Options

No Free Speech on American College Campuses

Glad I went to college in the 1990s where there was a diversity of viewpoints and opinions.  Speakers with controversial viewpoints were a common occurrence as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNEyUsDprPY
Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
Denver 10-22-14

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    This has become all too common. Rather than disagreeing with the "controversial speaker" (it's usually just some ho-hum conservative like the woman in the video you posted), or holding a counter-event, they try to block the speaker from even speaking. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    i turned it off as soon as john stossel started talking. 

so you are upset your conservative rabble rouser kent state gun girl got run off of the campus. cry me a river. 

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    There was no way this was not going to be a response in this thread. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    do we really have to re-hash that "people are free to speak but they are also free to suffer consequences of that speech" again?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    funny how the trumpsters cheer when their leader forcibly removes someone from his rallies because they are shouting something he doesn't like, all the while spouting disappointment at not being allowed to beat the shit out of them, yet they get all snowflakey about not being able to speak on college campuses. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,177
    do we really have to re-hash that "people are free to speak but they are also free to suffer consequences of that speech" again?Like ANIFA consequences like beat the living shit out of you? 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    obligatory

Free Speech
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    obligatory

Free Speech
    the amount of people using "free speech" as their shield, while simultaneously not understanding what it means, is ASTOUNDING
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    CM189191 said:
    obligatory

Free Speech
    the amount of people using "free speech" as their shield, while simultaneously not understanding what it means, is ASTOUNDING

I imagine the venn diagram would overlap significantly with those who don't understand what well-regulated means, too
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    Like this doesn’t happen on the other side! Both sides do it get over it this is the divided America created by yrs of partisanship..and the number one instigator is the orange Baffoon!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 344
    edited March 2020
    Glad I went to college in the 1990s where there was a diversity of viewpoints and opinions.  Speakers with controversial viewpoints were a common occurrence as well. 

You can say that again about going to college in the 90’s....That clip was spot on about most college campuses, thanks 4 sharing it.   I spend way too much time around these rotten brain college nit wits who all seem to feel they are oppressed or owed something.  They are all on the Bernie “free shit” train so at least they are doing their part in Keeping America Great.  
    Post edited by lindamarie73 on
  • Options

You can say that again about going to college in the 90’s....That clip was spot on about most college campuses, thanks 4 sharing it.   I spend way too much time around these rotten brain college nit wits who all seem to feel they are oppressed or owed something.  They are all on the Bernie “free shit” train so at least they are doing their part in Keeping America Great.  

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758

so you are upset your conservative rabble rouser kent state gun girl got run off of the campus. cry me a river. 

I think it's really unfortunate that you wouldn't even give yourself the opportunity  to play it through and consider an alternative point of view. The professor being interviewed -- I've read one of her books several years ago when the country was reeling over the Baltimore riot. I don't necessarily agree that she should subtitle her campus talk "Why Police Are the Real Victims" (she's just asking for push-back with a title like that, in my view), but she does make a good point that people living in crime ridden neighborhoods deserve to be protected and live free from fear in their own homes. I also agree with her in this video that our current generation of young people do suffer from a victim-hood syndrome -- these kids, she says, live incredibly privileged lives on campuses with everything at their fingertips and somehow think of themselves as "oppressed" when they are among the most fortunate people who have ever lived in human history. I agree with those points. I don't think they are particularly difficult ideas to agree with. I'm pretty sick of the elite slice of this current generation coming up with their sense of entitlement, in general. I understand there are some hard-working young people out there, and 2/3 of high school grads don't go to college and have the luxury of protesting a speaker they don't agree with. Two-thirds of high school grads will never have what these young elites will have when they finish their degree that they don't want to pay for.  It really is disturbing, in my view, their obliviousness to their own privilege while they point figures at everyone else about their "oppression."  That's what I call "cry me a river."

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    Stossel is a nutter and has well earned rep over decades to ignore.
  • Options
    And this ^^^^ is why I wonder how people expect this democracy to survive. You're basically making the argument easy for "the nutters" to win. When you dismiss people instead of attacking the argument, you lose.  When you refuse to show up with the power of your ideas, you lose. Don't turn Stossel, et. al., off. Confront them face on and actually win an argument. 

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    And this ^^^^ is why I wonder how people expect this democracy to survive. You're basically making the argument easy for "the nutters" to win. When you dismiss people instead of attacking the argument, you lose.  When you refuse to show up with the power of your ideas, you lose. Don't turn Stossel, et. al., off. Confront them face on and actually win an argument. 

It's not worth the effort.  You don't argue with crazy/stupid, crazy/stupid doesn't lose.
    Does the force of argument matter to flat earthers, birthers, or orange girthers?
    Nope.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929

You can say that again about going to college in the 90’s....That clip was spot on about most college campuses, thanks 4 sharing it.   I spend way too much time around these rotten brain college nit wits who all seem to feel they are oppressed or owed something.  They are all on the Bernie “free shit” train so at least they are doing their part in Keep America Great.  
    Is anyone of them signal boosting made up bullshit that Greta Thunberg is part of ANTIFA ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rgambs said:

It's not worth the effort.  You don't argue with crazy/stupid, crazy/stupid doesn't lose.
    Does the force of argument matter to flat earthers, birthers, or orange girthers?
    Nope.
    ^this

