Options

Ten Club or Ticketmaster Lottery?

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited January 2020
    10 Club

I like the TM setup a lot better.  The only drawback I see is that more people will enter because it is easier to dump the tickets if they don't actually want them. 

I think I picked 10C originally because of the OAK/LA snafu but it has been fixed.  So if the priorities are maintained, TM all the way.

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    Ticketmaster
    I like smile tix option, BA option, and knowing my seat before I get there.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    Ticketmaster
    PearlJutt said:
    I think NOT knowing which options to choose to help your odds should maybe be answered? I mean what’s the sense of picking GA or RS when everyone that claims you should have chosen  BA ?? Then why choose at all ? In the end doesn’t everyone just want to atleast get tix? Showing odds as your making your selection left you not knowing which option TRULY is the best one. So Id say old Ten Club . Getting into the show was first n foremost  THEN  priority of seating secondary. Here it seems your possibly penalized for having a preference. 
     Although this tracking of the tickets should help with scalping prices, but in the end whats that do when everyone will go for the scraps .
    There are definitely members that only want GA or only seats, I'll take either so I like the the BA.  My hubby doesn't like GA, but since PJis my hobby he hangs back and lets me endure the pit and enjoy the energy.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Ticketmaster
    Being able to buy single ticket is the positive aspect of TM.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    This old whipper snapper prefers the 2003-2005 method where getting tickets was fucking easy through the club and if I was independently wealthy I could have literally gone to every show on those two tours (not including vote for change because that was not a pure pj event) 

Jeez 1996 was easier and less tightrope dancing.

but right now it is too early to say on the TM thing.  It seems to work better than the panic that has ensued. Yes there were glitches but there was also a shit ton of human error.

If it was 2000 and we had a future horizon of a lot of tours I would suggest they cap the amount of shows you can win as a certain max of those happening, for example if there are 15 shows you can win 5 or something, so you can put in for 15 but as soon as you hit 5 wins your entries than end.  dump the odds o meter, and dump the priority and go all in pure lottery.   

And also dump the psst... because you know what, if you can't keep you $20 or $40 bucks up to date that is really just on you.  End the last minute grab of meh fans who are jumping in to try and score through the FC that might just be fly by night. 

The biggest thing I am waiting to see, is did anyone and at what percentage did people who put BA in win GA.  I suspect that it will be very very few, which is all the more reason to dump priority and go all random and don't even allow GA only, do BA or Reserved. 

Old man rant, done. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    As they say, don’t fix what aint broke.  
    Exactly... bring back F5!
  • Options
    thefixer420thefixer420 Toronto, ON Posts: 54
    10 Club
    Big picture, scalping needs to be dealt with. This lottery and process should cut down on it significantly. Might not feel good now given some of the mystery, but you all should have a great chance of still getting tickets at face value through verified, general and F2F sales. At the end of the day, more fans will get in for less money. That's a win.
    Not knowing your seats ahead of time and WCO was by far a better deterrent to scalping. Now brokers can sell tickets knowing exact seat locations ahead of time, and they can transfer them either by simply forwarding them (NY, CO), or temporarily giving the buyer access to their TM account. Tickets can't be transferred out, so none can be stolen, and once the show ends, just change your account password. Rinse, repeat.
    Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010)
    Hamilton, Ontario (September 15, 2011)
    Budweiser Gardens (July 16, 2013)
    Buffalo, NY (October 12, 2013)
    Detroit, MI (October 16, 2014)
    Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016)
    Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016)
    Chicago Night 1 (August 18, 2018)
    Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018)
    Hamilton, Ontario (September 06, 2022)
  • Options
    Ticketmaster
    meczynsj said:
    Big picture, scalping needs to be dealt with. This lottery and process should cut down on it significantly. Might not feel good now given some of the mystery, but you all should have a great chance of still getting tickets at face value through verified, general and F2F sales. At the end of the day, more fans will get in for less money. That's a win.
    Not knowing your seats ahead of time and WCO was by far a better deterrent to scalping. Now brokers can sell tickets knowing exact seat locations ahead of time, and they can transfer them either by simply forwarding them (NY, CO), or temporarily giving the buyer access to their TM account. Tickets can't be transferred out, so none can be stolen, and once the show ends, just change your account password. Rinse, repeat.
    Forget NY for a second, as the state laws and demand are outliers. MSG will be a shitshow no matter what.

