Options

New to collecting vinyl production primer.....

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
edited January 2020 in Other Music
Have gotten back into collecting and am now clueing into these companies. Back when before the booze and drugs took over it was all first and second pressings or used of the same. Fast Forward 30 some odd yrs(fuck where does the time go?)

So help a fella out. These are officially licensed pressings through these places? As opposed to the bootleg pirated stuff?

And would the difference be in whether or not a title has a barcode and or other signifiers?

What should I look for and from whom are reliable quality pressing coming from? Whatever tips , suggestions etc are most welcome by me and I would assume others

edit to add, what companies to look for and which to avoid.......

I guess this is the primer for the noob
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by mickeyrat on

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    edited December 2019
    Go to www.discogs.com     That site has a pretty good handle on all versions.  Even gives you barcode info and oftentimes the runout info.   If something is unofficial it will say so.  
  • Options
    Go to www.discogs.com     That site has a pretty good handle on all versions.  Even gives you barcode info and oftentimes the runout info.   If something is unofficial it will say so.  
    Best advice right there.  I have recently got back into the vinyl world and that website is fantastic.
    For Pearl Jam specifics you can also look here:
    http://www.pjcollectors.com/category.asp?id=2

Great for reference purposes. Cheers! 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773

Good idea!

Also, cruise the Hoffman "Music Corner" thread.  Lot's a great advice there:

In fact, if you run across any Steve Hoffman vinyl remasters- grab them!  They are great.  I'm also partial to Analog Productions.  Jack White's Third Man Records' reissues are very good.  More recent Sundazed as well as Rhino reissues are great but some of both of their earlier stuff, not so great.

Some labels I've had back luck with:

Edsel Records
    Simply Vinyl
    Vinyl Lovers

Best of luck and have fun with collecting vinyl!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Good idea!

In fact, if you run across any Steve Hoffman vinyl remasters- grab them!  They are great.  I'm also partial to Analog Productions.  Jack White's Third Man Records' reissues are very good.  More recent Sundazed as well as Rhino reissues are great but some of both of their earlier stuff, not so great.

Edsel Records
    Simply Vinyl
    Vinyl Lovers

Edsel didn't make it in the automotive world so no reason in thinking they would make it in the record world, lol!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Good idea!

Edsel Records
    Simply Vinyl
    Vinyl Lovers

Edsel didn't make it in the automotive world so no reason in thinking they would make it in the record world, lol!
    Haha!  True! 

Edsel Records out are out Great Britain.  Moving across "the pond" didn't make a damn bit of difference, LOL.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    help a fella out.

you guys are getting into technical details in the vinyl thread that I woulid appreciate learning and maybe others too. So any info you can offer the ignorant(me) would be great......

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    mickeyrat said:
    help a fella out.

you guys are getting into technical details in the vinyl thread that I woulid appreciate learning and maybe others too. So any info you can offer the ignorant(me) would be great......

Discogs.  Create a profile and start cataloging your records there from the start.  When you talk about something with years of pressings, you need a flashlight on the run out grooves to see what you have.  We're actually not being all that technical; however, experience informs us that there are certain engineers, plants and distributors that we trust to put out a good product vs a crappy one.  I don't buy any record today without checking Discogs for the ratings and reviews.  
  • Options
    Example... Monk's Dream which were discussing earlier today.  I actually went to my local high end shop today (Audio Exchange in Richmond, VA) and they offered me this for $125, which I think is close to original list, even though it's out of print:  https://www.discogs.com/The-Thelonious-Monk-Quartet-Monks-Dream/release/14174187
    You can see all the details, ratings, who cut the lacquer, where, etc. 
    Whereas I have this copy...  cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearant... https://www.discogs.com/The-Thelonious-Monk-Quartet-Monks-Dream/release/11537615

So you sort of read up on what you're thinking of purchasing, and go from there.  I think MendoK and I are probably on the super anal side of this audiophile thing.  So it just depends on how much time/energy you want to waste. 
  • Options
    ok. Am already registered on discogs.  so can you post a list of those folks and places you trust over others.

havent played it yet but saw a copy of love supreme at one of my locals. pressed in moskow of all places, didnt ask the owner if he'd heard it or not, so if I'm bit its on me totally.

