RIP Neil Peart

Comments

• euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    RF283499 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Image result for eddie vedder and rush
    I forgot about that and I was there. Little stoned I suppose. Ed mentioned him, maybe more than once during the show. Didn't somebody play a few bars of a Rush song too??
    Yep they tried to :) .. but just acknowledged him and that was it.

• ski-bum said:
    One of the best diners that ever lived. 

Indeed.
    He was also one of the best drummers.

Damn.  Wasn't my favorite band but I loved watching him drum.  Amazing kit!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    euchrid said:
    RF283499 said:
    You have to figure Pearl Jam are Rush fans. 
    Not too sure about that. I don’t think Rush was too influential on the Seattle music scene as they were a progressive rock act.  In fact, I remember and interview where Kim Thayil said Mark Arm called Soundgarden the “Rush of Seattle” at one time sarcastically as Arm was j own to do. Kind of a shot if you will. 
    Thayil said he responded “what? I don’t even have any of their records” and laughed. 

I will say, even people who hate Rush will say they are amazing musicians.  I am a huge Rush fan and have 2112 on the turntable right now. RIP Neil. 
    Geddy Lee was sitting side stage at last Toronto show and https://www.instagram.com/p/B5lpzigpWK8/
    Respecting a fellow musician and being a fan/influence are two different things. All I’m saying. 
    You don’t hear Rush being played on Sirius as an influence but the Stones, Neil Young, Beatles, Zeppelin, the Who, etc. are played constantly.  

If they are fans, I will happily stand corrected. 🤙.  The early 90s alternative scene was all railing against the “pretentious” rockers with the huge drum sets and wild stage shows... 
    Well we know they're fans of extremely understated performers such as KISS and The Who.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • It appears he had the same brain cancer as Gord Downie. 
    Fuck Cancer 
  • RF283499RF283499 Posts: 141
    RF283499 said:
    euchrid said:
    RF283499 said:
    Not too sure about that. I don’t think Rush was too influential on the Seattle music scene as they were a progressive rock act.  In fact, I remember and interview where Kim Thayil said Mark Arm called Soundgarden the “Rush of Seattle” at one time sarcastically as Arm was j own to do. Kind of a shot if you will. 
    Thayil said he responded “what? I don’t even have any of their records” and laughed. 

I will say, even people who hate Rush will say they are amazing musicians.  I am a huge Rush fan and have 2112 on the turntable right now. RIP Neil. 
    Geddy Lee was sitting side stage at last Toronto show and https://www.instagram.com/p/B5lpzigpWK8/
    Respecting a fellow musician and being a fan/influence are two different things. All I’m saying. 
    You don’t hear Rush being played on Sirius as an influence but the Stones, Neil Young, Beatles, Zeppelin, the Who, etc. are played constantly.  

If they are fans, I will happily stand corrected. 🤙.  The early 90s alternative scene was all railing against the “pretentious” rockers with the huge drum sets and wild stage shows... 
    Wild stage shows, like using the lighting rig as a monkey bar set? ;-)
    Lol. That was awesome. Unplanned shit. 
    The wild stage shows I meant were the pre-planned fire and explosions and monsters and all that shit. Some of it was great to me, but most of the alternative music scene wasn’t doing any of that.
    Now they are all just old rock bands so they respect each other as professionals. Just my opinion. 
    I get all that. I knew what you meant. I am cool with your opinion and I agree. The punk scene in 70s England was the same. They hated on Pink Floyd specifically.

PJ has there own kind of bombastic rock thing going on too. They are performers as well as musicians. Its show business. 

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    RIP Neal.  One of the greatest.  
    edited January 2020
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited January 2020

Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • RF283499RF283499 Posts: 141
    pjl44 said:
    euchrid said:
    RF283499 said:

Well we know they're fans of extremely understated performers such as KISS and The Who.
    Once again... I’m talking about the progressive rockers. Genesis, Yes, King Crimson.  They aren’t cited as influences by the band (at least not that I’ve ever heard).  90s alternative was a backlash against that and the 80s hair metal. 
    I remember,  I was in Grade 10 the first time I heard Janes Addiction, the Chilis, Dinosaur Jr., etc. All around 1989-90.  
    I’m not arguing, I’d love to be wrong. It’s just how I remember that time period. 
    >>>  90s alternative was a backlash against that and the 80s hair metal. 

