GREAT band lost it's way

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,212
    Wow.  Let me get some popcorn ready. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    #dontshirtyourself
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    I always felt the band does things in moderation.  Have their ticket prices gone up?  Yes.  Are they insane as most other stadium/arena tour bands? No.  Not even close.  That's the whole industry having undergone massive increase in ticket prices, but PJ not following them all the way to the top.  Bands don't make money making music anymore, so it is understandable that the one thing they sell (the live experience) that can't be duplicated, is the thing they lean on to earn their $$'s.

Yah shirts are $40, but they were $30/$35 when I was buying them 20 years ago.   That's just inflation.

I suppose I'm happy my favourite band since I was 14 still tours.  Watching so many other ones fall like dominos, it seems amazing mine has gone the distance. 

Plus the band is older now, their not young pups anymore.    We grew up watching bands like the Stones and Sabbath being veteran rock bands, not outputting much anymore.    Never did I think that PJ would be immune from older age creative output struggles.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    enjoy the good, don't focus on the bad

not just in relation to the band, across the board....you will be a lot happier
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077

I'm old enough to remember when a dime bag cost a dime.

• KusyKusy Posts: 351
    The child is grown
    The dream is gone.
    2007: Chorzow, PL
    2014: Gdynia, PL
    2017: EV Solo Berlin, DE
    2018: PinkPop Festival, NL; London #1, UK; Padova, ITA; Prague, CZ; Krakow, PL; Berlin; DE; London #2, UK
    2019: EV Solo Berlin, DE
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,794
    Aren't the shirts $35
    I miss igotid88
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    Poncier said:
    OK boomer.
    What does this mean? I've been seeing this a lot. 
    LOL....you go thread to thread asking for translations on slang?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    igotid88 said:
    Aren't the shirts $35
    Lol. They sure are. See OP...it’s not that bad after all! 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    bbiggs said:
    igotid88 said:
    Aren't the shirts $35
    Lol. They sure are. See OP...it’s not that bad after all! 
    Things just got 12.5% better!

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    edited January 2020
    Poncier said:
    OK boomer.
    What does this mean? I've been seeing this a lot. 
    LOL....you go thread to thread asking for translations on slang?
    LOL....you go thread to thread stalking other posters? You made enough of a fool of yourself in the other thread. Why follow me here and bother commenting?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Corrected
    OK Boom!
  • NM70698NM70698 Posts: 76
    As other people noted, the prices are simply a matter of inflation.  That $20 you spent on a shirt in 1995 was roughly equal to $35 in today's dollars. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,672
    NM70698 said:
    As other people noted, the prices are simply a matter of inflation.  That $20 you spent on a shirt in 1995 was roughly equal to $35 in today's dollars. 
    But but but what happened  to The Boys sticking it to the man and making things cheaper and easier for the jamily??!!
  • NM70698 said:
    That may be true about a t-shirt. But ticket prices are a different issue. In 2000, tickets were (I believe) $35 for the Binaural tour. With inflation, that would be about $53 today. PJ tickets are more expensive than that today. Not that I'm being critical. Supply and demand...charge whatever you want. Especially for such a long-running, popular act like Pearl Jam. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    NM70698 said:
    That may be true about a t-shirt. But ticket prices are a different issue. In 2000, tickets were (I believe) $35 for the Binaural tour. With inflation, that would be about $53 today. PJ tickets are more expensive than that today. Not that I'm being critical. Supply and demand...charge whatever you want. Especially for such a long-running, popular act like Pearl Jam. 
    in 2000 people still bought music in physical formats.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

NM70698 said:
    But it's still cheaper than most acts of their stature. And even some newer acts. If you have to pay $300 for floor seats I would understand.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    NM70698 said:
    But it's still cheaper than most acts of their stature. And even some newer acts. If you have to pay $300 for floor seats I would understand.
    This is true. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    NM70698 said:

True, but how many factors outside of the bands' performance fee influences this? Venue fee, security, taxes, ticket agent, road crew, buses, fuel etc etc.

