PJ on the Joe Rogan Experience

Comments

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    EarlWelsh said:
    if I had to choose one member to go on, it would be stone. I think he'd be the best representative of the group as a whole. 

and he could bring waffles. 
    I think they could pull off a few members to be honest. Maybe Stone, Eddie, and Jeff? I don’t know. Hard to say. Mike is a great personality, too. If I had to pick one I’d go with Jeff.
    I can't see Ed ever going on JRE. don't know the man obviously, but for some reason I can't envision it. 
    I agree, though I’d like to see it happen. Could be a disaster.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Joe Rogan is a piece of shit.   He legitimizesn racism and bigotry, homophobia, among other things by having far right assholes on his show.  He does this under the veil of "getting both sides of the argument".   

Its wrong.  Fuck that guy. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • I love JRE. I've always wanted a band member to go on. Eddie has had many of his friends make appearances: Bill Maher, Kelly Slater, Josh Homme, Laird Hamilton, Gabrielle Reece. I know this doesn't mean Eddie or any of the guys would do it, but it gives me a glimmer of hope. While I personally like Rogan I can understand those who dislike or disagree with him and I respect those opinions.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Joe Rogan is a piece of shit.   He legitimizesn racism and bigotry, homophobia, among other things by having far right assholes on his show.  He does this under the veil of "getting both sides of the argument".   

Vedd Hedd said:

Ahahaha! I love it. I really didn’t even have to ask.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Vedd Hedd said:

that seems like an incredibly low bar for what should be deemed as a "piece of shit". like, seriously, he seems like a pretty awesome guy. very intelligent, ADMITS WHEN HE'S IGNORANT OF SOMETHING, and just genuinely likes talking to people. 

I find anyone who criticizes JR this harshly, knows the surface of his podcast (who he has on, who is outraged by it, and so on) but hasn't taken the time to really delve into who he is and what he's about. 

he had Jack Dempsey (twitter Jack) on for instance. He was under intense pressure to ask him tough questions about censorship, and trump, and all of this, but he just wanted to have a conversation with the guy. he admitted later than when he looked back at that episode, that maybe his questions were in fact softballs, and would like a do over, but he also hates that his podcast is now under this pressure at all. he started it out of nothing just to shoot the shit with friends and comedians in his basement. it grew past anything he ever imagined, and honestly states he wishes it hadn't. he says he is no longer going to have political figures on, because the pressure is too intense. he's not a journalist; he's not all that overtly political, he just talks about what he likes to talk about. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

How many times has Alex Jones, or Milo Yiannopolous been on his show?  Yeah, I don't want Pearl Jam to go on that same show. 

And its not like what Howard Stern was doing, when he had on Klan members and would expose them for the idiots they are.   

Rogan offers these people a platform, and willingly or unwilingly, legitimizes their viewpoints as "opinions" and ends up giving them more followers. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Rogan> Echo Chambers.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    How many times has Alex Jones, or Milo Yiannopolous been on his show?  Yeah, I don't want Pearl Jam to go on that same show. 

And its not like what Howard Stern was doing, when he had on Klan members and would expose them for the idiots they are.   

Rogan offers these people a platform, and willingly or unwilingly, legitimizes their viewpoints as "opinions" and ends up giving them more followers. 
    Well, they are opinions, no matter how grotesque you or I may find them. And i would argue having people like Milo or Alex on exposes them further for who they are. Rogan’s podcast played A role in the eventual unraveling of Milo’s career and Joe’s made it clear that he feels Alex (whom he does refer to as an old friend) is completely out of his fucking mind.
    edited February 2020
    Vedd Hedd said:

I see your point. There are definitely unintended negative consequences to this, and I can cite a personal experience as one. Jordan Peterson: I didn't know who this guy was until I saw him on the podcast. I watched the entire thing (JRE podcasts can range anywhere between 1-3 hours), and I honestly thought "ok, this guy seems intelligent, and he has some views on PC culture that, while I may air on the more liberal side of things, I see what he's saying". Well, Jordan obviously purposely went "light" on that show. I did some research on him after the podcast and I was appalled at his actual views. 

I also wish he would ask some tough questions of some of his guests; like when he had Ted Nugent on; grill that fucker about becoming the legal guardian of a child so he could rape and marry her. 

on the same token, this isn't a closed set with security. this is where he lives and it's just him and a guest(s). if he pisses someone off and they go ape on him, it's one on one in his cave and there are legitimate weapons down there. 

So I get where you're going. I just don't think it warrants being called a POS. He seems like a genuinely very nice person. 

He considers Alex Jones a friend. he also knows he's a wildly controversial figure, but he also states that he knows a different AJ than the public does, and he honestly believes that Alex is mentally ill and needs help. 

