How to get out of “Non-Refundable Reservations”

JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 385
As we’re all frustrated, yet understanding of the reasons why the tour has been postponed. Do we (collectively) have any solutions or techniques or contacts on how to get around these “non-refundable” reservations. 

I know myself having a non refundable hotel room is small compared to those with flights, vehicle rentals and their own hotel/air bnb rentals. But I find it hard to understand when I call the hotel to cancel and they tell me because it was booked through Travelocity, I need to go through them. So when I call Travelocity, they tell me they need to call the hotel to ask for an “exception” of course only to be told no. 

It feels as though they recognize the potential large revenue loss coming that they’re sticking it to the consumers. Are there any fine print things we can say to get out of these reservations or any contacts for people to call. As a collective whole here, let’s see what contacts we have and use our collective brains to help those who are going to be out the money these companies are stealing from us.  

Comments

• pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 612
    Correct. You need to go through travelocity. If first level says no, demand a supervisor. Explain why the reservation was made and why you now need to cancel. 

Now, they will probably strike your account, meaning 1 time courtesy notification put on it. 

I’ve had non-refundable rooms easily cancelled pre-virus. 
  • JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 385
    Correct. You need to go through travelocity. If first level says no, demand a supervisor. Explain why the reservation was made and why you now need to cancel. 

Now, they will probably strike your account, meaning 1 time courtesy notification put on it. 

I just got off the phone with the “first level” my next call is to a supervisor/manager this afternoon. It’s going to be a long process, but if they want my future business, they’ll do the right thing. I have another reservation through Travelocity as well to go see City and Colour. I may just cancel it now. 
  • JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    JBC7913 said:
    As we’re all frustrated, yet understanding of the reasons why the tour has been postponed. Do we (collectively) have any solutions or techniques or contacts on how to get around these “non-refundable” reservations. 

I know myself having a non refundable hotel room is small compared to those with flights, vehicle rentals and their own hotel/air bnb rentals. But I find it hard to understand when I call the hotel to cancel and they tell me because it was booked through Travelocity, I need to go through them. So when I call Travelocity, they tell me they need to call the hotel to ask for an “exception” of course only to be told no. 

It feels as though they recognize the potential large revenue loss coming that they’re sticking it to the consumers. Are there any fine print things we can say to get out of these reservations or any contacts for people to call. As a collective whole here, let’s see what contacts we have and use our collective brains to help those who are going to be out the money these companies are stealing from us.  

Just call the company. company will call hotel or airline and they will cancel free of charge. Happened for both my Nashville and Apollo shows
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,525
    I'm thinking of calling Alaska Air to see if they'd refund my points from my April 20th flight back from Oakland...... (without charging the $125 cancellation fee).
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    This is why I rarely book through priceline or travelocity. Unless you get one of those hidden deals, you can get the same rate going straight through the hotel 99% of the time. Even if they don't advertise it on the site (they usually do, it'll say "book now to save 20%" or something, which is the same price, or have a promo code somewhere on the page) but if they don't just call and say you are about to book on Priceline but would rather skip the middle man and they will almost always honor that price.
    I know it won't help for this trip. But in the future lt makes for things like cancelations much easier.

I use Priceline to see what hotels are out there, then book straight through the hotel for the same price. Only exceptions are when you don't know which hotel it is, you can find very good deals then (and you usually can tell which hotel it is by reading reviews and looking at amenities, taxes, resort fees, etc).
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    edited March 2020
    I got a refund pretty painlessly yesterday on a nonrefundable Hotwire "hot rate" hotel. I just said the event I was planning to attend was postponed due to corona, the rep put me on hold to contact the hotel (holiday inn), and it was approved. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • jamofpearlsjamofpearls Posts: 347
    Worse comes to worse, blast them on twitter (travel companies). 
    I once made a joke about Publix putting mayo on all their sandwiches, had them messaging me in minutes. Had to reassure them that no one had screwed up my sandwich, that it was a joke about how all their premade sandos (even cubans) have mayo on them.
    But yeah...twitter.
    98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
  • deuce1978deuce1978 Posts: 80
    I’m trying to get a refund for my hotel in St Louis (Westin via hotels.com). Both parties are making it very difficult.  Hotels.com called the Westin and refused the refund.  Then I called the Westin and they said it was hotels.com that was supposed to give the refund.  They said that third party websites buy hotel rooms and sell it to the customers.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Last time getting non refundable for me.... lesson learned.  
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    It wont help for this time, but I find the best rate, then CALL the hotel to book, they always have matched. I had no problem canceling with the hotel.
  • chilisuarezchilisuarez Posts: 110
    Anyone with any ideas for Air Transat? I've an 'Eco Budget' fare that isn't covered by their 'peace of mind' policy. They have shown zero empathy and have been extremely in-flexible, I can't get anything from them! 3 other Canadian airlines gave me future credits, Transat won't do anything. Has anyone else managed to get credits with them on the 'Eco Budget' fare? 
  • IlliniGuy76IlliniGuy76 Posts: 563
    JBC7913 said:

