Best Albums of the decade

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Paul Simon lol. Keep Rolling Stone-ing it RS.

• Paul Simon lol. Keep Rolling Stone-ing it RS.

Just think if Dylan put out an album?

Or did he?

The proper response here is "ok Boomer"
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    edited December 2019
    Ray Lamontage - Ourosboros
    Jim James - eternally even
    fleet Foxes - crack up
    Band of Horses - Mirage Rock
    Arcade Fire - Suburbs 
    Black Pumas - Black Pumas
    My Morning Jacket - Circuital 
    Spoon - They Want My Soul
    Beck - Hyperspace
    Drive By Truckers - American Band 
    My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall
    Arcade Fire - Reflecktor
    Beck - Colors 
    the War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding

Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • Ray Lamontage - Ourosboros
    Jim James - eternally even
    fleet Foxes - crack up
    Band of Horses - Mirage Rock
    Arcade Fire - Suburbs 
    Black Pumas - Black Pumas
    My Morning Jacket - Circuital 
    Spoon - They Want My Soul
    Beck - Hyperspace
    Drive By Truckers - American Band 
    My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall
    Arcade Fire - Reflecktor

You like Hyperspace more than colors?
  • Right now yes, but may be recency bias. I’m really into the album right now.  I should put Colors on the list too. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    YTCracker - Introducing Neals - probably my favorite album of the decade, the rest are in no particular order
    Veruca Salt - Ghost Notes
    Pearl Jam - Constitution Hall 9/19/98
    Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt
    Metric - Art of Doubt
    Ghost - Meliora
    Hilltop Hoods - Drinking From The Sun
    Hilltop Hoods - The Great Expanse
    Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania
    Jenny Lewis - Voyager
    Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
    Nine Inch Nails - Not The Actual Events/Add Violence/Bad Witch
    Battles - Gloss Drop
    Rush - Clockwork Angels
    Lady Gaga - Born This Way
    Lady Gaga - Joanne
    Meg Myers - Sorry
    Billy Strings - Home
    Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
    Billlie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
    Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob
    The Chats - Get This In Ya
    Illy - The Chase
    360 - Falling & Flying

Obviously this is mostly shit I listen to and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff...
    An American digging Aussie hip hop, would never have thought.
    The only hip hop I listen to these days.  I just caught the Hoods on tour here last month.  Those dudes sell out Rod Laver and I got to see them in a 600 capacity club!
    Awesome. I just thought an American would dislike the Aussie accents in hip hop. I don't listen to them, I know only a few songs and like them. Just haven't really gotten the motivation to listen to any Aussie hip hop. I'm more of a rock guy. At least it's not all gangsta bling bling right?
    Exactly.  It's why I can't listen to American hip-hop anymore.  Nothing but poppin bottles, flaunting cash, fur coats, exotic cars, and naked chicks. Not that there's anything wrong with naked chicks, but when they're just there to be eye candy it doesn't add any substance to the music.  The Aussies are closer to what hip hop was in the 80's here.  Rapping about personal issues, struggles, family life, where they grew up, or just having good times. There's actual content in the lyrics, not just bragging about how rich you are.
    You should listen to Kendrick Lamar, J-Cole, Mack Miller, and a few of the other artists from the 08/09 breakout.  They are what you are looking for.

Modern guys like Kodak Black and Meek are in the same category.
    I tried Kendrick Lamar.  Sounds like all the other crap to me.
  • YTCracker - Introducing Neals - probably my favorite album of the decade, the rest are in no particular order
    Metric - Art of Doubt
    Ghost - Meliora
    Jenny Lewis - Voyager
    Battles - Gloss Drop
    Rush - Clockwork Angels
    Lady Gaga - Joanne
    Meg Myers - Sorry
    Billy Strings - Home
    Illy - The Chase
    360 - Falling & Flying

Obviously this is mostly shit I listen to and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff...
    The only hip hop I listen to these days.  I just caught the Hoods on tour here last month.  Those dudes sell out Rod Laver and I got to see them in a 600 capacity club!
    Awesome. I just thought an American would dislike the Aussie accents in hip hop. I don't listen to them, I know only a few songs and like them. Just haven't really gotten the motivation to listen to any Aussie hip hop. I'm more of a rock guy. At least it's not all gangsta bling bling right?
    Exactly.  It's why I can't listen to American hip-hop anymore.  Nothing but poppin bottles, flaunting cash, fur coats, exotic cars, and naked chicks. Not that there's anything wrong with naked chicks, but when they're just there to be eye candy it doesn't add any substance to the music.  The Aussies are closer to what hip hop was in the 80's here.  Rapping about personal issues, struggles, family life, where they grew up, or just having good times. There's actual content in the lyrics, not just bragging about how rich you are.
    You should listen to Kendrick Lamar, J-Cole, Mack Miller, and a few of the other artists from the 08/09 breakout.  They are what you are looking for.

You mean the beats or the lyrics?

