Ticket Disaster

2»

Comments

• From the phish.net forum SIX YEARS AGO!
    I'm not going to edit it for Pearl Jam or changes to TM or the lotto, but it's basically the same for both groups of fans.

Anatomy of a Tour Announcement

IntoTomorrow
    IntoTomorrow 6 years ago
    This is relevant, it's for everyone. It works for every Phish forum.
    Mods please sticky this thread.

Anatomy of a Tour Announcement:

1) Initial flurry of selfings, ranging from tour date predictions to mistaken venues.

2) Complaints about tour dates, venues, ticket price, and the band itself.

3) Noob influx, as noted by the second round of selfings - multiple orders on same card, etc. General inability to read instructions becomes apparent.

4) Sporadic conflicts erupt over perceived abuse of the lottery system, coupled with demands that a merit system / old mail order system be put in place.

5) Noob anxiety escalates as the lottery closes. Within hours, people demand to know when the results will be announced.

6) General chaos ensues, as holds appear and disappear from cards, cards are lost, ex-girlfriends cancel cards.

7) Results come out. The "Haves" mercilessly taunt the "Have Nots". More fights break out over multiple orders, and scalpers flood the board. Noobs begin to chart StubHub prices.

8) Preparation begins for the great TicketMaster rodeo. Practice threads pop up, along with potential backdoor links. Noobs crowing about "scoring on StubHub", and not having to worry about TM.

9) Ticketmaster onsale. Server crashes immediately, 23 "f*** TM" threads simultaneously appear.

10) Three minutes later, all difficult shows sold out. Front page consumed by ticket trade offers. People lick their wounds, exchange TM queue wait times. Back door link folks rejoice.

11) The forum slowly devolves back to "normal". Random outbreaks of anger and selfings occur as ticket trades go south
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• From the phish.net forum SIX YEARS AGO!
    I'm not going to edit it for Pearl Jam or changes to TM or the lotto, but it's basically the same for both groups of fans.

IntoTomorrow
    IntoTomorrow 6 years ago

1) Initial flurry of selfings, ranging from tour date predictions to mistaken venues.

3) Noob influx, as noted by the second round of selfings - multiple orders on same card, etc. General inability to read instructions becomes apparent.

4) Sporadic conflicts erupt over perceived abuse of the lottery system, coupled with demands that a merit system / old mail order system be put in place.

5) Noob anxiety escalates as the lottery closes. Within hours, people demand to know when the results will be announced.

6) General chaos ensues, as holds appear and disappear from cards, cards are lost, ex-girlfriends cancel cards.

7) Results come out. The "Haves" mercilessly taunt the "Have Nots". More fights break out over multiple orders, and scalpers flood the board. Noobs begin to chart StubHub prices.

8) Preparation begins for the great TicketMaster rodeo. Practice threads pop up, along with potential backdoor links. Noobs crowing about "scoring on StubHub", and not having to worry about TM.

9) Ticketmaster onsale. Server crashes immediately, 23 "f*** TM" threads simultaneously appear.

10) Three minutes later, all difficult shows sold out. Front page consumed by ticket trade offers. People lick their wounds, exchange TM queue wait times. Back door link folks rejoice.

11) The forum slowly devolves back to "normal". Random outbreaks of anger and selfings occur as ticket trades go south
    It's funny because it's true. .
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,813
    Get_Right said:
    i would say it was a huge success with more 10C members getting tix to MSG than ever before.   And no, that does not include me, a longtime member who lives in the NYC suburbs.
    Only for fans who dont mind grocery shopping with a blindfold on.
    Been that way since day one.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,685
    The Australian fires are a disaster 

Not getting tickets to see a rock band not a disaster 

No one "has" to pay $495 for a barstool at MSG.

There will still be opportunities to find a single seat at face value.

And if paying $495 for a barstool is okay with you then maybe next time look at going to another city. Where a hotel, airfare, and face value 10club tickets in better locations for a weekend are still less than paying scalper prices for MSG.

The only act I would pay $495 to go see would be God.  But he or she would have to prove their existence first.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 728
    It was a lottery folks. In 2014 I came up empty also but still managed to find my way into the shows I wanted without paying a scalper. Like anything in life if people put the effort in (and read directions) they most likely will be rewarded. If people put ga only and went for MSG and Balt only that was their bad. Pick up your bootstraps and find another way in. If your a fan and haven't made any PJ friends over the last 29 years to help you out then trade your Benny for a ticket to the show.
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208
    The Phish post is pretty spot on.