Not knowing your seats ahead of time was an ok deterrent to scalping 10C tix. It had its own huge drawbacks to those that wanted to keep their seats. But think about all the seats in the arena and SafeTix should cut down on the scalping problem overall.

Your suggested work around isn't without huge risk. For one thing, brokers would only be able to sell to one party at a time, then because if you give multiple people access, you're opening yourself up to people using tickets that aren't theirs and IP tracing would see multiple users and open you up to having your account suspended and tickets removed (if TM cares). Most importantly, as a scalper you're going to give your username and password away? To your account that probably has more tickets in it? To someone who can easily change the email address (no verification is required), mobile number and password and steal all your tickets? When you'll have no recourse because you can't really explain to TM what happened? 

On the demand side, VF and F2F will provide new ways for fans who want to attend to get face value tickets, which should cut down on the need to find scalped tickets. I have no idea how many will use F2F but it's worth a shot.

Lastly, PJ has apparently informed Stubhub, Seatgeek et al that tickets to their shows are not to be advertised for sale. People can have their tickets taken away, 10C memberships revoked and that sort of thing, if PJ/10C is diligent about following up on posted tickets.
  • Options
    Ticketmaster
    There probably is an alternative, you know. If 10C membership went up for the first time in 25 years to, say, $40 or $50 for digital (I don't know what they right number is) then they could maybe afford to do all this IT and point of sale stuff on their own.

So, what do you want? A more expensive fan club or a relationship with TM?
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,865
    edited January 2020
    10 Club
    I'm not a fan of the Best Available option, as I kind of feel like it hurts the chances of people who don't want GA, but I'm withholding final judgement until the shows start and we see how everything shakes out (though I did vote for 10 Club in this poll; I just don't like change!).
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    mpedone said:
    I'm not a fan of the Best Available option, as I kind of feel like it hurts the chances of people who don't want GA, but I'm withholding final judgement until the shows start and we see how everything shakes out (though I did vote for 10 Club in this poll; I just don't like change!).
    It did not hurt the chances of anyone who did not want GA. If anything it did the opposite by hurting the chances of anyone who wanted only GA. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    10 Club
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:
    It did not hurt the chances of anyone who did not want GA. If anything it did the opposite by hurting the chances of anyone who wanted only GA. 

People who wanted GA, but were willing to end up in RS, put in for BA. My understanding is that names were drawn and then either approved or denied based on their selection. So, after all the GA tickets were allotted, people who'd selected BA were still in the running and would get RS tickets. Under the old system, they'd have selected RS as their 2nd priority, and so they'd only get tickets if the RS lottery went past the first round. So, it added people to the first round of the Reserved lottery, lowering the odds.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• Options
    Ticketmaster
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:

People who wanted GA, but were willing to end up in RS, put in for BA. My understanding is that names were drawn and then either approved or denied based on their selection. So, after all the GA tickets were allotted, people who'd selected BA were still in the running and would get RS tickets. Under the old system, they'd have selected RS as their 2nd priority, and so they'd only get tickets if the RS lottery went past the first round. So, it added people to the first round of the Reserved lottery, lowering the odds.
    I'd argue more of the opposite happened, where people who would have put Reserved as choice 1, now picked BA thus watering down the GA pool
  • Options
    10 Club
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:

I'd argue more of the opposite happened, where people who would have put Reserved as choice 1, now picked BA thus watering down the GA pool

That's a fair point. I am now curious as to how that affected the odds both ways.

