Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 238
    I’m starting to get a bit worried our collective experiencing of this amazing song live is going to be delayed a bit...
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,183
    Transcendental consequences to transcend...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    me too.. btw...  which sucks... because I was very much looking forward to back to back nights of experiencing PJ in the pit in a state that I've never seen PJ play in before. 
  • Options
    Today feels like a great day to bump this thread. Excited for May 12th and 13th and hope we finally get to hear Who You Are!
  • Options
    yes, please play it!! :)  The pandemic has been that much depressing knowing I never got a chance to hear/see this song played live.
  • Options
    it's been 2 years.... my desire to hear this song live has only grown.. please Pearl Jam, play Who You Are in Oakland :)
  • Options
    MM70435MM70435 Posts: 246
    edited March 2022
    Zod said:
    it's been 2 years.... my desire to hear this song live has only grown.. please Pearl Jam, play Who You Are in Oakland :)
    I feel the same way you do.  If I made a request sign, Who You Are would be it.  It's one of my favorite songs of all time.  I remember the summer of 1996 well when I first heard it on the radio and just absolutely loved it.  I recorded it on cassette of the radio because it was released before No Code was.  My car was fairly new and I actually had a CD player in it.  So I had my boom box in there just to listen to Who You Are on it.  I bought No Code the day it was released (something I have done with every album except Ten) and listened to it over and over and over.  To have been a radio released song they sure quit playing it live rather quickly, as they did not play it at all on the 2000 Binaural tour.  That was the tour that I made my first ever concert and with that life changing experience along with the newly released bootlegs they did made my long time love for Pearl Jam turn into an absolute obsession.  Anyway, back to Who You Are.  It remained dormant until it surprisingly made it's way back in the 2008 tour after being last played in 1998 at the 2008 show in West Palm Beach.  I was so excited because I was going to the next show in Tampa and thought I just might get to hear it.  It was not played but the show was still incredible of course.  The next show they played was at the Bonnaroo festival and Who You Are was played again!  I did not make that show but I was going to the next one in Columbia, SC and was hoping that just maybe they would play it.  They did not play it but that was OK.  That was one of the greatest days of my life.  I have never won really anything in my life except that night I won the first two rows lottery and sat in the FRONT ROW!!!!!  It gives me chills just thinking about that glorious night.  During the show Ed came over to me and kneeled down and handed me a guitar pick!  Sorry, this is a Who You Are thread and I got a little sidetracked.  Of course they would play it at numerous other shows in 2008.  The next shows I would go to was the two shows at MSG in 2010.  I saw they had not played it at all leading up to it so I knew it was highly unlikely I would hear it.  I was not too disappointed as I had probably the 2nd and 3rd greatest nights of my life because those two shows were beyond insane!  I had floor seats about halfway back, felt the floor shaking!!  IAnyway, back to Who You Are.  I share your love Zod for and desire to hear it live.  I own everu bootleg it has been played live.  I select that bootleg just because Who You Are is played on it.  It's not that many though as I looked and it has been played 44 times live, most of them in the pre-bootleg era in 1996 when it was released.  For a radio release it sure got removed from the setlists quickly.  It was played only twice in 1998 and not played again until 2008.  My favorite live version is from Leeds, UK on 7/8/14.  You should check it out.  I think you would like it.  I sure hope you get to hear it in Oakland though.  That would mean that maybe, just possibly they would play it at Las Vegas, my next show I will attend after a 12 year hiatus (the reason for the 12 year gap is another long and this one a very depressing story I won't share at this time).  If I get good seats I was thinking of making a sign with WHO YOU ARE on one side and a large Chicago Cubs logo on the other side.  If I won a hypothetical contest where I could pick any song and they would play it in Vegas, Who You Are would definitely be it.  That is how much I love that song. It would be really cool Zod if we could sit together at a concert and they busted it out. I love this band, this song, and people like you Zod that I can share these things with.  Anyway, thanks for reading this extremely long and rambling post and I hope whatever your favorite Pearl Jam song is you get to hear it live during the upcoming tour!
    Post edited by MM70435 on
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 - LA I&II, Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore?
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • Options
    That was an amazing write up!  Here's to hoping we get some Who You Are on this tour.   I agree, for being the lead single off No Code, it doesn't get to see a lot of love, but I've loved the song from the first time I heard it on the radio.

So stoked for this tour... wooo!!!
  • Options
    Come to send, not condescend
  • Options
    Transcendental consequence
  • Options
    TA13251TA13251 Posts: 2
    This is a fantastic request. I never post comments, but I am a long time member and Oakland needs WYA! 
    I used to follow five horizons and the old message groups with tape trading when AOL was a thing, way back when. 
     I’ll be at both Oakland nights with my good friends and my uncle who used to take me to shows when I was a teen and I have been at every single Bay Area show since the infamous Polo Fields NeilJam in 1995. Including bridge performances. I was looking back through Bay Area set lists & Who You Are is not on them. I relate to the post that mentioned recording Who You Are off the radio, I did the same thing, I think it was KOME back then…maybe Live 105.3
    Super excited about this thread and about this entire rescheduled tour!
  • Options
    The first time I ever heard it live was on 99.9 KISW (seattle radio station) working the overnight shift at the grocery store I worked at to the pay the bills in my four year gap gear.  Loved that song from the first second I heard it.   I think I've been 27 PJ show's now and never heard it live.  I think it's rare gem to hear live.
  • Options
    Play it at every show this tour! My favorite Pearl Jam song hands down.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    This is a movement I can get behind. It would make a great opener in Oakland on night 1!
  • Options
    It would absolutely make for a hell of an opener :)
  • Options
    bump :)
  • Options
    Happy to see more people joining us! I will scream so loudly if this happens in Oakland (then I'll calm down and enjoy it).
  • Options
    Is to transcend where we are
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    edited March 2022
    Would it be considered a holy grail performance of this song if the Mighty Jack Irons is not behind the drum kit, though?

Hmm? Ehhh? Ahhhh....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Considering the odds of Mr. Irons behind the kit seem extreme slim, I'm more than happy to see the song live with Mr. Cameron on the skins.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Considering the odds of Mr. Irons behind the kit seem extreme slim, I'm more than happy to see the song live with Mr. Cameron on the skins.
    Not quite the same though, is it? I like Matt, but man....it is apparently so difficult to replicate Jack's drumming style. And seeing as how No Code and Yield are (IMO) their two best albums...well, it just makes me upset that my first show was like 8 months after he left the band. God I wish I saw them prior to the Yield tour!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    yah, Jack has this cool vibe to his drumming, which really made for the PJ sound on those albums.   Not sure how to describe it.. felt a little folky or new agey... 

I think Pearl Jam is a text book case of how a drummer can impact your sound.  It felt like every time they changed drummers their sound changed.

Ten sounds very different to Vs./Vitalogy which sound very different to No Code/Yield, which sound different to everything that came after.

Still.. I really want to hear this live.   I suppose maybe it's why it doesn't get played often... hard to replicate that Jack Irons vibe to it.
  • Options
    I saw it once....'06 or '08 maybe? It was cool....but I just remember the opening drum solo sounding off. They played In My Tree same show (or maybe next night) and that sounded a little weird to me as well. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Who are we? Who we are
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    Oakland might be one of the better shows especially since no one is buying 
    I miss igotid88