A lot of my feelings  about the majority of our fan base has changed over the last 10 years and ticket time is always when the worst of those feelings are validated.

I digress. At the end of the day, I’d estimate there are 30 million people within driving distance of NYC, Baltimore and Toronto.  Even if only a million of those people are interested in the band,  that’s still a million people trying for 60k seats over the 3 shows.   It’s not unfair, it’s not a scam, you didn’t get screwed.  There’s just way more of us than there are shows or tickets. 

1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • lfitzpatrick9lfitzpatrick9 NJ Posts: 385
    Clapper said:

A lot of my feelings  about the majority of our fan base has changed over the last 10 years and ticket time is always when the worst of those feelings are validated.

I digress. At the end of the day, I’d estimate there are 30 million people within driving distance of NYC, Baltimore and Toronto.  Even if only a million of those people are interested in the band,  that’s still a million people trying for 60k seats over the 3 shows.   It’s not unfair, it’s not a scam, you didn’t get screwed.  There’s just way more of us than there are shows or tickets. 

Of course but it definitely sucks when LA and Oakland get two nights when the demand for NYC is higher than any other city on the planet. It’s proven that’s true cause there’s literally still tickets left for La and Oakland. So it’s kinda of a joke. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Clapper said:

Of course but it definitely sucks when LA and Oakland get two nights when the demand for NYC is higher than any other city on the planet. It’s proven that’s true cause there’s literally still tickets left for La and Oakland. So it’s kinda of a joke. 
     They could not do the tour that they wanted to initially because of arena's being booked. I think MSG is lucky to get 1 show the way this tour is mapped out. 
    PJNB said:
    Clapper said:

They could not do the tour that they wanted to initially because of arena's being booked. I think MSG is lucky to get 1 show the way this tour is mapped out. 
    I’d rather them just tour msg multiple times in the fall over one night in the spring making it impossible to get a ticket to. I only wanted reserved and nope. But like in 2016 I’ll wait at the box office day of show and hope to get a ticket. I mean even when they announced msg I knew from the start I’d have to do that since their 57% chance of getting reserved was probably more like 10 or 20% since the entire east coast put in for it. Haha 
  • jstu39jstu39 Posts: 145
    Anyone from NYC complaining of only one show is amazing. Look at the tour history. Many of these cities haven’t been played in 7 plus years. Of course the will go back to NY and Boston and Phily and Chicago. You got one show. It’s a tough ticket. Be grateful you get shows more frequently than most cities. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213
    I live here in NY I tried for tickets but it wasn’t my number 1 choice , so I knew going in I wouldn’t score tickets and I’m totally fine with I won’t even try any secondary market at all I’ll stay home enjoy a hot cup of chocolate sit by the fire and get some good sleep ! The days of me being distraught over this band are over ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    From the phish.net forum SIX YEARS AGO!

IntoTomorrow
    IntoTomorrow 6 years ago

Awesome, love it!

People are predictable dicks , aren't we ?
  • MyBitterHands76MyBitterHands76 Posts: 346
    edited January 2020
    Been saying this all day but I guarantee come the fall, or 2nd leg, there will be 2 Philly shows, 2 Boston area shows, 2 NYC area shows (probably Brooklyn or north jersey) and 2 Chicago shows as well as other East Coast shows. I’m sure the 10c lotto and public sales will be much easier and less people will get shut out if this becomes the case. Biggest reason I think so many got shut out of Baltimore or MSG was because they were the only North East shows on this tour. Plus Everyone just keep your eyes on TM. The closer it gets to the date of the show tickets are probably going to pop up sporadically. 

