Personal Integrity...

Integrity...

Here's a word that means many things to many people. Here's the challenge (sort of, kind of) as it were... (WITHOUT looking up the official DEFINITION), express what personal integrity means, embodies etc. to you individually and how you've witnessed PJ/EV demonstrate it over the years. Ready... Go!

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,441
    Prior to the keys and the cuffs: Not kissing on the first date shows integrity (when upheld)!

On a personal note, I changed careers when I became a Mom and got a teaching license. My pipsqueak gets a kick out of it when kids in the community say, "Hi, Miss so-and-so"!
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717
    tish said:
    Prior to the keys and the cuffs: Not kissing on the first date shows integrity (when upheld)!

On a personal note, I changed careers when I became a Mom and got a teaching license. My pipsqueak gets a kick out of it when kids in the community say, "Hi, Miss so-and-so"!
    We live in a small town and my wife is a High School teacher. Everywhere we go, all I hear is "Hey Mrs. B!". 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    Integrity to me is that in the things you do your intentions and motives are pure. your intentions and motives are for the greater good. how it affects others is as important as it affects you.  you may not get every decision correctly but your intentions with the decision were made with pure intentions.

Ed and the boys do so much for charity.  there are just too many to list.
  • I know full well that you are not looking for smarty-pants quotes but for selfmade definitions, but I re-read one of the greatTravis-McGee-novels (The turquoise lament) just yesterday and the spot-on Passage in the text is too good to be kept under my hat: 
    Integrity is not a conditional word. It doesn‘t blow in the wind or change with the weather. It  is your inner image of yourself, and if you look in there and see a man who won‘t cheat, then you know, he never will.
  • I know full well that you are not looking for smarty-pants quotes but for selfmade definitions, but I re-read one of the greatTravis-McGee-novels (The turquoise lament) just yesterday and the spot-on Passage in the text is too good to be kept under my hat: 
    Integrity is not a conditional word. It doesn‘t blow in the wind or change with the weather. It  is your inner image of yourself, and if you look in there and see a man who won‘t cheat, then you know, he never will.
    Oh, but I do love this response! ❤👍😁
  • tish said:

Well by the simplicity of that statement, I have lots of integrity. 😌
  • Eddie could have written that. 
  • JV267526JV267526 Posts: 199
    To me it is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. You moral soundness as a person.
  • RiotAct41RiotAct41 Posts: 17
    Only buying three cases of toilet paper at the local Costco when you could theoretically buy four.
  • JV267526 said:
    To me it is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. You moral soundness as a person.
    Diggin this one too! 👍😁
  • RiotAct41 said:
    Only buying three cases of toilet paper at the local Costco when you could theoretically buy four.
    🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 I suppose considering the circumstances, that would be the truth.
  • Summersas79Summersas79 Posts: 89
    edited March 2020
    Eddie could have written that. 
    Yeah, sounds like something he could come up with in a song. Or did you mean something else entirely? 😊
    Post edited by Summersas79 on
    edited March 2020
    Well, I suppose it's time for my response. It's almost been a full day. So here goes. The official definitions of:

Integrity: 

1. The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

2. T
    he state of being whole and undivided.

For me personally, having integrity means always doing the right thing even if and sometimes especially because it is hard. It means sacrificing a lot of other things to maintain your sense of self. Who you are, what you stand for and believe in and even extends itself to the 'why' you are who you are. It's your reason for reason. For being. Without it, you may as well not be being here. No one can ever take it from you, but you can give it away and like so many other precious things... Once lost, you can never truly get it back.

In regards to how I've seen Ed and the guys show theirs over the years, there's so many instances I'd lose count. Charities yes. But, more than that. The times Ed has stood up for women, pro choice etc. The time the guys took on Ticket Master. The times Ed has expressed his politics. All the stories he's told us over the years. The fact that he has never once to my knowledge ever walked back ANYTHING he's ever said or done. Also, most recently that they all postponed the North American tour proving they put their fans health and welfare and their own at the top of their priority list. In my eyes and heart, Eddie Vedder is a paragon of integrity and that is what I admire and respect most about him. He's TRUE. His exquisite voice and damn fine looks come after. 😁😂

That about sums it all up for me. 
  • Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 238
    Honestly, this band shows more integrity - both in their music and personal lives - than any group I know. 

No matter the outcome, they took on Ticketmaster in an attempt to help their fans. 

They stopped videos and self-promotion at their peak and just stayed true to the music. 

They didn’t like fans paying too much for low-quality bootlegs, so they made virtually every show available. 

More than anything, they back up talk with actions. They’re the best!
    Yeah, sounds like something he could come up with in a song. Or did you mean something else entirely? 😊

This is exactly want I meant. John D MacDonald’ s passage sounds like a stanza in the song ‚Integrity‘ which Eddie has not written yet. 

This is exactly want I meant. John D MacDonald’ s passage sounds like a stanza in the song ‚Integrity‘ which Eddie has not written yet. 
    Lol, I like how you put that. "Integrity which Eddie has not written yet". Oh, but he will! Lol
  • These hard times give all of us a chance to step back and think about what is important in life and what is not; for a poet and Songwriter it is a chance to write visionary songs. Maybe ‚Integrity‘ will be one of them and you and I make it into the liner notes of the forthcoming double album with the very same title... 
  • These hard times give all of us a chance to step back and think about what is important in life and what is not; for a poet and Songwriter it is a chance to write visionary songs. Maybe ‚Integrity‘ will be one of them and you and I make it into the liner notes of the forthcoming double album with the very same title... 

Now that would be one of helluva priviledge! 😊👍❤
  • I am allowed to win a daydreaming-contest, am I? 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one else is watching.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,131
    Integrity shouldn't be personal, it should be universal.
  • 77777777 Posts: 163
    Always doing what is right.  Being whole.  Not having lost your light.  
  • I am allowed to win a daydreaming-contest, am I? 
    Always! Though, last time I checked... Daydreaming was never a contest. Just a simple pleasure. So, keep it up and NEVER stop dreaming! 😊😁👍🤙🤟❤
  • hedonist said:
    Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one else is watching.
    👍😌
    edited March 2020
    7777 said:
    Always doing what is right.  Being whole.  Not having lost your light.  
    Oh yeah! Let that lil light SHINE ON!!! 😁❤ We has a poet here, but did ya know it?
  • Integrity shouldn't be personal, it should be universal.
    I'm inclined to both agree and disagree with this. I feel it should be both universal and personal.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    I'm inclined to both agree and disagree with this. I feel it should be both universal and personal.
    If it were universal then it becomes personal by default.
    edited March 2020
    JW269453 said:
    If it were universal then it becomes personal by default.
    Not necessarily. Universal integrity would be one common strain. A generalization as it were. But, much more subtle things would influence tiny nuances and tweaks in personal integrity, effectively making it more than Universal for the individual.