Options

New LP price is way too expensive

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,152
    mace1229 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Thirty years ago at my local record store, a vinyl album typically went for $7.99 and a CD typically went for $11.99.  Today, the CD can still be had for $11.99 but vinyl costs at least twice that (three times in the case of Gigaton).  It's an interesting economics case study.
    That must have been right when prices change. I first remember buying new vinyl in the mid 90s about 25 years ago, I think I paid about $15 for Ten new.
    But that makes sense, isn't the late 80s about the time vinyl wasn't so popular? SO prices were cheap/. Just like cassette tapes, even though they were more expensive to make in the 90s, they were cheaper than CDs to buy.
    I'm thinking of the time in the late '80s/early '90s when CDs began to supplant vinyl, but before vinyl was being phased out.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Everything is expensive now days. tickets, vinyl , toilet paper , wine, drugs. 
    Beef tenderloin, gas, milk, hookers
    Only if you're picky.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    edited February 2020
    There's also scale.  Vinyl sold way way way more copies in it's hey dey (60s through 80s).   There must of been some manufacturing savings due the quantity being produced.

When 10000 or 20000 is a large pressing size and albums used to sell in the 100's of thousands.. it must make it cheaper when your pumping out more (cheaper per unit). 

The crazy thing I find is that all the records seem to be produced on old equipment.  IE no one makes new equipment for pressing records.  It's also old/restored tech.    I suppose it doesn't generate enough revenue to cover buying/developing new machines :(

I do feel like more popular artists get a little more compensation.   I've seen plenty of $20 albums for smaller bands, and lots of $30 or $40 records for bigger bands.   The demand for bigger bands must allow them to charge more.  If they move 15k copies. and charged an extra $15 each.  That's $225,000 between however band members there are?  that's not to shabby.  Except for the fact they probably pull in that each for a single concert :)
  • Options
    I’m still kicking myself for paying over $40 for Easy Street with shipping through the club. At least Let’s play two included some bonus goodies from 10c.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited February 2020
    How come the new vinyl is so expensive ? 

34.99$ US ?

I hope there is no song about capitalism on their new album., because I will need good explanations ! 

Sorry.. I have been buying and collecting records for the last 15 years, and now prices don't make senses anymore. 

my opinion... 

Totally agree, this seems overpriced. Here in the UK its expensive everywhere so the wholesale price must be high. Im sure the label know how much PJ fans are willing to pay and priced it accordingly. I bought Springsteen Live in New York 3LP for £23.99 on Amazon, the Rising is £22 for a 2LP yet Gigaton is £39.99 (around $52). Tempted to wait for 6 months when it drops to £20 but I know I wont. I know I dont have to buy it but I have every record the band put out so I guess theres your answer to why its pricey. Very little to do with materials unless a portion goes to planting trees or something.
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    You can’t really compare the cost of a new album with a repress.  Plus the price of this will fluctuate a lot.  You’ll be able to get it in the $20s on amazon at some point, 
    Looks like you got a good price on that 3xlp Springsteen but that wasn’t the retail at all which is what people are complaining about.  There will be plenty of opportunities to buy this below retail if you are patient, but then again most PJ fans seem to not be
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,141
    I paid like 50 for a craigslist hooker in Raleigh back in 2012- prices may have gotten higher now though.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 381
    i went to sunrise records last friday. Lightning Bolt was $89.99. 

you read that right. $90. 
    Saw that myself today there. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    JBC7913 said:

That makes no sense?  It's not out of print or anything? 
  • Options
    JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 381
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:

All I can think of is the packaging on it is pretty cool. But where there’s a buyer willing to pay, there’s a seller willing to sell at higher prices. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    edited February 2020
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:

sunrise has proven criminal. when the new tool cd deluxe package came out, it was $69.99. i passed on it. i went there the next week again (for something else) and at the checkout i noticed the price was $89.99, and the clerk told me point blank it's because they figured out what the demand was. i couldn't believe it. i'd never seen that from a music store before. 

my guess is with a new record coming out, they know the demand for pj vinyl is going to be high, so they doubled the price on it. fucking crooks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,317
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:

sunrise has proven criminal. when the new tool cd deluxe package came out, it was $69.99. i passed on it. i went there the next week again (for something else) and at the checkout i noticed the price was $89.99, and the clerk told me point blank it's because they figured out what the demand was. i couldn't believe it. i'd never seen that from a music store before. 

my guess is with a new record coming out, they know the demand for pj vinyl is going to be high, so they doubled the price on it. fucking crooks. 
    The new tool cd has a video and usb charge
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I almost think that if the price of "x" is "$XXX", and you don't like it, then don't buy "x".  And if you do like it, or are OK with the price, buy it.  It seems like announcing that you think something is more than you want to pay, is trolling for likes, just like facebook.  Sometimes it is OK to not like the price of something, and move on, and keep it to yourself, and not announce it as if someone else cares what you think.
  • Options
    Good comment^^ like
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    edited February 2020
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:

From Sunrise Records ..