Post edited by MyBitterHands76 on
    "If you're like me, then you know me"

2006: Camden 1
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 1, Philly 2, Philly 3, Philly 4
    2013: Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2,
    2017: Temple of The Dog Philly 2
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Gutted
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    Clapper said:

Both LA shows are sold out. But of course NYC has the highest demand. The garden was booked pretty heavily around their dates, so instead of complaining, maybe one should probably be grateful they slipped one show in.
    Sarava said:
    Clapper said:

Both LA shows are sold out. But of course NYC has the highest demand. The garden was booked pretty heavily around their dates, so instead of complaining, maybe one should probably be grateful they slipped one show in.
    Yeah for someone who got tickets sure. I struck out three times so it kinda stinks. 
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    Just a guess, but I have a feeling they will hit New York again in the 2nd leg.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    mcgruff10 said:
    Gutted
    You are also devastated. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    ecdanc said:
    A lot of fans just dont want the hassle of traveling out of town for a 3 hour show, let alone crossing the Atlantic.

For chrissake if they spent 10% of the time playing near the Atlantic than they do crossing it, perhaps they wouldn't be alienating  the largest segment of their base.

Maybe I'm spoiled but other big bands always hit NYC and N.east 3 or 4 times more often every tour. Not this band.

Starting to get fed up with their desire to see spicy cities
    So the largest segment of their base is east coast people who aren’t willing to travel 3 hours to see them? You may well be right, but that doesn’t make a super compelling case that those people NEED more shows. 

Most  are willing to travel. I am starting to tire of traveling. 

It's silly realizing that OKC and PQs best chance of full sellout is if easterners that are willing to travel. 
    Sarava said:
    Sorry you missed out. But MSG was not even close to 99%.
    Another thread by someone who doesn't realize that the odds shown when entered arent the actual odds.

That and all the others who don’t realize this is just the first leg of the NA tour. Not only would that be common sense for a new album, it literally said so in the info they put out. 

For chrissake if they spent 10% of the time playing near the Atlantic than they do crossing it, perhaps they wouldn't be alienating  the largest segment of their base.

Maybe I'm spoiled but other big bands always hit NYC and N.east 3 or 4 times more often every tour. Not this band.
    hacohen3 said:
    The real problem was only 2 East Coast shows. Such bad planning. Needed at least 2 night NYC, at least 

No shit they would normally play multiple dates in the big cities and more than 2 east coast US dates. They’re squeezing in a handful of NA dates before spending the summer in Europe. Calm down, Karen, they’ll be back. If you can’t figure out how to get tix now you’ll have more opportunities in the fall.

You figured out who I was
  • Clapper said:

And the 60k is even less when you factor in the +1’s. 

Could easily be less than 10 tickets + the +1’s to each of those venues. I see posts of +3 or 4 due to family outings. 
    PF658593 said:
    I can see all sides of this argument. But it just seemed easier for the lightning bolt tour and the one before. If you were a club member you just went online early and tried to get the tickets, lots of clicking and refreshing but it worked. It was a 2 stage process. This whole pre-verified, then lottery, then another presale is just such a pain in the rear. Too many dates/deadlines/logins to different sites. Also, despite multiple emails from ticketb@stard, my tenclub ticket page says I entered no lottery at all (and yes, emails match on both accounts.)I am biased since I got nothing, admittedly. I just have a vision of some marketing dude at Ticketb@stard having a light bulb moment which we are all now living. More North East dates please guys......! Congrats to those that got in. Enjoy.

The biggest “pain in the rear” is the stupid code texted to phones. Do we really believe bots can’t replicate phones? Pretty soon they will be controlling the earth, but we can defeat them with a texted code?
    Clapper said:

Could easily be less than 10 tickets + the +1’s to each of those venues. I see posts of +3 or 4 due to family outings. 

If we’re talking 4 hour driving distance to NY we need to double that estimate to 60 million people, many fans make that trip here

to answer @wobbler_kitty advising I calm down since more N.east shows are coming, it really doesn’t matter much for several reasons:

they are going to count the spring as two shows and they are really zero because the odds were the lowest by far and many got shut out
    everyone starts at zero in the fall, including fans that are going now, which will further drive down fall odds
    they will probably try to level the fairness with stadium and or festivals. That doesn’t level off the abundance of arena shows elsewhere received

the only way to mitigate the highest demand for PJ arena shows on earth is to have 5 or 6 of them in the N.east to split off the first priority odds, exactly what the west got this tour, and I think the east maybe got seven years ago. might never happen again.

but hey, it’s only rock and roll
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    brianlux said:
    The Australian fires are a disaster 

Not getting tickets to see a rock band not a disaster 

No one "has" to pay $495 for a barstool at MSG.