I do think I am going more used where they can found, unless it's never pressed stuff then I have a decision to make. Stick with cd to utilize my changer or......look for cassette to utilize THAT component.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    ok. Am already registered on discogs.  so can you post a list of those folks and places you trust over others.

havent played it yet but saw a copy of love supreme at one of my locals. pressed in moskow of all places, didnt ask the owner if he'd heard it or not, so if I'm bit its on me totally.

I do think I am going more used where they can found, unless it's never pressed stuff then I have a decision to make. Stick with cd to utilize my changer or......look for cassette to utilize THAT component.
    Don't get the Love Supreme complete set that just came out. Supposedly poor quality control.  There's one from a few years ago that's better.  I have the ID if you need it. 

Engineers...  Kevin Gray is tops.  Then Bernie Grundman, then probably Krieg W. from mobile fidelity.  Doug Sax is good.  There are more obviously but these guys seem to have very high standards. 

Printing... RTI is best.  Third Man is good.  Pallas in Germany.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Don't get the Love Supreme complete set that just came out. Supposedly poor quality control.  There's one from a few years ago that's better.  I have the ID if you need it. 

Engineers...  Kevin Gray is tops.  Then Bernie Grundman, then probably Krieg W. from mobile fidelity.  Doug Sax is good.  There are more obviously but these guys seem to have very high standards. 

I wasnt clear. failed to mention I bought it. $20 or something. we'll see.

of the unofficials I have gotten the sound seems muted or turned down somehow. official represses sound great.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

of the unofficials I have gotten the sound seems muted or turned down somehow. official represses sound great.
    Unofficial is always a RIP off some sort. I can't see how they could compare with a real stamper. 

As far as Love Supreme,  did you get that "complete" set that includes a live recording? For that price,  sounds like a single album.  That's cheap. 
  • Options
    This  Dexter Gordon album I just bought downtown literally checks all the boxes.  It's called Clubhouse 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    Example... Monk's Dream which were discussing earlier today.  I actually went to my local high end shop today (Audio Exchange in Richmond, VA) and they offered me this for $125, which I think is close to original list, even though it's out of print:  https://www.discogs.com/The-Thelonious-Monk-Quartet-Monks-Dream/release/14174187
    You can see all the details, ratings, who cut the lacquer, where, etc. 
    Whereas I have this copy...  cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearant... https://www.discogs.com/The-Thelonious-Monk-Quartet-Monks-Dream/release/11537615

So you sort of read up on what you're thinking of purchasing, and go from there.  I think MendoK and I are probably on the super anal side of this audiophile thing.  So it just depends on how much time/energy you want to waste. 
    Couldn't have said it better. Just do some reading up on pressings. Analog Planet, Steve Hoffman Forum, see what others are saying but by no means just follow what people say blindly. You have your own ears and you may enjoy it, don't let someone's review change what you think. With that being said, enjoy the music first and foremost.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Say goodbye to any free cash you have. 
  • Options
    Say goodbye to any free cash you have. 
    a little late for that.......

• Options
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Unofficial is always a RIP off some sort. I can't see how they could compare with a real stamper. 

As far as Love Supreme,  did you get that "complete" set that includes a live recording? For that price,  sounds like a single album.  That's cheap. 
    single lp. sound is almost exclusively left channel, which I should expect being mono?
    otherwise sounds good to my ears not knowing a difference between plants/pressings. 

so I'd likely take a chance again on stuff out of Audio Clarity out of Moscow.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

single lp. sound is almost exclusively left channel, which I should expect being mono?
    otherwise sounds good to my ears not knowing a difference between plants/pressings. 