I just got off the phone with the “first level” my next call is to a supervisor/manager this afternoon. It’s going to be a long process, but if they want my future business, they’ll do the right thing. I have another reservation through Travelocity as well to go see City and Colour. I may just cancel it now. 
    "Listen this is really easy - I no longer have a reason to use this reservation for the international health crisis ongoing.  If you so choose not to cancel my reservation & provide me a refund, I'll simply contest the charges with my credit card company & they'll remove the charge"
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

RS65573 said:
    It wont help for this time, but I find the best rate, then CALL the hotel to book, they always have matched. I had no problem canceling with the hotel.
    Often the best rate is a (for example) hotwire hotdeal where you don't know the specific hotel before you book.

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• chilisuarezchilisuarez Posts: 110
    edited March 2020
    JBC7913 said:

"Listen this is really easy - I no longer have a reason to use this reservation for the international health crisis ongoing.  If you so choose not to cancel my reservation & provide me a refund, I'll simply contest the charges with my credit card company & they'll remove the charge"
    I just tried a chargeback with my credit card company and they will not. But this is in regards to my issue with Air Transat, posted above. A chargeback wasn't allowed in my case because it was in the fine print that my fare type wasn't covered. 
  • JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 385
    JBC7913 said:

That was my exact comment. I’ll be doing that if my conversation with a supervisor/manager doesn’t go well. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,948
    I imagine at some point the government will mandate that refunds be given.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    Only if there's some wide sweeping Government package to help those industries.  Airlines/cruises are taking a complete bath by offering full refunds - you're going to see much more significant cuts to service.

• PJfanJenPJfanJen Posts: 58
    Last night I called the hotel first, he said normally they would not let me cancel with a refund, but under the circumstances, they would do it for me. I had to call Priceline in order for them to complete the cancellation, but it all worked out for me. Good luck.
    1998--Alpine Valley, WI
    2000--Deer Creek Music Theater, Indianapolis, IN
    2003--U of I Assembly Hall, Champaign, IL
    2003--Alpine Valley, WI
    2006--United Center, Chicago
    2014--Moline, IL
    2016--Wrigley Show # 1
    2016--Wrigley Show # 2
    2020--Baltimore--Didn't happen
    2023--Chicago United Center Night 2
    2024--Chicago Wrigley Field Night 1
    2024--Chicago Wrigley Field Night 2
    PJfanJen said:
    Last night I called the hotel first, he said normally they would not let me cancel with a refund, but under the circumstances, they would do it for me. I had to call Priceline in order for them to complete the cancellation, but it all worked out for me. Good luck.
    They're giving everyone the line of "We normally wouldn't/can't do this, but we're doing it this time".  

edited March 2020
    Anyone with any ideas for Air Transat? I've an 'Eco Budget' fare that isn't covered by their 'peace of mind' policy. They have shown zero empathy and have been extremely in-flexible, I can't get anything from them! 3 other Canadian airlines gave me future credits, Transat won't do anything. Has anyone else managed to get credits with them on the 'Eco Budget' fare? 
    Say if they won't refund it you plan to take the flight and if you get sick as a result you'll hold them responsible 
    Post edited by SHZA on
    edited March 2020
    on2legs said:
    Only if there's some wide sweeping Government package to help those industries.  Airlines/cruises are taking a complete bath by offering full refunds - you're going to see much more significant cuts to service.
    Back in 2012 when Superstorm Sandy hit the jersey shore the insurance industry was ready to invoke the hurricane clause in everyone’s homeowners insurance which would have jacked everyone’s deductible up to 20% of the damages.  The state government stepped in and mandated that the clause not be invoked even though the storm met the technical definition of a hurricane due to wind speeds.   