There will still be opportunities to find a single seat at face value.

And if paying $495 for a barstool is okay with you then maybe next time look at going to another city. Where a hotel, airfare, and face value 10club tickets in better locations for a weekend are still less than paying scalper prices for MSG.

The only act I would pay $495 to go see would be God.  But he or she would have to prove their existence first.
    God would not charge 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    If they're not playing in my backyard of Washington DC in the fall, I'm not going through another lottery in the fall. To me this whole thing has been managed poorly, the announcement of Europe first, then leaks to a fan that were cryptically teased here, then a bunch of Instagram hide and seek, then only three days to get set up for the lottery and the TM follow up all in a weeks crunch and now we wait for two more layers of exchanges and resales or whatever, and now a yet to be revealed fall set of dates which tbh, in my hasty reading, I didn't even notice in the announcement but wish I had because I might have held off. And then a song that sounds like Duran Duran. Did I read the name of a band manager in an article shared today about a private listening party yesterday? It wasn't a name I recognized. Is the band under new management? Sure feels like it.
  • Sarava said:
    Another thread by someone who doesn't realize that the odds shown when entered arent the actual odds.

That and all the others who don’t realize this is just the first leg of the NA tour. Not only would that be common sense for a new album, it literally said so in the info they put out. 

hacohen3 said:
    The real problem was only 2 East Coast shows. Such bad planning. Needed at least 2 night NYC, at least 

No shit they would normally play multiple dates in the big cities and more than 2 east coast US dates. They’re squeezing in a handful of NA dates before spending the summer in Europe. Calm down, Karen, they’ll be back. If you can’t figure out how to get tix now you’ll have more opportunities in the fall.

Was picturing more along the lines of...

Clapper said:

If we’re talking 4 hour driving distance to NY we need to double that estimate to 60 million people, many fans make that trip here

to answer @wobbler_kitty advising I calm down since more N.east shows are coming, it really doesn’t matter much for several reasons:

they are going to count the spring as two shows and they are really zero because the odds were the lowest by far and many got shut out
    everyone starts at zero in the fall, including fans that are going now, which will further drive down fall odds
    they will probably try to level the fairness with stadium and or festivals. That doesn’t level off the abundance of arena shows elsewhere received

the only way to mitigate the highest demand for PJ arena shows on earth is to have 5 or 6 of them in the N.east to split off the first priority odds, exactly what the west got this tour, and I think the east maybe got seven years ago. might never happen again.

Orrrr...

They do a full run of arenas and hit places like Worcester or Boston (either of which is pretty much guaranteed 2 nights), Hartford, Philly, something around Jersey and another NY show.

A lot of us actually can’t travel around to see them or hit more than 1 or 2 shows in our area. To compare the demand of 2 east coast shows on a new album to what could very well be 6+ is rather disingenuous.

Hey, I could be wrong, maybe we’ll only get a couple of Fenway shows. But with a new album out, I’m doubtful. 
  • Lol anyone who still believes they had a 99% shot is a fool 
    2013 Baltimore
    2016 Philly1 
    2016 Fenway2
    2016 Wrigley 2
    2016 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2016 Temple of the Dog Seattle2
    2017 Soundgarden Detroit   RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 Seattle1
    2018 Seattle2
    2019 Chris Cornell Tribute LA
    2024 Baltimore 

Sarava said:

hacohen3 said:

Was picturing more along the lines of...

Clapper said:

Orrrr...

They do a full run of arenas and hit places like Worcester or Boston (either of which is pretty much guaranteed 2 nights), Hartford, Philly, something around Jersey and another NY show.

A lot of us actually can’t travel around to see them or hit more than 1 or 2 shows in our area. To compare the demand of 2 east coast shows on a new album to what could very well be 6+ is rather disingenuous.

Hey, I could be wrong, maybe we’ll only get a couple of Fenway shows. But with a new album out, I’m doubtful. 

I like my pic better, but that 2nd one is nice too!

I like your option one, hit some in between places in N.east but I think some version of two fenways is more likely. That’s part of the frustration. It’s like a set up, let’s play two in N.east spring, show how difficult tix are there and that justifies Fenway only in the fall. That’d might be last straw for me.