• Options

I think it's really unfortunate that you wouldn't even give yourself the opportunity  to play it through and consider an alternative point of view. The professor being interviewed -- I've read one of her books several years ago when the country was reeling over the Baltimore riot. I don't necessarily agree that she should subtitle her campus talk "Why Police Are the Real Victims" (she's just asking for push-back with a title like that, in my view), but she does make a good point that people living in crime ridden neighborhoods deserve to be protected and live free from fear in their own homes. I also agree with her in this video that our current generation of young people do suffer from a victim-hood syndrome -- these kids, she says, live incredibly privileged lives on campuses with everything at their fingertips and somehow think of themselves as "oppressed" when they are among the most fortunate people who have ever lived in human history. I agree with those points. I don't think they are particularly difficult ideas to agree with. I'm pretty sick of the elite slice of this current generation coming up with their sense of entitlement, in general. I understand there are some hard-working young people out there, and 2/3 of high school grads don't go to college and have the luxury of protesting a speaker they don't agree with. Two-thirds of high school grads will never have what these young elites will have when they finish their degree that they don't want to pay for.  It really is disturbing, in my view, their obliviousness to their own privilege while they point figures at everyone else about their "oppression."  That's what I call "cry me a river."

no, i think it is pretty fortunate that i turned if off. thanks though.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It’s a shame that a reasonable and articulate response was poo-pooed as much as the link in the OP. 
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

I know I know why even bother because nothing would really matter or change minds. Colleges in the 90's when I went had protest for hard line viewers , again I always find it funny  ( Much like trump ) that these people will basically yell fire in a crowded movie theater and make the most inflammatory comments you can imaging and then act so surprised that they show up somewhere and people are there to protest ( looking at your Rush L as we did protest you coming to our campus in 1997 )

I am all for a civil discussion were those that have opposing views and figuring things out , I am not for those that have nothing but hate and again say high controversial opinions , also keep in mind most of them know there will be a protest but show up again for the whole " oh my , I just came here to speak nicely but you all hate me " and then they are picked up on fox.

I am sure Sean Hannity has a running list of guest ( Kent State Gun Girl ) who show up to just cause a ruckus but have no intention of ever having an actual debate with those with opposing view points.

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,609
    This has become all too common. Rather than disagreeing with the "controversial speaker" (it's usually just some ho-hum conservative like the woman in the video you posted), or holding a counter-event, they try to block the speaker from even speaking. 
    Is it really all too common or is this a fear driven narrative by the right wing, using anecdotal incidents,  to polarize society and create an enemy in the “educated elite”?  

I started college in 88 and there was always this nutjob preacher on the mall that would make the rounds at different schools. One day he had a gash on his head because someone threw a rock and hit him on the head at his previous stop at Indiana University. 
  • Options
    Is it really all too common or is this a fear driven narrative by the right wing, using anecdotal incidents,  to polarize society and create an enemy in the “educated elite”?  
    Or maybe this is a deflective narrative by you: suggesting it’s just a fear-driven narrative, dismissing incidents as “anecdotal,” and claiming that it’s meant to create an enemy. I’m not on the left or the right so I don’t want to judge narrative battles. But from my perspective, I’ve seen or read about enough of these incidents to believe there’s something to the right’s “narrative.”

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    Or maybe this is a deflective narrative by you: suggesting it’s just a fear-driven narrative, dismissing incidents as “anecdotal,” and claiming that it’s meant to create an enemy. I’m not on the left or the right so I don’t want to judge narrative battles. But from my perspective, I’ve seen or read about enough of these incidents to believe there’s something to the right’s “narrative.”
    Lots of references to the 90's and how accepting colleges were. How does anyone actually know that besides what they remember from their own experience? With the social media craze of the past 10 years and our current POTUS, everything is now blown up and given attention. I'm sure plenty of opposing crazy views were rejected in the 80's and 90's, the difference is that no one cared or gave the nut job a voice. The college said no and they went away or went back to their niche crowd that found their opinions in personally printed papers and brochures littered in the entry of the local establishment looking to draw in the free thinkers of the world. Now they can upload their own videos and tweet @ some like minded nut job with a high profile and then end up getting some media that feeds the narrative whichever way makes it more popular among the target audience.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    maybe these colleges aren't against conservatives per say, maybe just conservatives who have a high probability of inciting, or at least being a direct or indirect cause of violence?

do colleges routinely schedule antifa representatives to speak on campus?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    maybe these colleges aren't against conservatives per say, maybe just conservatives who have a high probability of inciting, or at least being a direct or indirect cause of violence?

They don't have to schedule them. They're already paid faculty in the humanities  departments.

Spoken like an English major of the 90s.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:

Nope.
    ^this

Except this particular speaker has published well-documented research about inner city crime, urban citizens' attitudes toward it, and police training and response to it. Wish I could remember the title of the book I read. It opened up a lot of thinking for me. Reading it didn't turn me into a hater of black people or less sympathetic to BLM or sway me to believe police are perfect enforcers of the law. It did help me understand the issues African Americans face in their neighborhoods, though, and how a large number of cities in America have successful programs in place to bring citizens and police together, which never makes the news.

It's so bizarre to me that supposedly well educated people would be so opposed to reading or having discussions with people with opposing viewpoints. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,609

They don't have to schedule them. They're already paid faculty in the humanities  departments.

Spoken like an English major of the 90s.
    I would think most professors are anti-fascist.