Options

Coronavirus

Figure I'd start a thread to see if anyone has firsthand contact with people in China to get a feel for what is going on.  Two cases now confirmed in US (SEA / CHI).  Both traveled from the Wuhan area.

Comments

• Options
    Jason P said:
    Figure I'd start a thread to see if anyone has firsthand contact with people in China to get a feel for what is going on.  Two cases now confirmed in US (SEA / CHI).  Both traveled from the Wuhan area.

This should be in AMT.

Here in Long Beach NY we have a Chinese company that houses their employees away from JFk.  Don't think for a second that we aren't worried about that...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I considered putting it on AMT but I'm looking for helpful discussion on this topic. ;)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm curious about first hand knowledge.  This huge city of 11 million people is unknown by I'm guessing 95% of the people I've spoken with.  So what is really going on there?
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I'm curious about first hand knowledge.  This huge city of 11 million people is unknown by I'm guessing 95% of the people I've spoken with.  So what is really going on there?
    China has 1 billion people.  You think most people can tell you about a city outside of Beijing?

I have never heard of the Wuhan area until this.

Never heard of a Coronavirus until this.

What scares me is that they had a robot, yes a robot, treat a patient w this virus...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:
    I considered putting it on AMT but I'm looking for helpful discussion on this topic. ;)
    :lol:

My husband's co-worker had returned from a trip to China...showed up with a face mask, hacking and sneezing.  Of course he (then I) caught it.  We were worried for maybe a minute, then realized it was just a bad fucking cold.

tempo, the robot thing got me too.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I hope I contract it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    I hope I contract it.

:rofl:

Sorry, I know that you were not sharing that for laughs but it did make me laugh out loud.
    I hope that you do not. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Would put me out of my misery. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    edited January 2020
    If you really wanna go, go with your head face down in a pile of blow, or skydiving w/o a chute.
    Damn, what an awful way out the door to get a pox of some sort.

Life is wonderful, and even when it is not, it is far better than "no life". 
    Keep battling.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Would put me out of my misery. 
    You know, YOU can do that yourself. 

I’m sorry to see you choosing no life over the potential it offers. 

Take the fucking bull by the fucking horns!  No one else can do it for you. 
  • Options
    Just saw a news report saying there is a confirmed case in my own state.
    I may get lucky.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    hedonist said:
    Jason P said:
    :lol:

My husband's co-worker had returned from a trip to China...showed up with a face mask, hacking and sneezing.  Of course he (then I) caught it.  We were worried for maybe a minute, then realized it was just a bad fucking cold.

tempo, the robot thing got me too.
    Wow that is scary.  I'm already fretting about getting on a plane to LA in April.  That's how this shit spreads, close contact, sharing air, sharing space.  I remember reading about the 1918 flu pandemic; at the time news did not travel fast; so at the height of the transmission period, Philadelphia held a parade.  The death toll in the city was beyond comprehension.  All over the world actually, but I'm sure a parade did not help the issue. 
  • Options
    I may get lucky.
    If you’re truly feeling this way, please seek help now, where you are. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Hey, as long as it doesn't turn into Pacifico virus, I'm good.

NO:

YES:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonist said:
    I may get lucky.
    I often do get in such moods.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

NO:

YES:

Very clever
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    hedonist said:
    I may get lucky.
    I often do get in such moods.
    *edited; was fruitless anyway.

Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    Had a bout of this last week. Missed three days of work. Wasn't that bad. Played a lot of Mario Kart. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Yikes!

The virus-hit Chinese city of Wuhan, already on lockdown, banned most vehicle use downtown and Hong Kong said it would close schools for two weeks as authorities scrambled Saturday to stop the spread of an illness that has infected more than 1,200 people and killed 41.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coronavirus-china-reports-death-toll-rises_n_5e2ba617c5b6779e9c32dc8c
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    edited January 2020
    Also a suspected case in Berlin now... :|
  • Options
    57,000 deaths from flu in US in 2019. About 60 worldwide so far with this. I think we can pump the breaks a bit in the hysteria for a while.
  • Options
    The world press love nothing  more  than to try and scare the shit  out of already nervous  people at any opportunity. 
    Its easy now with social media. 
    I remember  mad cow disease 
    Bird flu
    Swine flu was all the  same. The end is nigh
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    The world press love nothing  more  than to try and scare the shit  out of already nervous  people at any opportunity. 
    Bird flu
    I haven't come out of my bathroom since this story first hit. Please let me know when it is contained.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    57,000 deaths from flu in US in 2019. About 60 worldwide so far with this. I think we can pump the breaks a bit in the hysteria for a while.
    No hysteria here. :peace:
  • Options
    Bird flu
    I haven't come out of my bathroom since this story first hit. Please let me know when it is contained.
    Stay there  boomer
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Bird flu
    SARS
    Ebola
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    When China is quickly building hospitals for this perhaps there is something they are not quite telling everyone.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    brianlux said:

NO:

YES:

If you stick a lime down your throat will that cure Coronavirus?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited January 2020
    When China is quickly building hospitals for this perhaps there is something they are not quite telling everyone.
    Yes, it feels like this virus is worse than for example SARS. Having a whole hospital with patients infected with only one kind of disease feels extreme.
    The ground of the problem was the horrible animal markets selling wild captured animals.
    Post edited by Annafalk on