Have you ever seen Glaciers?

2»

Comments

• disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Yes, and I heard the ice cracking!
    We took a cruise from Seattle to Alaska last August. Many glaciers were seen from the ship, although we opted not to hop on the smaller boat to get closer cuz money, and then we did a glacier hike when we stopped in Juneau. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,525
    Yes
    I've seen a bunch from a far in the mountains here on Vancouver Island.  Also camped in the rockies a boat load times so have seen them there too.

The only one I walked on was the columbia icefield off the highway between Banff and Jasper.   You could take a bus tour up to the toe and walk around on it.   The sad thing is that was when I was in my early teens.    We went back to it about 10 years ago it had shrunk quite a bit since I was a kid.  Can only imagine how much more it's shrunk since then.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,441
    No
    Gorgeous Andy! Thx.
  • Yes, and I heard the ice cracking!
    I pulled out a rather large iceberg from the water and was just happy I got it out.  The ship I was near asked what I was doing with it.  Hadn't though of that yet, lol.  He said that he would take it.  I told him to throw a line down and the crane hook.  I tied it up and up it went.  I still have no idea what he did with it?

We would pull smaller pieces out and drink them when they melted.
  • booth22booth22 Posts: 20
    edited February 2020

Under the Vatnajökull glacier in Iceland- thankfully no cracking while we were under the ice... heard that later at the glacier lagoon though.  
    Post edited by booth22 on
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    In Iceland in 2009, the same time that I saw the Northern Lights.
    I also hiked over the Franz Josef glacier in New Zealand in 2007
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671