I see a similar mandate coming regardless if there is a relief package for the travel industry.  There will be too much pressure on politicians not to make it so. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• MJ1685MJ1685 Northern California Posts: 21
    I was able to cancel my hotel reservations very easily and it was a non-refundable rate. I went to the website, completed an on-line chat and got my refund, didn't have to talk to anyone or be on the phone forever. I did not use one of those travel sites to book my reservation, just Marriot Bonvoy. 
    It's a wave building before it breaks
    [X]  San Francisco, California (September 30, 1991)
    [X]  San Francisco, California (May 15, 1992)
    [X]  Mountain View, California (November 01, 1992)
    [X]  San Francisco, California (October 28, 1993)
    [X]  San Jose, California (October 30, 1993)
    [X]  Reno, Nevada (December 02, 1993)
    [X]  San Francisco, California (June 24, 1995)
    [X]  San Jose, California (November 04, 1995)
    [X]  Oakland, California (November 14, 1997)
    [X]  Oakland, California (November 15, 1997)
    [X]  Oakland, California (November 18, 1997)
    [X]  Oakland, California (November 19, 1997)
    [X]  Sacramento, California (July 16, 1998)
    [X]  Sacramento, California (October 30, 2000)
    [X]  Mountain View, California (October 31, 2000)
    [X]  Mountain View, California (June 01, 2003)
    [X]  San Francisco, California (July 15, 2006)
    [X]  San Francisco, California (July 16, 2006)
    [X]  San Francisco, California (July 18, 2006)
    [X]  San Francisco, California (August 28, 2009)
    [X]  Oakland, CA (November 26, 2013)
    [X]  Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    [X]  Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    [X]  Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018)
    [X]  Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018)
    OAK N1 & N2 May 12-13, 2022
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Back in 2012 when Superstorm Sandy hit the jersey shore the insurance industry was ready to invoke the hurricane clause in everyone’s homeowners insurance which would have jacked everyone’s deductible up to 20% of the damages.  The state government stepped in and mandated that the clause not be invoked even though the storm met the technical definition of a hurricane due to wind speeds.   

I see a similar mandate coming regardless if there is a relief package for the travel industry.  There will be too much pressure on politicians not to make it so. 
    Insurance industry is heavily regulated at the state level. I'd be surprised if federal or state governments get involved in interfering with travel companies' existing contracts with their customers. 
    SHZA said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

Insurance industry is heavily regulated at the state level. I'd be surprised if federal or state governments get involved in interfering with travel companies' existing contracts with their customers. 
    I’m being bold and predicting it.  You heard it here first. 

• Delta and American airlines will waive the fee to redeposit miles into your account without much fight (said "events got cancelled from the virus, blah, blah, blah").  Took them about 7 hrs to call back though.
  • dcp3ydcp3y Posts: 818
    Obviously a refund is the best option, but a fallback middle ground may be credit toward a future trip and then rebook once the tour resumes.  You will want to be fast with the rebook so that there is availability when you do so.  Depends on if you can float the money or not in the meanwhile.  This would be better than completely losing out the money spent.  Good luck!  With major sporting events (NBA and NCAA) also cancelling public attendance, I imagine the travel industry is in complete disarray right now.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717
    I had two non refundable hotels, one in STL and one in OKC, through Hotels.com. They were able to get one refunded directly, but I had to contact the second one myself. Luckily they were good about it. From now on, I am spending the extra $ to make sure it is the refundable. A few extra dollars is worth it. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,268
    i have a feeling with schools across the country shutting down for weeks, major cities preparing for mass quarantines, everything will be refunded soon
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,525
    Alaska Air extended the no-fee cancellation period to April 30.   I was able to cancel my April 20 flight back from san fran.  Got all my points (and the $6) no problem.  They actually credited really quick.

I feel pretty lucky.   Usually I'm horrible for being cheap and choosing non-refundable things.   The only thing we're out on our PJ adventure as an $11 ferry reservation.   Hotel from RATM trip was fully refundable too.
  • blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    Why people book non refundable to save $20 then complain about not getting a refund is beyond me.  That is the risk you take.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Why people book non refundable to save $20 then complain about not getting a refund is beyond me.  That is the risk you take.  
    If you're talking airfare insurance, it's way more than $20.  I called American Airlines and they stated outright, they are honoring all travel reservations for March and April, with no change fee, as long as you book travel by December 31, 2020.  Funny thing is they will still probably get a bail out from the government.  But I don't care, I'm not out $500+ for a nonrefundable flight.