• Options
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:

No, under the old system many of us who just wanted to get in would have selected RES first, not second. That is what I always did until 2020. This time I went with BA because it maximized my chances of getting tickets. 

• Options
    10 Club
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:

No, under the old system many of us who just wanted to get in would have selected RES first, not second. That is what I always did until 2020. This time I went with BA because it maximized my chances of getting tickets. 

My perception (which I totally admit could be faulty) was that many people who wanted GA were selecting BA so that if they didn't get the much more elusive GA, they'd still get in the building.

• Options
    mjd327mjd327 Posts: 138
    Ticketmaster
    I've wanted to go GA, but never put in for it, because the odds of where I live (New York) are way too low. Reserved 1st was an easier way to raise the chances of getting in the building. It's hard to say if it's better or worse now. I really like the chance to have a shot at GA without sacrificing my chances, though I guess I lose the edge I used to have by choosing the reserved. If I ever win GA some day, it'll end up worth it though, and overall I like the chance to try for it.
  • Options
    Little ItalyLittle Italy Rochester, NY Posts: 404
    Lets see where the reserved seat locations are first... 
    "he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    10 Club
    Lets see where the reserved seat locations are first... 

This will be deceiving though if they got double the tickets this time.  We should all expect to be further back from where we were.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    10 Club
    Just got my first StubHub spam today. Never got StubHUb spam before. I guess Ticketmaster sold my info to them. 
  • Options
    10 Club
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:

Thinking more about this, and reading Demps's thread about their luck with the lottery, I rescind my objection to Best Available. It makes more sense than having people who are willing to be in either section prioritize and possibly miss out entirely. I'm still curious to see how this all shakes out.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    I like the fact with 10clubs we had it figured out and we knew what we were going to get. If a show was 99% like the ones for GA in Europe if you put that down as your 10th pick you get it. No confusion. I like the odds updating faster with the old system too and the fact I could look at the my tickets page to see if what I did is what I wanted. Yes you get emails from ticketmasters system but this is right there in front of you and there is no mistaking it if you messed up or not.  1 account. No crossing over two systems that can lead to user error or unintentional error not foreseen from TM. If this is the system going forward we need better explanation what the odds mean too. 

That said I love the fact they did get more seats obviously. Toronto people actually got it as a 4th pick which is amazing. I also liked the fact that I got charged in CAN for my Canadian shows. Saving on the exchange rate fees makes a difference. 3 days was the perfect length for the draw. I am very interested to see how this fan to face works. It will be a broken system if bots and scalpers can just snatch up tickets as they are dropped and then resell them on secondary markets. It is not a hard thing to do to make a throwaway TM account and sell it with the tickets. I hope there is some way to combat this. 

I will miss out on the day of the show will call lines believe it or not and meeting up with fans and exchanging tickets in person with people that I have met on this board. I have made plenty of friends just having spares and meeting them at the venue chatting and staying connected. While single tickets are a good option for sure this will still be missed by me.

I also wonder now that we can just throwback our tickets that we do not want without penalty what is that going to do to the Tenclub numbers. I hope they do not skyrocket in attempts for people to have multiple shots at tickets now they just need an account and do not need Id or even need to show up in the city the show is happening. I really see noway of that not happening. That said I am optimistic that the next lottery will go smoother and see this system being an change that could be for the better. Its just not there yet.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Ticketmaster
    PJNB said:
    I like the fact with 10clubs we had it figured out and we knew what we were going to get. If a show was 99% like the ones for GA in Europe if you put that down as your 10th pick you get it. No confusion. I like the odds updating faster with the old system too and the fact I could look at the my tickets page to see if what I did is what I wanted. Yes you get emails from ticketmasters system but this is right there in front of you and there is no mistaking it if you messed up or not.  1 account. No crossing over two systems that can lead to user error or unintentional error not foreseen from TM. If this is the system going forward we need better explanation what the odds mean too. 