For sure, the sound was stripped down and more like rock in the early half of the 70s. Pre-disco era. 
    edited January 2020
  • SystemSystem Posts: 13
    This discussion was created from comments split from: 2020 United States & Canada Tour Rumors.
  • Huge bummer and loss...fuck cancer
    edited January 2020
    System said:
    This discussion was created from comments split from: 2020 United States & Canada Tour Rumors.
    Yeah, I don’t know why/how that happened. Sorry about that everyone. 

EDIT - Sea did it. With all due respect this was the wrong thread to split that conversation into.. there was another that would have been more appropriate. 
  • JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    Sad news indeed. Same cancer that took Gord Downie. 

I hope PJ does some nod to him in the upcoming shows. 
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Posts: 4,641
    edited January 2020
    Am very lucky to have seen them live a few times and I am greatly saddened for Neal's passing.  Loved the Roll the Bones tour and album.  Why are we here?  Because we're here - Roll the Bones.  Thank you, Neal.  Rest in Peace and thanks for all the entertainment.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Heard this on my way home tonight, very sad and shocking.  RIP indeed. 
  • sebastisebasti Posts: 12
    I was so excited when PJ update their social accounts last night that I woke my husband up to tell him. I was glued to my computer all day with anticipation. Then I heard this. Now I’m just spinning 2112 and periodically cursing. 
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    sebasti said:
    I was so excited when PJ update their social accounts last night that I woke my husband up to tell him. I was glued to my computer all day with anticipation. Then I heard this. Now I’m just spinning 2112 and periodically cursing. 
    Me too. The day started off so great and was destroyed when I heard this news. It's been Rush all day. I'm devastated. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • As a Canadian growing up in the 80's, Rush was one of the first concerts I saw and was in complete awe!  Their songs were anthems.  The shows I saw throughout the years and their music were so influential.  So glad I was able to bring my 2 Daughters to see them in Montreal 2012(they were then 15 and 17)  they were equally in awe.  RIP Neil.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    rip neil what an amazing drummer
    danny d
  • booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 263
    I'll never forget waiting in line in 1993 for the midnight release of Counterparts. Another album was released that same day - Vs. Of course I loved Ten, but I figured Pearl Jam would probably be like most bands - release a great album with a few hits, then fade away into mediocrity. I went back to my apartment with both CD's, listened to Counterparts once, listened to Vs. about 10 times, woke up the next afternoon, and realized that Rush was no longer my favorite band. There's still a special place in my heart for Rush. That heart goes out to Geddy & Alex. Neil lost his daughter and wife way too soon. May they all rest in peace. Neil's drumming and his amazing lyrics will live forever.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Bummed about this one. RIP to one of the best drummers ever.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    mfc2006 said:
    ..same here!  Listening to RUSH albums all day!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • This is probably the first time I teared up when about the passing of someone I didn't even know.  Neil was not the typically rock star.  He didn't not like fame and left Alex and Geddy handle the meet and greets.  Like meet he's an introvert in a world that really doesn't understand them.  His lyrcis weren't only about sci-fi and fantasy, they were about climate change and social injustice.  Writing about these long before most others.  He will be missed
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • FYI Deep Tracks Ch 27 on Sirius is in the middle of a Neil Peart Rush tribute. It’s for a limited time, but I’m parked in front of my house listening to The Camera Eye and I can’t get out of my truck... 
    The longest this stereo has been off Ch 22 in a decade. 
  • mfc2006 said:
    Agreed.
    Also one of the most underrated lyricists ever. 
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    F CANCER. I Piss on you cancer. RIP Mr. Peart. Gb you and your family. I am forever grateful to have heard/experienced your art
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • euchrid said:
    RF283499 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Image result for eddie vedder and rush
    I forgot about that and I was there. Little stoned I suppose. Ed mentioned him, maybe more than once during the show. Didn't somebody play a few bars of a Rush song too??
    Yep they tried to :) .. but just acknowledged him and that was it.

Ed:  "XYZ, we're in the MNOP area" when trying to cover Rush.  LOL