Stubhub, Seatgeek, etc

2»

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,672
    I'm well connected to the industry. What happens is that LiveNation and the Artist agree to certain blocks of tickets to be sold outside of the public, Ticketmaster inventory. These could be ticket blocks that go directly to the Artist, Sponsors, or other entities. Unfortunately some of these tickets make it to the secondary markets (Stubhub, SeatGeek) very often. There have been a number of times (and unfortunately this is becoming more popular) where the Artist, LiveNation (or whoever the promoter is), and Resellers make deals to hand them a big block of tickets and split the additional profits from increased prices.
    Bands have been selling blocks of tickets to brokers/scalpers for decades. Unfortunately it's not new.
    Involving TM is a new thing but there is nothing we can do about it as long as people are willing to pay whatever the bands ask for.
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 655
    Since tickets won't be able to be resold (outside NY and CO), do you think there will be fewer bots in the online sales?  Or will the bots buy the tickets and then their owners will be forced to dump the tickets back into the F2F resale when they realize there's no resale market?
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,535
    I'm well connected to the industry. What happens is that LiveNation and the Artist agree to certain blocks of tickets to be sold outside of the public, Ticketmaster inventory. These could be ticket blocks that go directly to the Artist, Sponsors, or other entities. Unfortunately some of these tickets make it to the secondary markets (Stubhub, SeatGeek) very often. There have been a number of times (and unfortunately this is becoming more popular) where the Artist, LiveNation (or whoever the promoter is), and Resellers make deals to hand them a big block of tickets and split the additional profits from increased prices.

this has happened for decades, it’s only recent that there have been accounts publicly admitting to this practice.

the artist doesn’t necessarily get a straight percentage (a potion of what they earn can be based on percentages) the artist typically  gets a guaranteed fee promised in advance of the tour.

the promoter is trying to maximize their investment by selling high priced tickets because they pay huge up front fees. Usually they win with high value acts like PJ but sometimes they lose.

it is 100% normal for entertainers to charge premium prices for premium tickets. But it’s taboo for rock bands, just like it was taboo for them to sell albums for $15 each. Now they get fractions of pennies from streaming

I submit to any fan on here: does it make any sense whatsoever that premium entertainment such as sports sells premium tickets, luxury boxes, coach’s club seats, etc for huge amounts of money but musicians should be limited to selling their top tickets for $98?  The Met, Broadway, etc, all sell expensive tickets, but lo and behold, a rock band must sell its next to stage tickets for $98.

What sense does that make?
  • smaksmak Posts: 232
    edited January 2020
    Concert tickets aren't Ticketmaster or Live Nations' tickets to sell offsite for a profit.  Any deal made between the artist and the ticket seller, is because the artist wants to make extra money.  If the artist says pull the best 500 seats and we're going to sell them to brokers, those are the artists tickets to sell.  Of course the ticket sellers will get their cut, but they don't initiate these things.

I know many instances of some of the major acts playing stadiums, where they siphon off hundreds of tickets and sell them to brokers for 3x face value or more, and make hundreds of thousands of dollars extra per show.  What's 500 tickets out of a 60,000 seat show?

Over the decades a pretty good % of the complaints that were made to ticket sellers like TM or LN should really have gone towards the artist.

Post edited by smak on
  • So to be clear, I’m in California, so any ticket I see offered anywhere, after all the verified sales and platinum sales and fan to fan are done, on something like Stubhub, will be fake or not usable, because it has to be in the original purchasers phone, correct? 

Kind of sucks that even if I or someone wanted to spend a grip and go, I couldn’t. Guess you can’t have it both ways. 
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    edited January 2020
    Neillo189 said:
    So to be clear, I’m in California, so any ticket I see offered anywhere, after all the verified sales and platinum sales and fan to fan are done, on something like Stubhub, will be fake or not usable, because it has to be in the original purchasers phone, correct? 

Kind of sucks that even if I or someone wanted to spend a grip and go, I couldn’t. Guess you can’t have it both ways. 
    No tickets on StubHub are fake. All verified. Probably belong to insiders if there are any available.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,933
    edited January 2020
    Neillo189 said:
    So to be clear, I’m in California, so any ticket I see offered anywhere, after all the verified sales and platinum sales and fan to fan are done, on something like Stubhub, will be fake or not usable, because it has to be in the original purchasers phone, correct? 

The California shows will not even be offered for sale on StubHub due to Pearl Jam’s tickets for this tour being non-transferable. As you can see right now, the only two North American shows listed on StubHub are Denver and New York due to laws in those states.
    Your best bet if you missed out on the 10C lottery, Verified Fan sale, or public sale is the face value fan-to-fan ticket exchange that will launch in February. Also, stay tuned to the message board as people will be offering extras here (would have to meet in person and enter together for those).
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • Realistically, how many tickets will even end up on the fan-to-fan ticket exchange? I feel like you will need to be watching that thing like a hawk to even have a remote chance of scoring tickets for the higher demand shows. I can envision Baltimore in particular being impossible to get into (normally I'd lump in MSG as well but NY law requires you to be able to transfer your tickets).
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    Realistically, how many tickets will even end up on the fan-to-fan ticket exchange? I feel like you will need to be watching that thing like a hawk to even have a remote chance of scoring tickets for the higher demand shows. I can envision Baltimore in particular being impossible to get into (normally I'd lump in MSG as well but NY law requires you to be able to transfer your tickets).
    That's what I'm thinking. Especially given the fact that solo folks won't be trying to pawn off their plus ones.