Ticket Disaster

Did everything by the book. 10C registration (99% chance!) and Ticketmaster Verified Fan registration. Both denied. Literally was in Ticketmaster’s ‘waiting room’ for the public sale at exactly 9:50 am... only to find that somehow 2000+ people had arrived before me... so I waited anxiously for half an hour... 45 minutes... an hour... and the little running man symbol kept growing until it finally got from 2000-1816-716-215-57-1-‘you’re next’... a message popped up that said hang tight your tickets are about to be available,with the refresh icon spinning, for 1 whole hour... then I finally clicked out and the show is sold out... now it will cost $495 to get a ‘barstool’ on the highest level behind stage at MSG... and $8,999.99 for a GA ticket.... this is a disaster

Comments

• Same story here, although I had to use Ticketbastard presale because 10c has a 2 ticket limit - and I’m taking my wife and son - so I need 3. 
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,685
    I'm so glad I don't go to see big name bands any more.  What a hassle! 

I feel badly for all those who are big fans and can no longer see their favorite band.  That was never the case decades ago when pretty much anyone could go see Hendrix, The Who, Neil Young, pretty much anyone you can name.  Why is this?  A few reasons come to mind:

-There are far fewer great bands today so the ones that are big draw a larger percentage of music fans.
    -A much larger population overall.
    -More people in general means more people who can afford to fly to and stay in places away from home to see band, so there are many more people outside one's home area vying for tickets to a local or regional venue.
    -Hugely inflated ticket prices put a lot of lower income people out of the running.
    -Club memberships make it hard for non-members to get tickets.

I really feel for music fans today.   If I were still going to shows I would start seeking lesser known bands and not even try to see a big name band.  The way I see it, it's time for a new revolution in music.  We're overdue for one anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    Worked well for me. 
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by tusevun on
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    Sorry you missed out. But MSG was not even close to 99%.
  • I posted in the strategy thread, but you had to refresh in the beginning of que. also waiting room opened 15 prior. The just said at least 10 in the email...
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    The Australian fires are a disaster 

Not getting tickets to see a rock band not a disaster 

No one "has" to pay $495 for a barstool at MSG.

There will still be opportunities to find a single seat at face value.

And if paying $495 for a barstool is okay with you then maybe next time look at going to another city. Where a hotel, airfare, and face value 10club tickets in better locations for a weekend are still less than paying scalper prices for MSG.
  • aidt17aidt17 Posts: 633
    edited January 2020

And if paying $495 for a barstool is okay with you then maybe next time look at going to another city. Where a hotel, airfare, and face value 10club tickets in better locations for a weekend are still less than paying scalper prices for MSG.
    For another $300 bucks someone could pretty well do the Canadian leg, and that's in CDN funds, which is probably what in USD......78 bucks?? 

Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,055
    Sarava said:
    Another thread by someone who doesn't realize that the odds shown when entered arent the actual odds.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    For the shows that don’t have ticket resale restrictions you will have more than one chance to get in for less than $500. 

The prices today on stubhub are the highest they will ever be. They are praying on the desperation of fans who are despondent after missing out on public sale options. 

Be patient. Even be willing to wait until day of the show. 

I got into the first Seattle Home show in 2018 at 3:30pm the day of. $110 for a field section.  Those same tickets were $850 a month prior on Stubhub. That first Seattle show was in high demand. But eventually, it levels out. 
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Sarava said:
    Another thread by someone who doesn't realize that the odds shown when entered arent the actual odds.
    By someone who appears to have been around since at least 2013! That’s what’s currently baking my noodle about this - the people making this mistake seem not to be the people who just joined last month. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    aidt17 said:

For another $300 bucks someone could pretty well do the Canadian leg, and that's in CDN funds, which is probably what in USD......78 bucks?? 

