE following Release. Could you imagine if they played Animal right there? Or something in that realm (Hail Hail, etc.) What a botch. It’s funny to look back on and laugh about. And PJ20 was fucking awesome. A true celebration of Pearl Jam. I loved it. But I’d liken playing Arms Aloft in that spot to Michael Jordan airballing the first shot of a playoff game he went onto score 50 points. Strange start. Certainly nothing to dwell on. Doesn’t taint the performance. But the hardcore fans that were there could remember and joke about it. 

Nothing against Arms Aloft by the way, which is a fun cover. But not THERE! Lol...I could still hear the crickets. 
    Man, you're spot on about PJ 20. I know the people around me had that "What the fuck" look when they went into Arms Aloft. Yeah, if they played Animal or some other Rocker there that place would've exploded.  Great analogy comparing it with MJ shooting 1 Air Ball in a 50 point game about PJ 20. We will always Joke about that as longs as were all here on this planet>LOL

I don't care for Arms Aloft in any spot, really. I'm a cricket>HA

I texted my brother last night and told him Alright is the new Pendulum. I hope they don’t open with it at every show, though..... if it becomes an opener. Pendulum opening mostly every show got pretty old pretty fast.
    I'm with you on this as I dig Pendulum but they did open with it a few times too many. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    JPPJ84 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Alright is one of the 4 songs I don’t care for on this album.
    keep listening...
    Yes! It’s so friggin beautiful 
    And just imagine it live...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    JPPJ84 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Alright is one of the 4 songs I don’t care for on this album.
    keep listening...
    Yes! It’s so friggin beautiful 
    And just imagine it live...
    :heart:
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    I’ve realized that openers are often some of my favorite songs, alright is probably my favorite off the new album and I think it totally has that opener quality
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    not a huge fan of the song. Comes right after my favorite, Quick Escape.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    edited March 2020
    not a huge fan of the song. Comes right after my favorite, Quick Escape.
    I'm telling you....live it will take on a life of it's own
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    I agree! Would be a great opener!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mschostokmschostok Posts: 858
    I was thinking this or...retrograde? I think the crescendo of the song would make for a good opener, similar to release 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    It's perfect....nice slow start....get the vocals and sound tuned just right and then it opens up

Great song....nice work Jeff
    I've been saying this about, "You Are," for years.. but they've never once opened with it!  It'd be amazing.

If they do open with,"Alright," I hope it isn't EVERY night like they did with, "Pendulum" - that got pretty old, and I love the track.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,361
    Crew said:
    It's perfect....nice slow start....get the vocals and sound tuned just right and then it opens up

Great song....nice work Jeff
    I've been saying this about, "You Are," for years.. but they've never once opened with it!  It'd be amazing.

If they do open with,"Alright," I hope it isn't EVERY night like they did with, "Pendulum" - that got pretty old, and I love the track.
    You Are is one my favorites. & I feel the same way about Pendulum. I hope whatever new song(s) turn into openers aren’t opened with almost every night like on the Lightning Bolt tour.
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 966
    just got back from a walk and listening to Alright, I was picturing in my mind PJ opening Ohana with this song. Then I got on my computer and saw this thread! haha
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    OP I agree it would be an awesome opener!  I love the slow openers. Pendulum, Release, Long Road, Of The Girl, HTI...
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,900
    Alright reminds me of a Strangest Tribe/Into the Wild type song. Love it. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • I'm just waiting for the rescheduled dates from the Spring shows so we can hear ANY damn opener.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 385
    edited April 2020
    I’m not going to pretend I’ve read every response to the OP’s post, But, this song has really grown on me....(even listening to it as I type) it’s got different levels to it. 

Really feels as though there may be some personal touches here. It would be interesting to know, knowing it’s a Jeff song, whether he and Ed sat down and talked about it before the lyrics came to be. 

It’s quickly becoming one of my favourites with Quick Escape and River Cross. 

Easily one of the best albums since Binaural. 

I’ve since gone back and read everyone’s posts. A lot of great experiences in those posts. And as I’m sure we could all agree on, we have different preferences. TBH, I’d like to see this open an Encore with just Ed and Jeff. 
    Post edited by JBC7913 on
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    I will forever think of Darius Rucker with the title, but besides that it’s great!
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016