Dance of the Clairvoyants VS Mind Your Manners

Comments

• Dance of the Clairvoyants
    Mind Your Manners is a good song and a great lead-off that got me stoked for Lightning Bolt - however I was disappointed some of the rockers on the album didn't measure up to the intensity that MYM had!

DOTC is great, and very vibey.  I want to hear it in the context of the full album before fully assessing its relation to the new album, but stricly as a singular song I like it more between the two of them
    Echo this /\   Liked MYM when it was released for the energy and punch in the face quality.  Fun live.  Nice to get away from the folksy Into the Wild and some Backspacer stuff post Avocado.  But I find DOTC to be more intriguing/thought provoking and fun to listen to on repeat and draws me to keep playing whereas MYM was always more of an occasional listen or if I was in the mood type song.
    Is a Compliment For You.
    1998 Va. Beach ~~ 2000 Va. Beach ~~ Columbia, Md. ~~ 2003 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2006 DC ~~ 2008 Va. Beach ~~ DC ~~ 
    2010 Bristow, Va. ~~ 2013 Charlottesville, Va. ~~ 2016 Hampton, Va. ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~ Wrigley 1 & 2 ~~
    2022 Nashville ~~ St. Louis ~~ Oklahoma City ~~ 2023 St. Paul 1 & 2 ~~ Austin 1 & 2 ~~
    2024 Vegas 1 & 2 ~~ Indianapolis ~~ Wrigley 2 ~~ MSG 1 & 2 ~~ Philly 1 & 2 ~~ Fenway 1 & 2 ~~
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Dance of the Clairvoyants
    I like MYM it's a jolt of angry energy & is awesome live. But I swear, while listening to DotC last night it felt like the Master/Slave intro

Image result for obi wan thats a presence Ive not felt in a long time gif
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • mschostokmschostok Posts: 858
    edited January 2020
    Totally different song, obviously, but imo Dance is better musically, lyrically, creatively, etc. When I first heard MYM, I really liked it, and still do. But similar to what a lot of people have mentioned, it's a straightforward rock song and nothing much more. I'm a sucker for creativity and doing something different - DotC undeniably did that for me. 
    Post edited by mschostok on
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    Mind Your Manners
    Gibson said:
    PJNB said:
    DOTC and its not even close for me. 
    Correct.

There’s a lot of feelings being expressed on the legendary porch forum that DOTC haters are being too mean and judgmental about fans that like the new song.

please note that the PJNB can not be “correct” as it is an opinion. 

Fans that believe it contains the worst chorus in rock history could be offended since some believe they might have an incorrect view.
    Gibson said:
    PJNB said:
    DOTC and its not even close for me. 
    Correct.

There’s a lot of feelings being expressed on the legendary porch forum that DOTC haters are being too mean and judgmental about fans that like the new song.

please note that the PJNB can not be “correct” as it is an opinion. 

Fans that believe it contains the worst chorus in rock history could be offended since some believe they might have an incorrect view.
    *I only own MY mind... I am mine* - Another great lead off single, depending on your view of Riot Act. Wakka wakka wakka

Oh and that "Master/Slave" feeling I experienced was very brief and probably partially marijuana induced - but it was there, mainly in the multilayered Ed vocal parts for a second or so.