Either way, if Kendrick doesn't sway you then I've got nothing for you...
    Yeah, Kendrick is certainly not 'Get Money Cars Bitches'. 
    YTCracker - Introducing Neals - probably my favorite album of the decade, the rest are in no particular order
    Metric - Art of Doubt
    Ghost - Meliora
    Jenny Lewis - Voyager
    Battles - Gloss Drop
    Rush - Clockwork Angels
    Lady Gaga - Joanne
    Meg Myers - Sorry
    Billy Strings - Home
    Illy - The Chase
    360 - Falling & Flying

I don't like the music itself.
  • YTCracker - Introducing Neals - probably my favorite album of the decade, the rest are in no particular order
    Metric - Art of Doubt
    Ghost - Meliora
    Jenny Lewis - Voyager
    Battles - Gloss Drop
    Rush - Clockwork Angels
    Lady Gaga - Joanne
    Meg Myers - Sorry
    Billy Strings - Home
    Illy - The Chase
    360 - Falling & Flying

I don't like the music itself.
    That's fair.  The old days of sampling in hip hop are dead.  You can thank everyone that sued for rights and stuff for a 2 second beat for that one.  

It's funny because now no one gets to revisit older soul music like it should because of it...
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Kendrick is the only rap I can listen to now.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I can’t do Kendrick either. I don’t know if that’s an affect on his voice or his voice but it drives me crazy. For today’s rap give me Run the Jewels or Tech 9. Or I’ll just stay old school with some Ice Cube and 90’s gangsta rap. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • I can’t do Kendrick either. I don’t know if that’s an affect on his voice or his voice but it drives me crazy. For today’s rap give me Run the Jewels or Tech 9. Or I’ll just stay old school with some Ice Cube and 90’s gangsta rap. 
    Ice Cube, uhg...

RTJ is good and you know what you're getting when you get that album.  That's about as close to 90's as you'll get.
    I can’t do Kendrick either. I don’t know if that’s an affect on his voice or his voice but it drives me crazy. For today’s rap give me Run the Jewels or Tech 9. Or I’ll just stay old school with some Ice Cube and 90’s gangsta rap. 
    Run the Jewels are decent.  I should check them out more.
    RTJ is great
    Ice Cube, uhg...

RTJ is good and you know what you're getting when you get that album.  That's about as close to 90's as you'll get.
    I love Ice Cube’s Death Certificate and Predator is my favorite. Lethal Injection rules too. Bob Gun! Amazing. 

But the best rap album of all time is DJ Quik- Safe and Sound IMO. the beats, the flow everything is perfect. But the 90’s Bay Area stuff and the hardcore gangsta rap and Biggie and Pac, Wu tang, Snoop, Lil Kim. Not to forget Scarface, Spice 1, The Chronic, Doggystyle. Nothing comes close to that area. Some are great after it, Eminem, Tech 9, RTJ but 90’s R.A.P. is the GOAT era. 
  • I love and hate how much music there is in this world. I always feel like I am forgetting and/or missing out on artists! 

Pearl Jam - LB 
    Rare Creatures - Rare Creatures (the fucking best) 
    Young the Giant - Home of the Strange 
    The Growlers - Hung at Heart 
    The Growlers - Chinese Fountain 
    The Growlers - City Club
    Highly Suspect - Mister Asylum (a masterpiece) 
    Thrice - To Be Everywhere is to Be Nowhere (another masterpiece) 
    Seether - Poision the Parish 
    Badflower - OK, I’m Sick 
    Stop Light Observations - TOOGOODOO 
    Cage the Elephant - Social Cues 
    Foals - Everything Not Saved Will be Lost Part 1&2
    Royal Blood - Royal Blood 
    Royal Blood - How Did we get so Dark 
    Foo Fighters - Concrete and Gold 
    The Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger (seeing it live is what really sparked the love) 
    Rainbow Kitten Surprise - RKS (hidden gem) 
    AWOLNATION - Here Come the Runts 
    Shinedown - Amaryllis 
    Shinedown - Threat to Survival (their best album, just happens to also fall in this decade) 
    Shinedown - Attention Attention
    The Revivalists - Men Amongst Mountains 
    Toadies - The Lower Side of Uptown 
    Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go 
    Three Days Grace - Outsider (still not the same without Adam, but a great album) 
    Twenty One Pilots - Blurryface 

