RIP Neil Peart

ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,012
edited January 2020 in The Porch
One of the best diners that ever lived. 
9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
Post edited by ski-bum on

Comments

• RF283499RF283499 Posts: 141
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/neil-peart-obit-1.5422806

Neil Peart RIP.

Thought this thread was a good place because there are so many people on this. 
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    RF283499 said:

Neil Peart RIP.

WTF!!!!!! NO!!!!!!

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    RF283499 said:

Neil Peart RIP.

Damn. RIP Neil
    JW269453 said:
    RF283499 said:

Neil Peart RIP.

Damn. RIP Neil
    Perhaps the greatest rock drummer ever. He grew up in the city in which I live. Home of the real Lakeside Park. 
  • mschostokmschostok Posts: 858
    RIP, that breakdown in Tom Sawyer gives me chills every time. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    Just read this.

Heartbroken.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    Not a rush fan, but he was probably one of the best drummers to ever live. 
  • link93link93 Posts: 410
    RIP Neil way too young. Glad I got to see him Drum many times. 
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    Jesus. This really caught me off guard. Just terrible news. I'm shocked. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,193
    Oh shit. That is awful news. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Love that band. Rip
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    very sad about neil peart. i was lucky in the 80's to have seen them standing at the sound and lighting board.my friend did the lighting.  it was a real great experience. he was an incredible drummer. some one whose style cannot be replaced. probably why they stopped touring. he apparently was a very private person and probably didn't want this to get out. on their last show he came out from his drum kit for the first time ever at the end to say goodbye with his band. 
  • Damn damn damn, RIP Neil Peart
    Not only an amazing drummer but wrote most of Rush’s lyrics
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,280
    Ugh. This sucks. RIP Neil. 
    You have to figure Pearl Jam are Rush fans. 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415
    Terrible. So grateful to have seen a show with him drumming out if his mind. Legend.
  • SluzziSluzzi Toronto Posts: 9
    So sad right now!  Was lucky enough to see them Live.  Drum solo on Workin’ Man is incredible...RIP
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    Fuck cancer, man. GOAT.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    RF283499 said:
    Not too sure about that. I don’t think Rush was too influential on the Seattle music scene as they were a progressive rock act.  In fact, I remember and interview where Kim Thayil said Mark Arm called Soundgarden the “Rush of Seattle” at one time sarcastically as Arm was j own to do. Kind of a shot if you will. 
    Thayil said he responded “what? I don’t even have any of their records” and laughed. 

I will say, even people who hate Rush will say they are amazing musicians.  I am a huge Rush fan and have 2112 on the turntable right now. RIP Neil. 
    Geddy Lee was sitting side stage at last Toronto show and https://www.instagram.com/p/B5lpzigpWK8/
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Image result for eddie vedder and rush
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    RF283499 said:
    100%

Geddy Lee was sitting on stage (with the sound guys) at one of the last PJ Toronto shows. And in a different Toronto show Eddie name-checked him in a Wishlist line.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,536
    RF283499 said:
    Not too sure about that. I don’t think Rush was too influential on the Seattle music scene as they were a progressive rock act.  In fact, I remember and interview where Kim Thayil said Mark Arm called Soundgarden the “Rush of Seattle” at one time sarcastically as Arm was j own to do. Kind of a shot if you will. 
    Thayil said he responded “what? I don’t even have any of their records” and laughed. 

I will say, even people who hate Rush will say they are amazing musicians.  I am a huge Rush fan and have 2112 on the turntable right now. RIP Neil. 

I never thought I'd get news like this on the PJ forum.  

Died Jan 7th Brain cancer. So sad. Life is a precious gift.

This might explain why Ged n Alex have done nothing publicly in music together in past 5 years.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 836
    euchrid said:
    RF283499 said:

Geddy Lee was sitting side stage at last Toronto show and https://www.instagram.com/p/B5lpzigpWK8/
    Respecting a fellow musician and being a fan/influence are two different things. All I’m saying. 
    You don’t hear Rush being played on Sirius as an influence but the Stones, Neil Young, Beatles, Zeppelin, the Who, etc. are played constantly.  

If they are fans, I will happily stand corrected. 🤙.  The early 90s alternative scene was all railing against the “pretentious” rockers with the huge drum sets and wild stage shows... 
    I saw Gene Simmons sitting in the close in 100 level section during the last LA show at the old Sports Arena.
  • booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 263
    I'm crushed.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Image result for eddie vedder and rush
    I forgot about that and I was there. Little stoned I suppose. Ed mentioned him, maybe more than once during the show. Didn't somebody play a few bars of a Rush song too??
    euchrid said:
    RF283499 said:

Respecting a fellow musician and being a fan/influence are two different things. All I’m saying. 
    You don’t hear Rush being played on Sirius as an influence but the Stones, Neil Young, Beatles, Zeppelin, the Who, etc. are played constantly.  

If they are fans, I will happily stand corrected. 🤙.  The early 90s alternative scene was all railing against the “pretentious” rockers with the huge drum sets and wild stage shows... 
    Wild stage shows, like using the lighting rig as a monkey bar set? ;-)
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    Rip Neil.... really sad news
  • link93link93 Posts: 410
    Rush had nothing to do with the 80's and 90's big hair bands. Actually many artists talk about being influenced by Rush. Love both bands.