That said I love the fact they did get more seats obviously. Toronto people actually got it as a 4th pick which is amazing. I also liked the fact that I got charged in CAN for my Canadian shows. Saving on the exchange rate fees makes a difference. 3 days was the perfect length for the draw. I am very interested to see how this fan to face works. It will be a broken system if bots and scalpers can just snatch up tickets as they are dropped and then resell them on secondary markets. It is not a hard thing to do to make a throwaway TM account and sell it with the tickets. I hope there is some way to combat this. 

I will miss out on the day of the show will call lines believe it or not and meeting up with fans and exchanging tickets in person with people that I have met on this board. I have made plenty of friends just having spares and meeting them at the venue chatting and staying connected. While single tickets are a good option for sure this will still be missed by me.

I also wonder now that we can just throwback our tickets that we do not want without penalty what is that going to do to the Tenclub numbers. I hope they do not skyrocket in attempts for people to have multiple shots at tickets now they just need an account and do not need Id or even need to show up in the city the show is happening. I really see noway of that not happening. That said I am optimistic that the next lottery will go smoother and see this system being an change that could be for the better. Its just not there yet.
    I'm interested to see how this exchange goes. Outside of Baltimore, I'm curious how quickly the so-so and worse seats get snapped up. We all focus on the fact that you can't ask for over face, but it doesn't sound as if you can ask for under either. Will upper level seats in Oklahoma City, etc. get snapped up for $125? We'll see.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    There probably is an alternative, you know. If 10C membership went up for the first time in 25 years to, say, $40 or $50 for digital (I don't know what they right number is) then they could maybe afford to do all this IT and point of sale stuff on their own.

For the first time in 25 years? I feel like it was only 10 years ago it was only $10 and analog was the only option. Then it went to $20, then a year or two the analog/digital option.
    Or is my timeline way off?
  • Options
    10 Club
    mace1229 said:

For the first time in 25 years? I feel like it was only 10 years ago it was only $10 and analog was the only option. Then it went to $20, then a year or two the analog/digital option.

My membership lapsed in 07, and it was more than $10. I think it was $30-35.

• Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    Ticketmaster
    Got BA Priority 1 straight away but then it was tricky for 4 - 5 days with no news and TM telling me I did not get any at all for my second choice, finaly winning BA for Priority 2.   I would say being able to get 2 nights in the lottery was pretty amazing.  Compare a lot of odds to 2016 - there were double the chances this time.  It is better in my opinion. 
  • Options
    I got shut out of all 4 Cali shows I put in for. I love Pearl Jam but will not sit in some shit seats with some drunk assholes who want to scream better man at talk the rest of the night. I’m in the fan club to be with fan club members at shows. I’m really thinking this has made me realize the fan club isn’t even worth 20 bucks anymore. I understand not getting all four shows. But not even one. It just sucks. And I’m not jumping through Ticketmaster loops to score tickets. Shit like this has to be planned. I can’t get tickets same day and drive 3-5 hours one way to a show. Fuck this. I’m beyond destroyed right now. 
    Do they typically seat 10C all in the same sections?  I didn't even think about this honestly.  I have to get presale tickets for a friend today and I was worried that the presale seats would be better than what I got from 10C, but if the 10C seats provide a better experience (i.e. NOT being near drunk assholes) then so be it.
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:

I joined in 2008 and have never paid more than $20. 

• Options
    10 Club
    JimmyV said:
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:

I joined in 2008 and have never paid more than $20. 

My memory isn't the best, apparently. Still more than $10, though!

• Options
    gatorjamgatorjam West Palm Beach, Florida Posts: 187
    10 Club
    I screwed up by not reading the instructions carefully, but I got the show I wanted with the ten club presale.  Now I would be pissed if I registered for Verified and didn't get a code.  My friend is in that boat, so if anyone has any extra Denver tickets let me know.
    2003-Tampa
    2006-East Rutherford
    2008-West Palm Beach
    2009- Philadelphia
    2016- Fort Lauderdale and Miami