On another note, a lot more great stuff in the second half of the decade if I say so myself. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Can someone please break the code for me on Billie Eilish. She was a good guest on Howard Stern. But I have tried to get into her music and I just don’t see the hype. She always seems to be singing without putting in any effort. Like she never belts anything out. It’s more like a mumble whisper type singing. It’s sorta catchy but nothing like a Taylor Swift song. I just don’t get it but I wish her nothing but success. 
  • Can someone please break the code for me on Billie Eilish. She was a good guest on Howard Stern. But I have tried to get into her music and I just don’t see the hype. She always seems to be singing without putting in any effort. Like she never belts anything out. It’s more like a mumble whisper type singing. It’s sorta catchy but nothing like a Taylor Swift song. I just don’t get it but I wish her nothing but success. 
    I didn’t refuse to listen to the full album at first, but I definitely wasn’t rushing to listen to the whole thing after hearing Bad Guy all the time. I am so glad I got around to it though. It’s very unique and calming. The songs Wish you Were Gay, When the Partys Over and I love you are some seriously great tunes. It all just kind of clicked for me 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Can someone please break the code for me on Billie Eilish. She was a good guest on Howard Stern. But I have tried to get into her music and I just don’t see the hype. She always seems to be singing without putting in any effort. Like she never belts anything out. It’s more like a mumble whisper type singing. It’s sorta catchy but nothing like a Taylor Swift song. I just don’t get it but I wish her nothing but success. 
    I hear ya!! My kids love her and by default I have heard all of her music and I cannot get into it. I like lots of current music, but for me it just does not click. It all sounds like she's trying to hard to be different/alterantive and because of that, just sounds like it's being put on.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    Can someone please break the code for me on Billie Eilish. She was a good guest on Howard Stern. But I have tried to get into her music and I just don’t see the hype. She always seems to be singing without putting in any effort. Like she never belts anything out. It’s more like a mumble whisper type singing. It’s sorta catchy but nothing like a Taylor Swift song. I just don’t get it but I wish her nothing but success. 
    My thoughts exactly
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I love and hate how much music there is in this world. I always feel like I am forgetting and/or missing out on artists! 

Pearl Jam - LB 
    Rare Creatures - Rare Creatures (the fucking best) 
    Young the Giant - Home of the Strange 
    The Growlers - Hung at Heart 
    The Growlers - Chinese Fountain 
    The Growlers - City Club
    Highly Suspect - Mister Asylum (a masterpiece) 
    Thrice - To Be Everywhere is to Be Nowhere (another masterpiece) 
    Seether - Poision the Parish 
    Badflower - OK, I’m Sick 
    Stop Light Observations - TOOGOODOO 
    Cage the Elephant - Social Cues 
    Foals - Everything Not Saved Will be Lost Part 1&2
    Royal Blood - Royal Blood 
    Royal Blood - How Did we get so Dark 
    Foo Fighters - Concrete and Gold 
    The Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger (seeing it live is what really sparked the love) 
    Rainbow Kitten Surprise - RKS (hidden gem) 
    AWOLNATION - Here Come the Runts 
    Shinedown - Amaryllis 
    Shinedown - Threat to Survival (their best album, just happens to also fall in this decade) 
    Shinedown - Attention Attention
    The Revivalists - Men Amongst Mountains 
    Toadies - The Lower Side of Uptown 
    Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go 
    Three Days Grace - Outsider (still not the same without Adam, but a great album) 
    Twenty One Pilots - Blurryface 

On another note, a lot more great stuff in the second half of the decade if I say so myself. 
    I don't know how people have the time, patience, and money to listen to so many albums.
    Really? A streaming service is $10 a month and you get all the music in the world. 
  • Really? A streaming service is $10 a month and you get all the music in the world. 
    One of the coolest stats from the year in review thing from Spotify was seeing I discovered over 100 new artists this year.  
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    I wish Apple Music did a deep stat dive. They just tell you most artist spins, your top 40 songs for the year and top 10 most played albums. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited December 2019

Really? A streaming service is $10 a month and you get all the music in the world. 
    One of the coolest stats from the year in review thing from Spotify was seeing I discovered over 100 new artists this year.  
    No doubt - Spotify is one of the best things that ever happened to me, music-wise, lol. I don't know how I'd live without it now. It told me that in 2019 I discovered 451 artists!! That number shocked me a bit, but really makes me glad, and grateful for Spotify.
    My artist of the decade was The Tragically Hip, which also pleased me, and I do consider Man Machine Poem to be one of my albums of the decade. Also Like Clockwork and Villains, and Egypt Station  by McCartney, Joseph Arthur's The Ballad of Boogie Christ and Redemption City, and I think I'll throw both RNDM albums in there while I'm at it- I love RNDM. Andra Day's Cheers to the Fall is great, that Black Pumas album is too, Jack White had a couple great ones, Gary Clarke Jr's latest, The War On Drugs had two beauties, Ryan Adam's 1989 is fantastic (even though it's a cover), Beck's Morning Phase ........... (no PJ in there though. They didn't even come close, sadly, and I admit I am surprised so many have LB in their lists here).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I don't believe in Spotify. They rip off artists.
    I will always buy the CD or iTunes download.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited December 2019

There are quite a few artists who can thank Spotify for leading me to spend money on their vinyl and their shows.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

There quite a few artists who can thank Spotify for leading me to spend money on their vinyl and their shows.
    That’s a good point. If I didn’t have the ability to discover them for free, I wouldn’t buy their stuff or seek to see them live. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016