It's hilarious how it's like battle lines are being drawn over DotC on ye ol' Porch. 
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Posts: 614
    Mind Your Manners
    I dug MYM immediately, for how intense it was. how politically charged it was. and I never got tired of it. DotC took time for me to get used to, and I do like it now, but it's still MYM by a mile for me. 
    I'm with you on that. I was sold on MYM immediately, but unlike you I am having a hard time getting into the new one. It reminds me of when RHCP released "The Getaway" album, and the first single was "The Adventures of Raindance Maggie". It was such an unexpected turn for the band, and everything seemed to change after that and now I'm not as big of a fan as I was before that album. I'll admit that I like the newPJ  song a little more today than I did yesterday, but it's still got a long way to go for me. Maybe I'll be blown away by hearing it live and then I'll feel differently.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586
    ZeldaZonk said:
    I dug MYM immediately, for how intense it was. how politically charged it was. and I never got tired of it. DotC took time for me to get used to, and I do like it now, but it's still MYM by a mile for me. 
    I'm with you on that. I was sold on MYM immediately, but unlike you I am having a hard time getting into the new one. It reminds me of when RHCP released "The Getaway" album, and the first single was "The Adventures of Raindance Maggie". It was such an unexpected turn for the band, and everything seemed to change after that and now I'm not as big of a fan as I was before that album. I'll admit that I like the newPJ  song a little more today than I did yesterday, but it's still got a long way to go for me. Maybe I'll be blown away by hearing it live and then I'll feel differently.
    Hmmm, do you mean the I'm With You" album? I didn't like that album at all, but The Getaway is fantastic.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    Hmmm, do you mean the I'm With You" album? I didn't like that album at all, but The Getaway is fantastic.
    I liked I'm Beside You a little more than I'm With You. Reading what JK said during the Marc Maron WTF Podcast, he even preferred those songs to IWY. I actually like The Getaway the most out of all 3 of the Josh records. He had a nice little progression as a songwriter with them. But, FROOSH IS BACK - AGAIN, lol. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    jonsey30 said:
    Am I crazy or wasn’t Sirens the first single from LB?
    Sirens was the second single.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Mind Your Manners
    tbergs said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    Yes, sorry. I was going off memory and should have double checked which album that song was off of. The Getaway was definitely better than I'm With You. 
    Mind Your Manners
    tbergs said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    I liked I'm Beside You a little more than I'm With You. Reading what JK said during the Marc Maron WTF Podcast, he even preferred those songs to IWY. I actually like The Getaway the most out of all 3 of the Josh records. He had a nice little progression as a songwriter with them. But, FROOSH IS BACK - AGAIN, lol. 
    That's funny because I just listened to that podcast late last night. It was really interesting to hear his views and I had no idea he had worked with so many bands prior to joining RHCP. I'm definitely excited about John's return because he was always my favorite, but I thought Josh was a great fit.
    ZeldaZonk said:
    tbergs said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    That's funny because I just listened to that podcast late last night. It was really interesting to hear his views and I had no idea he had worked with so many bands prior to joining RHCP. I'm definitely excited about John's return because he was always my favorite, but I thought Josh was a great fit.
    Agreed. We're also in agreement on your signature. That still hurts and the past week has brought some of that aggravation back to the forefront in my mind. Oh well, hopefully we'll see a date in the Fall. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    I’ll have to hear DotC live to decide, studio versions, I’d give it to clairvoyants. Live, MYM translates very well and fits in well alongside classic pj songs
  • 1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
    edited January 2020
    Mind Your Manners
    jonsey30 said:
    You're probably not crazy, but ... no; it was MYM.
    Post edited by 1rogeraspain2 on
  • Mind Your Manners
    MYM was much better. Not a big fan of "Dance ..."  MYM rocked! "Dance ..." doesn't." Not that everything needs to rock, but I found the first taste of Lightning Bolt much more appetizing and intriguing than I do the first taste of "Gigaton." Since you're asking, I'll take "Who You Are" over "Dance ..." as well. I applaud the "Dance ..." experiment. I'm not shitting on it. Just not that taken with it.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    jonsey30 said:
    Mind your manners was first
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    Why is there never a both option?
    I miss igotid88
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    Mind Your Manners
    It's close for me, but It's been so long ago, it's hard to remember exactly how I felt, but I remember liking it out of the gate and DotC started out slow, but now I love it...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • docsredarmy99docsredarmy99 Posts: 34
    edited January 2020
    Mind Your Manners
    DOTC sounds like a song people will go to the bar during when it's played live. 
  • Mind Your Manners
    igotid88 said:
    Because Sophies Choice wouldn't work if there is one.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • igotid88 said:
    Both for me too. When MYM came out, I went nuts. Now I’m gooey for DotC. But if DotC was the first LB single, 7 years ago, I certainly would not have felt the same. I might have liked it, but it would have taken me longer to embrace. Thankfully, I’m a completely different listener than I was then. 

Yet another great example of how this band has grown with me as a listener, and as a fan... or is it vice verse... or maybe BOTH. 

I haven’t felt that way as often about any other band. That’s why I’m still here. And I could not be any more excited for this album!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    Mind Your Manners
    igotid88 said:
    cause sitting in the middle of the road can be dangerous. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,441
    I just can't get behind MYM. Has anyone ever told you to MYM? It's kinda rude. For example: Imagine if you are poor, hungry and eating like you hadn't seen proper food for a few months. Then Ed tells you to "mind your manners" because your social skills aren't fitting the charity meal, which no one eats. wtf? 

DotC. No contest.
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Too hard to compare, just too different. I guess it really depends on my mood.
    Mind Your Manners
    tish said:
    I just can't get behind MYM. Has anyone ever told you to MYM? It's kinda rude. For example: Imagine if you are poor, hungry and eating like you hadn't seen proper food for a few months. Then Ed tells you to "mind your manners" because your social skills aren't fitting the charity meal, which no one eats. wtf? 

DotC. No contest.
    i think you need to re-read the lyrics to MYM. Ed isn't saying it. the antagonist in the story is. 

www.headstonesband.com

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,441
    ^ . Ya, I'm not basing my comment on the lyrics and song meaning because I just can't get passed the three MYM words. bleaeeeaach. Maybe, I'll give that a go one of these day and try to get passed the chastising notion that phrase evokes.
  • igotid88 said:
    Can’t be neutral on a moving train  ;)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited February 2020
    Initially I liked Mind Your Manners quite a bit. Then I saw it live and that dropped it down quite a few pegs. (Yeah, sorry, but this is one of their songs that gets much worse live than studio).
    The difference is that with MYM, while I did like it a good bit initially, it never hyped me up for Lightning Bolt the way Dance is hyping me up for Gigaton (and the subsequent tour).  Dance wins easily here.
  • Mind Your Manners
    Mind your Manners will be no ones rival.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Mind Your Manners
    tish said:
    ^ . Ya, I'm not basing my comment on the lyrics and song meaning because I just can't get passed the three MYM words. bleaeeeaach. Maybe, I'll give that a go one of these day and try to get passed the chastising notion that phrase evokes.
    gotcha

www.headstonesband.com