• Options
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:

From Sunrise Records ..

LB is about 30$ US, MINT condition, on Discogs.

It's not that far ago that companies were begging people to stop downloading mp3s over Internet.

Everybody knew it was a scam, and bands were doing about 1-1.50$ on every 20$-25$ albums sold. 

Now that more vinyls are sold than CDs, the wheel starts to roll again ! 

-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • Options
    KM73780KM73780 Posts: 1,035
    Surprise surprise, someone on this forum complaining about something. You don’t like the price, don’t buy it. It’s not complicated. 
  • Options
    KM73780 said:
    Surprise surprise, someone on this forum complaining about something. You don’t like the price, don’t buy it. It’s not complicated. 
    Agreed....although--if this was the red variant, this price would be a bargain....
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Because PJ fans are crazy and will pay any amount for anything.
  • Options
    One of my favorite things about this whole forum is the amount of people complaining about others who complain, and tell them to keep their opinions to themselves if they want to complain. DO they not see the irony in that? Its on almost every thread, so I'm guessing they really don't.
  • Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited February 2020
    mace1229 said:
    One of my favorite things about this whole forum is the amount of people complaining about others who complain, and tell them to keep their opinions to themselves if they want to complain. DO they not see the irony in that? Its on almost every thread, so I'm guessing they really don't.
    Do you mind if I complain about you complaining about people who complain about people complaining?  :)
    And prefacing the complaint with "one of my favorite things" is kind of a passive aggressive way of complaining---btw, all tongue in cheek...
    Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Do you mind if I complain about you complaining about people who complain about people complaining?  :)
    And prefacing the complaint with "one of my favorite things" is kind of a passive aggressive way of complaining---btw, all tongue in cheek...
    I don't mind. But really, it wasn't a passive aggressive way to complain. I think its funny and get entertainment out of reading it.
    How many times has someone said "If you don't like the price, don't buy it. No one cares about your opinion." Or the equivalent on any number of other threads. "Stop complaining about the missing singles, if you don't like what the 10C is doing then leave. No one cares about your opinion."  I find the irony in it funny.
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    edited February 2020
    Keep in mind that the tenclub is offering 2 LPs AND a 7”. Gotta compare apples to apples when you’re price comparing.  
  • Options
    Keep in mind that the tenclub is offering 2 LPs AND a 7”. Gotta compare apples to apples when you’re price comparing.  
    Yes. But just the 2 LPs (or 1.5) is $35, which is what was originally stated.
    It does seem a little pricey, but I'm not going to let $5 get in the way of not having a complete PJ vinyl collection (minus Benny, LD and 2 Legs).
    Other bands, yeah, I'd let 5 or $10 get in the way of buying Live's Throwing Copper or some other album I've been searching for.
  • Options
    Lighting Crashes sidebar: If placentas are falling on the floor, that's a shitty hospital
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Lighting Crashes sidebar: If placentas are falling on the floor, that's a shitty hospital
    Right?!  There’s some good cord blood in there!
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,141
    You guys are making me hungry
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    I could write a whole page about all the horrors that went on with our first kid. The placenta falling to the floor would haven't even have been worth mentioning. 
  • Options
    School is free in here, and we've been in the streets every 4 years in order to keep to it free for anyone.

School is expensive in some other countries.. and we get more students from those country moving here for school.

You have the right to complain, which does not mean you will start a fight for it. 

I personally think 44 Canadian dollars for 2 LPs is expensive.. And I know I am right... although I will still buy it. 

If you're not happy with my opnion, just buy it, pay the price and life goes on. Tomorrow it will be another 5$ more and you will pay it again without complains.. Thats how it work I guess ! 

-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • Options
    Well, it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would Mike McCready do?"

I think he'd buy it and then rip off a face-melting solo.