Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,948
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    Is Howard Stern still a thing?
    It's like people asking if Pearl Jam are still a thing
    Well... other than the fact that  I can actually listen to Pearl Jam on commercial radio I guess it’s the same thing. 
    Doesn't mean he's not relevant. And he left by choice
    Eh... I think his relevance is debatable.  Having a loyal following and being relevant are two different things.  It’s  not 1990 anymore.  Howard is the same age now that Johnny Carson was at his retirement. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    Well... other than the fact that  I can actually listen to Pearl Jam on commercial radio I guess it’s the same thing. 
    Eh... I think his relevance is debatable.  Having a loyal following and being relevant are two different things.  It’s  not 1990 anymore.  Howard is the same age now that Johnny Carson was at his retirement. 
    He still gets 2 or segments when he's on talk shows. He was also on AGT. 
    60s now is different than 60s then
    I miss igotid88
  • Irrelevant is being nice.
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    Not to someone who’s 20. You’re essentially making the same argument my grandmother would have made about Johnny Carson in 1985. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    Not to someone who’s 20. You’re essentially making the same argument my grandmother would have made about Johnny Carson in 1985. 
    Probably
    I miss igotid88
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    Saying Howard stern is irrelevant is a pretty bad take. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    I never said he was irrelevant.  

Someone said he was still relevant and I said that was debatable.  Please expand the quotes above to confirm.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:

Someone said he was still relevant and I said that was debatable.  Please expand the quotes above to confirm.
    It’s not really debatable imo. #1 paid guy in his profession by far, #1 book. Anytime he has an interview with somebody, something from the interview makes the news. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:

It’s not really debatable imo. #1 paid guy in his profession by far, #1 book. Anytime he has an interview with somebody, something from the interview makes the news. 
    Again... I’m not saying he’s not popular.  He’s clearly very popular. But that’s different than relevant. 

In the 90s he was hugely relevant. Radio show, tv show, movie, books, pay-per-view specials, and a host of people trying to imitate him. He truly was the king of all media.  Just not the case anymore.  

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:

Again... I’m not saying he’s not popular.  He’s clearly very popular. But that’s different than relevant. 

In the 90s he was hugely relevant. Radio show, tv show, movie, books, pay-per-view specials, and a host of people trying to imitate him. He truly was the king of all media.  Just not the case anymore.  
    I get your point. Can’t really argue. There’s no way to really measure exactly how responsible he was for taking Sirius from 600k subscribers to over 30 million. I’m sure he has something to do with that. Plus I can’t imagine any upcoming broadcaster not looking up to him. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:

I get your point. Can’t really argue. There’s no way to really measure exactly how responsible he was for taking Sirius from 600k subscribers to over 30 million. I’m sure he has something to do with that. Plus I can’t imagine any upcoming broadcaster not looking up to him. 
    I agree... the satellite radio gig was a huge risk and he proved that it could be done.  I don’t think anyone else could have pulled that off and he paved the way for so many other channels on satellite radio. 

• hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,086
    It's funny to hear people say he is the greatest interviewer ever. It sounds like he is trying to be the guests therapist/psychiatrist to me. 
    Also, guests absolutely dictate what is brought up. Hillary Clinton was case in point. Nothing on Bill's promiscuous lifestyle. 
    Going into Bill's cheating wouldn't have gone anywhere. Going into how they met was something new that was much more interesting. 

Just think about your friends. Isn't it more interesting to hear how they met and dated rather than hear how the wife walked in on him getting some attention from the babysitter? 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Eh.  no on real need to.  I cannot stand Stern either so please.....no.
    May I ask why? 
    Sure.  When he interviews he constantly interrupts.  Ruins the interviews I have heard.  Always bragging on himself.  And his schtick just isn’t something I find funny or entertaining.  Maybe if I was from NY or something but I am not.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Howard is the best interviewer of all time. Long gone are his days of shock interviews and now has the long form conversations that lead to greatness. Howard is not an idiot. And is a fan of the band. I think the interview would go great. Some good laughs and some insightful questions. It would be win win for all involved. 
    Agree with this.
    Just go on youtube and watch/listen to Hillary Clinton interview to see how good he is.
    Biggest softball interview ever.  Asked zero hard questions of her.  Acted like a fanboy.  The reason for them NOT to go on there.  Yeah.....that is why a hard pass 
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Harvey Leeds is or was friends with both Stern and Pearl Jam management.  At least years ago.  They really need to do a Town Hall Special ala the Billy Joel Stern Show Town Hall and have a 2 hour live special the week of the Apollo show.

Believe me, nothing would make me smile more than Boom Gaspar and Elegant Elliott Offen jamming out together on the piano.
  • hihobibo said:
    It's funny to hear people say he is the greatest interviewer ever. It sounds like he is trying to be the guests therapist/psychiatrist to me. 
    Also, guests absolutely dictate what is brought up. Hillary Clinton was case in point. Nothing on Bill's promiscuous lifestyle. 
    Going into Bill's cheating wouldn't have gone anywhere. Going into how they met was something new that was much more interesting. 

Just think about your friends. Isn't it more interesting to hear how they met and dated rather than hear how the wife walked in on him getting some attention from the babysitter? 
    I feel like there are a lot of people out there who wonder why a women would stay with a man who does those things. But the answer will always be power, and no one is going to want that brought up. The point is, I am sure she said stuff was off limits. Then it basically turned into a smooch fest as others have alluded to. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
    Love the difference between this thread and the Joe Rogan one. You can really tell the age disconnect with PJ fans  :D
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:

Hahahaha so you debate he is still relevant but don’t think he is irrelevant? Got it.
    hippiemom = goodness
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:
    igotid88 said:
    on2legs said:

Hahahaha so you debate he is still relevant but don’t think he is irrelevant? Got it.
    Yes... that’s exactly what I’m doing.  I’m not putting the guy down.  Just not buying that a 66 year old guy is the same mover and shaker he was 30 years ago. He’s very talented at entertaining people but his days of moving the needle significantly are long gone.  

Yes... he had a #1 book, but it was out of the Top 100 books on Amazon within a month.  That suggests a loyal fan base that grabbed the book the minute it went on sale but it never went beyond that with casual or non fans.  

He’s a lot like Pearl Jam at this point.  A talented performer with a huge loyal fan base but not many people outside that base have any real idea of what either one is up to these days.  I expect Gigaton to have a strong debut due to die hard fans grabbing it up, but it will quickly fade from the top of the charts.   

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    Definitely an age issue/difference here.

I'm an old fart who has listened to Howard for almost 39 years and PJ for 29.
    Meanwhile I have never listened to a Joe Rogan podcast. 

Now where's my Metamucil