Options

Gigaton sounds just like Pearl Jam

Comments

• Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    TH223984 said:
    Wow, am I missing something?  There are some good songs on this album but some of you are in love here.  I’ve listened through 3 times w/lyrics.   Like everyone else I knew this was a Trump motivated album, but damn..... broken record with every song.   I hate Trump just as much as the next guy, I was just hoping for a little break from him in some songs.   Between COVID -19 and The Impeached Guy, I guess I was just hoping there would be a couple songs that would take me to a different place.     
    we got different albums. Someone messed up. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    TH223984 said:
    Wow, am I missing something?  There are some good songs on this album but some of you are in love here.  I’ve listened through 3 times w/lyrics.   Like everyone else I knew this was a Trump motivated album, but damn..... broken record with every song.   I hate Trump just as much as the next guy, I was just hoping for a little break from him in some songs.   Between COVID -19 and The Impeached Guy, I guess I was just hoping there would be a couple songs that would take me to a different place.     
    How many times is he either mentioned or alluded to? I didn’t think it was more then 3 tops. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I didn't listen to the lyrics that deeply. I missed all the Trump mentions while feeling the flow of the songs and the musicianship.  There are some really beautiful moments and some rocking moments and quirky moments. I appreciated the mood of it. It felt triumphant to me.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    EarlWelsh said:
    TH223984 said:
    How many times is he either mentioned or alluded to? I didn’t think it was more then 3 tops. 
    It is two songs, probably a grand total of 15 seconds on an hour-plus record. But now at least we've outed Don Jr's burner handle.  
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    I was a little nervous to see what the 10c was saying about Gigaton. I am so glad I’m not the only one that thinks this album IS Pearl Jam. It is realized and full. I am so happy for our boys and so proud of them. They made a seriously impactful piece of art. I can’t wait to hear how these songs develop over the tour and onwards, I can’t wait wait to ROCK OUT with my Jamily ASAP and I can’t wait to learn “our” parts and sing these new classics alongside the ones we’ve all been practicing for years. Best band ever. 
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Cohesive, atmospheric, almost a concept album. 

Matt and Jeff are freaking stars on this album. (and Josh Evans)

• Options
    epbadgerepbadger The Bronx, NY Posts: 654
    edited March 2020
    vito said:
    For me the weakest songs on Gigaton are still better then anything on LB and really I have not found one song that I would call weak or think about s
    ooooo! bold statement.
    when listening to LB did you skip mind your manners.... just saying
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,058
    jeffbr said:
    This has been on constant repeat for several days and I couldn't be more pleased with this album. It is what I hoped it would be. Some unmistakable Pearl Jam mixed in with some new twists and turns. I think it shows maturity and confidence. It also seems to be an album full of input from the entire band. Ed wrote some pretty deep lyrics and has some killer vocal deliveries (and I've been critical of his delivery lately), Mike slays with some amazing solos, Stone really shines and turns up the funkiness with Buckle Up, and Matt makes a statement on a number of songs. As a member of Team McCready I'm usually most effusive about Mike, but I'm reserving that for Jeff this time. Man did he show up. I loved his last solo record, and I think he brought a ton of ideas and creativity to this record. I'm not sure where it will ultimately fall in my album rankings (clearly above LB and BS and probably Avocado for me), and I know I currently have a newness bias going on, but this is an album that I haven't tired of with repeated listenings. Oh, and BIG thumbs up to Josh Evans who was a breath of fresh air and managed to turn a stale band into something fresh. Kudos. I appreciate Brendan's efforts over the years, but it feels like they'd been running in place for too long. Not anymore! I went for a drive today with this thing cranked loud and forgot about all of the bullshit we're dealing with for a brief time. This record is a needed escape, especially now.
    Well said @jeffbr !!  Matt and Jeff are huge on this record!
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
    jeffbr said:
    This has been on constant repeat for several days and I couldn't be more pleased with this album. It is what I hoped it would be. Some unmistakable Pearl Jam mixed in with some new twists and turns. I think it shows maturity and confidence. It also seems to be an album full of input from the entire band. Ed wrote some pretty deep lyrics and has some killer vocal deliveries (and I've been critical of his delivery lately), Mike slays with some amazing solos, Stone really shines and turns up the funkiness with Buckle Up, and Matt makes a statement on a number of songs. As a member of Team McCready I'm usually most effusive about Mike, but I'm reserving that for Jeff this time. Man did he show up. I loved his last solo record, and I think he brought a ton of ideas and creativity to this record. I'm not sure where it will ultimately fall in my album rankings (clearly above LB and BS and probably Avocado for me), and I know I currently have a newness bias going on, but this is an album that I haven't tired of with repeated listenings. Oh, and BIG thumbs up to Josh Evans who was a breath of fresh air and managed to turn a stale band into something fresh. Kudos. I appreciate Brendan's efforts over the years, but it feels like they'd been running in place for too long. Not anymore! I went for a drive today with this thing cranked loud and forgot about all of the bullshit we're dealing with for a brief time. This record is a needed escape, especially now.
    mentioned to someone today it’s their best since riot act. Jeff and Mike shine all over this record!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    TH223984TH223984 Posts: 8
    Apologizes, I received the wrong album.   I just received the one heard through your ears.  
  • Options
    sancknersanckner Posts: 20
    I avoided hearing the singles cause I like to hear the whole album at once. And last night I almost felt nervous. My mood has been, like everyone’s, so weird. I wasn’t sure I was in the right headspace to appreciate a new record. 

