Are MLS Stadiums the Answer to the MSG StubHub Disaster of 2020?

Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
edited January 2020 in The Porch
Better sight lines than Baseball stadiums and they could even do an "in the round" performance so the entire crowd is not that far from the stage. Or move their traditional end zone stage a little closer to mid field.

Of course another option would be to try to match demand for shows with supply.

Are MLS Stadiums the Answer to the MSG StubHub Disaster of 2020? 77 votes

Yes
23%
maverickwashedinblack91AKRounder85bigbiggzyFreddy Arheeharruggs1996CB10256FW46778as270DF220512MR242791AG276717SputNickddeschlerGarasaurasLerxst1992tlone39PJALK 18 votes
No.
76%
faithful2youfall by the waysidewhitepantsJim Tresseljdopjsay_hiMUZIKMayDay10FatassGary Carterforiginalsinalex_scpatkelly12zpalffyGetRight13SVRDhand13Peasant TentsjaredsScreaming TreeWMAmorican 59 votes

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,738
    No.
    Doesn't one of the NY MLS teams play at Yankee Stadium?

No.
    The answer is play more shows in larger markets, or play football stadiums in larger markets.

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    The answer is play more shows in larger markets, or play football stadiums in larger markets.

Or never play shows in New York. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    Yes
    You got me there. Let's assume NYCFC  gets a real MLS home one day. Those stadiums look perfect for PJ shows.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    From "stadiums suck, play arenas" to "arenas are too small, play stadiums" in record time. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Yes
    The closest to NYC is Red Bull Stadium.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    JimmyV said:
    From "stadiums suck, play arenas" to "arenas are too small, play stadiums" in record time. 

LOL
  • No.
    They do enough stadium shows as it is, they've played Fenway enough in recent years that NYC area people could have gone to - this is a spring tour, so they had to play indoor venues. They certainly could/should have played more than one show at the Garden, they're obviously dong two in Oakland and L.A., but the solution is not necessarily to play all stadiums all the time.

Presumably there will be more shows later this year, so the hysteria seems a bit unfounded. For us California folks, who haven't had shows since 2013, it's hard to take all the whining when they played New York in 2015 and 2016 and Boston in 2018.
  • No.
    In March? No. During the summer, maybe, but of course they're busy this summer.

Generally, stadium shows are ok but tougher to get the sound right. 

I know you and many others see it as a disaster due to the outcome but it's truly better than nothing.
  • ritg19ritg19 Posts: 111
    The NY Red Bulls play in Red Bull Arena in Harrison NJ (25K capacity) easily accessible by public transportation as well.  That would be the NY area MLS stadium to play in.  Obviously not Yankee stadium
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on....
    No.
    JimmyV said:
    I'm not gonna lie, my first thought the other day when people were getting pissed about ticketing was, " so people were over stadiums and wanted arenas..."
  • No.
    A larger venue means more opportunities for scalpers to do their thing.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Please take the word stadium out of your vocabulary. Thank you. :smile:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    No.
    JimmyV said:
    im still and will always be firmly in stadiums suck territory 
    No.
    A larger venue means more opportunities for scalpers to do their thing.
    But it brings down the secondary market prices because of increased capacity.
    JimmyV said:
    I'm not gonna lie, my first thought the other day when people were getting pissed about ticketing was, " so people were over stadiums and wanted arenas..."
    Yep. 

No.
    The real answer is, PJ fans will always complain about something, so there is no correct way to do things.
    There is unlikely to ever again be enough shows in enough places to satisfy the demand. 

• RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    There is a "StubHub disaster" because NYC allows it. NYC changing that would solve that "disaster"...not playing a soccer stadium.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Just play more shows.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • No.
    Umm, play more cities and a few more dates in the larger markets?

When is the last time they played 1 show in NYC and none in the surrounding Philly/Boston areas?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398

When is the last time they played 1 show in NYC and none in the surrounding Philly/Boston areas?
    It has never happened before. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Yes
    MayDay10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    im still and will always be firmly in stadiums suck territory 

I'm with you. I absolutely hate stadiums. Especially MLB with its huge outfields.

But they are going to almost be forced to do 2 or 4 stadium shows in the fall imo.

A place like Wrigley has the "bones" of a 45,000 capacity building and they jam the stage into as far deep center as they can.MLS are closer to 25,000

If there was a way to have outdoor behind stage seating, and they could move the stage a bit towards mid field? These MLS stadiums are half the size as wrigley but they can jam fans onto the entire field. 
  • Yes
    Uncle Bruce plays multiple shows at Giants Stadium/ MetLife, even though they put on a great show, it gets watered down. Fenway is more intimate, but I will always prefer an arena. 2018's Home/ Away is the max amount of stadiums PJ should play. It sounds like there will be another leg of this tour in the fall/ winter into 2021. I can see them coming back to play the midwest and other markets that got skipped on this run. 
  • TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    The real answer is, PJ fans will always complain about something, so there is no correct way to do things.
    Have to agree with you on this one!
    Yes
    AG276717 said:
    Uncle Bruce plays multiple shows at Giants Stadium/ MetLife, even though they put on a great show, it gets watered down. Fenway is more intimate, but I will always prefer an arena. 2018's Home/ Away is the max amount of stadiums PJ should play. It sounds like there will be another leg of this tour in the fall/ winter into 2021. I can see them coming back to play the midwest and other markets that got skipped on this run. 

For all intents and purposes, the north east got skipped this tour.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213
    JimmyV said:
    lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    edited January 2020
    No.
    No! I have avoided all MLS concerts of Pearl Jam. Their shows aren't a Live Aid global event type event. Fuck that! I don't even go to baseball games so why go to a stadium to see PJ? I'm happy with tickets to arenas. Those who love stadiums, knock yourselves out with your binoculars. 
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
    mcgruff10 said:

It has never happened before. 
    Had to be intentional, right? Like they are preserving territory for big fall shows. At least that is what I am going to keep telling myself. 

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    AG276717 said:

For all intents and purposes, the north east got skipped this tour.
    Except for the shows there.