Most, if not all of those are out of their control.

NM70698 said:

True, but how many factors outside of the bands' performance fee influences this? Venue fee, security, taxes, ticket agent, road crew, buses, fuel etc etc.

Most, if not all of those are out of their control.

Was gonna say the same
    I miss igotid88
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    PB11041 said:
    NM70698 said:
    Exactly.  All you fuckers that were stealing music caused this nonsense.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    PB11041 said:
    NM70698 said:
    Exactly.  All you fuckers that were stealing music caused this nonsense.
    I think it is even more the invention of the MP3 player and ultimately iTunes.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,269
    40 dollars for a shirt does suck. But a crunchy taco at Taco Bell is like 1.59 now. When I was a teenager they were .39. You could buy a ten pack for 4 bucks. That was the 90’s when this band you speak of stood for something. Everything is expensive anymore. Maybe they should be more like the Eagles or the Stones and charge a minimum of 250 per ticket for the worst seats. Inflation sucks. Pearl Jam does not. 
    When I was in high school (late 90s too) Taco Bell ran a special for 29 cent tacos. I had a friend who was very poor at math. We went to TB, he handed the cashier a $10 bill and ask for as many tacos as he could get. She looked at him weird, and asked "do you really want 29 tacos?" 
    He responds with "umm, no. I'll just take 5 tacos then."

• mace1229 said:
    40 dollars for a shirt does suck. But a crunchy taco at Taco Bell is like 1.59 now. When I was a teenager they were .39. You could buy a ten pack for 4 bucks. That was the 90’s when this band you speak of stood for something. Everything is expensive anymore. Maybe they should be more like the Eagles or the Stones and charge a minimum of 250 per ticket for the worst seats. Inflation sucks. Pearl Jam does not. 
    When I was in high school (late 90s too) Taco Bell ran a special for 29 cent tacos. I had a friend who was very poor at math. We went to TB, he handed the cashier a $10 bill and ask for as many tacos as he could get. She looked at him weird, and asked "do you really want 29 tacos?" 

Apparently she was also very poor at math.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    mace1229 said:

Or very high.

• DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    Should I bring my cat to the show?
  • I am the only one?
    Who remembers a band that stood for something?
    Not only was the music THE BEST, but the ideals matched
    Did I spend $500 for 4 tickets to 2 shows & will I also spend a couple thousand dollars to travel & stay in Europe to see them...YES
    But must I also pay $40 for a fucking T-shirt?!
    They used to care, & that REALLY meant something to me
    & as WILDLY STOKED as I am to see them & hoping for greatness...I'd be lying if I didn't say they've turned into everything else....oh, except for still making records? Signed one of your VERY biggest fans
    Remembers a band that stood for something?  

Pearl Jam concerts at Safeco Field raise $11 million to fight homelessness in Seattle

They don't just stand for something -- they actually DO something about it.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • eddiec said:
    mace1229 said:

Or very high.

Why not both?

2016: Toronto I, Chicago I + II
    2018: Seattle I + II, Chicago I + II
    2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec, Hamilton, Nashville, St. Louis, Krakow, Budapest, Zurich
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    edited January 2020
    mace1229 said:

Or the meal tax was 10% or so
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I am the only one?
    Who remembers a band that stood for something?
    Not only was the music THE BEST, but the ideals matched
    Did I spend $500 for 4 tickets to 2 shows & will I also spend a couple thousand dollars to travel & stay in Europe to see them...YES
    But must I also pay $40 for a fucking T-shirt?!
    They used to care, & that REALLY meant something to me
    & as WILDLY STOKED as I am to see them & hoping for greatness...I'd be lying if I didn't say they've turned into everything else....oh, except for still making records? Signed one of your VERY biggest fans
    Remembers a band that stood for something?  

Pearl Jam concerts at Safeco Field raise $11 million to fight homelessness in Seattle

They don't just stand for something -- they actually DO something about it.