Rocks, fossils, meteorites

Hi,

I'm a geologist and a huge Pearl Jam fan lol... but let's use this AET topic for this idea:

I want to hear from you if you think you've found a meteorite. I want to talk to any meteorite enthusiasts on this forum.

If you think you or someone you know has found a meteorite, let's go through the process. I'm happy to help determine what your rock is.

As the title suggest, feel free to show us any of your rocks and fossils.

Cheers :)
Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Never found a meteorite, but I have a few coprolites lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • I'll be interested in this!  Always wanted to take a metal detector out in the desert!
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    No meteorites, but have lots of other rocks and such.  Mainly Lake Superior agates. A few are in the 1-2 lb range.  Used to sneak into gravel pits in northern MN, smoke dope and wander around for hours looking agates.
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    you three are awesome. Let's chat.

rgambs: I bought my first coprolite two years ago. They are awesome because... well.... poop!

Tempo: If you live anywhere near dry lake beds in the Nevada / California area, you fucking let me know. I have some wisdom to share with you.

jerparker. lol ....I love that story so much. Share some images of these mega agates!! 
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

Here’s a nice laker. 18oz.
    edited February 2020
    Holy sweet potato! I love it. I'd be all up in that collecting there for sure! I was on the northern shores of Lake Superior in 2007. Dangit anyways, I found a bunch of gossanous boulders (rusted, sulphide-bearing... aka pyrite aka fools gold - I say the common words for I feel most people won't know the geological terms lol) that I brought back to Saskatchewan. 
    But dang, if you're finding agates like that, please, continue to share more sweet images.

Post edited by evsgjamm on

• Thats amazing.  I would like to see more pictures for sure
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    No meteorites, but my wife and I found several trilobite fossils in southern Nevada years ago.  It's fascinating to hold in one's hand a sort of foot print from something that lives so many, many years ago.

We also like polishing rocks.  Haven't done a batch in a while, but we have little bowls filled with beautiful polished rock here and there in the house and have given many away.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I would  like to polish a rock. I never thought  of it. What do you use 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

Here’s a cut and face polished Lake Superior agate. This one has what is referred to as “shadow banding”. Hard to see in the picture, but light creates a shadow effect in the banding and the appearance of depth in the rock.

My father is way more into agates/rocks. He has saws, face polishing equipment, tumblers, display cases filled with finished agates, and dozens of 5 gallon buckets filled with agates. It’s a bit much.
    I must meet your dad lol. 
    Man..... like fuck.... that agate is sexy as shit!
    @lastexitlondon you would need to get either a tile cutting saw or an actual rock saw to begin getting results like jerparker has. Look up "lapidary" in your classifieds and maybe you'll find something. Keep an eye out. Hit up youtube for ideas.  Once a rock is cut open, you can either use an electrical sanding disk / wheel (again, youtube or classifieds) or go about it the old-fashioned way... elbow grease! lol... sandpaper. Starting with rough paper and moving to fine paper for a polish finish.

@brianlux very cool indeed!

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    I would  like to polish a rock. I never thought  of it. What do you use 

I use a relatively inexpensive amateur set up called a Lortone rock polishing kit.  It works great for polishing small stones.  I'm pretty sure I got mine on eBay because we have no place locally that carries them.  It's fun!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.