Milo was an odd one. But again, I think Joe just likes talking to people so much, that he enjoys eccentric people like milo as much as he likes neil de grasse tyson. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Vedd Hedd said:

I see your point. There are definitely unintended negative consequences to this, and I can cite a personal experience as one. Jordan Peterson: I didn't know who this guy was until I saw him on the podcast. I watched the entire thing (JRE podcasts can range anywhere between 1-3 hours), and I honestly thought "ok, this guy seems intelligent, and he has some views on PC culture that, while I may air on the more liberal side of things, I see what he's saying". Well, Jordan obviously purposely went "light" on that show. I did some research on him after the podcast and I was appalled at his actual views. 

I also wish he would ask some tough questions of some of his guests; like when he had Ted Nugent on; grill that fucker about becoming the legal guardian of a child so he could rape and marry her. 

on the same token, this isn't a closed set with security. this is where he lives and it's just him and a guest(s). if he pisses someone off and they go ape on him, it's one on one in his cave and there are legitimate weapons down there. 

So I get where you're going. I just don't think it warrants being called a POS. He seems like a genuinely very nice person. 

He considers Alex Jones a friend. he also knows he's a wildly controversial figure, but he also states that he knows a different AJ than the public does, and he honestly believes that Alex is mentally ill and needs help. 

Milo was an odd one. But again, I think Joe just likes talking to people so much, that he enjoys eccentric people like milo as much as he likes neil de grasse tyson. 
    Curious what views of Peterson’s that you found to be appalling.
    EarlWelsh said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Well, they are opinions, no matter how grotesque you or I may find them. And i would argue having people like Milo or Alex on exposes them further for who they are. Rogan’s podcast played A role in the eventual unraveling of Milo’s career and Joe’s made it clear that he feels Alex (whom he does refer to as an old friend) is completely out of his fucking mind.
    I was actually going to say this exact same thing, that sometimes I think giving these people a platform does more to expose them than it does to promote them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2020
    Vedd Hedd said:
    rogan also adheres to the unwritten rules of comedy: nothing is off limits. he admits to saying racist things when trying to be funny. he (and to my knowledge, most other professional comedians, regardless of race) agree with this sentiment, that all comedy has no limits. when you put limits on it, it ceases to be genuine. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Right...but you are comparing Milo to Neil de Grasse Tyson....as if those are almost different sides of the same coin.  See how tricky this is?

By saying, "But he also has on guys like Neil DeGrasse Tyson" that legitmizes Milo.  As if, "Hey everyone has an opinion....lets talk to this racist guy today, and let him have some air time".   And if he is a person friend of Alex Jones.....i DEFINITELY dont want Pearl Jam on there. 

Keep in mind....Howard Stern did this WAY WAY differently....he actively sought to make people like that look like fucking morons....Rogan makes them seem human, and "Just a different opinion".   

And I would not want Pearl Jam on Howard Stern, either.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    And Rogan himself...in that clip i posted...

He was going to see "planet of the apes" and got tickets in a black neighborhood and said, "Dude we walked INTO Planet of the apes!  We walked into AFRICA!"

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    EarlWelsh said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Curious what views of Peterson’s that you found to be appalling.
    appalled might be too strong a word. maybe surprised, given the 2 or so hours I watched of him didn't touch on any of the subjects he's noted for.

but I could consider him a pretty strong misogynist. and he's an admitted climate change denier. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Vedd Hedd said:
    Right...but you are comparing Milo to Neil de Grasse Tyson....as if those are almost different sides of the same coin.  See how tricky this is?

By saying, "But he also has on guys like Neil DeGrasse Tyson" that legitmizes Milo.  As if, "Hey everyone has an opinion....lets talk to this racist guy today, and let him have some air time".   And if he is a person friend of Alex Jones.....i DEFINITELY dont want Pearl Jam on there. 

Keep in mind....Howard Stern did this WAY WAY differently....he actively sought to make people like that look like fucking morons....Rogan makes them seem human, and "Just a different opinion".   

i wasn't comparing, I was noting the different type of guests he has on. milo is eccentric, neil de grasse tyson is the boring scientist. not the same coin at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Vedd Hedd said:
    And Rogan himself...in that clip i posted...

He was going to see "planet of the apes" and got tickets in a black neighborhood and said, "Dude we walked INTO Planet of the apes!  We walked into AFRICA!"

i didn't watch the clip, i'm at work. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Vedd Hedd said:

i wasn't comparing, I was noting the different type of guests he has on. milo is eccentric, neil de grasse tyson is the boring scientist. not the same coin at all. 
    Thats what I mean.   Having them both on makes the eccentric one legit. 