And then I listened. And remembered that these are the guys who’ve helped me through every up and down for nearly 30 years. I agree that it sounds quintessentially like PJ, and I am thankful. 

Can’t wait to hear it live with all of you. Wish it were tomorrow in Baltimore, but we’ve got some work to do and lives to save first. 
  • Options
    CridderCridder Posts: 165
    Slutttzzz,,,, I hate everyone and Ames Bros lol 
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,451
    epbadger said:
    vito said:
    For me the weakest songs on Gigaton are still better then anything on LB and really I have not found one song that I would call weak or think about s
    ooooo! bold statement.
    Mind your manners is the same 3 minute punk song they've been writing for 30 years and by the time they got to LB and it's BOB worn out production yes I don't ever have to hear it again. I haven't listened to LB in probably 4 years! This album destroys LB and BS!!
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 778
    This album grabbed me instantly much like Yield did. Front to back great album!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Classic album top to bottom. If you don’t feel something after Quick Escape, check your pulse! No rambling here, lyrics more in tune with right now than they have been the last two records. Ed is dialed in, more than ever before. Get the insert out and read them. Matt’s drums are off the fucking chain. Every band member is repped’ in this record. Gigaton sounds like Pearl Jam both past and present. Very grateful to have new music, what a birthday gift fellas, cheers! 
    Just stepping onto the porch in what seems like a generation to say FUCK YEAH to this. This is the follow-up to Avocado I've been waiting for.

B) 
  • Options
    CS160564CS160564 Posts: 34
    CS160564 said:
    Aaggh, I’m not getting it at the moment, what am I missing?  I love all PJ records but I’m struggling here.  I get the first 4 songs plus  ‘Never Destination’ but I’m going to do some serious listening over the weekend to dial in on these others.
    Right I’ve nearly worn my headphones out now.  The songs are so tonally layered that my mind was jumping all over the place on first few listens trying to second guess where the thing was heading.  Now after quite a few spins and the knowledge of where the melody/vocal tracks is heading, I have really started to dial into the songs.  
    I have to say the first side is very solid indeed.  I struggle with the first verse of ‘Alright’ which I’m not mad on lyrically to be honest, apart from that though a great A side...I need to do more listening to side B now as it falls away a bit for me right now.   I guess this is the beauty of great record, it’s the slow growers that you end up loving the most...would we have it any other way, what a bloody great band!!!
  • Options
    epbadgerepbadger The Bronx, NY Posts: 654
    vito said:
    epbadger said:
    vito said:
    ooooo! bold statement.
    Mind your manners is the same 3 minute punk song they've been writing for 30 years and by the time they got to LB and it's BOB worn out production yes I don't ever have to hear it again. I haven't listened to LB in probably 4 years! This album destroys LB and BS!!
    Pretty much agree...except for the same 3 minute punk song. Its nice to hear a new hard song that hangs with any hard PJ song since the beginning.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I love the album, but Quick Escape was just ehh for me. One of only about 3 or 4 I’m not in love with. Checking myself in the urgent care right now to see what’s wrong.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    mace1229 said:
    I love the album, but Quick Escape was just ehh for me. One of only about 3 or 4 I’m not in love with. Checking myself in the urgent care right now to see what’s wrong.
    :lol: QE is definitely a highlight for me 
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Cohesive, atmospheric, almost a concept album. 

