Is Pearl Jam classic rock?

Comments

• For me 'classic rock' has always meant 60s and 70s... 
    rustedsigns
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Definitely classic rock.  The 90's was along time ago at this point!
    Agreed. We were closer to the release of Led Zeppelin's first album when Ten came out than we are now to the release of Ten.

I remember how it felt like Led Zeppelin had been around forever in the 80's and their first album was only 10 years old!

Or in high school going to see the Rolling Stones on their early 80's stadium tour and they seemed old and I remember people saying "SEE THEM NOW BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE!"  hahaha
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Additionally, it’s probably classic rock to someone who didn’t grow up with it. I wasn’t around for bands like The Beatles and Led Zep so that feels like classic rock to me due to its “mystique.” I saw it all happen for bands like PJ and Nirvana (from Nevermind onwards, anyway) so there are just good memories... no mystique.
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
    anyone who thinks "classic" rock is only stuck in the 60's and 70's is stuck in a moment in time and dosen't want to accept that we are all get  older and have an expiration date. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    anyone who thinks "classic" rock is only stuck in the 60's and 70's is stuck in a moment in time and dosen't want to accept that we are all get  older and have an expiration date. 

No one is thinking that.   No one will argue with you if the definition of classic means more than 20 years old.   To me classic rock never related to age, but to a certain era/style of rock music.  I don't think we need to label something by age.  That is stupid.  It will be weird when classic rocks cover a period of music over 100 years long when we get to 2070 (assuming rock started in 1950).     

• SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011

No one is thinking that.   No one will argue with you if the definition of classic means more than 20 years old.   To me classic rock never related to age, but to a certain era/style of rock music.  I don't think we need to label something by age.  That is stupid.  It will be weird when classic rocks cover a period of music over 100 years long when we get to 2070 (assuming rock started in 1950).     

Dont we do that now with, i dont know CLASSICAL music? At this rate anyway, rock is dead to the new generation. Its all classic to them, even if the song came out a week ago. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited January 2020
    Classical music is a style and has nothing to do with age.  

If it was all about age then it would be impossible to write new classical music. 
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    Total Dad rock for me. Not that there's anything wrong with it. Gonna See My Friend, Supersonic and Lightning Bolt? They can still bare their teeth on occasion (seems to me they usually do with songs in B) but hell the Foos and Green Day are Dad rock now and their gigs have a harder edge than PJ at present. Obviously classic rock too-hell when I got into PJ Zep had been gone 15 years and anything from the 70s I thought was classic.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    It trips me out to think that 90s music is to kids today what 60’s music was to me. A different time, a different place.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,555
    Is Lizzo soul?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Not sure I really understand what this 'dad' rock thing is, I don't think we use this term in Europe. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,954
    Brisk. said:
    Not sure I really understand what this 'dad' rock thing is, I don't think we use this term in Europe. 

You must not have millennials and hipsters over there.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Anybody else cringe a little now when pj plays songs like "deep"?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    edited January 2020
    on2legs said:
    Brisk. said:

You must not have millennials and hipsters over there.
    I am a millenial! My dad listened to Jefferson Airplane and the The Who. I just call this good music..
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,744
    Is Lizzo soul?
    Nah. Shes pop with large threads of Hip Hop and R&B.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,269
    mcgruff10 said:
    My least favorite from 10, but still better than most songs post Binaural.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    mcgruff10 said:
    I love Deep on Ten. I love Deep from early shows. But yea, if you don’t have the same passion that you once did, it’s time to retire it. That can be said for any song where the passion isn’t the same. Or rework it. And call it Shallow. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Can't touch the bottom
    In too the dad rock, genre
    Uh-huh, can't touch the bottom
    Into dad rock, yeah

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    I like that they are classic rock on the radio. Makes me listen to those channels even more.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,744
    Isn' the term "classic rock" really just for radio though so it can be differentiated from Current rock, or alternative or Indie/college? 

You go into a record store or iTunes or Amazon, its all just "rock". 

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Can't touch the bottom
    In too the dad rock, genre
    Uh-huh, can't touch the bottom
    Into dad rock, yeah
    I listen to Nails and Little Kim’s first album on top of everything else. And I’m a dad. Does that make Nails dad rock too?
    That term is wack. Now if PJ ventures into Yacht Rock waters we will have a problem. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    mcgruff10 said:
    I hear ya (sorta the same with Leash) but seeing that I’ve yet to witness Deep (goddam why didn’t I attend Toronto 2 in 2011????) I hope they play it at least one more time.

• no
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    I think PJ is classic rock.  I started hearing 90s era bands on classic rock radio about 12 years ago.   It's rock that's classic.  Modern rock is mostly bland, without lead singers who have a serious set of identifiable pipes.   Given that PJ put out their first album 27+ years ago I definitely think it falls into classic rock.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Zod said:
    I think PJ is classic rock.  I started hearing 90s era bands on classic rock radio about 12 years ago.   It's rock that's classic.  Modern rock is mostly bland, without lead singers who have a serious set of identifiable pipes.   Given that PJ put out their first album 27+ years ago I definitely think it falls into classic rock.

Well said.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Classic rock - yes. They have earned the rights for radio stations to play their music alongside the greats from the decades prior.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • But I will also accept "dad-rock".
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Dilf Rock
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Classic rock - yes. They have earned the rights for radio stations to play their music alongside the greats from the decades prior.
    Also well said. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."