Here is a distingushed scientist, lets hear what he has to say. 

Here is a racist, lets hear what he has to say.  

then..."Well everyone can form their own opinions".   Milo got a platform.   Alex Jones got a platform.  

I still cant get over the fact that Rogan called a theater full of black people "Planet of the Apes" and "Africa".   I mean...yeah, he corrected himself....because obviously.  But that gives a glimpse into his psyche.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

then..."Well everyone can form their own opinions".   Milo got a platform.   Alex Jones got a platform.  

I still cant get over the fact that Rogan called a theater full of black people "Planet of the Apes" and "Africa".   I mean...yeah, he corrected himself....because obviously.  But that gives a glimpse into his psyche.  
    why does it legitimize anything? it's a podcast, not the ABC nightly news with dan rather. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 537
    what's funny about Joe with music guests, at least the last few that come to mind for me (Josh Homme, Maynard James Keenan) he kinda goes off topic and probably wouldnt do a great job diving into Gigaton. I guess in a sense it's cool to hear the band talk about other stuff but i could definitely see a lot of people being pissed they didnt get a ton of hardcore Gigaton/PJ talk. I love Rogan though and listen to most episodes so it would be great to have the guys on for 2+ hours
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

why does it legitimize anything? it's a podcast, not the ABC nightly news with dan rather. 
    Nobody should be putting known racists like that on their shows.  

And his podcast is huge. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • kotton_crownkotton_crown Posts: 211
    edited February 2020
    Vedd Hedd said:
    After watching that clip he doesn’t seem to be racist. It seems the point of that story is don’t believe bad stereotypes.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    what's funny about Joe with music guests, at least the last few that come to mind for me (Josh Homme, Maynard James Keenan) he kinda goes off topic and probably wouldnt do a great job diving into Gigaton. I guess in a sense it's cool to hear the band talk about other stuff but i could definitely see a lot of people being pissed they didnt get a ton of hardcore Gigaton/PJ talk. I love Rogan though and listen to most episodes so it would be great to have the guys on for 2+ hours
    Loved his conversation with Maynard. It was exactly that. 
    Vedd Hedd said:
    After watching that clip he doesn’t seem to be racist. It seems the point of that story is don’t believe bad stereotypes.
    Here is the transcript from that clip. 

"We wanted to go see planet of the apes. So i look on the iPhone app and it says, "ok take me to this one". And the guy goes ok, and I go "is that in a good neighborhood?" He's like, "Oh yey yey yey yey".  "Guy barelys speaks english."  (This is him making fun of someone with the accent.)
    "He takes us there, we get out, and we're giggling "we are going to see planet of the apes."...."WE WALK IN TO PLANET OF THE APES.  We walked INTO Africa! No white people there"

Then he goes on to say it was a fine experience, etc....

Dude....Joe, you just said you walked into PLANET OF THE APES, INTO AFRICA. 

Then he goes on to say, "This is not a negative story".  And then talks about how he enjoyed the experience. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138

Joe Rogan isn't racist. He's a comedian that makes jokes, possibly jokes that aren't your cup of tea. Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle both have jokes mocking white people. I laugh, it's hilarious. I laugh because I know it's not meant to be racist, I know it's a joke, and I can find humor in it.

If Rogan was really racist, why would he allow on so many people of other races and why would those people of other races agree to on a podcast ran by someone racist?

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

edited February 2020
    yeah, no, rogan isn't racist. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    edited February 2020
    Generally speaking, I enjoy a lot of his interviews and him as a person, seems like a really cool dude. However, giving those on the far right a platform isn't bad if you do a good job as an interviewer to push and challenge them when they say clearly stupid things - oftentimes I find myself frustrated when he doesn't do that, and he doesn't do that most of the time, unfortunately. 

On the topic of the band going on there, I'd listen for sure, that'd be cool. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
    mschostok said:
    Generally speaking, I enjoy a lot of his interviews and him as a person, seems like a really cool dude. However, giving those on the far right a platform isn't bad if you do a good job as an interviewer to push and challenge them when they say clearly stupid things - oftentimes I find myself frustrated when he doesn't do that, and he doesn't do that most of the time, unfortunately. 

On the topic of the band going on there, I'd listen for sure, that'd be cool. 
    i agree with all of this. i wish he'd challenge them more, but understand why he doesn't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Joe Rogan isn't racist. He's a comedian that makes jokes, possibly jokes that aren't your cup of tea. Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle both have jokes mocking white people. I laugh, it's hilarious. I laugh because I know it's not meant to be racist, I know it's a joke, and I can find humor in it.

If Rogan was really racist, why would he allow on so many people of other races and why would those people of other races agree to on a podcast ran by someone racist?

"I have lots of black friends!"
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.