:lol: $300 USD works out to close to $400 Canadian today, definitely good bang for your buck for Americans to visit.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • It’s easier for some to  to  be on board with  TM- - G r ee D
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    Sarava said:
    It was something like 57% at the end for reserved and 10% GA
    I miss igotid88
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,813
    i would say it was a huge success with more 10C members getting tix to MSG than ever before.   And no, that does not include me, a longtime member who lives in the NYC suburbs.
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    I just saw a post that someone is claiming that it still might come out cheaper to grab 1 of the many tickets still available for one of the euro shows, and flights and hotel would still be cheaper than a nosebleed behind the stage at MSG.  Might be worth a look.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula, Dana Point 1 & 2
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    A lot of fans just dont want the hassle of traveling out of town for a 3 hour show, let alone crossing the Atlantic.

For chrissake if they spent 10% of the time playing near the Atlantic than they do crossing it, perhaps they wouldn't be alienating  the largest segment of their base.

Maybe I'm spoiled but other big bands always hit NYC and N.east 3 or 4 times more often every tour. Not this band.

Starting to get fed up with their desire to see spicy cities
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    Get_Right said:
    i would say it was a huge success with more 10C members getting tix to MSG than ever before.   And no, that does not include me, a longtime member who lives in the NYC suburbs.
    Only for fans who dont mind grocery shopping with a blindfold on.
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    A lot of fans just dont want the hassle of traveling out of town for a 3 hour show, let alone crossing the Atlantic.

For chrissake if they spent 10% of the time playing near the Atlantic than they do crossing it, perhaps they wouldn't be alienating  the largest segment of their base.

Maybe I'm spoiled but other big bands always hit NYC and N.east 3 or 4 times more often every tour. Not this band.

Starting to get fed up with their desire to see spicy cities
    So the largest segment of their base is east coast people who aren’t willing to travel 3 hours to see them? You may well be right, but that doesn’t make a super compelling case that those people NEED more shows. 
  • Starting to get fed up with their desire to see spicy cities
    ???

They aren't your employees, yo.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    If they had skipped the northeast altogether we would all figure that they would be back in the fall, no big deal. But instead they squeeze a NYC show in and this is the reaction.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyV said:
    If they had skipped the northeast altogether we would all figure that they would be back in the fall, no big deal. But instead they squeeze a NYC show in and this is the reaction.
    Are you explaining or justifying?
    JimmyV said:
    Are you explaining or justifying?

Neither, really. I'm observing.

• The real problem was only 2 East Coast shows. Such bad planning. Needed at least 2 night NYC, at least 
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    hacohen3 said:
    The real problem was only 2 East Coast shows. Such bad planning. Needed at least 2 night NYC, at least 
    So which show(s) are you cutting?
    ecdanc said:
    hacohen3 said:
    The real problem was only 2 East Coast shows. Such bad planning. Needed at least 2 night NYC, at least 
    So which show(s) are you cutting?

and what arena are they playing in?

• I can see all sides of this argument. But it just seemed easier for the lightning bolt tour and the one before. If you were a club member you just went online early and tried to get the tickets, lots of clicking and refreshing but it worked. It was a 2 stage process. This whole pre-verified, then lottery, then another presale is just such a pain in the rear. Too many dates/deadlines/logins to different sites. Also, despite multiple emails from ticketb@stard, my tenclub ticket page says I entered no lottery at all (and yes, emails match on both accounts.)I am biased since I got nothing, admittedly. I just have a vision of some marketing dude at Ticketb@stard having a light bulb moment which we are all now living. More North East dates please guys......! Congrats to those that got in. Enjoy.
  • Sarava said:

That and all the others who don’t realize this is just the first leg of the NA tour. Not only would that be common sense for a new album, it literally said so in the info they put out. 

hacohen3 said:

No shit they would normally play multiple dates in the big cities and more than 2 east coast US dates. They’re squeezing in a handful of NA dates before spending the summer in Europe. Calm down, Karen, they’ll be back. If you can’t figure out how to get tix now you’ll have more opportunities in the fall.
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    Dang, I thought for sure the 85th version of this same thread would have solved the problem.  Nope.  I’ll just wait until #86.  That will definitely be the one.