Matt and Jeff are freaking stars on this album. (and Josh Evans)

+1
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,828
    Classic album top to bottom. If you don’t feel something after Quick Escape, check your pulse! No rambling here, lyrics more in tune with right now than they have been the last two records. Ed is dialed in, more than ever before. Get the insert out and read them. Matt’s drums are off the fucking chain. Every band member is repped’ in this record. Gigaton sounds like Pearl Jam both past and present. Very grateful to have new music, what a birthday gift fellas, cheers! 
    Hell yeah man.  I agree 100 percent!  Love this album.  
  • Options
    PolicemanPoliceman Posts: 61
    The Album has some unique qualities that really seem special. You can hear each band member’s influence on the album. Eddies lyrics seem to have perfect timing. Overall Gigaton is a Great Escape that we all needed! 
    Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    Yes, it does sound like Pearl Jam, and I love this album!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    I trust Ed & the boys this is where they are as a band right now this album is a gem totally totally worth the wait, thank you ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    Love this album - I hate that we had to wait for it but I'm glad it was worth it.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    Am I the only who had to hear this record handful of times for it to grow on me? That lasted all of 24 hours. Very solid effort. Quick Escape and Seven O’ Clock are standouts to me, but I love the cohesiveness of the album, holistically. To me, it is reminiscent of Yield (my favorite PJ album), the way it flows from front to back. I like it more with each listen, it seems.
  • Options
    crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 80
    It's always tricky for me to rate an album when it's new. Good albums continue to reveal things to you long after that first couple of listens. When a new PJ album comes out I WANT to like it so badly that it's difficult to be objective. When LB was new, I liked it a lot. Even with that, I think there were a few tracks that didn't click with me right off the bat (Infallible, Let the Records Play, Yellow Moon, Future Days).

So now Gigaton is here -- it's been 7 years, and my first listens come after nearly 2 solid weeks of being home for two solid weeks, and the world is most definitely in a crazy spot. So, is THAT why my first impressions are so favorable? Possibly. Time will tell how this holds up, but I do think the guys have put out a pretty good record. It won't displace any of their classic albums on my personal rankings, but that's OK. I'd much rather have a band try to keep it interesting than to just rehash the hits. My initial feeling is that this one is miles better than LB, and maybe the best since Binaural or Riot Act (cementing that standing will take time).

The first 4 tracks on this album make up a very solid side one. Alright's a bit of a grower for me, and I have trouble shaking that the intro sounds like one of those Rockabye Baby albums. Side two could use a rocker mixed into the slower songs but that's not to say there's a song I dislike in the bunch. Alright and Buckle Up are probably the two weakest for me in the early days of listening on repeat, but oddly those are also the two that I find bouncing around my head when I haven't been listening to the album. 7 O'Clock is another one that I initially thought sounded a little too much like an LB track, but the psychedelic bassline that pops up throughout the song elevates it for me.

One last thought - it feels like a more unified album than the last couple have. Backspacer (I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that is a really great album) and Lightning Bolt both felt like they were dominated by Eddie. This feels like a full band album much more than just a collection of riffs that the guys brought in for Eddie to put lyrics to.
  • Options
    tradrrrtradrrr Posts: 22
    edited March 2020
    I was looking forward to this album as an escape from what’s going on outside right now so I’ve been savoring it, listening to a song at a time while reading the lyrics. I’ll start by saying I like the album. There are some great songs on it and I think it represents the unsettling times in which we live: Sadness and confusion with hope at the end to get us through. 

To me the album sounds more like a collection of songs in different styles rather than a theme/flowing album. That’s not a knock, just a thought. The only song I don’t love is Buckle up. After reading the lyrics I can’t help but think this would be great lyrics to a really heavy, high tempo song. I’m thinking along the lines of Once or Evolution. 

I feel the album is very different than any of the others, but I like that the band is venturing out and trying new things. It gives me hope that they’ll be around for a lot longer. I just hope we don’t have to wait another 7 years for the next one!

Overall I do look forward to hearing these live. I think they’ll fit in nicely to an always amazing set list. 
    Post edited by tradrrr on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance I don't know you.  I don't know anything about you.  BUT I whole heartedly agree with this synopsis of the album.  I have listened to Gigaton more times than I can count at this point and each time I love each song even more.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    2-feign-reluctance I don't know you.  I don't know anything about you.  BUT I whole heartedly agree with this synopsis of the album.  I have listened to Gigaton more times than I can count at this point and each time I love each song even more.  
    Thanks for sparing me the task of typing exactly what you both said.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river