How to get out of “Non-Refundable Reservations”

2»

Comments

• JP199922JP199922 Posts: 7
    Zod said:
    Alaska Air extended the no-fee cancellation period to April 30.   I was able to cancel my April 20 flight back from san fran.  Got all my points (and the $6) no problem.  They actually credited really quick.

I feel pretty lucky.   Usually I'm horrible for being cheap and choosing non-refundable things.   The only thing we're out on our PJ adventure as an $11 ferry reservation.   Hotel from RATM trip was fully refundable too.
    I also booked through Alaska and saw that they extended the no-fee cancellation period to April 30.  When I went to cancel on-line it still stated it was $125 and ask for my credit card info.  Did this happen to you and you just weren’t billed?  Thanks.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    Why people book non refundable to save $20 then complain about not getting a refund is beyond me.  That is the risk you take.  
    Bingo.  Took me all of three minutes to cancel four hotel reservations.  
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    edited March 2020
    Why people book non refundable to save $20 then complain about not getting a refund is beyond me.  That is the risk you take.  
    I agree with this for the most part, but this situation is unprecedented in any of our lifetimes. Normally it would be pretty reasonable to think there's basically no way you'd need to cancel your trip to see PJ 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    Why? If you’re talking about hotels then that’s $20 a night. That can add up when you’re 99% sure you’d be going. A global pandemic is one of the very few reasons I wouldn’t be going to a PJ show I paid for.  I had a flight on frontier that was $72 round trip, but they wanted $29 for insurance. Seemed kind of pointless to get the insurance at that price. 
    In most years you were stuck with a non refundable, non transferable ticket too. We’d have so much invested id be going even with the flu at that point.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    JP199922 said:
    Zod said:
    Alaska Air extended the no-fee cancellation period to April 30.   I was able to cancel my April 20 flight back from san fran.  Got all my points (and the $6) no problem.  They actually credited really quick.

I feel pretty lucky.   Usually I'm horrible for being cheap and choosing non-refundable things.   The only thing we're out on our PJ adventure as an $11 ferry reservation.   Hotel from RATM trip was fully refundable too.
    I also booked through Alaska and saw that they extended the no-fee cancellation period to April 30.  When I went to cancel on-line it still stated it was $125 and ask for my credit card info.  Did this happen to you and you just weren’t billed?  Thanks.

I had this happen with Delta when I first looked.
    A few hours later their $150 miles "restocking" was gone.
    Check back