No, mono should appear to be completely centered, both speakers equal.  If it feels left only, that isn’t right.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

No, mono should appear to be completely centered, both speakers equal.  If it feels left only, that isn’t right.
    can hear  on right channel just not equal to left. left is louder by half....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I would probably not buy any more Soviet records then.  Mono should never be like that,  to my knowledge.  Here's the version I have,  which is stereo.  It's a good cut,  but criticism on the pressing.  I have surface noise on side 2....  however.... I took my TT in yesterday to get recalibrated and it turns out I have some damage on my needle,  so I just ordered a new one.  Could be the root of lots of my problems. 

https://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-A-Love-Supreme/release/8268956
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I would probably not buy any more Soviet records then.  Mono should never be like that,  to my knowledge.  Here's the version I have,  which is stereo.  It's a good cut,  but criticism on the pressing.  I have surface noise on side 2....  however.... I took my TT in yesterday to get recalibrated and it turns out I have some damage on my needle,  so I just ordered a new one.  Could be the root of lots of my problems. 

https://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-A-Love-Supreme/release/8268956
    thats another consideration then for me, 80's era stereo, had belt replaced on TT nothing else other that speed test, no dust cover with it. And my receiver is untouched other than cover removal and compressed air blowout from me.

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,917
    mrussel1 said:
    This  Dexter Gordon album I just bought downtown literally checks all the boxes.  It's called Clubhouse 
    Do you have the original LT series version? I'm wondering how they compare. I've read the Tone Poet series can be hit or miss, due to source degradation. I don't know. I'm not too anal about it all, so I probably wouldn't even notice. I will say that when I compared my original mono, deep groove pressing of Blue Train to the MM version, it was very noticeable. The original copy, even though it's in VG condition, sounded far superior to the repress. And like I said, I'm no audiophile and plan to keep it that way.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Do you have the original LT series version? I'm wondering how they compare. I've read the Tone Poet series can be hit or miss, due to source degradation. I don't know. I'm not too anal about it all, so I probably wouldn't even notice. I will say that when I compared my original mono, deep groove pressing of Blue Train to the MM version, it was very noticeable. The original copy, even though it's in VG condition, sounded far superior to the repress. And like I said, I'm no audiophile and plan to keep it that way.
    I don't.  I only have a couple of original jazz records, mostly stuff I could salvage from my parents.  I have a few Tone Poet and no complaints so far.  This particular Dexter Gordon is great!   Your statement on the Blue Train vs MM is really interesting.  But if you have an original of that.. WTF... that's some expensive wax right there.  I don't hope to have that as a comparison.  End of the day, we're all guessing a bit, which is why when it comes to these classics, I go for something touched by Kevin Gray or MOFI, etc, because I know they have high standards for the source of their work.  
  • Options
    couple questions,

automatic cleaners, worth it?

musty odors in the covers, best practice for eliminating these odors?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    couple questions,

I have the okki and love it.  Considering you seem to buy a lot of used, you should consider something.  If you bought mostly new,  there's an easy way with soft soap by hand,  but it takes time and not as effective as a vacuum. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    couple questions,

I have the okki and love it.  Considering you seem to buy a lot of used, you should consider something.  If you bought mostly new,  there's an easy way with soft soap by hand,  but it takes time and not as effective as a vacuum. 
    so yours is vacuum only?

bought one title NEW(claimed) off discogs and the guy said he opened and washed it?

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    couple questions,

I hear those work great.  For my budget, the Spin Clean does the job great.  Some audiophiles don't like the Spin Clean because they say it just moves the same old dirt around the record but I get around that by pre-cleaning any LP's that have visible dust using a microfiber cloth with a good record cleaning spray and then running the LP through the Spin Clean.  And I clean fewer records per batch of solution than the 50 LPs they recommend as the most for each batch.  I also have plenty of extra drying clothes, which I frequently hand-wash in Woolite.  And to top it off, I have a drying rack that I set up in from of a fan on low for total drying.

I know, by now you're probably thinking, just buy the damn Okki Nokki!  :lol:  But seriously, I like my Zen-like meditative hand cleaning method and it works great.   Ooooommmm...

An anti-static record brush is a good idea before each play as well. 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    couple questions,

so ole buddy ole pal, my birthday is in july.....

glad I wasn't drinking anything when I saw that peice on Amazon ...

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    couple questions,

yeah it's five bills, so not cheap.  My wife bought it as an anniversary present for me a few years ago.  The Spin Clean that Brian mentioned has a very good reputation. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    couple questions,

yeah it's five bills, so not cheap.  My wife bought it as an anniversary present for me a few years ago.  The Spin Clean that Brian mentioned has a very good reputation. 
    Yeah, I do well for myself but aint there yet.

although,  I am now eligible for twice yearly profit sharing bonuses.... hmmmmm.....